Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

worth returning to ESO?

rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693
I mainly enjoy pvp, trading and crafting,  i am definitely not a storyline enjoyer, i bought eso in 2014 but didnt like it much

how it the game doing now?  also how action oriented is it? im seriously old and a bit slow,  not good with stuff that has 1000 hotbars buttons and heavy dodge action...

NorseGod

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Personally I don't think it has changed much at all fundamentally, there is more to do now, but combat, crafting questing is all the same from launch.  The thing I think it lacks you might like, there are a small number of skills you can slot, you can swap to another weapon but its also da limited number of available skills, 6 per weapon I think. 

Spaztic button mashing animation canceling in PVP ruins it for me, since you need to master it to be really effective, but if you just want to stand back and cast or auto-fire arrows at the zerg it can be slower paced.  
    Deddmeat
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 914
    Dont get this game for pvp !! Its a solo lore quest game with the option to craft a littel bit.
    ScorchienViper482[Deleted User]

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Dont get this game for pvp !! Its a solo lore quest game with the option to craft a littel bit.
    It depends on what you like in PvP..
    i enjoy both open world as well as their battlegrounds
    as a casuall player.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I'm fine being a ranged turret, but the moment I have to toggle weapons and manage shields, I'm like...

SovrathMsGamerladyTruvidienn
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387
    If you plan on crafting at all and don't want to jump between alts who are holding various mats .. you'll have to get the crafting bag .. which means a subscription.

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Play on XBox or PlayStation.
    Pull a comfy chair up the your big flat screen TV.
    Play the game your way -- solo, grouped, PvE, PvP, delves, dungeons, crafting, etc.

If you are good with a controller, with little stress or movement, you will be able to hold your own against younger players in PvP -- or do well in PvE overland mobs or dungeons.

Don't want to fight?  Be a healer class.  Everybody NEEDS the healer in group PvE or group PvP.

Crafting?  Become a Grandmaster Crafter.  People always want the best gear!   :D

Stop and enjoy the scenery.  Play the lute.  Relax.   <3 

~ Ancient Membership ~

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Better than no mmo.

It costs nothing to jump in and see if it clicks or not, if it clicks sub up for a month and find how that goes.

It's not a bad game just horrifyingly watered down push button i win type game now. When they introduced level scaling at first it was the shit, difficult, challenging combat, and it turned it into one gigantic world to venture and explore in, and with challenge omg!

But you know the console crowd will have a huge problem with engaging content, so the entire game was nerfed into one gigantic starter zone.

Lots of people love push button i win mechanics and if you're into that then probably worth returning.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    If you didnt like it then, you wont like it now..

• shassellshassell Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Nope. Despite their attempt to rewrite and optimize some parts of the game, it is still clunky tab targeting combat. Still no sense of progression as it is overly scaled to level... as soon as you get better kit, level, eat some buff food ect,, it is detected and the mobs adjusted so that it remains the same throughout the game. You will find it just as easy to kill the same mob at level one as level fifty.Boring. Pointless. Pretty armour and nice looking zones but the game-play is mindbogglingly bad.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    shassell said:
    ... as soon as you get better kit, level, eat some buff food ect,, it is detected and the mobs adjusted so that it remains the same throughout the game.
    Except that's not how it works. All mobs everywhere are set to level 50 / CP160. It's you who gets adjusted if you're below that.

Food buffs, gear etc. do make you stronger at any level relative to the mobs.
    YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I enjoy the endgame content, dungeons, vet dungeons etc, I'm not a story/lore kinda person myself, I hate large scale PvP aka Cyrodil however I love battlegrounds.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    I mainly enjoy pvp, trading and crafting,  i am definitely not a storyline enjoyer, i bought eso in 2014 but didnt like it much

how it the game doing now?  also how action oriented is it? im seriously old and a bit slow,  not good with stuff that has 1000 hotbars buttons and heavy dodge action...

The game is doing fine and is on the cusp of a major update.

Combat is fairly active. Blocking and dodging attacks, as well as interrupting foes is needed quite frequently. However it is not as fast paced as Tera, for example.

Once you reach level 15 you will have access to two bars that you can swap between as needed. Each bar contains five basic abilities and one ultimate that must be charged through the use of the basic ones.

PvP opens up at level 10, and so far as I know can be used as a means of character advancement in lieu of PvE questing.

Crafting will be tedious without a subscription, as having one gives you infinite storage of crafting materials aside from your normal inventory.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    edited May 2020
    I go back to this game like every year or year and a half.  Last I played, I think it was over a 3 to 5 month stretch last year.

Yet every time I go back, the quest story lines bore me to tears.  I don't know if it's poor writing, uninteresting dialogue or what but I've been encountering this in most games -- MMO or single player, but I digress).

I will try again when I feel like it but I think I have (for the most part) moved on from the current crop of MMOs and what they offer.  

I'd love to go back and love it, but I am playing other games at the moment.
    Viper482YashaX
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    From the op I think you would like something like albion online more
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited May 2020

The PvP is bad imo, and if you don't PvE to get the best gear setup you will be lacking. Dodging and blocking is key too. Not 1000 hotbars but still action-oriented combat. 

The game is better on the crafting/trading than PvP. But being a good crafting in order to trade you have to research, which you are severely behind on not playing. For example...the final trait on one piece of gear takes almost a month to research, that is just the final one of like 9 traits. Really long time-gate. You can't make the best gear sets until you research a lot of traits for each piece of gear you want. Each piece of gear, meaning three types of armor for each piece, jewelry, then all weapons. 

If you did not like it in 2014 I see no reason why you would like it today. But it is sub-free so why not just reinstall and see for yourself?
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    DMKano said:
    Tried returning to ESO ablout half dozen times over the past year and s half  - I just cant - the combat is awkward and I find myself bored to tears fast.

I simply came to the conclusion that I will never like ESO again and am done with the game forever 

I did that about 6 months ago....playing again lol. Will see for how long this time. I have found that I enjoy the combat as long as it is magicka/caster based. Melee is too awkward.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • BahutBahut Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Research pvp builds build a character around that.   It seems the meta right now is tanky dps.  Twink out a lower level it can be fun in the battlegrounds & cyrodiil. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
                                                       NO
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I've recently returned after being away for ~ 18 months and I'm just trying to get a handle on all the changes lol.

There has been A LOT of rebalancing to abilities, gear sets and even some mobs.

One thing I've noticed that was long overdue is that some mobs have been tweaked to hit you harder. It's most noticeable in the newer areas and in public dungeons. Overland mobs are still mostly a joke but the difficulty in some of the zone PQ- like events are definitely much tougher than the Dark Anchors in the vanilla zones.

The ones in the newest zone, Western Skyrim, called harrowstorms are no joke - they're pretty well on par with world bosses for difficulty and last quite a bit longer. I'm having a blast doing those. 
    YashaXskeaser
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED