Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to pick a game?

GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
I'm interested in the ways of choosing the game to play amongst scores of others. My vacation is very near and I don't want to spend it game-less. I know what I want to play later on, closer to mid-fall and closer to winter(Bioshock, Mordheim, Necromunda etc)...it's just that I don't know what to pick now(could go Nioh, Code Vein, Company of Heroes or AoE DE).

Any suggestions on how to approach this?
AlBQuirkyPhaserlight

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Gaming is very much a defence mechanism for me so i may have a slightly warped way of picking games compared to "normal" gamers, but then again maybe not, it's not something I've really compared much to other gamers.

So, I pick games to play (rather than to buy) based on a combination of mood and what is missing in my life.

I don't really have many creative outlets in my life so a common drive is to find a game that allows a decent amount of creativity. Cities: Skylines and Planet Zoo are the type of games I turn to when I desire some sort of creativity as these games allow a lot of aesthetic creativity. Creativing a beautiful (as well as functional) city or zoo is very satisfying.

If I'm feeling like an adventure, then I'll usually pick an open world RPG or action/adventure game, like Skyrim or the Assassins Creed games. This is less about the mechanics and more about the world I am exploring, so I tend to focus on games with a world I actually want to explore.

If I feel like a challenge and want maximum fun, then I'll try to find an RPG with awesome mechanics. This is really difficult to do as devs just don't seem to be makign RPGs with any depth any more. Shallow action combat and a strong focus on story means the genre has gone a completely different direction to my personal tastes.

If I feel like I need some sort of long-term focus (typically happens when plans in real life go wrong), then I'll turn to strategy games like Total War. It's fun to design long term strategies and then execute them / adapt them over the next 5-10 hours.

If im feeling competitive or in need of something intense, I usually turn to racing games. These require intense focus for the duration of a race and is really fun with a wheel and pedals. I can jump in, race for 30mins to 1hr and then im good. I don't tend to feel this way very often as real life often provides these things, but if I find myself with too much energy at the end of the day then wrestling with a wheel for an hour or two is good for me.

If I want a good story with great characters and well thought out drama, I read a book. Games suck for stories.

Looking at all these things, MMORPGs are basically the perfect fit for me. They provide (or, at least used to provide) nearly everything that I want out of gaming, all at the same time. I get to adventure in an exciting world, be competitive in PvP, have intense experiences whilst raiding, I get to plan out long term goals through character progression, there's even a bit of creativity through cosmetic outfits and housing. On top of all that, I get to be social at the same time and experience teamwork and cameradarie.

Sadly, with the drop in quality in MMOs, they no longer provide what I'm after so I rarely play them any more, but I live in hope for a good one at some points.
    AlBQuirkyGorwexpsyncAmaranthar
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Since you are not planning to play one now for long ( just while you wait on those other ones), I would pick whichever game you think has the best early to mid-game experience. Maybe there are free trials to help with the pick.
    GorweAlBQuirkyxpsync

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    Gaming is very much a defence mechanism for me so i may have a slightly warped way of picking games compared to "normal" gamers, but then again maybe not, it's not something I've really compared much to other gamers.

So, I pick games to play (rather than to buy) based on a combination of mood and what is missing in my life.

I don't really have many creative outlets in my life so a common drive is to find a game that allows a decent amount of creativity. Cities: Skylines and Planet Zoo are the type of games I turn to when I desire some sort of creativity as these games allow a lot of aesthetic creativity. Creativing a beautiful (as well as functional) city or zoo is very satisfying.

If I'm feeling like an adventure, then I'll usually pick an open world RPG or action/adventure game, like Skyrim or the Assassins Creed games. This is less about the mechanics and more about the world I am exploring, so I tend to focus on games with a world I actually want to explore.

If I feel like a challenge and want maximum fun, then I'll try to find an RPG with awesome mechanics. This is really difficult to do as devs just don't seem to be makign RPGs with any depth any more. Shallow action combat and a strong focus on story means the genre has gone a completely different direction to my personal tastes.

If I feel like I need some sort of long-term focus (typically happens when plans in real life go wrong), then I'll turn to strategy games like Total War. It's fun to design long term strategies and then execute them / adapt them over the next 5-10 hours.

If im feeling competitive or in need of something intense, I usually turn to racing games. These require intense focus for the duration of a race and is really fun with a wheel and pedals. I can jump in, race for 30mins to 1hr and then im good. I don't tend to feel this way very often as real life often provides these things, but if I find myself with too much energy at the end of the day then wrestling with a wheel for an hour or two is good for me.

If I want a good story with great characters and well thought out drama, I read a book. Games suck for stories.

Looking at all these things, MMORPGs are basically the perfect fit for me. They provide (or, at least used to provide) nearly everything that I want out of gaming, all at the same time. I get to adventure in an exciting world, be competitive in PvP, have intense experiences whilst raiding, I get to plan out long term goals through character progression, there's even a bit of creativity through cosmetic outfits and housing. On top of all that, I get to be social at the same time and experience teamwork and cameradarie.

Sadly, with the drop in quality in MMOs, they no longer provide what I'm after so I rarely play them any more, but I live in hope for a good one at some points.
    I sure don't think like that, it was most enlightening, thank you!
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Gorwe said:

You're welcome :P

Most of this thinking occurs on an unconscious level, but I've spent a lot of time over the last 5+ years trying to get my head right so I've spent a lot of time on introspection, as well as doing some research into psychology.

Understanding why you find something fun (or not) is a great way to help you find more things that are fun and avoid things that aren't.
    GorweAlBQuirky
    Amathe said:
    Since you are not planning to play one now for long ( just while you wait on those other ones), I would pick whichever game you think has the best early to mid-game experience. Maybe there are free trials to help with the pick.
    I rarely if ever play the games for the long term. I play for the enjoyment in the moment. With some themes based around seasons etc(Bioshock 1 and 2 just feel like Autumn games lol ; late October and November). Though I like to have replayable "trash" games which are enjoyable to just fire up and have fun(vs AI preferably). I am lacking such a "trash" game right now.
    Gorwe said:

Most of this thinking occurs on an unconscious level, but I've spent a lot of time over the last 5+ years trying to get my head right so I've spent a lot of time on introspection, as well as doing some research into psychology.

Understanding why you find something fun (or not) is a great way to help you find more things that are fun and avoid things that aren't.
    Definitely not introspective enough. I mostly play similar games as is. How's Monster Hunter?
    AlBQuirky
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Id suggest read reviews and watch it on twitch and the try free trial if possible 
    AlBQuirky
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    If you're not sure what you want to play, then pick some sort of random number generator to decide for you.  Flip coins, roll dice, or whatever.  After you see the results of the random number generator, if you dislike what it came up with because you wish it had returned something else, then you ignore it and go with what you now know that you want to do.
    [Deleted User]SovrathAlBQuirkyAmaranthar
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    How I pick games.

Get in discord with my friends.

"So what we hitting up?"

"really, that shit again?"

"Alright.. Logging in"
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited September 2020
    It depends on the mood for me. I usually alternate genres.

Beginning of this year, I was playing survival games and trying mmorpgs. When that got tiring, I switched back to single player games. I picked up on some old rpgs I wanted to play (final fantasy series in particular), and I finished FF 13, FF 13-2, FF 13 Lightning returns. I still have FF 15 to go through and someday also finish FF 12, but I needed something different to play and switched again.

So, to not tell you my whole life, that's what I generally do. If I feel like wanting to play a game focused on X, I favour one genre over the other. The gist of it all is, I try to find a main game (when I can spend more than an hour of playtime), and a sub game for when I just have little time and want to wind off. 
    AlBQuirky

Perhaps I could play TitanQuest + Paths mod, that is always good.
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited September 2020
    Do you like board games?

If so, there are a bunch on Steam (including Tabletop Simulator with a whole slew of board games for it) that are AI driven (or player invites) and quick and easy to play.

I can play some as quick as an hour or as long as 4 to 5 hours, all in one sitting. I go to Freecell if I sit staring at my PC too long not making a choice for a game to play :)
    Catibrie

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Typically i pick two mmorpg's and stick to them for years and years, you'll never run out of game this way, if you pick wisely.

I'll sprinkle in some single player games along the way, but tbh, lately, i buy them, crack in to them and then straight back to my mmorpg's, just way too much to do.
    AlBQuirky
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Dart boards work well I find. 

UngoodGorweAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gorwe said:
    Amathe said:
    I rarely if ever play the games for the long term. I play for the enjoyment in the moment. With some themes based around seasons etc(Bioshock 1 and 2 just feel like Autumn games lol ; late October and November). Though I like to have replayable "trash" games which are enjoyable to just fire up and have fun(vs AI preferably). I am lacking such a "trash" game right now.
    Gorwe said:

Definitely not introspective enough. I mostly play similar games as is. How's Monster Hunter?
    Man, I still haven’t convinced you to play Monster Hunter World?  ;) How about this, its 15 bucks on the Humble store right now, go get it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    lahnmir said:
    Gorwe said:
    Amathe said:
    Gorwe said:

Man, I still haven’t convinced you to play Monster Hunter World?  ;) How about this, its 15 bucks on the Humble store right now, go get it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Another vote for Monster Hunter World. I am so bad at these action games and even I managed to kill a few targets and the game is really fun. It really gives you the sense danger and scares you too (damn you Tyrannosaurus Rex don't creep up on me and roar like that). It is a good game.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyxpsyncKyleran
    Chamber of Chains
    lahnmir said:
    Gorwe said:
    Amathe said:
    Gorwe said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Of course I have purchased it. It's a bargain for 15$. Now, if only Iceborne came with the base game in tow...meh. I guess that Nightfall doesn't come with Prophecies, either, those are standalones.

My biggest problem is that it's quite heavy on the storage. 45 GB is no laughing matter! I should probably buy at least 3TB HDD.
    AlBQuirky
    edited September 2020
    It's more if you want to also install the high resolution texture pack :D
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]

Bloodaxes said:
    ...how much more?
    AlBQuirky
    Gorwe said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    ...how much more?
    Becomes 90 GB in total.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]Kyleran

edited September 2020
    Bloodaxes said:
    Gorwe said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    ...how much more?
    Becomes 90 GB in total.
    Tbh, I expected even more. Some people should really learn how to be efficient with resources rather than splurging like that! I have enough willpower for only one ass huge game(60GB+) and that'll be Nioh.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    How much hard drive space do you have ? I have 930 GB (one TB when I bought it) but I only install games I am playing. My SSD (250 GB when I bought it) is only big enough for my OS and may be one game so I seldom put anything there.

My computer is around 5-6 years old now.
    Chamber of Chains
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    SIngle player games have so much variety...That is where it can be difficult to make up your mind...MMOs have basically been the same for the last 16 years...I haven't fiound one that was special or unique in that time.....Single player games I usually use searches on Steam and read the reviews. If it looks like something I might like and the price is right, then I go to youtube amd watch some videos on it to gain a little more insight.
    AlBQuirky
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    My own personal rule is to pay attention to my mental state after playing; use this as a heuristic for guiding where to spend time and energy.
    AlBQuirkyGorwe

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Last night i read something about the new Flight Simulator, was a fan of the series,  and what do you know FREE! on microsoft game pass on pc. How can i not check it out.

That could be dynamite option for you op, best option is to pay for live gold, then drop a buck and convert to pass, for the year or up to three in advance. Good savings.

It's like steam but everything is free.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    For MMOs, I have a bucket list of things I love in my games. Trinity tab target is at the top of that list. Story is second. So on and so on. I no longer get upset with little things that used to bug me. With MMOs it's impossible to find everything you want.

Standard video games. It's story, story and story. If it has fun combat as well it's a big icing on the cake. Again, I no longer look for the perfect game. Love steam for finding deals on games that are awesome over the past 10 years. 
    xpsyncAlBQuirky