Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Final Fantasy XVI Reveal Blew My Mind, But Also Left Me A Bit Concerned

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Final Fantasy XVI Reveal Blew My Mind, But Also Left Me A Bit Concerned

The long rumored Final Fantasy XVI was finally unveiled at the PlayStation 5 Showcase this week and there are lots of interesting aspects to the announcement. Beyond the topline fact that we are getting a new mainline entry to the Final Fantasy series (!), it's notable that the game is being developed by Creative Business Unit III, which is Naoki Yoshida's team.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,514
    bring back turnbased...i really dont like this action style combat
    WarlyxMikehajimmywolfdragonlee66SandmanjwSailorMomCanyen109ValentinaZenJellyRoinand 8 others.

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Dont like the look of it, looks ps3 ish.
    YashaXIceAgeZenJellyarBishop[Deleted User]DeadSpockNanbino
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I say, keep the action combat going! Turn based is nice and all, but once I got the taste of good action combat games, I prefer it over old school turn based combat.

I just hope it's tactful and not spammy.
    kertinZenJellyNephethCaboSoul[Deleted User]supx2JeroKaneWaanValdheimmonochrome19and 1 other.

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573
    FF is not a system seller for me a yore because of FF15 I have no hope that the game will feel like the entire story was cut off and just made into me vs the end boss the entire game.
    [Deleted User]Nepheth
  • DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573
    I ment I have no hope it will change and the game will feel like me vs the finall boss and the entire interactions and story thrown away.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    FF7R gave me hope that this franchise can be great again. More of that, less of whatever the fuck XV was.
    YashaXZenJellyalkarionlog
  • lddiamondlddiamond Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Single player action combat will never be final fantasy to me.

At least Dragon Quest stayed true to its roots.
    SailorMomZenJellyRoinMensur[Deleted User]cheyaneSaltyDog79angerbeaver[Deleted User]alkarionlog
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I'd be 100% into this, if it was turn-based. I'm too old for crazy action combat. I want to relax and think things through.
    jimmywolfdragonlee66SandmanjwZenJellyMensurcheyanestrawhat0981SaltyDog79angerbeavermeerclarand 1 other.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    remsleep said:
    Never liked FF, still don't, most likely never will.
    Same. My son grew up playing these and I always dismissed the series as "fantasy for kids."

Maybe unfair of me but I still feel that way about the look and stories... and chokobos :) 

My loss maybe but so be it.
    ZenJellyjdnewell
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2020
    Nice to see no one is seeing the real problem with this game, so kudos to SE I guess on hiding it for now. Yoshida is a lead producer on this. A mmorpg director is a lead producer. On the face of it, it doesn't sound like a problem until you remember that 15 had that whole co-op thing they were trying to push pretty heavily until the whole second dlc plan got nix'd. So.....hope you like your online play.
    ZenJellyGdemami
  • GodeauGodeau Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Similar sentiments, except that I don't really like the art style they're heading towards. From the couple of minutes shown to us, it looks like a mash up between ffxiv and witcher's combat..
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    This may be the first ff title i will pass... not hyped at all for this instalment
    ZenJelly
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I thought Yoshi was team 5 not team 3?

No matter,he didn't do anything to change the game that i wanted to play,it was still the same crap,still item level gaming,classes/jobs felt handcuffed,red carpet crap is super immersive breaking.
    SE has always been hit n miss on combat ideas,Bosses in particular.At first I was sold on crafting being better but after I was not.FFXI's crafting may have seemed more harsh but there was ALWAYS a market many years later even for level 1 items.The game only turned into a broken power creep game 12 or so years later.

I feel this game Yoshi is taking all the credit for was so painful to play that after 6 months giving reborn a try i just had to get out.I have WAY more fun...immersion within Atlas.Sure i miss the days of sub classes and I really enjoyed attaining npc's,the chocobo's were a better option than in FFXI "obviously" but I don't miss anything else.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I had long hoped mmorpg's would evolve more into a survival type game,realistic features/immersion,build structures,homes,ships,sail the seas you know live a life like a person really would.
    I want mmorpg's to feel like a person in a living world and not someone who goes around doing zone completions or circle ring fights.I want to dive in the water and drown,fight sharks,battle pirate ships "actually could have some of that in FFXI".

I really enjoyed Besieged in FFXI,an event that felt real,hordes of beastmen invade the capital city,players would join from all over.We had some cool events in FFXIV like I enjoyed seeing a giant Shantotto,stuff like that i do really enjoy but MOST of the game is just a completion check list,i could just play Guild wars for that crap or play Wow for item level gaming.

My game would be a cross between a better FFXI version,Minecraft and Atlas and guess what FFXIV is not very close at all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• danastydanasty Member UncommonPosts: 20
    will ff ever change that narcissist metrosexual look of their characters? like ever?
    i just cant get over it. and probably never will.
    ZenJellySensaistrawhat0981angerbeaverYashaX
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    Looks like it is following in the footsteps of FFXV, which I think was a truly terrible and miserable game. Very unfortunate.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Final Fantasy singleplayer games seem to have forgotten the "fantasy" part after Fran in FFXII. Every single playable character is human. No Fran's or Vivi's or Red XIII's or Kumari's.
    Kihmari can die in a fire, totally agree with the others, brilliant characters.

As for FFXVI, I’ll buy it since I own them all but most certainly not day one. And about FFXVII Re giving hope for the series, it was a step up but a very uneven production to me, much more then the maligned XIII and XV. It still was a better game in the end but I wouldn’t call it a return to form. I think since XII was released, World of Final Fantasy Maxima might actually be the best FF, not counting the MMORPG.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

OG_Zorvan said:

Final Fantasy singleplayer games seem to have forgotten the "fantasy" part after Fran in FFXII. Every single playable character is human. No Fran's or Vivi's or Red XIII's or Kumari's.

to please a big part of the murican crowd that always complain about something. Cute characters? pedo!, small creatures? for kids!, sexy characters? horny high school boys!, etc etc. Always complaining about something so Square Enix is giving them what they want. Bland poo
    strawhat0981LackingMMOYashaX

OG_Zorvan said:

to please a big part of the murican crowd that always complain about something. Cute characters? pedo!, small creatures? for kids!, sexy characters? horny high school boys!, etc etc. Always complaining about something so Square Enix is giving them what they want. Bland poo
    More like:

Cute characters? Always goddamn annoying.
    Small creatures? Usually goddamn annoying.
    Sexy characters? Never left, never will.

Personally wish that all JRPGs would remove playable children. Not because "pedobait," but because they are almost exclusively obnoxious, insufferable characters. 
    alkarionlog
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited September 2020
    Aeander said:

More like:

Cute characters? Always goddamn annoying.
    Small creatures? Usually goddamn annoying.
    Sexy characters? Never left, never will.

Personally wish that all JRPGs would remove playable children. Not because "pedobait," but because they are almost exclusively obnoxious, insufferable characters. 

those were just some examples. There's a lot of stuff people always complain about instead of just moving on to a game they like. Just look at all the censorship and unnecessary changes demanded by incompetent snowflake "journos" causing controversy over nothing. Plenty of players do it too.

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if Naoki Yoshida is only adding humans to FF16 to avoid the people who complained in FF14 about Lalafel and Miqote.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    edited September 2020
    Yeah, no thanks. Not counting 11 and 14, haven't enjoyed a console FF since 10. I just don't have any interest in buying and attempting to play them anymore. They just aren't what I'm looking for in my FF RPG's.  Shout out to blueturtle13 though. He mentioned a game called Star Renegade in another discussion. Looked it up, and tried it. Absolutely loving it.

Square you use to be one of my favorite RPG makers. But much like Bioware now, I just can't get behind what you do anymore. Happy for the people that enjoyed 12, 13, 15, and 7 remake. Every gamer should have something they enjoy playing.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• MurmaiderMurmaider Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Personally, i actually feel a bit "meh" about this game.
    The fantasy seems a bit low and i guess i just miss the days of their creative fantasy such as gunblades and such.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I think they are chasing a different fan base who like action combat. I am not into it since I suck at it. I can understand their change because I am getting older and out of touch but younger players prefer this and they have to move with the times. Just makes me sad though as I have always loved Final Fanatsy.
    [Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited September 2020
    You can only change gameplay so much before it becomes a new type of FF game, no longer part of the series except in lore. Not sure if this goes too far, only launch will tell us that.
    [Deleted User]
    Scot said:
    You can only change gameplay so much before it becomes a new type of FF game, no longer part of the series except in lore. Not sure if this goes too far, only launch will tell us that.
    At a certain point, FF no longer even has an identity. I'm pretty sure we've already passed that point.

cheyane said:
    I think they are chasing a different fan base who like action combat. I am not into it since I suck at it. I can understand their change because I am getting older and out of touch but younger players prefer this and they have to move with the times. Just makes me sad though as I have always loved Final Fanatsy.
    Yes, and I think the reason for that is that they already have the turn based market cornered with Dragon Quest. If they tried making that action combat, heads would roll.
    [Deleted User]