Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Celebrates 23rd Anniversary By Announcing Ultima Online New Legacy

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2020 in Videos Discussion

imageUltima Celebrates 23rd Anniversary By Announcing Ultima Online New Legacy

Ultima Online's 23rd Anniversary celebration is off with a bang, with Broadsword announcing Ultima Online: New Legacy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Yup, retro games are dead. /sarcasmoff
    xpsyncTokkenkitaradCatibrie
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    23 years is impressive.
    SovrathfoppoteeMargraveScotkitarad

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    I'm pretty sure this won't be what some of us were hoping it was, but still a great move for them imo.

I would love to see a pre-trammel classic style server with all of the same rulesets and features. I doubt it will happen, but one can hope!
    bobbymcswanson
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Ill be there, at least for a bit.
    [Deleted User]

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Been playing UO all these 23 years and pretty excited to try out the Legacy server .. Cyas there ..

[Deleted User]itchmonScot
  • lddiamondlddiamond Member UncommonPosts: 11
    WOuld this be worth getting into if I never played UO?
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    edited September 2020
    lddiamond said:
    Hard to say. No matter what, UO graphics will always look dated. If you can get past that and emerge yourself into the gameplay, you will probably find it was one of the best games ever made. If you're going to try it for the first time, I'd probably wait for Legacy to launch.
    Scorchien
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited September 2020
    But Legacy is just a short term shard, right?  I would be more invested in it if it was a long term shard.  Maybe Atlantic will open up more now to new people placing houses.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    edited September 2020
    Memories indeed!

Dread Lady Taki
    Grand Master Fencer
    Fires of Heaven

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• DEXA88DEXA88 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Ultima online killed itself by remooving the 3d client and that drove people away either they never realised it or just are too stuborn to admit it. The game simply became too ugly. They are trying to milk a dead cow!
  • EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200
    edited September 2020

DEXA88 said:

Ultima online killed itself by remooving the 3d client and that drove people away either they never realised it or just are too stuborn to admit it. The game simply became too ugly. They are trying to milk a dead cow!

Was never really 3D.. Was like 2.5D, which the current enhanced client is.. They have a enhanced client that looks far better than the old 3D client ever did, it came out of the ashes of the "Kingdom Reborn" client, while it looked good.. It was badly unoptimized and lagged like hell, it was crashing people's desktops and eating up their memory, it was made with the Gamebryo engine as well.. UO has loads of coding problems as well due to it's age, only 1 dev is able to read the code, everything else has been lost when it comes to the current code which is why they can't do anything too massive for the game.. The current enhanced client isn't bad though, it just need more resolution for larger monitors.. I recommend a smaller monitor to play UO with.. I am surprised they didn't do the video with the enhanced client cause it's what they're trying to push everyone to play so they can retire the 2D client.. I think when Kingdom Reborn came out had they retired the 2D client, it wouldn't have had the issues that it did.. They could do so much more with the enhanced client and put their focus on it if the 2D client was retired and UO might gain more attention..
  • marremurtmarremurt Member UncommonPosts: 45
    23 years and the combat look same clunky?, i mean in my opinion it shoulda turned to better combating, i really doesnt see any actually diff
  • SarlaSarla Member UncommonPosts: 316
    I think this is great and can't wait to get started. As far as grafix, I love the classic 2d client and use that one. I have been playing this game on and off since it started.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited September 2020
    lddiamond said:
    Good to see you are still with us, if you post more and turn green I won't think you are a new guy. :)

Oh and after 23 years you get a game with a lot of content, but that's great. However it also means the graphics leave something to be desired.