Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is New World a real MMORPG?

Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855
I haven’t played an MMO really since SWG died back in 2005. For me the genre has been missing the massive part, and they’ve just been online RPGs. All of a sudden this new MMORPG is being advertised everywhere, is it really massive or another small instanced WoW wannabe? 
GdemamiMikeha

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The RPG has been removed like with so many MMO's today, as to the massively others will have to answer that for you.

I would wait until any game had launched before buying into it, so as always wait for the reviews.
    GdemamixpsyncAlBQuirky
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    What is massive is the size of the company putting it out. 

As for in game massiveness, I have seen rumors of about 600-1000 players per server. 
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    I played and enjoyed SWG too but there is nothing “small” about WoW. Yes, New World is heavily populated right now and certainly is an MMO.
    bcbully
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Much like most MMOs these days, it will be what most people consider "massive" for the first month and then it will die off.  There's not enough players to support another mega MMO without cannibalizing other games.  As most devs find out, getting people to give up their time spent in other games is a big ask...and the more time that passes, the bigger the ask it becomes.
    Dibdabs
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    edited August 2020
    Its a massive game with instanced not so massive endgame.
    Just imagine queuing into a city defense just to be not one of the chosen 40 people so you cannot psrticipate at all.

My proposal of having shadow instances of wars or defenses so at least everyone can participate even if those shadow instances do not count towards the result where ignored so far

It also lacks, as already said, a direction as the faction part does not really has a purpose.
    And my proposal to have chosing a faction activating PvP and having the possibility to stay factionless for PvE only was also ignored.

In the end its a PvE game with no good PvE content and a PvP game with no real PvP content
    RexKushmanGdemamiKyleranbcbully

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Yeah, I think it qualifies more than games like SWTOR (where zones are so instanced you may only run into 20 or so players). 

Will it be good?  I hope so, but they need to add a lot imo.
    Gdemamibcbully
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I haven’t played an MMO really since SWG died back in 2005. For me the genre has been missing the massive part, and they’ve just been online RPGs. All of a sudden this new MMORPG is being advertised everywhere, is it really massive or another small instanced WoW wannabe? 

It is massively multiplayer - it supports 500+ players within the same virtual environment (the world).

Roleplaying....not really. The different weapons do offer slightly different combat roles, but as everyone can use any weapon, you're not really playing a role. There is also crafting, running a company etc. So, there are roles, but they're not very deep or well thought out.

It's definitely not a WoW wannabe. It's a really different design philosophy to WoW and other themeparks. It's more like a large-scale survival game, except the survival aspects are less important and the combat aspects are increased. What the final game will be like is anyone's guess, they've changed their minds quite a few times already.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkykjempff
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

It is massively multiplayer - it supports 500+ players within the same virtual environment (the world).

Roleplaying....not really. The different weapons do offer slightly different combat roles, but as everyone can use any weapon, you're not really playing a role. There is also crafting, running a company etc. So, there are roles, but they're not very deep or well thought out.

It's definitely not a WoW wannabe. It's a really different design philosophy to WoW and other themeparks. It's more like a large-scale survival game, except the survival aspects are less important and the combat aspects are increased. What the final game will be like is anyone's guess, they've changed their minds quite a few times already.
    Its survival roots are still there in the gathering and crafting though. That's probably the deepest and most fleshed out part of the game.

It has a long way to go in other areas but crafters should be pretty happy.
    YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Iselin said:

Its survival roots are still there in the gathering and crafting though. That's probably the deepest and most fleshed out part of the game.

It has a long way to go in other areas but crafters should be pretty happy.
    No because of several reasons.
    1. Drop items being as good if even better than the crafted ones.
    2. Extreme RNG in endgame crafting paired with the need to grind Azoth (PvEing)
    3. No item decay leading to a demand drop after everyone has top tier weapons
    4. No personal trade
    5. Very few different skins
    bcbully[Deleted User]

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Ok looks like I can ignore it
    bcbully
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

This is the wrong forum to ask for advice on whether to play an mmo. You are most likely either going to get people telling you the game sucks or people trying to convince you that some indie kickstarter in "alpha-5+" is the next best thing.

As to your OP, yes it is an mmorpg. And yes it really is massive, with very little instancing compared to WoW.
    bcbully[Deleted User][Deleted User]Jemcrystal
  • muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Actually, it is very like SWG pre NGE, very sandboxy and the PVE is an afterthgought to get drops or matertials and level your toon. Crafting is important as you can craft even furniture for your home (yeah it's got housing). 

As someone said, avoid asking opinions on a new MMO here, it's pointless
    Have a look at some streams, I think you might like it
    bcbully
  • muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Oh and you can climb over rocks till getting up a mountain!
    bcbully
    I don't get why people, with a broad brush, devalue opinions around here... a lot of people who have played and tested mmorpgs for decades.

Use your discernment when reading such opinions, whether pro or con.  You'll find a few posters that generally share your preferred game tastes, so they may be more helpful to you specifically.
    [Deleted User]SovrathAlBQuirkykjempff
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864

Roleplaying....not really. The different weapons do offer slightly different combat roles, but as everyone can use any weapon, you're not really playing a role.

Having a defined weapon does not define a "role" or by extension "roleplaying" which means to impersonate a fictional character. It may however define a role within a group of players depending on the game. But a role within a group as a player (like a class, or a trinity role) is not the same as playing a role in-character, which is roleplaying.
    Mendel
    edited August 2020
    How robust are the emotes?  I know it sounds silly, but good emotes add a nice bit of spice to the games I enjoy.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I just found out New World may not have jumping. If so, definitely not a "real" MMORPG, at least not one I'd ever be willing to play.
    YashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Great game if you like grinding quest and mobs 98% of each week. Well you gotta be lucking to get in on that other 2%...
    YashaX
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    It’s a shitty survival game with tacked on pve content. It’s not an RPG. It is an mmo tho. 
    Its a PVE survival game with no PVE. I mean all their mechanics still predate back to the full loot pvp anywhere tiered gear system. So they are forcing a pve game into a game that has its whole foundation built on pvp with full loot.

MurderHerd

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    folks can we be honest with ourselves for once?

New World is a Game Engine Tech Demo that AGS is trying to market to developers. 

Thats why the game is so lacking and feels so copy/pasted. Its showing off the details of the game engine. 

But I will say this. I would be interested in ESO in this new game engine. 
    muthaxGdemamiDibdabs

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    My two cents. Allot of MMOs have been thinking less and less about the RPG side of their MMOs. How many emotes are there?Can you sit in chairs? How many dances are there? Do you have enough of these things to do a Machinima? Can people really role play in your MMO? I get that's not everyone's view of an RPG. Most see it as a level progression system but that's not what RPG roots came from. 

Myself I am an old school PnP and got into EQ to role play in a world I could see. The RP community was strong back then. RPing in your group happened often. Do it now and people mostly get annoyed. How is NW with this? Have they added any RP elements to the game? 
    MendelGdemamiAlBQuirky
  • stevejones1981stevejones1981 Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    MMORPG is attracting many players. It's expanding fast these days, when I walk around the streets I see people discussing these games.
    [Deleted User]
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    "You’ll probably be murdered in New World. So, yes, players will be able to freely kill other players"

Does this really appeal to anyone other than the most demented of people?
    [Deleted User]GdemamibcbullyAlBQuirky
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Lonesols said:
    remsleep said:
    "You’ll probably be murdered in New World. So, yes, players will be able to freely kill other players"

Does this really appeal to anyone other than the most demented of people?

Appeals to guild PvP players a lot.

Doesn't appeal to solo PvE players which you probably are.

Just because someone has a different playstyle it doesn't make them demented.

Maybe one day we won't be so quick to dismiss others solely based on a different game preference 

Most open world pvp people in mmos are demented, want me to pull up the screen shots of mortal online people naked with thier balls out squating on peoples faces they killed? That not enough for you i can pull up the ulitma online ones, where the surrounded me killed me, and tried to convince me that if I didn't pay them money they wouldn't let me resurrect. Just take a gander at eve online and the foul garbage they do to each other. Open world pvp players by far and large are demented end of story. 

If your idea was true then in all those games the majority would be running anti pk guilds to hunt down demented people, that never happens ever at all no where. 

I remeber uncharted waters online, there were 80 plus demented freaks that enjoyed killing new players for no reason. Guess how many bounty hunters there were ? 2 me and another guy. 

Here's why if you don't know. They log in a group of demented people kill them, and they usually join them doing the same things. Rarely ever does some one go im gonna hunt all these scum bags down and make sure they won't kill another new player. 

Dont even get me started on the demented guild people in mortal online. I remember I joined a guild and these demented people wanted me to sit all day in thier voice chat and listen to them whine. When I told them listen I dont want to hear your problems, I want to play mortal if you need me for something to do with the game let me know. They grew angry killed me over and over till I quit. 

You don't even need to have pvp to have demented guild people, go take a look at everquest p1999 and the nasty demented garbage those people do and come up with. By and large when people get into big groups they become demented, 1000s times more when the game is open world and encourage you to be foul.

I would compare mmorpg open world pvp guilds to joing a cult 100 percent almost identical. That's not even getting into the real demented people that physically hunt people down in real life due to mmorpgs. 

If ulitma online kept its full loot pvp stance, it would of closed down way back in early 2000s.
    We have another one! Lmfao traumatized by dying in UO (a game) 20 years ago  :D
    [Deleted User]Iselincameltosis
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Lonesols said:

You are just being delusional and hypocritical saying that they aren't all deranged. 
    The thing is, pve is also a "hive of scum and villainy" but because it's not directly against other players, most people don't notice.

I'm not going to say pvp games are mostly good people with a few people with serious issues, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "most."

Same with pve, I've run across some real a## holes in pve games. I could very well say "most pve players are etc, etc" but I wouldn't do that.

pve players cheat as well. And try to mess with other players, cheat other players.

Bad people are bad people. Luckily you can avoid a good many in a pve game but they are there and they will cause you issues if they can.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo