Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo IV's Skill System is Getting Huge Changes | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageDiablo IV's Skill System is Getting Huge Changes | MMORPG.com

Blizzard shared some new details about the skill system in the upcoming Diablo IV and how they're changing it to allow for build diversity.

Read the full story here


«1

Comments

  • Allwynd_01Allwynd_01 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    This doesn't look that much impressive. Looks like what mobile games typically offer.



    What pains me the most is that Diablo 4 will follow the trend of Diablo 3 with being online-only even if you plan to play all by yourself in single player.

    I don't have any other explanation about that than just corporate greed - make it online-only so people can't pirate it... Well, newsflash! There is a private Diablo 3 server out there that's as simpler to set up than any WoW private server.

    What if I'm somewhere in the mountains with my laptop and there is no internet connection and I want to play the game I bought with my own money that I gave to Activision B. (Diablo 4)? What if my connection speed is very slow and unstable and it makes playing the game downright impossible even in normal conditions? What if I'm on a laptop or a PC with UPS and the power cuts out and the internet dies with it and I'm in a middle of a session?

    I can continue to list scenarios where it just feels outright unfair that they made this online-only, but everyone would get my point by now so it's needless to go on.

    For this reason alone I will not buy the game, even if it turns out to be the most amazing Diablo game to date (which it won't). I find this to be a huge shame and I'm very disappointed by it.
    GorweFuryVIceAgeAsm0deusunfilteredJWqoma
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,903
    I would really like a hybridization of both the D3 runes and the classic D2/PoE style expansive skill webs.

    The D3 runes were great for short term, very tangible choices that feel immediately impactful.

    The big skill trees are good for long term progression, but they take a long ass time to have any noticeable effect.

    Both really compensate for the other's weaknesses.
    GorweWaan[Deleted User]kitarad
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,482
    So, it's the inverse of Rift? Passives are now roots and Actives branches...
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,903
    Gorwe said:
    So, it's the inverse of Rift? Passives are now roots and Actives branches...
    You know, I always thought that Rift had a foundationally great build system. The only real problem is that, as a trinity game, it was loaded with aggro/taunt based skills that had no application in PvP, which made a lot of potentially cool combinations substantially less so.
    [Deleted User]Gorwe
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,482


    This doesn't look that much impressive. Looks like what mobile games typically offer.







    What pains me the most is that Diablo 4 will follow the trend of Diablo 3 with being online-only even if you plan to play all by yourself in single player.



    I don't have any other explanation about that than just corporate greed - make it online-only so people can't pirate it... Well, newsflash! There is a private Diablo 3 server out there that's as simpler to set up than any WoW private server.



    What if I'm somewhere in the mountains with my laptop and there is no internet connection and I want to play the game I bought with my own money that I gave to Activision B. (Diablo 4)? What if my connection speed is very slow and unstable and it makes playing the game downright impossible even in normal conditions? What if I'm on a laptop or a PC with UPS and the power cuts out and the internet dies with it and I'm in a middle of a session?



    I can continue to list scenarios where it just feels outright unfair that they made this online-only, but everyone would get my point by now so it's needless to go on.



    For this reason alone I will not buy the game, even if it turns out to be the most amazing Diablo game to date (which it won't). I find this to be a huge shame and I'm very disappointed by it.



    Wait, private D3 server(s)? I mean, you still have to be connected to some shit...wtb "Offline Mode"!
    GamePlay4U
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2020
    Gone are the days of offline play with this company. Doesn't help with rumors of D2 Remaster on the horizon at next year's BlizzcONline....can't wait for them to screw up a game I've loved for years and force you to take the 'upgrade' like they did with Warcraft 3 Refunded.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Is that pic of the new or old skill tree? Either way that's not a lot of options at all..

    At first glance if you count the number of points and lines it just looks like all of ESO's skill lines pasted onto a tree..

    I'm guessing the squares are actives and circles are passives?

    Why are they pretending like what's in that pic is a lot of options..

    The tree should be 2-3+ times larger than that for the amount of money they have to spend on the game.
    GamePlay4U
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    IMO, the real problems with the whole Diablo franchise is that it's too reliant on gear and relegates class skills to 2nd class status and their strictly class based system.

    I get that they're looters and gear has to be prominent but what they really should be focusing on is a better balance between skills and loot for builds.

    In D3's end game (T16+) skills are irrelevant unless your gear buffs the crap out of it, typically with a set buffing just one or two things.

    They took a step in the right direction when they added the Legacy of Dreams gem last year in that it buffs all skills depending on gem level and number of legendary items you equip. That opened up build possibilities quite a bit making the better LoD builds perform on par with set builds but even then you're still relying on key legendary items to buff the one skill you want to use. You're just not quite as locked into which skill to use with LoD... as long as the class has legendaries that buff the skill you want to use.

    I'd rather see them add hard to find or train skills that any class can use be on par power wise with hard to find gear as the things you try to get.

    The skill tree looks interesting enough but it's meaningless until we know more about the gear they have planned to go along with the skills and how much it buffs what.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

    ― Umberto Eco

    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,156


    This doesn't look that much impressive. Looks like what mobile games typically offer.








    What if I'm somewhere in the mountains with my laptop and there is no internet connection and I want to play the game I bought with my own money that I gave to Activision B. (Diablo 4)?



    If you are somewhere in the mountains and you want to play Diablo 4, or any other ...serious game, then you are in the wrong .. map!

    I mean who the hell goes in a vacation, trip, etc in the mountains, and wants to play games like D4?! Some ..very causal mobile games here and there for 10-30 mins? Yea, MAY BE! But serious games? HELLO! You are in the middle of nowhere ( if you don't have internet connection ), which means you want to relax and not do things you usually do from home.

    This ..thing that you MIGHT be in mountains without an internet connection or that your internet connection is very slow .. like .. how many times you where in this situation in the last..year? Or this year?

    I am 99% sure that most of the people who cries over "Always Online", usually ... are ALWASY ONLINE!

    Diablo games are usually pretty competitive. D2 was/is a ..paradise for hacking/cracking/etc. Always Online is..always the best option. You also have the option of not buying it.

    Yes, they can theoretically and..literally make an offline mode here, but the "pain" is not worthy. Every Blizzard game is linked to their Battle Net launcher. An offline mode, means ..an offline .exe , which also means that you will see plenty of youtube video which goes by "LEARN HOW YOU CAN GET THE MOST POWERFUL ITEMS IN D4! CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE CRACK". And guess what will happen? Viruses in most cases which where will the..end user "cry" to? Yup, they will email Blizzard that they got viruses and "WHAT SHOULD I DO?? PLZ HELP!"

    So yea, not worth it.





    Asm0deussschruppGorwe

    Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400

    FuryV said:





    This doesn't look that much impressive. Looks like what mobile games typically offer.











    What pains me the most is that Diablo 4 will follow the trend of Diablo 3 with being online-only even if you plan to play all by yourself in single player.





    I don't have any other explanation about that than just corporate greed - make it online-only so people can't pirate it... Well, newsflash! There is a private Diablo 3 server out there that's as simpler to set up than any WoW private server.





    What if I'm somewhere in the mountains with my laptop and there is no internet connection and I want to play the game I bought with my own money that I gave to Activision B. (Diablo 4)? What if my connection speed is very slow and unstable and it makes playing the game downright impossible even in normal conditions? What if I'm on a laptop or a PC with UPS and the power cuts out and the internet dies with it and I'm in a middle of a session?





    I can continue to list scenarios where it just feels outright unfair that they made this online-only, but everyone would get my point by now so it's needless to go on.





    For this reason alone I will not buy the game, even if it turns out to be the most amazing Diablo game to date (which it won't). I find this to be a huge shame and I'm very disappointed by it.






    Oh shutup.



    It's sheep like you that are the reason this happens in the industry. I wouldn't imagine if in the future you will pay to get burglarized because it was advertised on a fancy commercial and you thought it was hip...

    Get a reality check.
    You get a reality check.  I don't like Online only mode either, but to say it's corporate greed to want to protect your product from thieves is ridiculous.  Blame the pirating community that the companies are reacting to.


  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

    Albatroes said:

    Gone are the days of offline play with this company. Doesn't help with rumors of D2 Remaster on the horizon at next year's BlizzcONline....can't wait for them to screw up a game I've loved for years and force you to take the 'upgrade' like they did with Warcraft 3 Refunded.



    you can already play D2 remastered thru Grim Dawn mod ( well done ill add)

    https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/mod-reign-of-terror/35347

  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,952
    I'd say they are at least two years from even evolving their designs into something interesting and demonstrable.  But at least they are communicating.  I just have no faith in them and let the more optimistic provide feedback and dialogue.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,266
    "We believe that the end game progression system is where the difficult to master component will come in, and should meet the expectations of the most hardcore Diablo players out there."

    I didn't play D2, but wasn't the fun grinding end game for better gear without actually a ton of difficulty? I know I enjoy in POE being able to slice through maps to look for upgrades, as small as it may be.

    I remember early in D3 a major gripe was the enemies were too tough to make clears fast and easy and loot drops were rarely ever good enough to be upgrades.

    Does that last part sound like they are saying the grind will be difficult, or just getting the right build will be?

    Will you care if end game is terribly difficult, or do you prefer end game to work that way?
  • GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 304
    I love the skill tree. I think there is going to be so much more to it than the first glance reveals. Looks like there will be tons of options. The UI graphic is gritty and dark too. Very diablo feeling but still new.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 8,004
    Is this the "don't  you all have phones" game?

  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,903
    kitarad said:
    Is this the "don't  you all have phones" game?
    Not sure if you're asking a legit question or not. Tone is hard to interpret.

    Diablo Immortal is the 'don't you all have phones' game. Diablo 4 is the proper PC/console Diablo game.
    kitarad
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 8,004
    No serious question. I thought there was only the mobile game coming out.

  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,952
    edited October 2020
    kitarad said:
    No serious question. I thought there was only the mobile game coming out.
    You missed this?  It's a pretty amazing trailer honestly


  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,244
    edited October 2020

    Hmmmmm, i like the Art of the tree, but as a system for skill allocation, i really believe they can do a lot better then this.

     

    EDIT: If it were me though, and the team was deadset on using the whole evil tree visual, i would lean the hell in to that, and go nuts, and use ever tiny branch, every bit of bark texture, as a skill path.

     

    Essentially, a serious Diablo 4 project would be set on trying to out class it's competitor" "Path of Exile" and PoE's skill node system is bonkersvill.

     

    The diablo 4 team needs to out do that, and by looking at this tree; it's not even coming close to outclassing PoE; and that should be their motivation to raise the bar here.



    Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Neoyoshi said:

    Hmmmmm, i like the Art of the tree, but as a system for skill allocation, i really believe they can do a lot better then this.

     

    EDIT: If it were me though, and the team was deadset on using the whole evil tree visual, i would lean the hell in to that, and go nuts, and use ever tiny branch, every bit of bark texture, as a skill path.

     

    Essentially, a serious Diablo 4 project would be set on trying to out class it's competitor" "Path of Exile" and PoE's skill node system is bonkersvill.

     

    The diablo 4 team needs to out do that, and by looking at this tree; it's not even coming close to outclassing PoE; and that should be their motivation to raise the bar here.

    I think the last thing D4 needs is a bigger skilltree then the bloated clusterf that is PoE. What D4 needs is several systems of actives/passives/modifiers that all have an effect on each other. Last Epoch is really the game to look at and outdo.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]FrodoFragins
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...



    'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

    It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

    It is just huge resource waste....'

    Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,482
    Aeander said:
    Gorwe said:
    So, it's the inverse of Rift? Passives are now roots and Actives branches...
    You know, I always thought that Rift had a foundationally great build system. The only real problem is that, as a trinity game, it was loaded with aggro/taunt based skills that had no application in PvP, which made a lot of potentially cool combinations substantially less so.
    Rift had so many good ideas, too bad it didn't go anywhere. I mean, you had the sexy skill tree, the entire Defiant faction etc, but then you had the completely vanilla implementation, gameplay, Human/Dwarf/Elf faction...

    ...the game could've been so good, sadly it is not. And now it's dead, fitting, no?
    Aeander
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,903
    Gorwe said:
    Aeander said:
    Gorwe said:
    So, it's the inverse of Rift? Passives are now roots and Actives branches...
    You know, I always thought that Rift had a foundationally great build system. The only real problem is that, as a trinity game, it was loaded with aggro/taunt based skills that had no application in PvP, which made a lot of potentially cool combinations substantially less so.
    Rift had so many good ideas, too bad it didn't go anywhere. I mean, you had the sexy skill tree, the entire Defiant faction etc, but then you had the completely vanilla implementation, gameplay, Human/Dwarf/Elf faction...

    ...the game could've been so good, sadly it is not. And now it's dead, fitting, no?
    The game had so many good ideas, but it was made by Trion.

    Just summarized for you.
    Gorwe
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,482
    edited October 2020
    Aeander said:
    Gorwe said:
    Aeander said:
    Gorwe said:
    So, it's the inverse of Rift? Passives are now roots and Actives branches...
    You know, I always thought that Rift had a foundationally great build system. The only real problem is that, as a trinity game, it was loaded with aggro/taunt based skills that had no application in PvP, which made a lot of potentially cool combinations substantially less so.
    Rift had so many good ideas, too bad it didn't go anywhere. I mean, you had the sexy skill tree, the entire Defiant faction etc, but then you had the completely vanilla implementation, gameplay, Human/Dwarf/Elf faction...

    ...the game could've been so good, sadly it is not. And now it's dead, fitting, no?
    The game had so many good ideas, but it was made by Trion.

    Just summarized for you.
    I just wanted to contrast the very creative Defiants to ... whatever the other mediocre / boring faction is. Look... :)
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gorwe said:
    Aeander said:
    Gorwe said:
    Aeander said:
    Gorwe said:
    So, it's the inverse of Rift? Passives are now roots and Actives branches...
    You know, I always thought that Rift had a foundationally great build system. The only real problem is that, as a trinity game, it was loaded with aggro/taunt based skills that had no application in PvP, which made a lot of potentially cool combinations substantially less so.
    Rift had so many good ideas, too bad it didn't go anywhere. I mean, you had the sexy skill tree, the entire Defiant faction etc, but then you had the completely vanilla implementation, gameplay, Human/Dwarf/Elf faction...

    ...the game could've been so good, sadly it is not. And now it's dead, fitting, no?
    The game had so many good ideas, but it was made by Trion.

    Just summarized for you.
    I just wanted to contrast the very creative Defiants to ... whatever the other mediocre / boring faction is. Look... :)
    Rift, a game about souls while lacking one itself.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...



    'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

    It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

    It is just huge resource waste....'

    Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 8,004
    kitarad said:
    No serious question. I thought there was only the mobile game coming out.
    You missed this?  It's a pretty amazing trailer honestly


    I think I did watch it. Didn't click though that it was another Diablo game, must have watched without reading what it was about.

Sign In or Register to comment.