Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GeForce RTX 3080 reviews are out.

2»

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited September 2020
    cheyane said:
    Yes I use 1080. Ahh no it is 1920 X 1200

Yeah you need a new PC/monitor before a new gpu I think.  A 3080 is for people with say rtx 2070 or lower gpu that feel like they gpu they are using can't handle the games and resolution they are playing using.

Your 1920x1200 is essentially a 1920x1080 just it's 19:10 instead of 16:9

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited September 2020
    Asm0deus said:
    cheyane said:

Yeah you need a new PC/monitor before a new gpu I think.  A 3080 is for people with say rtx 270 or lower gpu that feel like the gpu they are using can't handle the games and resolution they are playing using.
    I see okay. Don't really have space for a bigger monitor my PC area is cramped. My table has a bar over where the monitor is and the monitor cannot go above that height. I have loads of stuff all around the PC table so ..... 

My husband says I live in a warren not  a house.
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    Yes I use 1080. Ahh no it is 1920 X 1200 that is probably rounded up to 1080 right.
    What CPU are you using?
    Ahh that is the other thing.
    i7-4820k
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    Asm0deus said:
    cheyane said:

Yeah you need a new PC/monitor before a new gpu I think.  A 3080 is for people with say rtx 270 or lower gpu that feel like the gpu they are using can't handle the games and resolution they are playing using.
    I see okay. Don't really have space for a bigger monitor my PC area is cramped. My table has a bar over where the monitor is and the monitor cannot go above that height. I have loads of stuff all around the PC table so ..... 

Edited my previous post btw it was full of spelling errors lol.

Resolution means more pixels on the screen it doesn't really mean a bigger PC screen meaning you can have a screen of equal size and one will be at 1080p and the other will be at 1440p but still the same size physically.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited September 2020
    cheyane said:
    cheyane said:
    Yes I use 1080. Ahh no it is 1920 X 1200 that is probably rounded up to 1080 right.
    What CPU are you using?
    i7-4820k

Dunno what games you play but at the very least if I was you I would wait till mid october for the cheaper 3070 to come out as 3080 will simply be overkill think.

I am looking into a 3080 but only because I will be using it in a  VR PC which requires as strong a gpu as you can justify spending on.

btw you never mentioned what gpu you currently use?

edited September 2020
    Asm0deus said:
    cheyane said:
    cheyane said:
    What CPU are you using?
    i7-4820k

Dunno what games you play but at the very least if I was you I would wait till mid october for the cheaper 3070 to come out as 3080 will simply be overkill think.

I am looking into a 3080 but only because I will be using it in a  VR PC which requires as strong a gpu as you can justify spending on.

btw you never mentioned what gpu you currently use?
    About that lol right now Atelier ones replaying them. They can run on a toaster. They were PS 1, 2 and 3 games.
    Chamber of Chains
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited September 2020
    It's always best to wait 6 months before buying new hardware. From experience, you don't want to be the first one out the door with a tech product. The first run typically has issues that are ironed out in the second run.

For VR, you want a balanced system for consistent frame rates. Any drop below 90 fps may become vomit inducing.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Asm0deus said:
    cheyane said:
    My Alienware has 875 watts power supply but the card won't fit into the Aurora R4 plus it is almost 6 years old. I am probably going to have to get a new machine for the card.

Just get a new PC case and put w/e is in your aurora r4 into it? 

No need to buy a new "machine" if what you have works and isn't that old.  That said if it's 6 years old might be a good time to plan a new build.

If you just transfer the "guts" of your aurora you don't even have to reformat or anything other than putting in the proper driver for you new gpu.
    It might not be that easy to just get a new case.  Dell is fond of doing all sorts of weird, custom things to ensure that in order to change anything, you have to buy the replacement parts from them at inflated prices.  If they were to put motherboard screw holes in non-standard places, for example, then you won't be able to attach the old motherboard to a new case.  You might be able to replace the case, but for that old of a machine, I'd sooner just replace it outright.
    edited September 2020
    Quizzical said:
    Asm0deus said:
    cheyane said:
    My Alienware has 875 watts power supply but the card won't fit into the Aurora R4 plus it is almost 6 years old. I am probably going to have to get a new machine for the card.

Just get a new PC case and put w/e is in your aurora r4 into it? 

No need to buy a new "machine" if what you have works and isn't that old.  That said if it's 6 years old might be a good time to plan a new build.

If you just transfer the "guts" of your aurora you don't even have to reformat or anything other than putting in the proper driver for you new gpu.
    It might not be that easy to just get a new case.  Dell is fond of doing all sorts of weird, custom things to ensure that in order to change anything, you have to buy the replacement parts from them at inflated prices.  If they were to put motherboard screw holes in non-standard places, for example, then you won't be able to attach the old motherboard to a new case.  You might be able to replace the case, but for that old of a machine, I'd sooner just replace it outright.

Highly doubtful in my experience even for prebuilts that do odd things the screw placements are standard to the mobo size however using odd things like those weird plastic "snap in" standoffs which also replace the standard screws  can definitely happen.

Like you say however her system is old and she should probably look into getting a new build and possibly keep this one as a back up or secondary PC.  Her PC seems fine for what she is using it for right now though so she should probably wait for black friday sales if she really needs to upgrade to a new build.

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Cleffy said:
    It's always best to wait 6 months before buying new hardware. From experience, you don't want to be the first one out the door with a tech product. The first run typically has issues that are ironed out in the second run.

For VR, you want a balanced system for consistent frame rates. Any drop below 90 fps may become vomit inducing.
    Most VR headsets have a 90hz refresh rate, so you're never getting above 90fps in the first place. The Oculus Quest was pretty well reviewed and had a 72hz refresh rate. But yeah, some people can become nauseous more easily than others in VR and severe frame rate drops aren't a good thing.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited September 2020
    bonzoso21 said:
    Cleffy said:

Most VR headsets have a 90hz refresh rate, so you're never getting above 90fps in the first place. The Oculus Quest was pretty well reviewed and had a 72hz refresh rate. But yeah, some people can become nauseous more easily than others in VR and severe frame rate drops aren't a good thing.
    It's not really the frame rate drops. It's the frame rate consistency. For instance, you can have a game that consistently delivers a frame every 5ms, but once a second it drops a couple frames every 20ms. That stutter is one of the issues with motion sickness in VR. The other is sea legs where you don't get the same sense of movement as what you are seeing. I remember reading that 90 fps is where you want it.
    [Deleted User]