Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOSide Chat: Has There Ever Been A Moment Where You Felt Your Actions Changed Your MMOs World?

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageMMOSide Chat: Has There Ever Been A Moment Where You Felt Your Actions Changed Your MMOs World?

In many stories, we all play the hero. In MMORPGs, though, that story is told to you - as well as the thousands of other players around you. It can be hard to feel as though your actions matter or truly change the outcome or course of the game world. Has there ever been one of those moments where you clearly felt your actions in the story changed the world for the future?

Read the full story here

Comments

• EdgarWrighEdgarWrigh Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I played Final Fantasy 14 at launch, the first 2010 lunch. Saying the game was a disaster in almost every front was a accurate description of the game.
    Then Square Enix decided that they where going to fix it, and asked us, the fans still playing to help. I gave my piece, I tried all the new mechanics & I saw the game world end... Literally end, to make way for ARR.

Despite not having anything to do whit game design, I have my name at the credits for FF14 ARR. I made a difference, I still play this vastly different game, whit my Miqo'te having her back tattoo that will forever mark her as a Legacy character. I don't think I'll ever mark the gaming world again, nor would I want another MMO to go through the initial launch of FF14.
    xpsyncScot

Keep it Simple

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited September 2020
    I like that in bfa your character is fairly integral to the story and presented in the cutscenes (i really like that), but when in the heart it's packed with other Champions? huh? so yeah... lol

Overall nothing much comes to mind, ac2 was one where all the players actions changes the world which was pretty cool, kinda felt like you made difference.

Classic i mean the huge world raids in many ways did feel like you made a difference in that, whatever the opposing faction was doing at that moment is totally over, what a great time, i'll never get past how fun all that was.

Timing is so important in mmorpg's EQ2 2004 to 2008 if you missed it you missed it, wow launch 2004 to 2006'ish if you missed it you missed it (i missed it) Classic first 6 to 8 months if you missed it you missed it, classic is still great game but that come back wave is over, yeah, Rift first year riding that wave if you missed it you missed it, i could go on and on, and i'm sure plenty of mmorpg players out there have their own "if you missed it you missed it" moments as well, and it's not saying that they all suck after those times, it's just timing, the plague in wow, if you missed it you missed it.

Even if you missed (insert moment), the stories to read (and tell) for years and years afterwards are always a decent tale. Gather 'Round the snapchat children and i'll you the tale of the mmorpg.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Nope.

Just another brick in the wall.
    MendelUngood
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited September 2020

Nope.

Just another brick in the wall.

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

Was essentially living in Florida as as child and my grand parents bought me this album.

I remember putting it on a record player, like seriously nothing fancy, had to put the headphones on (even less fancy) pretty sure they didn't want to hear it, and yeah the cardboard speakers yeah no, and i'm telling you man i disappeared, this album tells such a great story, it was such a mesmerizing tale out of nowhere, not sure why they even bought it for me tbh, they liked neil diamond and engelbert humperdinck, they probably just heard it was great or something. I dunno and i wasn't expecting it to be such a great story/journey.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Every time I uninstall a game, I destroy a world.
    Areteo
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2020
    YOU do not change a world but perhaps a large group of YOU could make some change.

Actual change is minimal in any game that is driven on linear content.
    So in FFXi the only change was via besieged,npc's you might use could be captured so defending them and the city was important.Aside from that just content we play and nothing more.
    However in a design that revolves around control and pvp then yes change most certainly happens and can matter.
    Where do i fall into this subject matter?Well simply being able to make change is not even close to good enough,it has to be FUN and well designed change.I do not consider pvp hardly ever fun unless the map layout is specifically designed for great pvp which 99% is not the case.

Atlas is imo the one game that HAD the "potential" to be the biggest game changer ever and with the most consequence and EVERY player had the ability to make huge changes to the world.The problem is that as i mentioned earlier,pvp and game design layout is never done right,developers are just not good enough at combining GAME play,FUN and pvp altogether in the same package.

So to this day the only way to get the best gaming experience is to just break up all the design ideas into small packages.So pvp belongs in an arena shooter format,rpg's belong in open worlds and survival games will continue to be messed up by bad developers.

This is also why we have arpg's,moba's,BR's all of them are very shallow simple ideas but they work because that is the ONLY thing they do.If any of those games try to become something different they will fail.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    In lineage 2, on the Hindemith server, if people didn't like the clan that held a particular castle, the server would rise up and "remove them."

This was true for the first few chronicles of the game.

That's one of the things I liked about the game, it was more about the players.
    YumeTsukai
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited September 2020
    Yes. My guild built a city in original SWG. We scouted out where to put it. We designed it and named it. We put in all the buildings. It was our mark on the world and we welcomed visitors. 

My house was on a hill overlooking a pond. 
    xpsynclotrloreMendel[Deleted User]Scot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Yes. My guild built a city in original SWG. We scouted out where to put it. We designed it and named it. We put in all the buildings. It was our mark on the world and we welcomed visitors. 

My house was on a hill overlooking a pond. 

I forgot all about that, i did too, from scratch just a patch of land, ffs forgot all about that, thx for the reminder!
    Amathe

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Besides some non-instanced housing as it was mentioned above, I can't really think on anything.

But ofc I mostly play themeparks (and story-heavy ones on top of that), world changing actions seems like a sandbox thing to me. I prefer when the world is in the hands of the lead writer...

Since I just bumped a Defiance thread, that could've been something like that by the original plans, the players actions affecting the story, even in the show. Sadly it remained mostly an unfulfilled promise... there was a big event during the break between the show's season 1 and 2, but it affected nothing as I remember.

If out-of-game actions count as well, I'd say CO's sub removal. While it wasn't a single effort, many players have raised their voice, Cryptic did put a delay on the remove and revised the update during the time.
    It really felt as the titular "actions changed my MMOs world", though not in-game world, and not even changed for the better - just softened up the inescapable punch.
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited September 2020
    Sadly, not my actions, but when some guilds figured out how to dupe gold, rare item bonuses, raid items (and trade bind on pickup), and exploit pvp xp...  devs were late to the party and did zip about it.

Yeah. That dramaticly changed the world in a owpvp game.  For a while.
  • toxicmangotoxicmango Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Being involved in CCP games getting caught cheating against their paying customers
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Nope

None of the games I've played have allowed anything like this, its just not built into the code to allow the players that type of freedom.

Closest I get would be SWG with it's player cities, but I was pretty casual and just joined a guild which already had a city, so it's not like i made much difference. I'd like to think that my involvement with my server community in LotRO made some difference, but not to the game world, just to the community.
  • MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    There was a big inventory dupe in Vanguard on my server at one time and me a a friend noticed it first...as crafters we knew the market and a sudden increase in rares/ultra rares was suspicious. We then managed to replicate dupe and inform devs how they were doing it.

I was also the only crafter on my server who worked out how to put crit chance on leather legs and it made me very very rich lol. Made lots of friends that way and if people contacted me directly i would charge reasonably. Got invited to raids and dungeons all the time because of those connections.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Yes.. and I got banned from their official forums for it.. 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    Shard Vigil Memorial
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    edited September 2020
    SWTOR constantly teased me with this, but it never happened(=I felt like things changed, but they actually didn't)! :(
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    There was also the Bridge Sit in, for DDO, that was fun.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• madmikethegmmadmikethegm Member UncommonPosts: 43
    While I actively played on this particular server at the time, I was not part of the awesome event itself.

Asheron's Call, Defense of the Shard, Thistledown server.

One well organized group of players on one server delayed the update for all other AC servers. Admins came into the game to try to advance the story event, and got their asses kicked. Best part, imo, the Devs didn't ban any of them for it. They made a monument in the player's honor listing the names of those that participated.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited September 2020

Uwakionna said:

Shard Vigil Memorial

Welcome to the forums! :)
    edited September 2020
    It is the nature of the baulk of MMOs that they don't allow you to change the world, I note that where I did do that it was in older MMOs. Over the course of MMO history choice has been removed, whether seen as causing too many issues or just not being needed when streamlining the gameplay, choices are a thing of the past.
  • HidesBehindShadowHidesBehindShadow Member UncommonPosts: 41

Nope

None of the games I've played have allowed anything like this, its just not built into the code to allow the players that type of freedom.

Closest I get would be SWG with it's player cities, but I was pretty casual and just joined a guild which already had a city, so it's not like i made much difference. I'd like to think that my involvement with my server community in LotRO made some difference, but not to the game world, just to the community.

Has to be Wurm Online which tops all mmo in this regard. Lotro was great for story but that's nothing like what Wurm has to offer.
  • HidesBehindShadowHidesBehindShadow Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Scot said:
    It is the nature of the baulk of MMOs that they don't allow you to change the world, I note that where I did do that it was in older MMOs. Over the course of MMO history choice has been removed, whether seen as causing too many issues or just not being needed when streamlining the gameplay, choices are a thing of the past.
    Nah, choices are alive and kicking in Wurm Online. If people want choices then it is through older mmo's.

Wurm Online

A Tail In The Desert 

Ryzon

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Twas a Dark stormy night, I creap silently through the jungle to the Giant Rancor and forced my mind and its mind into one, then a second time. The 3 of us went on to change the face of the planet. A master doc and creature handler and 1/2 ranger. We would go on to take over a large area of the planet and build a large town. My wife wanted to be the mayor of the city we had made and so 13 accounts later and over 150 a month we made it happen. Each player house had a vote lol.

Star Wars Galixes Was so far ahead of their time 33 clases and you could be 2 and 1/2 of any combonation. Housing Dragon hunting space ship dog fighting.
    Ungood
    Scot said:
    Nah, choices are alive and kicking in Wurm Online. If people want choices then it is through older mmo's.

Wurm Online

A Tail In The Desert 

Ryzon

Welcome to the forums! :)

Well Wurm is not exactly new is it? This is what I was saying, you only find choice in older MMOs. TitD and Ryzon are both good examples as well.