Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New MMO IP by ZeniMax, new engine as well

Comments

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    This is going to be an mmo?
    Does zenimax make single player games?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Remali said:
    This is going to be an mmo?
    Does zenimax make single player games?
    Zenimax Online Systems is the MMO branch of Zenimax Inc. So no, they only make MMOs.
    NanfoodleAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I do wonder if its a IP from the parent company single player games or a unique IP? Maybe they are buying one? 
    AlBQuirky
    Nanfoodle said:
    I do wonder if its a IP from the parent company single player games or a unique IP? Maybe they are buying one? 
    My bet is that we'll get a reveal of the project in the not too distant future. This thing has been in the works for about 4 years. The only news is that in the past year and a half or so they have admitted that the rumors were true.

https://mmos.com/news/zenimax-president-matt-firor-confirms-new-aaa-game-in-the-works

NanfoodleBruceYeeAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Nanfoodle said:

No matter which, I'm betting a game that Microsoft has any involvement in will have Gates all over it.  Gated content = pay walls.  And I thought Paradox's DLC system was far too expensive.

GdemamiAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:

No matter which, I'm betting a game that Microsoft has any involvement in will have Gates all over it.  Gated content = pay walls.  And I thought Paradox's DLC system was far too expensive.

See my post above. This project started long before MS was anywhere in the picture.
    AlBQuirky

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:

See my post above. This project started long before MS was anywhere in the picture.

Okay, retrofitted Gates, then.

IselinAlBQuirky

Mendel said:
    Iselin said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:

All MMOs have paywalls, ever free ones. 
    AlBQuirky
    Mendel said:
    Iselin said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Yeah well ZOS doesn't need any extra pushes to be all in on paywalls, MTX and lootboxes. They jumped into that pool with both feet a few years ago. If anything, MS might be a moderating influence lol.
    SensaiNanfoodleNyghthowlerAlBQuirky

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Mendel said:
    Iselin said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Yeah well ZOS doesn't need any extra pushes to be all in on paywalls, MTX and lootboxes. They jumped into that pool with both feet a few years ago. If anything, MS might be a moderating influence lol.
    I really liked ESO payment model. Wanna play for free, do that. Want to buy what you want to play, that works as well. Want to get everything a sub will get you everything including cash shop items. 
    BrainyAlBQuirky
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:
    Mendel said:
    Iselin said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I really liked ESO payment model. Wanna play for free, do that. Want to buy what you want to play, that works as well. Want to get everything a sub will get you everything including cash shop items. 
    It's better than some but a lot of their crown store stuff is way over priced, the distinction between Chapters and DLC is dodgy and then there's the loot boxes.

I give their cash shop a C-
    KyleranSensaiMendelRemaliGdemamiNyghthowlerBrainyAlBQuirky

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:
    Mendel said:
    Iselin said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:

It's better than some but a lot of their crown store stuff is way over priced, the distinction between Chapters and DLC is dodgy and then there's the loot boxes.

I never spent extra money on the cash shop but subbed for full access. I like things simple and subbing to a game. So I always saw the stuff I got from the cash shop as a bonus =-) SWToR used the same system. I would give it a solid B rating but I would rather a B2P with Sub over any mess with a cash shop. 
    itchmonAlBQuirky
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:
    Mendel said:
    Iselin said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I've never been sold on the differences between Chapters, DLC, Seasons and Subscriptions.  There's far too much overlap, and with a limited gaming budget, I don't need such decisions.  If the idea is ultimately a la carte gaming, I can get behind that if the prices are reasonable, but please talk to my cable provider first.

GdemamiAlBQuirky

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I am curious to hear more. Whilst I didn't like ESO, it is at least clear that Zeni has learned plenty of lessons from their first foray into the mmo world.

Top of my wishlist for the new game:

Depth in combat mechanics - the shallowness of ESO's combat is the primary reason i disliked the game, so I'd love more depth in the new one.

More roles - related to depth I guess, but the trinity isn't enough for me. I find it too limiting when it comes to tactics, adding in cc, buffers, debuffers, off-tanks etc opens up more tactical options.

Horizontal Progression - Zeni have been on a journey towards this in eso. started vertical, encountered all the usual problems with vertical, then squashed it with scaling. logical step is to go horizontal from the start in their next game.

Normal servers (with minimal instancing) - whilst I fully understand the benefits of mega-servers, I prefer normal servers. they result in a better community which is something i care about.

Can't even begin to guess on the IP. First thought (given recent MS buyout) is I'd love a Gears of War MMORPG! I highly doubt it though. If it's going to be a fantasy MMO, then I just hope that the orcs are good!
    NanfoodleAlBQuirky
    edited October 2020
    I am curious to hear more. Whilst I didn't like ESO, it is at least clear that Zeni has learned plenty of lessons from their first foray into the mmo world.

Top of my wishlist for the new game:

Depth in combat mechanics - the shallowness of ESO's combat is the primary reason i disliked the game, so I'd love more depth in the new one.

More roles - related to depth I guess, but the trinity isn't enough for me. I find it too limiting when it comes to tactics, adding in cc, buffers, debuffers, off-tanks etc opens up more tactical options.

Horizontal Progression - Zeni have been on a journey towards this in eso. started vertical, encountered all the usual problems with vertical, then squashed it with scaling. logical step is to go horizontal from the start in their next game.

Normal servers (with minimal instancing) - whilst I fully understand the benefits of mega-servers, I prefer normal servers. they result in a better community which is something i care about.

Can't even begin to guess on the IP. First thought (given recent MS buyout) is I'd love a Gears of War MMORPG! I highly doubt it though. If it's going to be a fantasy MMO, then I just hope that the orcs are good!
    As was pointed out above Ieslin, this has been in the works long before MS come into the picture. I do like your list =-)
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    As for the money aspect, I think Microsoft really wants to push its subscription service.  I'd expect games coming forward to favor that model.  

Will be interesting to see what  Zeni/Bethesda does with it.
    KyleranAlBQuirky

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited October 2020
    As for the money aspect, I think Microsoft really wants to push its subscription service.  I'd expect games coming forward to favor that model.  

Will be interesting to see what  Zeni/Bethesda does with it.
    All part of the GaaS model, the GamePass gives access to FO76, but it's the additional Fallout 1st subscription and Atom store sales where the big money lies.

I expect this new title to be more of the same, taking the lessons learned to date in order to better separate gamers from their money.

;)
    [Deleted User]IselinAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The Hero Engine had the best dev tools for creating content. It will be interesting to see if they can improve upon it since the underpinnings of that engine are 15 years old. 
    Gdemami[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Well since MS bought them...i will wait till they say for sure that the game is being released...MS is bad about killing games if they do not turn out to make them cash.

That and they may turn it into an x-box exclusive or something dumb like that:)

Never know what will happen a few years out. Some decisions that these corp's make leave me scratching my head, wondering what they were thinking.
    AlBQuirky
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think Microsoft Windows Phone was a superior product, but they didn't continually invest like they should have to enter a crowded market and they tried to make their own hardware.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The article never mentions it being an MMO so let's not put the label on the game before we even hear about what they are making. Not all online games are MMO unless you work for superdata.

SovrathAlBQuirky
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Shaigh said:
    The article never mentions it being an MMO so let's not put the label on the game before we even hear about what they are making. Not all online games are MMO unless you work for superdata.

Good catch. It will probably be an online game though as I believe that was the thrust of what Zenimax wanted to do; create online games.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Agreed, if it had been any other company, it would have been.free of all such transactions.  I mean really, would anyone besides Microsoft do such a thing....absolutely not.
    AlBQuirky

I self identify as a monkey.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:

From a product like windows it is good to have gates too...sorry could not resist.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkycheyane

mgilbrtsn said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Agreed, if it had been any other company, it would have been.free of all such transactions.  I mean really, would anyone besides Microsoft do such a thing....absolutely not.
    What MMO is truly free? All MMOs have paywalls. ZeniMax does this with ESO, we gonna blame MS for that as well?
    [Deleted User]GdemamiAlBQuirky