Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

”New World could well become the new gold standard for MMO combat"

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2020
    Question

Can you use the water in combat,are there any properties used when in water,like physics and does Fire not work in water,does magic get stifled in water.So if i wanted to escape a magic caster could i jump under water?

Can magic be interrupted?

Does magic have any AOE properties?

How does healing work if players are moving around?Like a player constantly strafing and doing somersaults would seem to be near impossible to target.Can you even heal other players?

These are just a FEW topics that revolve around combat being "good" or not.How about TYPES of magic or TYPES of weapons?Does armor have various properties like perhaps fire or water resistant maybe immune to lightning?Perhaps some armor is better versus Blunt than it is versus slashing or piercing.

Do weapons have properties slicing,slashing,blunt and used in various situations?

I could list MANY more ideas that go into making a well rounded combat system.I somehow get the feeling this game has over rated combat and is actually just a simple design.

The problem i have arguing the point is i am not about to pay Amazon to determine if the combat is good or not.Give me a free trial and then i will know otherwise it appears to me to be bland and boring.
    Gdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Maybe someone else's gold standard. Not mine. I hate twitch games.

dragonlee66Mendel

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Reading on steam forums I got to the conclusion that people having troubles blocking etc and people saying combat is spammy are the same

I don't spam LMB and I never had problems

[Deleted User]GdemamiYashaX
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sovrath said:
    cheyane said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    cheyane said:
    Alright I cannot play then. good to know thanks. These types of games are too hard for me.
    I wouldn't say that without giving it a try! The combat is not super fast paced and there aren't a lot of keys you need to pay attention throughout the fights.
    Can't aim for shit. Any game that requires precision and action combat is definitely beyond this old lady.
    you better be 60 or over or you're not old!  B)
    Err....  :#
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    cheyane said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    cheyane said:
    Alright I cannot play then. good to know thanks. These types of games are too hard for me.
    I wouldn't say that without giving it a try! The combat is not super fast paced and there aren't a lot of keys you need to pay attention throughout the fights.
    Can't aim for shit. Any game that requires precision and action combat is definitely beyond this old lady.
    you better be 60 or over or you're not old!  B)
    Err....  :#
    That's kinda how I looked that that.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Amathe said:

You can also stream it on youtube, facebook, and other places if you don't like twitch... =P
    You do realise that one day that will be our future? Unless they work out a way for a game to be controlled by thought I doubt many of us will be playing in our 90's. :)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:

You can also stream it on youtube, facebook, and other places if you don't like twitch... =P
    You do realise that one day that will be our future? Unless they work out a way for a game to be controlled by thought I doubt many of us will be playing in our 90's. :)
    Shhhhhhssssh you, it's far closer for some of us than others.
    Mendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jhengjheng Newbie CommonPosts: 6
    New standard for MMO? Can New World really success? that's is my review.

https://youtu.be/0-QDNGXiaGQ

edited September 2020
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:

I am almost 52 and I have been seeing signs that my reflexes aren't what they used to be.

Even if the industry ends up using this kind of combat more, I am pretty sure tab targeting isn't going away any time soon

tab targeting or action combat will live together in different products for different (but overlapping) audiences

Having said that I found NW combat easier than other games where you have to keep firing specials, often from two full hotbars
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited September 2020
    NW has promise but we have yet to see if Amazon can deliver on what needs to be done. More PvE content, tweak to the crafting, etc.
    [Deleted User]

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    muthax said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:

I am almost 52 and I have been seeing signs that my reflexes aren't what they used to be.

Even if the industry ends up using this kind of combat more, I am pretty sure tab targeting isn't going away any time soon

tab targeting or action combat will live together in different products for different (but overlapping) audiences

Having said that I found NW combat easier than other games where you have to keep firing specials, often from two full hotbars
    I am 52 this year, and I am also finding that my response time is not what it used to be.  I have found that I can train up my response time, and in doing so, I can speed it up by 20-30ms. However, I also dont have the endurance to maintain this level of high speed activity that I used too either. When I was younger I could maintain a 180ms response time for almost 10 minutes, but now I can only do 220ms or so for 3+ min, and then drop to a range of 260-280.

Age does catch up to us all eventually, and we have to adapt how we act to account for this. I tend to play in burst of activity, that allow me to plan ahead and maximize my effectiveness. 
    [Deleted User]
  • RedsaltRedsalt Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I don't know if it will become the gold standard, but it is something different.

I played the preview weekend and I like the action combat in this game because it is slowed down. I normally do not like action combat in a mmo , but their take on it I like.

I did a lot of the same things that I do in EQ, grind mobs for loot, etc.  I did the main quest lines for the portal closeing tool and then switched to crafting stuff and working on upgrade missions.  I found that if I needed more challange it was just a matter of going to the higher level areas.

I am hopeing that they will add more content at the higher levels before and beyond release, assuming that the game is released. 

Redsalt... the other salt.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited September 2020
    I sense people here have more HOPE for New Wolrd lately. It's good to hear!  That short New World event must have impressed some people out there!  Kudos to us!
    [Deleted User]

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Redsalt said:
    I don't know if it will become the gold standard, but it is something different.

I played the preview weekend and I like the action combat in this game because it is slowed down. I normally do not like action combat in a mmo , but their take on it I like.

I did a lot of the same things that I do in EQ, grind mobs for loot, etc.  I did the main quest lines for the portal closeing tool and then switched to crafting stuff and working on upgrade missions.  I found that if I needed more challange it was just a matter of going to the higher level areas.

I am hopeing that they will add more content at the higher levels before and beyond release, assuming that the game is released. 

I prefer slower content because it CAN offer better overall action/reaction type decisions.However this game at least what i have seen is nothing more than EASY combat.
    I watched popular streamers who obviously are smart enough to dodge and avoid/block but all they do is just stand n trade even though the npc might block their attacks they don't care because it is too easy.

This topic does go all over the place,it is very easy for a dev to make combat more difficult but i want more decision making,having to use choice rather than block hit move block hit move block hit move or just whack at each other until the npc dies.

I could draw up examples but really any dev with any kind of creativity should be able to figure it out and create a very exciting game.

As is nothing more than levels,kill something to gain levels,do a quest,harvest nodes that stick out like a sore thumb,run all excited for glowing lights coming off loot,yeah this game is doing very little different or unique,pretty much same old same old.

As i expected in this post>>>"i hope they add more high level content"you see a RACE,same old design time after time no Cyndi Lauper pun intended.Everything these players are doing wil be pointless,this game will end up nothing more than an END game grind of some sort,poor job there Amazon studios.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

botrytis said:
    NW has promise but we have yet to see if Amazon can deliver on what needs to be done. More PvE content, tweak to the crafting, etc.
    Except at what point does Amazon address their game?Like what if the majority are already at end level?So then the entire point of the game has been lost,all the players will be crying  for more end game or crying the game doesn't have any end game.

There shouldn't be an end game,this should operate like an ever evolving world,old zones should remain relevant for years to come and not be bypassed like they had no meaning in the game at all.

Then what TYPE of content,instance content?I seriously do not feel Amazon has the ability to get this right because imo they already blew it.
    BruceYee

If they want to Beta test ,you do that when the game  is complete in it;'s actual playable state.Then after a week of testing you decide if a release date can be announced or if further bug fixing needs to be addressed.
    Furthermore you sell NOTHING and you WIPE everything.If you want players to BETA test then they do it because they want to help and NOT to promote pre orders.

edited September 2020
    Wizardry said:
    botrytis said:
    Except at what point does Amazon address their game?Like what if the majority are already at end level?So then the entire point of the game has been lost,all the players will be crying  for more end game or crying the game doesn't have any end game.

There shouldn't be an end game,this should operate like an ever evolving world,old zones should remain relevant for years to come and not be bypassed like they had no meaning in the game at all.

Then what TYPE of content,instance content?I seriously do not feel Amazon has the ability to get this right because imo they already blew it.
    Well, remember every Beta you start out fresh. I don't get why people rush to the end and whine and bitch about nothing to do. it is the journey that is the best part. The majority have not already leveled to max.

Let Amazon make the game and see. Why PRE-JUDGE? They have shown they are at least listening to the players and are working on things, like the OP Hatchet.

If you don't like it don't play....
    Post edited by botrytis on
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]muthax

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    MMORPGs are not the same as playing a session of Unreal Tournament or even a single player FPS. It requires one to play longer hours and that will take a toll on you when you have to repeatedly use action combat while you play. I can do it for 30 minutes at most before I get tired and have to stop.

I am really unable to gauge what the popular masses enjoy in an MMORPG and whether they will embrace action combat and its stress inducing levels of concentration. I can only speak for myself. I am sure there is a huge market for it and I'm glad New World is going to fill that.
    muthaxMendel
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    MMORPGs are not the same as playing a session of Unreal Tournament or even a single player FPS. It requires one to play longer hours and that will take a toll on you when you have to repeatedly use action combat while you play. I can do it for 30 minutes at most before I get tired and have to stop.

I am really unable to gauge what the popular masses enjoy in an MMORPG and whether they will embrace action combat and its stress inducing levels of concentration. I can only speak for myself. I am sure there is a huge market for it and I'm glad New World is going to fill that.

UT and other FPS are actually harder because of the 'Twitch' dynamics. NW was not like that. I don't have time to play for hours on end. I work, have a family, (I am almost 60 BTW), etc. That is why many MMO's are nice. You don't have to play constantly and can pick up where you left off.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    cheyane said:

You should really give it an attempt before putting it in the same league of other action mmorpgs (like for example BDO) because it's not. Even tough it's action combat, it's not super fast action non stop. Additionally, even tough there isn't explicit keybinds for controllers, I could fight with a controller with no issues apart of incredibly slow camera rotation so there could be support coming in the future.
    botrytismuthax

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    This is why I really don't want companies like Amazon involved in gaming....We have seen Blizzard do teh same thing....Pay enough people/companies to say your game is great and soon the sheep will believe it.
    GdemamiMendel
    Bloodaxes said:
    cheyane said:

You should really give it an attempt before putting it in the same league of other action mmorpgs (like for example BDO) because it's not. Even tough it's action combat, it's not super fast action non stop. Additionally, even tough there isn't explicit keybinds for controllers, I could fight with a controller with no issues apart of incredibly slow camera rotation so there could be support coming in the future.
    They said controller support is in the works.

I tried my xbox gamepad through steam config and it worked fine, but I am too old to hit something at ranged with the sticks, especially if the bugger isn't staying put or runningg straight like they do in other MMOs
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    Dont you mean sheeople :D

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    edited September 2020
    Y'all might want to be careful. I received a warning for using that word when referring to people.

• MacpeteoMacpeteo Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    Y'all might want to be careful. I received a warning for using that word when referring to people.

The sheeople are buying this Orwellian mind control, that's the sad part, uneducated, ignorant sheeople are the bane of the World. Long live the revolution (right?!)