Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CD Projekt RED Employee Email Reveals Mandatory 6-Day Work Weeks Ahead of Cyberpunk 2077's Launch |

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageCD Projekt RED Employee Email Reveals Mandatory 6-Day Work Weeks Ahead of Cyberpunk 2077's Launch | MMORPG.com

According to Bloomberg reporting by Jason Schreier, it sounds like an internal email from Cyberpunk 2077's CD Projekt RED on Monday informed employees that 6-day work weeks would be required until the game's November 19 launch.

Read the full story here


«134

Comments

  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 17,105
    I know the expected reaction is going to be to call the company evil and talk about their "mistreatment" of their employees, but this is quite reasonable. So they have to work an extra (paid) day a week for 6 weeks. Wow... a whopping 6 extra days...

    My company will institute mandatory OT from Nov 1 to Jan 15

    It's called running a business that has peaks and deadlines.
    YashaXAlomarPirrayaSandmanjwJeroKaneetlaralin1209klash2defGobstopper3DForgrimmand 8 others.

    All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    No wonder he wants to stay anonymous. It's a bullshit complaint.
    YashaXPirrayaJeroKaneetlaralin1209ForgrimmzigalucardValentinaMcSleazNyghthowlerand 1 other.
    10
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    In the HVACR industry in So Cal, we regularly work 6-7 days a week through out the whole summer.
    Kootur
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,677
    Any sympathy I might have had vanished with "paid overtime."

    Over 40 years working white collar office jobs, lots of extra overtime hours, never paid for any of them.

    I need to relocate to Poland apparently.


    YashaXPirrayaJeroKanealin1209xpsyncNyghthowlerKooturZeneren

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,902
    One extra day a week for 6 weeks sounds reasonable.

    If someone's already been required to work a lot of overtime, and then will also be required to do it a lot immediately after launch to fix bugs etc. that could quickly be demanding too much. But for those who only need to do these 6 weeks, a company is allowed to occasionally be busy as long as they pay their employees for that extra time.
    [Deleted User]DhampirPirrayaNyghthowlerKootur
     
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,050


    I know the expected reaction is going to be to call the company evil and talk about their "mistreatment" of their employees, but this is quite reasonable. So they have to work an extra (paid) day a week for 6 weeks. Wow... a whopping 6 extra days...



    My company will institute mandatory OT from Nov 1 to Jan 15



    It's called running a business that has peaks and deadlines.




    I don't have a major issue with it due to the Polish law requiring them to be paid. In the U.S. if you are a salaried worker which most professional jobs are you likely wouldn't get paid.
    YashaXDhampirPirrayaGdemamiKootur
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,050

    Kyleran said:

    Any sympathy I might have had vanished with "paid overtime."

    Over 40 years working white collar office jobs, lots of extra overtime hours, never paid for any of them.

    I need to relocate to Poland apparently.





    Yeah, this is different than what professional salaried jobs in the U.S. get. So, I too have much less of an issue with it.
    GdemamiZeneren
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,272
    In America this is just "all hands on deck"
    Slapshot1188WhiteLanternMikehazigalucardTacticalZombehNyghthowlerKootur
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter
     
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Most of my life I have been working 6+ days a week, they only had to do it for six weeks, nice! How do I sign up :)
    MikehaPirrayaZeneren
    ....
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I get e-mails from my boss at midnight asking for me to do things. I'm not shedding any tears over this.
    PirrayaKootur

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,627
    edited September 2020
    Lots of companies in the US have mandatory overtime. Not sure what the big deal is. It's not like you can't quit if you don't like your job..
    PirrayaNyghthowlerKootur
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Too many focused on the working hours rather than the point of it all.This team claimed they don't like to rush games,give them the time they need to be great.Well they obviously lied but it makes for good press when you already have popular games because you could say anything positive and it would be tough to argue it.

    What I gathered from this that nobody else seem to notice is HOW are they fixing bugs with no beta test lol.So I thought that this just further proves they really do NOT care about the quality of the game because this is like 2 strikes right away proving they don't.

    So I did a quick Google and immediately I found a video that confirmed NO BETA.CDProject Red has been warning people that there is no beta so if you get some Beta invite it is a scam.

    So just like before,if this game is a huge sell and it will be,they can say ANYTHING...oh look at the great amount of care we put into this great game.
    Something I didn't know was the game will have destructive surfaces,how much,well I have my thoughts on that,i suspect VERY limited.There is supposedly also a huge amount of detail gone into "consequences"for your actions,again ,I have my hunch this is VERY limited to your quest givers.

    What else have i stated for the past few weeks,ALL of these dev studios,every last one of them are RUSHING games out for the new console releases.This is one huge massive way to kickstart massive sales from rushed games and for the most part games that could still run on last consoles.

    SailorMom

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Oh what else did I gather from dude's response?But we’ve extended all other possible means of navigating the situation.”


    Well it sounds like he is sort of saying that they have exhausted all measures to avoid these added hours which of course would be total BS because NOBODY is forcing them to rush this out right on time for the new console wars.
    This is in complete contradiction to everything they have claimed they stand for,not that I am in the least surprised,business trumps all.




    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • DhampirDhampir Member UncommonPosts: 172
    wish i got paided for working overtime...salary gets screwed most of the time.
    Kootur
    “Nothing is trivial.”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

    “Sarah: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever...”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,469
    About the only thing interesting in this tidbit of news is that it supports my initial thought of them making the game shorter was due to them trying to make the deadline rather than any metrics BS about the witcher 3 main story line being too long!

    I would be happy to wait a little longer and avoid a rushed game.
    [Deleted User]Gdemamiiamspamicus

    Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.





  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Dudes be white knightiing for six days of paid overtime.

    Oh damn those slave drivers. The brutality of those six long days.

    Like come on there comes a time when outrage is just plain shut up dude no one cares about that six day struggle for some office workers. Literally no one. Their families probably don't even care. Hell most don't care enough to still work there because it's pretty fucking easy.

    Arguably the easiest job ever making games.

    Got us some real 72 hour coal miners in them offices...oh christ I'm done..dude..
    PirrayaGdemamiMazenealKootur
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited September 2020
    remsleep said:
    Tiller said:
    In America this is just "all hands on deck"

    American work culture is super fucked, to the point that working long hours and having minimal time off, shit benefits is expected as normal. 

    It isn't normal.

    And please don't go down the road of naming even worse work cultures in other countries like Japan, Korea etc... that shit is downright abusive

    So much this, working culture in the USA is abominable. It does not represent the rest of western working society in the slightest.

    ”All hands on deck” is just a euphemism for getting abused by your boss and being conditioned into believing that is normal.

    What is being addressed here is an issue because outside of the USA these aren’t acceptable working conditions.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Sandmanjw[Deleted User]etlaralin1209YashaXGdemamirojoArcueidValentinaKootur
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...



    'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

    It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

    It is just huge resource waste....'

    Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527

    lahnmir said:


    remsleep said:


    Tiller said:

    In America this is just "all hands on deck"



    American work culture is super fucked, to the point that working long hours and having minimal time off, shit benefits is expected as normal. 

    It isn't normal.

    And please don't go down the road of naming even worse work cultures in other countries like Japan, Korea etc... that shit is downright abusive



    So much this, working culture in the USA is abominable. It does not represent the rest of western working society in the slightest.

    ”All hands on deck” is just a euphemism for getting abused by your boss and being conditioned into believing that is normal.

    What is being addressed here is an issue because outside of the USA these aren’t acceptable working conditions.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir



    LOL it is called a job...if you do not like it find one you do. When they say work or die...then i will care.

    GdemamiBonejokerValentinaKootur
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Sandmanjw said:

    lahnmir said:


    remsleep said:


    Tiller said:

    In America this is just "all hands on deck"



    American work culture is super fucked, to the point that working long hours and having minimal time off, shit benefits is expected as normal. 

    It isn't normal.

    And please don't go down the road of naming even worse work cultures in other countries like Japan, Korea etc... that shit is downright abusive



    So much this, working culture in the USA is abominable. It does not represent the rest of western working society in the slightest.

    ”All hands on deck” is just a euphemism for getting abused by your boss and being conditioned into believing that is normal.

    What is being addressed here is an issue because outside of the USA these aren’t acceptable working conditions.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir



    LOL it is called a job...if you do not like it find one you do. When they say work or die...then i will care.

    I have a great job actually thank you. It includes 10 weeks off a year, which are being paid. It includes a company car which I can use privately unlimited with gas being paid for by the company, unlimited. I have a 40 hour work week which my employer guards fiercely and all my traveling time to and from work falls within those 40 hours and is being paid for. In case of an emergency I can take leave and will still get paid etc. etc. I think you get the picture.

    What you call a job is being considered rather shitty by many other civilized countries. Being used to extremely low standards doesn’t make them okay, defending them is even worse. There is no pride in overtime, there is no worth in working under extreme conditions, there is no victory in working 50 out of 52 weeks a year, its hollow nonsense.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Iselin[Deleted User]etlarklash2defRidrithYashaXGdemamiBonejokerValentinaKootur
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...



    'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

    It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

    It is just huge resource waste....'

    Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    I like CDProject Red, I enjoy their games.

    But I don't mind calling them hypocrites for everything they've "stood" for. Crunch, Microtransactions, etc.

  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    lahnmir said:
    Sandmanjw said:

    lahnmir said:


    remsleep said:


    Tiller said:

    In America this is just "all hands on deck"



    American work culture is super fucked, to the point that working long hours and having minimal time off, shit benefits is expected as normal. 

    It isn't normal.

    And please don't go down the road of naming even worse work cultures in other countries like Japan, Korea etc... that shit is downright abusive



    So much this, working culture in the USA is abominable. It does not represent the rest of western working society in the slightest.

    ”All hands on deck” is just a euphemism for getting abused by your boss and being conditioned into believing that is normal.

    What is being addressed here is an issue because outside of the USA these aren’t acceptable working conditions.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir



    LOL it is called a job...if you do not like it find one you do. When they say work or die...then i will care.

    I have a great job actually thank you. It includes 10 weeks off a year, which are being paid. It includes a company car which I can use privately unlimited with gas being paid for by the company, unlimited. I have a 40 hour work week which my employer guards fiercely and all my traveling time to and from work falls within those 40 hours and is being paid for. In case of an emergency I can take leave and will still get paid etc. etc. I think you get the picture.

    What you call a job is being considered rather shitty by many other civilized countries. Being used to extremely low standards doesn’t make them okay, defending them is even worse. There is no pride in overtime, there is no worth in working under extreme conditions, there is no victory in working 50 out of 52 weeks a year, its hollow nonsense.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I agree in large part with your take on the almost nationalistic pride some take on having shitty working conditions... kind of reminds of that old Dire Straits song, Money for Nothing :)

    I had similar working conditions to yours - many weeks per year of vacation, unlimited paid gas, paid OT, etc.

    But there were also deadlines that needed to be met that despite efforts to manage as well as possible ahead of time resulted in deadline crunch.

    It's impossible not to have some sort of crunch as a deadline approaches. This happens even if you work independently when you "impose" the crunch on yourself.

    But it's a totally different thing than having shit working conditions year around... and being proud of them.

    At any rate this is not exactly news. Back in February CDPR anticipated that there would be some crunch nearing release: https://www.vg247.com/2020/01/17/cyberpunk-2077-cd-projekt-admits-crunch-will-happen/


    lahnmir[Deleted User]YashaXGdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

    ― Umberto Eco

    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Iselin said:
    lahnmir said:
    Sandmanjw said:

    lahnmir said:


    remsleep said:


    Tiller said:

    In America this is just "all hands on deck"



    American work culture is super fucked, to the point that working long hours and having minimal time off, shit benefits is expected as normal. 

    It isn't normal.

    And please don't go down the road of naming even worse work cultures in other countries like Japan, Korea etc... that shit is downright abusive



    So much this, working culture in the USA is abominable. It does not represent the rest of western working society in the slightest.

    ”All hands on deck” is just a euphemism for getting abused by your boss and being conditioned into believing that is normal.

    What is being addressed here is an issue because outside of the USA these aren’t acceptable working conditions.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir



    LOL it is called a job...if you do not like it find one you do. When they say work or die...then i will care.

    I have a great job actually thank you. It includes 10 weeks off a year, which are being paid. It includes a company car which I can use privately unlimited with gas being paid for by the company, unlimited. I have a 40 hour work week which my employer guards fiercely and all my traveling time to and from work falls within those 40 hours and is being paid for. In case of an emergency I can take leave and will still get paid etc. etc. I think you get the picture.

    What you call a job is being considered rather shitty by many other civilized countries. Being used to extremely low standards doesn’t make them okay, defending them is even worse. There is no pride in overtime, there is no worth in working under extreme conditions, there is no victory in working 50 out of 52 weeks a year, its hollow nonsense.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I agree in large part with your take on the almost nationalistic pride some take on having shitty working conditions... kind of reminds of that old Dire Straits song, Money for Nothing :)

    I had similar working conditions to yours - many weeks per year of vacation, unlimited paid gas, paid OT, etc.

    But there were also deadlines that needed to be met that despite efforts to manage as well as possible ahead of time resulted in deadline crunch.

    It's impossible not to have some sort of crunch as a deadline approaches. This happens even if you work independently when you "impose" the crunch on yourself.

    But it's a totally different thing than having shit working conditions year around... and being proud of them.

    At any rate this is not exactly news. Back in February CDPR anticipated that there would be some crunch nearing release: https://www.vg247.com/2020/01/17/cyberpunk-2077-cd-projekt-admits-crunch-will-happen/


    There are always deadlines and sometimes OT is unavoidable. But. This is a problem shared by both employer and employee so there is a discussion on how to solve it, I had it happen several times that deadlines were unrealistic and simply got moved. What never ever happened was me getting an order to simply do something, that is something unfathomable to me.

    I am also fully aware that my working conditions are far above average.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...



    'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

    It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

    It is just huge resource waste....'

    Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

  • markus1902markus1902 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I was talking to somebody who works at Ubisoft and was working on Immortals: Fenyx Rising and it sounds like they were also working 7 days a week. It's hardly a shocker.

    I work 7 days a week on a frequent basis but it doesn't make the news.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 7,005
    edited September 2020






    I know the expected reaction is going to be to call the company evil and talk about their "mistreatment" of their employees, but this is quite reasonable. So they have to work an extra (paid) day a week for 6 weeks. Wow... a whopping 6 extra days...





    My company will institute mandatory OT from Nov 1 to Jan 15





    It's called running a business that has peaks and deadlines.








    I don't have a major issue with it due to the Polish law requiring them to be paid. In the U.S. if you are a salaried worker which most professional jobs are you likely wouldn't get paid.



    It's nothing unique to Poland. Lots of countries have good labour laws. Both in Nederland where I grew up and now in Norway, you get overtime paid as standard practice.
    150% pay on Saturdays and 200% pay on Sundays for regular office jobs, where normal work hours are weekdays. Some jobs like Health care and Bar/Restaurants, etc have different labour laws with exceptions.
    As IT consultant I have normal work hours between 08:00 and 16:00. I write 150% overtime between 16:00 and 20:00 and 200% after 20:00 with customers.

    This is very standard practice in many countries in Western Europe. It's called having a good work/life balance, so you have time to spend with your family and kids. Have time to help them with homework after school, bring them to sport/activities, etc.

    Time and again research has shown that people are far more productive in a 40 hour work week, with good work/life balance, then in countries like the US where its very common for people having to work 60 hours a week, 10 hours a day/6 days a week.
    [Deleted User]Asm0deusKyleran
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    But working for gaming industry is cool and a great honor, right guys?

    Guys?

    Anyone?
    ScotAsm0deus

    No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

Sign In or Register to comment.