Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Upgrade Suggestions

drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535
Hey everyone. I'm looking to upgrade my current PC built about 3 years ago. Money isn't an issue but I don't want too be wasteful. Looking to future proof for 2+ years and be able to max out RTX games at 4k.

Current specs:
-SLI GTX 1080 TI
-i9-7900X
-32 gb ddr4 ram
-Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme
-an overkill PSU and plenty of SSD and HD storage
- 4k display with 60mhz refresh 

My current plan is I'm looking to go from an SLI setup to a single card and just get a new RTX 3080 or 3090. I have a water cooled loop so I can overclock the CPU so that should be good for a while right? Another question I have is weather it's worth upgrading to a 4k monitor with a faster refresh rate. I also admittedly know very little of the new Radeon GPU line so is that worth waiting around for?

Thanks for reading! This board helped me build my first PC years ago so it's always my go to.

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    drakes821 said:
    Hey everyone. I'm looking to upgrade my current PC built about 3 years ago. Money isn't an issue but I don't want too be wasteful. Looking to future proof for 2+ years and be able to max out RTX games at 4k.

Current specs:
    -SLI GTX 1080 TI
    -i9-7900X
    -32 gb ddr4 ram
    -Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme
    -an overkill PSU and plenty of SSD and HD storage
    - 4k display with 60mhz refresh 

My current plan is I'm looking to go from an SLI setup to a single card and just get a new RTX 3080 or 3090. I have a water cooled loop so I can overclock the CPU so that should be good for a while right? Another question I have is weather it's worth upgrading to a 4k monitor with a faster refresh rate. I also admittedly know very little of the new Radeon GPU line so is that worth waiting around for?

Thanks for reading! This board helped me build my first PC years ago so it's always my go to.

IMO upgrading graphics cards now is not the best move unless you just have money to burn. By January we will see AMD and Nvidia slug it out and will release more cards with more options and that just means the older, now newer GPUs, will just go down in price. People who buy early always pay that premium and dont always end up getting the best option. 
    drakes821[Deleted User]
  • drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535
    Nanfoodle said:
    IMO upgrading graphics cards now is not the best move unless you just have money to burn. By January we will see AMD and Nvidia slug it out and will release more cards with more options and that just means the older, now newer GPUs, will just go down in price. People who buy early always pay that premium and dont always end up getting the best option. 
    Good point. Any sense of haste to upgrade would be to get it before Cyberpunks launch in November but who knows if the RTX 30x0s will even be readily available by then. Is it normal for Nvidia to release more GPUs once Radeon comes out with their line?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    drakes821 said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Good point. Any sense of haste to upgrade would be to get it before Cyberpunks launch in November but who knows if the RTX 30x0s will even be readily available by then. Is it normal for Nvidia to release more GPUs once Radeon comes out with their line?
    Yes. It’s normal for the Ti/Super editions to get released in response to competition. Or at the very least, spec bumps and price cuts to existing models where competition exists
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Ridelynn said:
    drakes821 said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Yes. It’s normal for the Ti/Super editions to get released in response to competition. Or at the very least, spec bumps and price cuts to existing models where competition exists
    But that normally happens when NVidia's own models are bit older and NVidia can get advantage over having better yields and having found all the problems with the previous products.

I don't think NVidia has ability (or enough reliability) to pull super/ti -upgrades to their models this quickly.
    Quizzical

remsleep said:

1. Your display needs an upgrade to high refresh 4k adaptive sync panel, yes it matters its pretty huge in terms of delivering a smooth gameplay experience 
    Imho for 4K gaming the adaptive sync update is at least as important as refresh rate upgrade:

You can't run stuff at that high refresh rate at 4K. If your current monitor already supports adaptive refresh rate, then it's likely good enough as it is. But if you get update that gives you both higher refresh rate and adaptive refresh rate, that'd be large enough update to consider buying new monitor.

remsleep said:

4. If you are really looking to future proof - time to upgrade your mobo/cpu and go to pci 4 and and nvme 2.0 drives, which vastly outperform SSDs
    I think that would be overkill, and also a bit premature. We don't have that many PCIe 4 SSDs on market yet.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Vrika said:
    Ridelynn said:
    drakes821 said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    But that normally happens when NVidia's own models are bit older and NVidia can get advantage over having better yields and having found all the problems with the previous products.

I don't think NVidia has ability (or enough reliability) to pull super/ti -upgrades to their models this quickly.
    My guess is they have scaled the new 3000 series that upgrades are possible. And I am sure AMD will do the same. Keeping people on having the best treadmill makes them a lot of money.
    Vrika said:
    remsleep said:

1. Your display needs an upgrade to high refresh 4k adaptive sync panel, yes it matters its pretty huge in terms of delivering a smooth gameplay experience 
    Imho for 4K gaming the adaptive sync update is at least as important as refresh rate upgrade:

You can't run stuff at that high refresh rate at 4K. If your current monitor already supports adaptive refresh rate, then it's likely good enough as it is. But if you get update that gives you both higher refresh rate and adaptive refresh rate, that'd be large enough update to consider buying new monitor.
    Yes I forgot to add my monitor has g sync so it would only be a refresh upgrade and possible hdr support.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    As Vrika said, refreshes are normally due to improving yields from respins or a more mature process node.  They also only happen if the company doesn't have anything new to offer, which would make the refresh superfluous.  With process node improvements slowing down, that's far more common than it used to be, but I don't think it's automatic that it will happen.
    Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll stick with what I have now, wait for the new GPU launch drama to go down, and look to by a new GPU early next year/mid next year.
    The GeForce RTX 3080 had a very soft launch, and the RTX 3090 will be the same.  Don't count on either card being widely available at MSRP this year.  Both rely on memory that isn't yet in mass production, and the video cards can't really be in mass production until the memory that they rely on is.  That's why Nvidia didn't even have enough cards to provide review samples to a lot of the usual review sites.

It's not clear whether Navi 2X will have the same problem.  If it relies on GDDR6X, it will have the same problem for the same reasons.  If it relies on HBM2 or GDDR6, then the memory will be plentiful, but there could be other delays.  And HBM2 could cause cost problems, while GDDR6 could cause performance problems unless AMD goes with a much wider memory bus, which will also cause cost problems.

As best as I can tell, neither Samsung nor Hynix are producing GDDR6X memory at all.  That would be shocking for a long-lived, widely used memory standard.  It would make a lot of sense if it's going to be some short-lived thing that is only used for one chip ever.  On that basis, I'm guessing that AMD won't use GDDR6X, but that's just a guess.

As for when RTX 3080 and 3090 will become widely available, that really depends on when the memory is.  Take the date that Micron announces that GDDR6X is in mass production and add a few months.  That announcement could come any day, or it might be several months away.
  • hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Also, wait for the 20gb variant of 3080. And a leak says 3090 is only 10% faster than 3080.
    Some info on RTX 3080 production numbers:

Verkkokauppa.com, a Finnish retailer with 4 physical stores and a web store, apparently got 10 units of RTX 3080 for their whole chain.

Source: www.verkkokauppa.com. The website is only in Finnish, but if someone understands Finnish they do list number of recently received products and recently sold products for everything they have on sale. Out of 12 different RTX 3080 models only one had recently arrived units, and even for that only 10 units.

edited September 2020
    hupa said:
    Also, wait for the 20gb variant of 3080. And a leak says 3090 is only 10% faster than 3080.
    If 3090 is only 10% faster than 3080, then there's not a lot of sense to wait to 20 gb variant that would slot between current 3080 and 3090 but at higher price than current 3080.

I think it's telling that in Nvidia's statement about the shortage, they emphasized the number of stores and that they're shipping more every day, but didn't say anything about the number of cards shipped.  The worldwide total could easily be in the thousands, or even hundreds.
    edited September 2020
    Nanfoodle said:
    Vrika said:
    Ridelynn said:
    drakes821 said:
    Nanfoodle said:

My guess is they have scaled the new 3000 series that upgrades are possible. And I am sure AMD will do the same. Keeping people on having the best treadmill makes them a lot of money.
    Based on Gigabyte's website they really do have Super models coming, and those models have double the RAM of original models.

The upcoming Super models might be just doubled RAM with no other changes, kind of like AMD is doing with different RX 570 and RX 580 models at the moment.

Source: 
      https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-s-upcoming-RTX-3060-Super-8-GB-RTX-3070-Super-16-GB-and-RTX-3080-Super-20-GB-models-confirmed-by-Gigabyte-listing.494640.0.html