Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future Races

2»

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    achesoma said:
    Yeah I’m not getting Dark Elf vibe from Dark Myr either. These are clearly fish people. 

Pantheon April Producers Letter Shows Skar Dark Myr and Archai Models -  MMOCULT - MMORPG Blog  Community

So ... Does that make them edible? Fish sticks on the barby mate!
    achesomaAdamantine

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Nanfoodle said:
    I have and no they are not. Even their religion is ideals are not the same. Their goals as a race and back story are not even close. Sure its Pantheons idea to be different but they are not Dark Elves no matter how many times you say it =-) I do like the Dark Myr, its nice to see unique races but again, not Dark Elves. Also, Dark Elves are way Sexier. 

... wtf ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

"Backstory" ? What *backstory* ?

Darkelves have a completely different backstory in every game I know. They certainly dont all live underground; for example TES darkelves do not. While DnD darkelves are part of a huge underground world with many other races. As I said, backstories are different.

Also Darkelves in TES are very different from DnD, both are very different from any MMO I know, etc.

The only exception is that they are more or less evil and more or less outcasts, which both is true for Pantheon anyway, so whats the "change" there.

Personally I dont like the idea of "evil" races in the first place and most highly welcome the change in DnD5 that theres now darkelves in Forgotten Realms which arent evil (just seen that on the Baldurs Gate 3 character creation screen because first previews are out).

And by the way, pantheon darkelves are not even that original a change. They merely mixed DnD Darkelves with DnD Seaelves.

The change to Gnomes, which are all golems now, is way bigger.

Most other races pretty much stayed the same as in EQ and VG. Unfortunately they merged Highelves and Woodelves and then reintroduced them again, which meant Highelves and Woodelves share a list of allowed classes now and there are no longer Highelf Paladins and Clerics, which I find highly annoying because Highelf Paladin was exactly the class I was going for.

achesoma said:
    Then on the concept art page there is this

Frankly this is gros.

If you want to give me wings, please give me actual wings, not insect wings !

Unless that race would be actually insect sized, then thats okay.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    Get it launched then spend time on new races.
    Adamantine
    svann said:
    If they had dark elves people would just complain that they copied EQ.

I cant make any sense of this posting.

Are you unaware that Pantheon is supposed to be a spiritual successor of EQ and VG ?

But then if you were, why would you mention EQ ?

Also, plenty of the races in Pantheon are just like in EQ and VG. Humans, Dwarves, regular Elves, and Halflings are all fully traditional. Nobody complaints about that, ever.

In fact nobody complaints if stuff is copied over from EQ. And plenty of stuff is copied over from EQ. I dont see people complaining about it.

In fact my usual complaint in this forum is that I cant play Highelf Paladin in Pantheon, which was an option in both EQ and VG, and that I dont see enough of VG in Pantheon, which would be fine if it was replaced with something even more improved, but I dont see that happening much either. People just ignore VG and revert back to EQ.

Well, personally I never played EQ and I dont like EQ, so I guess you can see me complaining if something that in my opinion was improved in VG just reappears like it was in EQ. But I'm in the minority.

• HidesBehindShadowHidesBehindShadow Member UncommonPosts: 41
    I like the Dark Elves from Vanguard or the way they looked but the city was pathetic imo. It was basically a hole in the desert ground with a few rooms. I ended up changing my first character   because of that pathetic city.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    I like the Dark Elves from Vanguard or the way they looked but the city was pathetic imo. It was basically a hole in the desert ground with a few rooms. I ended up changing my first character   because of that pathetic city.
    I loved the Dark Elves from EQ1 and forgotten realms, the real OG Dark Elves from DnD. I dont like the direction of races cant have an evil inclination. I love the story of Drizzt in forgotten realms, where even being surrounded evil, individuals can free think and choose to be good. Makes for great story and drama. I do hope this gets revisited after launch. 

Err ... that makes hardly any sense, since the starter city of a race did not actually matter.

You'll be basically never visiting it again after the start, and if you do, then not because you're a darkelf, but because some quest sends you this way.

In fact in the late stages of Vanguard, one would never even see the city of your race, because everyone started on that Newbie island.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

Err ... that makes hardly any sense, since the starter city of a race did not actually matter.

You'll be basically never visiting it again after the start, and if you do, then not because you're a darkelf, but because some quest sends you this way.

In fact in the late stages of Vanguard, one would never even see the city of your race, because everyone started on that Newbie island.
    Starting race cities do matter. They paint a picture and tell part of the story of that race. If story and lore does not matter to you, then sure, its just a place to bank and vendor items. For many it adds much depth to the race they play. Its why so many complain that races dont have their own unique starting city over cheeping out and having 2-5 races all have the same starting city. I am glad Pantheon team gets that. Money well spent IMO.
  • HidesBehindShadowHidesBehindShadow Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Nanfoodle said:

Starting race cities do matter. They paint a picture and tell part of the story of that race. If story and lore does not matter to you, then sure, its just a place to bank and vendor items. For many it adds much depth to the race they play. Its why so many complain that races dont have their own unique starting city over cheeping out and having 2-5 races all have the same starting city. I am glad Pantheon team gets that. Money well spent IMO.
    This, some people just don't get it loll.
    Nanfoodleachesoma