Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decided to Cancel

ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

It's got nothing to do with whether I like DAOC or not.  I do....
It's got nothing to do with whether tha game is fun or not.  It is...

It was purely a financial decision.  Recently I started playing Guild Wars for the first time (a friend gave me a copy, what can I say) and found that I enjoy it almost as much as any of the other "modern" MMORPG's on the market and only a little less than DAoC for that matter because it gives me PvP and GvG (Guild vs Guild) combat as well as a nice storyline, interesting quests and beautiful graphics.

It doesn't give me the depth and variety of DAoC but when I stack it up against the more modern and more "traditional" MMORPG's available today the price point just wins hands down.

It's nothing against DAoC (or any other fee based MMO for that matter) it's just that my lifestyle as a father of 3 kids and husband to a wonderful wife as well as being on call for work 24/7 as a Technical  Lead  for the Network just doesn't allow me the kind of time to dedicate to an MMORPG anymore to justify paying almost 200 a year for a game that I can't play for long stretches any longer.   So until something comes out that really knocks my socks off I'm "retiring" from fee based MMORPG's.

Take care all and keep up the fight.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
Sig image Pending
Still in: A couple Betas

Comments

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796

Best of luck to you!

Thank you for all your informative posts and help with newbie questions.  They will be sorely missed!

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

• porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516
    I have a similar problem.  I love MMO's.  The questing, adventuring, and socializing.
    But they are just too danged slow and take so long to do anything that I can't ever find the amount of time you need to play the things.  Who are these people who have all this time to play them?  And where do they get that time from?

I wish there were an answer and a fun game to go along with it.
    The closest I've found so far is Dungeons and Dragons Online.  My roommate and I play it.  It's cool for us because we both have tight schedules.  We can hop online and do a quest here a dungeon there and get right into the action.  Guild Wars is the same way.

I just wish that some of the traditional MMO's had that quickness to them.  I know it's a different gaming style, but life is short.  I want to get in and get down to action.  I love DAoC.  The classes, the RvR, everything.  But the time it takes to do anything is what's killing me.  I'm probably gonna quit too.  Might as well jump overboard with ya. 

I'll miss you too Elnator.  I hope you come back sometime. 

-----------------------
    </OBAMA>

To me, DAoC is the *perfect* MMORPG. 

I am by no means a hardcore player, but there are times when I have at least a few hours to play.  There are also times when I have a half hour to play.. and there's always something I can do in game. 

If I have lots of time, I can go on outings with my guild and do some pretty intense instances or areas.  If I don't have a lot of time, I can always do a dungeon or park my toon in an area where I can log on for a bit and log back off and still have meaningful and fun play time.

So many of the other MMORPG's out there (namely the EQ's), require you to be online for long, long sessions in order for you to do anything that's worthwhile.  I find DAoC to be the exact opposite!

Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    I don't know about calling it the perfect MMO.  DAoC is a really good game for veterans, but it becomes repetitive and boring for new players, at least for me.  I bought the game and played it for a couple months.  After giving it a good try with a few different characters into their 20s I didn't find any reason to stay.  The game seems to do well, and the community overall is a very good one from what I saw.  But on the gameplay end, there seem to be many more games, both present and future that offer more features and better gameplay.  I am impatiently awaiting Warhammer Online.  And as for Elnator, he was a big help to me when I started off in DAoC on these forums.  But I look forward to seeing him branch out into different parts of the forums here...
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by brihtwulf
    I don't know about calling it the perfect MMO.  DAoC is a really good game for veterans, but it becomes repetitive and boring for new players, at least for me.  I bought the game and played it for a couple months.  After giving it a good try with a few different characters into their 20s I didn't find any reason to stay.  The game seems to do well, and the community overall is a very good one from what I saw.  But on the gameplay end, there seem to be many more games, both present and future that offer more features and better gameplay.  I am impatiently awaiting Warhammer Online.  And as for Elnator, he was a big help to me when I started off in DAoC on these forums.  But I look forward to seeing him branch out into different parts of the forums here...

Thanks Brihtwulf :)  It's nice to have such kind words stated about you.

To the others:
    As I said, my leaving is not a comment on the quality of DAOC.  My schedule is just very tight and I RARELY have time to be at the keyboard for very long periods of time so I just can't justify a monthly fee for any MMORPG right now.  On my xfire right now the only games you'll see are pinball (*chuckles*), Planetside and Guild Wars (AO will show up before the end of the week but right now I'm having a blast playing my fodderside toon   LOL)

For me it's all about:
    If I can only play for 15 to 20 minutes a stretch before going on extended AFK 99% of the time can I justify a monthly fee for *any* MMORPG?  It's not that DAOC isn't a good MMORPG... I still say it's the best fee based MMORPG currently on the market... it's whether I play it enough to justify a monthly fee.  And, for the way I play it, I don't.   So I'm playing the very best FREE MMO's I can find...

I'll still be around the forums here to answer questions when I can or help new players.  Because unless something fundamental changes in DAOC (God I hope not!!!) the game is still the same as when I played it :)  For a while anyway.

As for the guy playing DDO:
    I'm glad you are enjoying it... but for me DDO wouldn't even be worth a monthly fee if I had all the time in the world to play it :)  It just doesn't offer enough to justify a fee, imo.  You get more of a game out of Guild Wars, for free, or even from some of the browser based MMORPG's out there :)

Sig image Pending

No.. not the perfect MMO (I don't believe there is one MMO that's perfect for everyone).. but as I started.. it's perfect for *me*. :)  DAoC has an excellent community and I'm finding Mythic to be quite a few steps above many other companies running some of the games out there these days.

Actually.. one of my favorite things about DAoC is the end game.  Once you hit 50 or near 50, many parts of the game open up to you, like the Champion Levels, Master Levels and some pretty intense epic fights.  Once the CL and ML paths are taken, it makes your character much more unique, so that all classes do not typically have the same qualities.  Other games such as EQ2 are quite linear... you just fight tougher mobs as you get to the end game... and I find that quite boring.

Originally posted by JonMichael

No.. not the perfect MMO (I don't believe there is one MMO that's perfect for everyone).. but as I started.. it's perfect for *me*. :)  DAoC has an excellent community and I'm finding Mythic to be quite a few steps above many other companies running some of the games out there these days.

Actually.. one of my favorite things about DAoC is the end game.  Once you hit 50 or near 50, many parts of the game open up to you, like the Champion Levels, Master Levels and some pretty intense epic fights.  Once the CL and ML paths are taken, it makes your character much more unique, so that all classes do not typically have the same qualities.  Other games such as EQ2 are quite linear... you just fight tougher mobs as you get to the end game... and I find that quite boring.

HEHE in DAOC "Level 50" is just the beginning of the game imo :)  A level 50 is still very much a "noob" if they haven't played before :)  There is still so much to learn, do and see it's not even funny.

Sig image Pending

• bedolla3401bedolla3401 Member Posts: 293

Originally posted by Elnator
    It's got nothing to do with whether I like DAOC or not.  I do....
    It's got nothing to do with whether tha game is fun or not.  It is...

It was purely a financial decision.  Recently I started playing Guild Wars for the first time (a friend gave me a copy, what can I say) and found that I enjoy it almost as much as any of the other "modern" MMORPG's on the market and only a little less than DAoC for that matter because it gives me PvP and GvG (Guild vs Guild) combat as well as a nice storyline, interesting quests and beautiful graphics.

It doesn't give me the depth and variety of DAoC but when I stack it up against the more modern and more "traditional" MMORPG's available today the price point just wins hands down.

It's nothing against DAoC (or any other fee based MMO for that matter) it's just that my lifestyle as a father of 3 kids and husband to a wonderful wife as well as being on call for work 24/7 as a Technical  Lead  for the Network just doesn't allow me the kind of time to dedicate to an MMORPG anymore to justify paying almost 200 a year for a game that I can't play for long stretches any longer.   So until something comes out that really knocks my socks off I'm "retiring" from fee based MMORPG's.

Take care all and keep up the fight.

best of luck to you.

i can totally understand with what your saying

• DrAtomicDrAtomic Member Posts: 281

El you slacker!!! :D j/k

All the best man, and here's praying that the next expansion will draw you back... :D

:)
    Who knows... I'll probably re-sub eventually.   DAOC is one of those games I keep coming back to eventually :)

Sig image Pending

• EchaniEchani Member Posts: 72
    I know exactly what you mean about DAoC sucking you back in. This is my fourth time back, and while I'll probably have to put down the keyboard at least one more time in my life I fear that DAoC will forever be a game that will entice me back.

Does your guild have a website yet? Find out how easy it is to get one.

• FumarmataFumarmata Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by JonMichael
    To me, DAoC is the *perfect* MMORPG.
    I am by no means a hardcore player, but there are times when I have at least a few hours to play. There are also times when I have a half hour to play.. and there's always something I can do in game.
    If I have lots of time, I can go on outings with my guild and do some pretty intense instances or areas. If I don't have a lot of time, I can always do a dungeon or park my toon in an area where I can log on for a bit and log back off and still have meaningful and fun play time.
    So many of the other MMORPG's out there (namely the EQ's), require you to be online for long, long sessions in order for you to do anything that's worthwhile. I find DAoC to be the exact opposite!

I agree totally with this post, well written. You can just jump in and play without LFG for hours.

• Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910
    Divorce your wife and quit your job!    j/k Nothing is more important than kids/family/work. It's a decision like this that seperates the men form the fanboys, heh. Good for you. Priorities are something too many MMORPG gamers loose sight of. /salutes

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.