Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horizon Zero Dawn

cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
I have been meaning to get this on the PC and I wanted to know whether I can manage to play this. I may have asked this before sorry if I have but I'm getting a bit addled these days.

I managed to play a bit of Monster Hunter World although I didn't get very far, 5 targets cleared at most. How much harder is this game and is it very action oriented. Do you think I can manage it if I can play MHW? I also played Witcher 3 mostly on normal but I didn't finish the game. Witcher 1 on normal was very easy in comparison. Is there any play style that I can try that might augment my weaknesses to action combat. I am quite bad at face to face combat as I often panic and run the opposite direction and lose hp and then it is game over.

I could not manage a single class on Phantasy Star Online 2 (PSO2) except the summoner so if it is anything that requires precision action fighting I won't be able to do it.

How much of the game can I complete with ranged combat? I don't have to finish the game I will happy with just playing the game and even if I never take down all the big bosses if I can have some fun I will be happy.
Chamber of Chains

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    You're all meanies who didn't read my post.

Sad Emojis GIFs  Tenor
    Chamber of Chains
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I honestly think it would prove a challenge for you knowing your history with action games. This game is action and move heavy. I think it worth giving a go once the price point drops really low just to experience the world but the action parts are dominate.
    =/  
    Thank you I will wait and get it then. I would love to experience the world too.
    Chamber of Chains
    I watched a youtube playthrough not much and I skipped the conversations and cut scenes as I didn't want to spoil the fun of watching that when I do play and I wanted to gauge the combat only. There was a part where the machines broke through and I think I can handle that bow combat.

The playthrough in the video on youtube was story mode. So what I wanted to ask was the bit on climbing the tallneck those giraffe looking things. How hard is it to miss and fall is it very skill based?

Can I gain levels to make the combat and fighting easier by basically overlevelling? Of course jumping on stuff is one of my other weaknesses, my god I sound like a fake mourner. I am just trying to see how much ground I can actually cover and do.

It is around 40 euros on GMG. Or I might wait for it to drop more on a sale as I am slightly worried it might be like Recore which I had to sadly set aside as I could not even get up the very first part of the cliffs.
    Chamber of Chains
  • MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143
    The combat is very ranged focused and if it is giving you trouble you can do things like set up very powerful traps or hack certain enemies to help you. I'd recommend looking for the vaults (i think that's what they were called) around the map which are essentially dungeons that unlock more robots for you to hack.
    Climbing sections are much easier to do then they may look and you will rarely fall even if you are trying to.
    The real draw for the game though is some of the mysteries surrounding the protagonist and the world at large most of which I think were very satisfyingly answered.
    I played this on PS4 however and I've heard the pc version has some problems.
    cheyane
  • GrymmoireGrymmoire Member UncommonPosts: 181
    edited September 2020
    I am 71 and finished the game in hard mode (which I would not recommend for you since it only allows face tattoos and achievements). I played mostly at range and used the terrain to my advantage wherein, many beasties cannot get to you but some do have ranged attacks that you need to move or dodge.

There are some situations that do require ground combat that cannot be avoided; however, do the weapons training to learn how to "ropecaster" the big ones down to give you room to dodge and fire. You also have health potions and instant heals from the plants you harvest.

Climbing is almost automatic in most cases if you see the highlighted climbing spots; the "giraffe" looking critters are not even necessary to do they give you an overview of an area they walk in but with some practice they are easy and the spots are also highlighted where to jump although some body parts move so timing is needed. I only climbed one for fun!

You can stay in a lower level and gain experience to overlevel but getting to areas where better weapons (bows and traps) are rarer or dropped help a lot. Also I played half the game at range before I learned that you have a skill that can act as a timer-based "scope" that zeros in on mobs' heads which makes 1 shot head kills easy-peasy (bandits and Striders).

Do remap the keys to accommodate you best play-style since you will need to hold down the right mouse button and fire with left one while watching for other keys to do the zooming scope and your stealth and dodge if on the ground. Remember, high ground is your friend! And use your Focus skill a lot to find weak spots on mobs and mark them and also to find the data items scattered through out the world which reveal it's history.

I could elaborate on more but ample hints are all on the net if needed.

Most of my friends became a tad frustrated with Aloy's first real fight after the her proving race; the key is to take out the bandit with the "machinegun-like" weapon and his henchman next, then use the rock and dart back out-in and take head-shots and the rest of the bandits above.

I highly recommend playing this game; it will make you anticipate Aloy's being; her reason for existence; make you laugh in places; provide social intrigue; and has pathos which will bring a tear to your eye, especially the ending and if you get that far, do watch the credits roll. What a cast was involved in the making of this masterpiece. 
    cheyane
    Okay fantastic thank you both for the replies.
    Chamber of Chains
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    cheyane said:
    I honestly think it would prove a challenge for you knowing your history with action games. This game is action and move heavy. I think it worth giving a go once the price point drops really low just to experience the world but the action parts are dominate.
    =/  
    Thank you I will wait and get it then. I would love to experience the world too.

Even though this game is worth every penny, considering it's already old you can just wait for a big sale on Steam. If you have trouble with action games, i recommend playing Horizon on easy. The story is really good. I beat it on easy on PS4 so i can focus on the story and loved it. I have to play it again on normal and then on the hardest difficulty to get the platinum trophy but since i don't chase achievements i'm in no rush.
    cheyane

I definitely don't have much impulse control. I got the game from 2game site for around 37 euros figured even at 35% off which would be what it is at a sale since it came out on steam in August I can pay the few euros more and get it now.

Am at the proving ground. So far am really liking the game. I remapped everything to suit my 17 button red dragon mouse. So in a click of a button on the mouse I am in focus mode or dodge or whatever I need. I love games that let one customize every button including heavy attacks.

I am hoping I can continue and play this to the end.
    Chamber of Chains
  • GrymmoireGrymmoire Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Not wanting to give too much away, but after the proving area, you will be inside the Temple. That "friendly mother-figure" will tell you to follow her out. But before you do, look to your right (I think) and you should see a small opening; use focus and crouch to get through to get the first power cell.

If you do not find this one first, it becomes a backtracking session and you may find your way blocked till near the end game. The cells are needed for a very nice item you will learn!

I envy you staring anew and wish you lots of fun!
    cheyane
    I am really enjoying myself and even though I am making mistakes in combat the fact that my difficulty is so low I am able to recover and hit back and it makes the game more enjoyable.

I don't know how I'll fare against the harder targets but this type of choice that is given to players to allow them the luxury of choosing their own difficulty to story mode which is easier than easy (yes folks I'm that pathetic) is marvelous. I am thoroughly enjoying the story so far. 

I may have been able to handle easy but I decided I would not take the chance. I wish more games gave us this opportunity to play for the story rather than to struggle with the combat and action aspect of it.

For instance I have always wanted to play Tomb Raider but I am sure I would have fallen over and over trying to make it across certain areas. Nothing frustrates me more than my inability to time jumps and ending up dying or falling. 

I came across a lady living in Australia who like me loves Atelier games and she had a respectable following on Youtube and I noticed from her collection of games that she was able to play some action oriented combat. She did a video showing her game room and I was sincerely gobsmacked. They were all on a host of consoles. She bought almost all the consoles so I asked her how she used the controller so well.

She explained that she cannot play some and had given up others because she was unable to make it through the content but she still managed way more than me and was older than I am (67 or 68 years old). She would spend hours sometimes trying to clear some areas and sometimes she failed. I felt so envious of her tenacity but she has never played on the PC so all her experience were with consoles and controllers. I wonder if my problem with controllers stem from the fact that I am so used to the way the mouse and kb works that my controller inaptness comes from that. Odd thing is I started on consoles before I ever played any game on a PC.
    YashaX
    Chamber of Chains
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    What is the name of the channel?

Chamber of Chains
    I just finished this amazing game. I absofuckinglutely loved it !!!!!
    YashaXAsheram
    Chamber of Chains
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    cheyane said:
    I just finished this amazing game. I absofuckinglutely loved it !!!!!

Yeah its a great game, I thought it was a really nice mix of story telling and open world exploration.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• hoenens1hoenens1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    The game is amazing! Go and get it!
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    One of my favorite games ever.   I played on hardest level and used a lot of stealth and traps.  My stepson played on regular level and used a lot of hack n slash.  You have a lot of options as to how to play.