Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel launches Tiger Lake, their first 10 nm part that actually matters.

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16063/intel-launches-11th-gen-core-tiger-lake-processors-and-evo-branding

Well, sort of.  You still can't buy them, and there's no word on when you will be able to.  Today's announcement basically means that OEMs are free to start selling laptops based on Tiger Lake as soon as they are ready to do so.  Which will probably come sometime after they get their hands on actual CPUs in sufficient volume.

On the CPU side, Tiger Lake has basically the same CPU cores as Ice Lake, and still tops out at four cores.  The difference is that with an improved process node, the max turbo can go as high as 4.8 GHz, up from 4.1 GHz on Ice Lake.  The clock speeds are still lower than Sky Lake Refresh Refresh Refresh (and also if you add another Refresh), but the IPC is considerably higher.  That should allow Tiger Lake CPUs to offer the highest single-threaded performance on the market, at least if they can actually show up before AMD's Zen 3 CPUs do later this year.

On the GPU side, this is Intel's first product with their new Xe GPU architecture.  Intel is hyping this as their first attempt at building good GPUs in about a decade, and they're hoping to finally be competitive with AMD.  Tiger Lake GPUs top out at 768 shaders, while fourth gen mobile Ryzen only goes up to 512, so at least on paper, there's the potential for Intel to be competitive.  Whether it works that way in actual games remains to be seen.

Intel is also announcing their new EVO branding for laptops.  Laptops that use an Intel CPU and have the properties that Intel thinks are important for laptops can now carry the EVO branding, rather than just the older Core branding.  The EVO branding means that Intel has verified that that particular laptop has the things that Intel thinks are important, such as Thunderbolt 4 and hardware acceleration for AI.  Of course, Samsung SSDs have long established that EVO means "not the one you actually want, but the one you might settle for", so good job to Intel on running with that.

Left unsaid in today's launch are prices and availability, among other things.  Given that the other products that Intel has released on 10 nm were very expensive, Tiger Lake probably will be, too.  But it should at least have the enough performance to not be ridiculous at a high price tag.  If Intel can be at least competitive on price, then this could be a credible competitor for fourth gen Ryzen mobile laptops.  Once the laptops eventually show up, that is.

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    I know these are laptop cpu's so it may not be such a big deal but I think they lost me at "tops out at 4 cores".

That said I am looking for a desktop cpu sooo... lol

I think I will be going Ryzen for the foreseeable future unless intel does something really truly spectacular which I highly doubt.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
    I was getting ready to get a new laptop with this stuff .  Getting so much power in small laptops but a 10 year old x230 I bought for 70 bucks is still doing everything I need.  You think things will go back to where they were in the early 2000s where you kinda had to update even to do everyday tasks.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    There will probably be versions with more than four cores eventually.  But Intel has been having so much trouble with their 10 nm process node(s), and it's much easier to get good yields on small chips.

Of course, if more than two years after Cannon Lake, Intel still isn't yet willing to go over four cores, then Ice Lake-SP must really be in trouble.  That's the successor to the mostly canceled Cooper Lake, which is the successor to Cascade Lake, which went up to 28 cores.