Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did Mark Jacobs get banned from Reddit?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Possibly.  Draw your own conclusions, if you care to, after reading through the comments of this Reddit post.  Apparently, Jacobs may have encouraged a poster to doxx himself and also appears to have searched through Reddit posts for personal information on the poster.  

https://imgur.com/orzlYGo

https://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchained/comments/iuq26k/mark_got_banned/

[Deleted User]KumaponGdemami

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If true, that's epic bad.
    bcbullyGdemami

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    He really needs to focus on his game he is developing and leave internet trolls alone. 
    [Deleted User]AmatheAsheramKylerandragonlee66Ungood
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    He should have been banned a long time ago for going against the Reddit Content Policy section 4 stipulation B: No whining like a little baby about random internet people.
    [Deleted User]
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Honestly WTF is he even doing? Instead of articles with some concept art 8 years in and him having a spat on Massively OP with some forum users and news about him being banned from reddit here's a crazy idea...

How about some GAME PLAY from the game he is working on???
    AsheramGdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I don't see where he's been banned, several of his posts and account are still visible to me if I read the leaving MOP thread.

Looks more like some posts might have been removed.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

He should have been banned a long time ago for going against the Reddit Content Policy section 4 stipulation B: No whining like a little baby about random internet people.
    Well then they'd have to delete about 3/4 of all posts in reddit I'm thinking.

:D 
    achesomaUngood

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Possibly.  Draw your own conclusions, if you care to, after reading through the comments of this Reddit post.  Apparently, Jacobs may have encouraged a poster to doxx himself and also appears to have searched through Reddit posts for personal information on the poster.  

Point of order, it isn't doxing to provide information freely shared by someone on the internet, no matter what Wikipedia tries to claim.

I've often mentioned here having a wife and children, if someone dredges that up in a future conversation no harm, no foul unless of course it's done to threaten us or specifically identifies them then that's clearly crossing the line and there will be consequences.

bcbullyIselin[Deleted User]ScotYashaX

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Seriously think he's trying to push someone over the edge to threaten him somehow so he can pull the "too dangerous to continue on the project for fear of harm coming to my family" card. It's an easy out so I don't think anyone should take the bait.

Most of the people he accuses of being trolls are actually backers of his game and ask legitimate questions like "when is the beta". Those classic trolls circa 2000-2005 don't really exist anymore but somehow for MJ and only MJ they magically appear just to criticize his game.
    Gdemami
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    What is this Reddit thing you speak of?

Who is this Mark Jacobs dude,does he play for the Blue Jays?

I still remember an article about oh 4/5 years ago on Kotaku that was about a group of developers that  were angry and blaming we the gamer's for complaining about everything.

I have heard this kind of talk for a VERY long time and it took me a long time to figure out how to respond to the simpleton stuff like your just a hater or a complainer or a whiner.

So my response was this.....You know I could simply INSULT your work,so you can take complaining as a NICE subtle way of saying your work SUCKS.

You know  who really sucks at game design>>>Chris Robert's and you can tell him I said so.
    Here is something funny>>>Atlas is a low budget ARK mod run by a bunch of dysfunctional devs and is still more fun and offers me more than Chris Robert's will EVER deliver.That is the sad sack state of the industry right now.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    I said before, step away from the PR role, don't be the frontman if you can't handle the war in the trenches of social media. I think for some people this is not good for their well being, and yes he needs to concentrate on the game, not Reddit posters.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited September 2020

That's a deucy.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I really wish he would not behave like this.
    kitaradAmatheUngood
    Chamber of Chains
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Kyleran said:

Point of order, it isn't doxing to provide information freely shared by someone on the internet, no matter what Wikipedia tries to claim.

I've often mentioned here having a wife and children, if someone dredges that up in a future conversation no harm, no foul unless of course it's done to threaten us or specifically identifies them then that's clearly crossing the line and there will be consequences.

Jacobs didn't try to doxx the guy, he called the poster a "tough guy" and asked him to doxx himself.  And then he read through the post history of the poster, looking for private information.  I maintain that this is unprofessional, unacceptable and, possibly, unstable behavior for the CEO of a company towards one of his critics.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
    Kyleran said:

Jacobs didn't try to doxx the guy, he called the poster a "tough guy" and asked him to doxx himself.  And then he read through the post history of the poster, looking for private information.  I maintain that this is unprofessional, unacceptable and, possibly, unstable behavior for the CEO of a company towards one of his critics.
    As I recall the poster in question declined to provide their name saying they typically didn't share information about their private life on reddit and Mark's search showed they actually did, proving the poster to be a liar.

Said poster had been calling Mark a liar and scammer, fair is fair in my book.

Sure, he should avoid such pissing contests but I understand his motivations to prove others are wrong on the internet, do it all the time myself.

YashaXUngood

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

As I recall the poster in question declined to provide their name saying they typically didn't share information about their private life on reddit and Mark's search showed they actually did, proving the poster to be a liar.

Said poster had been calling Mark a liar and scammer, fair is fair in my book.

Sure, he should avoid such pissing contests but I understand his motivations to prove others are wrong on the internet, do it all the time myself.

I believe that a public figure like a corporate CEO should be held to a higher standard than a random internet troll.  But if you sympathize with Jacobs, I understand.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Kyleran said:
    Well then they'd have to delete about 3/4 of all posts in reddit I'm thinking.

:D 
    Yes. He would be part of that group of people.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    edited September 2020
    This shit... is exactly why I would NEVER talk with the general population if I was Dev, and hire a PR person to do that.. I know I am way too much an asshole to take people talking shit about my labor of love, and it would end poorly.

But.. I at least have the sense of mind to know my limits.
    Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Ungood said:
    This shit... is exactly why I would NEVER talk with the general population if I was Dev, and hire a PR person to do that.. I know I am way too much an asshole to take people talking shit about my labor of love, and it would end poorly.

I agree. Mark just does not see where his strengths and weaknesses are. He really needs someone handing him talking points and what areas he can freestyle on. He really needs some advice and he really needs to take some. 
    KyleranGdemamiUngood
    Nanfoodle said:
    Ungood said:

I agree. Mark just does not see where his strengths and weaknesses are. He really needs someone handing him talking points and what areas he can freestyle on. He really needs some advice and he really needs to take some. 
    Except that...Mark has always been like this, even back in the VNBoard days he got in "robust" flame wars with any and all who he felt impugned the honor of him or his staff.

SensaiNanfoodleScotUngood

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Kyleran said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Ungood said:

Except that...Mark has always been like this, even back in the VNBoard days he got in "robust" flame wars with any and all who he felt impugned the honor of him or his staff.

I see this at work all the time. People get in silly Email battles. I try to explain that there is no need to "punch down" to a lower weight class and they should just ignore it.  Usually it's younger, more insecure guys though.  After all this time MJ should know better or someone else on his team should be able to sit him down.

Mark wins this fight, and hundreds of others by releasing a successful game.   That's really all that matters.  If his game fails nobody is going to care if he "won" a forum fight.

[Deleted User]ScotGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited September 2020
    Mark is just 100% PVP, 100% of the time. And just like in those games it fails in real life as well.

Get your game done.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    KyleranGdemami
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    man this reminds me of the Warhammer Alliance days. so corrupt 
    Gdemami

Philosophy of MMO Game Design