Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Final Fantasy XVI Reveal Blew My Mind, But Also Left Me A Bit Concerned

2»

Comments

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    FFXV is now my favorite. Haven't been able to play FF7R yet though.

I buy my FF titles now on Steam, and will continue to do so.

Having said that I will have FFXVI in my collection once it's available on PC.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    "At a certain point, FF no longer even has an identity. I'm pretty sure we've already passed that point."

It's hard to have an identity when you're on your 16th game....It just becomes a money making venture after awhile trying to reap the benefits from the name of the franchise.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    FF ALWAYS has huge fantastic looking trailers. This in comparison to other FF trailers was very bland, i was surprised by the fact the graphics promoting the ps5 looked like this. I think itll be fine in the end, ff graphically usually doesn't disappoints graphically at least. Im curious to see more.
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Not sure why, but the combat sequences really gave me FFXV vibes which is very concerning -- I found FFXV's combat to be very, very lacking and the character/party development even more so.

The trailer as a whole gave me XV vibes but it seemed interested enough. Kind of excited to see a return to a more simple setting.

They hit the nail on the head with combat in FVII:R but they didn't have to spend much time on story development (since that was already done). Interested to see how they do with an entirely new setting/story as it has been a long, long time since I found FF's story to be interesting (aside from Shadowbringers, but I don't truly count that).
    [Deleted User]
  • Lecram6468Lecram6468 Member UncommonPosts: 1

remsleep said:

Never liked FF, still don't, most likely never will.

Then why are you posting on an article about FF?
  • LytecLytec Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Game looks good hopefully there's a PC port
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    That picture so reminds me of Dragon's Dogma anime.
    alkarionlog

imageimage

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited September 2020
    This looks already 1000x better than FFXV.

The story itself already blows the bore fest that was FFXV out of the water.

I like Action combat a lot better than the old outdated turn based system, as long as it's done properly like someone above already said, by not making it too spammy.
    You can have excellent action combat that requires thought and strategy, if they put the right effort in it.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    I don't like action combat but if they have like an easy mode it would be okay for an old fart like me to enjoy the story without worrying about every encounter. I don't see how action combat can have any strategy from what I have seen on videos on youtube. Everyone seems to be spamming buttons and as long as you can time your dodges it seems to be the only nuance to the combat. There cannot be any real strategy when you're concentrating on avoiding and hitting the buttons. So that seems to be the only concern that you spam the right button on time. Strategy requires time and how can there be any when you're too busy spamming buttons.

What do I know though since I cannot even dodge to save my life. So I'm just jealous others can and my perception is screwed by my own limitations.
    [Deleted User]alkarionlog

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited September 2020

OG_Zorvan said:

Final Fantasy singleplayer games seem to have forgotten the "fantasy" part after Fran in FFXII. Every single playable character is human. No Fran's or Vivi's or Red XIII's or Kumari's.

to please a big part of the murican crowd that always complain about something. Cute characters? pedo!, small creatures? for kids!, sexy characters? horny high school boys!, etc etc
    Doesn't Final Fantasy always still have that last one? (sexy horny high school boys)   That's like, been the main character of most of them, I thought.  Well, age-wise some of them were older than high school but they still at the very least still have that boy-band bishonen look.

I think they stopped having child playable characters after VI, with the exception of IX which was a throw-back game.  I don't think that was due to American complaints though.  FF wasn't really on America's radar until after VII where they had already switched to using 16 year olds in that "young girl slot".
    alkarionlog
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited September 2020
    Turn-based combat is literally not outdated because it's still being improved and innovated on.

There's a place for action games and there's a place for turn-based games. Both are absolutely valid for the JRPG genre, and both have some truly stellar franchises under their belt.

Personally, I don't think Final Fantasy has ever been the best of either world. Its only attempt at a straight up action game, XV, straight up blows. You can literally just win encounters by holding the attack button and auto-teleporting to foes when you finish one off. It's boring. As a turn-based game, it lacks the elegance of Persona or the sheer mechanical depth of Trails. To me, the hybrid approach of FF7R lets it stand out in a good way. The core of its gameplay is in the turn-based spells and actions, but the time between said actions has a satisfying block, dodge, cover, and attack flow to it.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    kitaradScotalkarionlog
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

lddiamond said:

Single player action combat will never be final fantasy to me.

At least Dragon Quest stayed true to its roots.

no dharma temple, no all chars can learn all skills and classes,, only thing is the same as they "roots" is Akira Toriyama is still drawing it
    Aeander
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited September 2020

lddiamond said:

no dharma temple, no all chars can learn all skills and classes,, only thing is the same as they "roots" is Akira Toriyama is still drawing it
    I don't know or care about what a dharma temple is and why it's allegedly important.

But all characters learning all skills and classes is shit game design and I'm glad they moved away from that. Let characters be unique.
    alkarionlog
    Aeander said:

lddiamond said:

I don't know or care about what a dharma temple is and why it's allegedly important.

But all characters learning all skills and classes is shit game design and I'm glad they moved away from that. Let characters be unique.

then dragon quest did not stay true to his roots, by your very definition, the closest to the root was the hard boss fights.

just to explain to anyone curious or anyone who never did play a dragon quest(dragon warrior) before the seven.

dharma temple was a place with your chars could learn new classes and then over time learn skills of said classes with in turn, after a class was mastered it would could to a possible new class unlock so for you to change, since the class learning was based on number of battles you did (with enemys on your lvl and higher) you could learn all skills possible, or the very least have some nice combos, and also would mean you could put any char you liked not use one you hated, but it was the only healer in the damn game, since 7 they removed it
    [Deleted User]Aeander
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I'm INCREDIBLY excited about this! I didn't know the combat designer worked on DMC. As you said, it definitely shows. I've waited YEARS for the Final Fantasy series to enter the 21st century with action combat, and it looks like it finally happened. The combat looks better than any FF game thus far.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited September 2020
    Just finished FFXV...what a horrid game, it started off decent but turned to crap real quick...I sure hope as hell it not more of this ilk.

I would like to see them go back to their roots, more "fantasy" in the Final "Fantasy", more magic, better story and please stay away from the bromance crap we got in XV along with a half arsed story that felt half hearted, half done etc.

Dunno, can't say I am a fan of the mmo either as the combat is kind of meh.

Think I am going to do a play through of Lufia or Trails or something to rinse FFXV out oy my mind....
    Like the OP says the very "devil may cry esque" combat has me wincing as it kind of looks like more of what crap we got in XV.....

I mean I like a good devil may cry type thing now and then, just like I enjoy a good fps now and then HOWEVER I do not want this in my single player FF games.....

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• NanbinoNanbino Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I recently replayed all over last few years. You can see clearly where they've tried new forms of game play. One thing has never changed: the elements of ff. The mana/crystal/life force a'd "beings of worlds coming together to do the thing".
    That needs love, then decide your game play features based around all this creative bundle and you'd have a decent franchise...

Turn based works amazing and better than action based, and vice versa, depending on implementation/content. There's certain ways of "telling the story" which works better with certain puzzles a'd feel of progress that works when turn based done right.
    Idem for action that doesn't demand to solve deep puzzles, or take ones time to breathe it all in, and when grind kicks in, action is way more e'gaging than constant fade to battle screen of turn based.
    I'm currently playing ff10 and wow. It's on ez mode. Most people know you don't even need to grind unless you want Easter egg items. So the turn based In this game feels interuptive. Had it been smooth open action, itwwould flow so much better.
    Had ff9 had open combat it would feel too childish. There was something about the surprise of baking randomly attacked as you run arou d lost in a swamp and have to focus on battle rotation to prepare for the next big boss battle. Taking in the environment lushly painted in the turn scene, using full inventory to your advantage during turns instead "only equipped items" that action has to take.
    And don't tell me "it's more real" as you ride around on overside chickens. XD
    FF has been plagued not by certain features but lack of creativity and laziness knowing a name sells more than actual quantity. That a'd Sony is dying.
    Microsoft just baught up bathseda. And ps exclusive titles are getting dropped by publishers left a'd right.
    This game would need to be a huge game changer to stand out and bring Sony back. Bit many doubts.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I changed my mind about this after starting Horizon Zero Dawn on story mode difficulty a few days ago.

Firstly the story must be very good not like the lack luster one in FFXV that I have read about. Then they must offer a story mode or easy difficulty for clowns like me that cannot handle action combat then you have my vote. I will buy it. Oh it must also be on the PC.
    Chamber of Chains
    ...snip...

The trailer as a whole gave me XV vibes but it seemed interested enough. Kind of excited to see a return to a more simple setting.

...snip...
    It's the warp jump attack spam that's making you think FFXV.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited September 2020
    Aeander said:
    ....snip...

...snip..
    Yes, and I think the reason for that is that they already have the turn based market cornered with Dragon Quest. If they tried making that action combat, heads would roll.

See the thing is IMO is the staple of both FF and the DQ franchise is the turn based combat, and once upon a time we would have said FF would never have action RPG as the game combat is about turn based combat and controlling a WHOLE party and not just one character. You would have thought heads would role for what they are doing the FF but sqeenix doesn't care methinks.

For action game peeps would have said if you want action rpg go play a zelda game or crystalis etc etc

I am fairly certain if they made DQ action combat heads would not roll for the same reason they are not right now with FF series even though this change in combat type from controlling a party to action spam type game controlling one character is pretty much a betrayal of what FF games are about.

FF was always about long involved stores, controlling a party, overworld exploration, secrets, grinding levels among other things... but I can't help feel in their want to change things up and reinvent the game they are losing what made FF so good and such a popular franchise in the first place.

edited September 2020
    Take FFXV the story was pretty sucky...instead of a world spanning epic adventure..think epic novel for the peeps that like to read out there...we got a bro quest coming of age type adventure mostly centered around a smaller group of people.

FFXV feels like a young adult coming of age novel instead of some grander epic story line....even the ending goes this way with no shits given beyond a couple characters.

Asm0deus said:
    Take FFXV the story was pretty sucky...instead of a world spanning epic adventure..think epic novel for the peeps that like to read out there...we got a bro quest coming of age type adventure mostly centered around a smaller group of people.

FFXV feels like a young adult coming of age novel instead of some grander epic story line....even the ending goes this way with no shits given beyond a couple characters.

feh IF it had anything to read, but I give, it was better then the ff13 story, but that is not much hard to do.

thing is I guess we can drop all story we read and played in the old time, they will never do better then that time around 95 to 2000 was the top square could be.

I mean when gamming today you get a better game when they just remaster a old game you know there is something wrong going on.
    [Deleted User]