Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mark Jacobs desperately needs a Community Relations Manager

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Jacobs announced earlier today on MOP that he's taking a break from discussing things with people there because it's not "fun" any more.  Then, he decided to go to a Reddit post I made about it and argue with people there.  This is the CEO of the company developing Camelot Unchained, personally fighting with anonymous backers and trolls on the internet.  If anyone ever needed to take a step back and hire a Community Relations manager, it's him.  Completely ignoring whether or not he makes valid points, it's just not appropriate for the head of a company to get personally involved in this way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchained/comments/ildddd/mark_jacobs_is_now_taking_a_break_from_mop/?sort=new
Gdemamimeddyck

Comments

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670
    edited September 2020
    I mean.. the guy is taking a lot of crap and I feel for him. Having worked in customer facing positions it's not fun. But to watch him go there, basically following them, and continue to argue is just  :# That was just a really bad idea. Not only that, but it was hours after he had already said he was taking a break from MOP. Maybe he meant take a break from there and go to reddit? Lol
    meddyck
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    numatic said:
    I mean.. the guy is taking a lot of crap and I feel for him. Having worked in customer facing positions it's not fun. But to watch him go there, basically following them, and continue to argue is just  :# That was just a really bad idea. Not only that, but it was hours after he had already said he was taking a break from MOP. Maybe he meant take a break from there and go to reddit? Lol
    I'd feel a lot more sympathy for him if he was being honest about what I believe is the real reason refunds aren't being processed.  But to not only argue with people on MOP, but also follow them to Reddit to continue to argue...That's just odd.
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    numatic said:
    I'd feel a lot more sympathy for him if he was being honest about what I believe is the real reason refunds aren't being processed.  But to not only argue with people on MOP, but also follow them to Reddit to continue to argue...That's just odd.
    Especially since he hasn't made an appearance on the CU reddit for quite some time, strange time to start now.
    Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if I was ever a game dev, there is no way in hell I would slog it with the masses, I would hire a PR person to deal with that, and give nice clean satanized posts. Fuck em if they feel like I am alof.
    Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Ungood said:
    if I was ever a game dev
    ...and that is why you aren't one.

What you propose is quite unfeasible.
    KyleranMightyUncleanAsheram
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited September 2020
    Where's Ragnarok? he said in 6 months it would be ready??

I genuinely want to play it.

About the PR... I don't get why he goes off the rails at people especially since he barely has any type of working game..

If he had an amazing game then I understand critics may be annoying after all the work and great outcome but why always so combative?
    I still get the CU backer emails and he's still able to write coherent sentences so why does it seem like to the public he is having a mental breakdown whenever people call him out on stuff which in many situations is justified IMO. Always so quick to start name calling even people who have given him hundreds of dollars. Calling someone a troll for calling him out on his shyt is dbag behavior IMO.

You can say "he isn't a PR guy" but aren't human being all given the ability to communicate in a civilized way even when something is troubling? Isn't he from Jersey or NY? He should have double of what I just mentioned especially if he comes from one of those two places.

Gdemamimeddyck
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    This is the same mistake our old friend Jeremy from CoE made, you need someone to do this job for you. I can't think of anything else a COE could do which would make him more fed up with his job, not a good place to be.
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:
    if I was ever a game dev

Better tell Steven there's no way he can speak intelligently about Ashes of Creation until he gets proper Dev credentials.

You make it too easy.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Yes. Dealing with the masses is hard. Dealing with the internet masses is harder. He needs a professional. His posts show he is not that professional.
    [Deleted User]xpsyncSovrath

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited September 2020
    Amathe said:
    Yes. Dealing with the masses is hard. Dealing with the internet masses is harder. He needs a professional. His posts show he is not that professional.
    I wouldn't even say he needs a professional PR person (though it wouldn't hurt).  He simply needs to stop replying to every complaint.  There was a song I heard sometime.. I can't remember the words but it was something like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnN6glKaWdE

[Deleted User]Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited September 2020
    Amathe said:

Pretty much continues to make himself look like a fool for behaving that way.

He should just do a monthly pr or dev blog and be done with it and focus the f on making the f'ing game ffs.
    meddyck
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    edited September 2020
    A community is a reciprocal relationship. Pantheon, Ashes and games like these are doing a great job of that. When you want someone to trust you, you need to ask. If I did this, would it damage our relationship? We do this with friends we care about. We would not invite a friend over for dinner and play music they dont like and feed them food they dont enjoy. 

Who do developers want as their community? When they can answer that question, then they need to define their actions to fit that player types wants. If Mark cant figure that out, he should hire someone who knows how to handle that. Im not sure he is the man to do this. 
    Gdemami
    edited September 2020
    Kyleran said:
    You make it too easy.
    ....actually, that's your doing - flawed logic(or in your case lack of any reason at all) produce w/e results you desire.

AoC spoke person is their dev, a Creative director Steven Shariff.

So no, they do not have hired an extra person to do the PR as proposed by Ungood. It's unfeasible idea as explained elsewhere.
    MightyUncleanKyleranAsheram
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    remsleep said:
    Mark has always been like this - since early days of DAoC and VN forum boards 20 years ago - he used to argue with players and forum trolls.

Nothing has changed.

Anyone remember before warhammer online launch - he said something along the lines

"Look at us after launch, a week post launch, a month, six months after - if we are not adding more servers we are not doing well"

Needless to say - they never added any servers - players never let this one go and trolled Mark over this forever
    Like I said above, he would do better having someone else do this for him. Someone to give him talking points that would build up his rep and that of the game. Its the problem when good developers run a company, often what they are good at does not translate to running a company or being the face of that company. 
    xpsync[Deleted User]Gdemami
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    edited September 2020
    Maybe if he would stop posting like a 10yr old girl and actually work on the f#cking game he's supposed to be making things wouldn't escalate the way they continually do.  He and his team deserve every bit of scorn they receive.
    xpsyncGdemami

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Maybe if he would stop posting like a 10yr old girl and actually work on the f#cking game he's supposed to be making things wouldn't escalate the way they continually do.  He and his team deserve every bit of scorn they receive.

Had that energy been focused on the game we'd be buying the first expansion this xmas season.
    Gdemami
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    xpsync said:
    Had that...
    ...had that people have any elementary manners and intelligence, he wouldn't be drawning so much in the mud.
    MightyUncleanRexKushmanAsheram
    xpsync said:
    Amathe said:

Pretty much continues to make himself look like a fool for behaving that way.

He should just do a monthly pr or dev blog and be done with it and focus the f on making the f'ing game ffs.
    Oh, he does do a monthly dev blog, last couple have turned into shit shows when he got into debates with the same folks from reddit and elsewhere over the same tired subjects.

He really gets upset when people lie about him, the team or the backers, which is a classic trolling tool which I'm surprised he still falls for.

Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    You make it too easy.
    ....actually, that's your doing - flawed logic(or in your case lack of any reason at all) produce w/e results you desire.

AoC spoke person is their dev, a Creative director Steven Shariff.

So no, they do not have hired an extra person to do the PR as proposed by Ungood. It's unfeasible idea as explained elsewhere.
    Steven Sharriff had no actual software development background until he started making Ashes three years ago.

Prior to that he made his fortune selling healthy juice drinks in a MLM organization.

But like many of us, he was and is an avid gamer, a major influencer in ArchAge back in the day, (still may be) but had a dream and the means to try and build his own game.

He too had all sorts of incorrect ideas when first starting out which I and several others here pointed out the flaws with his plans and promises, and so far I think we're batting a thousand.

Fortunately he went out and hired some game Producers which got the project back on track after the Apocalypse fiasco.

Its actually coming along quite well now and you can clearly see Steven's marketing background shining through with the way progress has been shared in recent months.

Nanfoodle[Deleted User]GdemamiAsheram

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Steven is a business man, Marc is a Tech guy.
    You can clearly see this.

Also business people finish projects while tech guys will enhance a game forever.

Sometimes the suits people are needed and that is why you need IT business consultants to get both sides together otherwise the game will have no soul or it has a soul but will never be finished

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

edited September 2020
    Kyleran said:
    Steven Sharriff had no actual software development background until he started making Ashes three years ago.
    ...cool, entirely irrelevant though, as usual.
    MightyUncleanAsheramKyleran
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:
    if I was ever a game dev

Shutting Up can seem impossible for some.. I agree.
    AsheramKyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.