Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey - New Dev Diary Teases Planet Exploration on Foot

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2020 in Videos Discussion

imageElite Dangerous: Odyssey - New Dev Diary Teases Planet Exploration on Foot

Developer Frontier Developments has released a video with some details regarding planet exploration. In Elite Dangerous: Odyssey, players will be able to get out of their vehicles and explore planets with a diverse set of atmospheres.

Read the full story here

Comments

• foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    Woo finally!
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Hmm this game looks pretty good. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,267
    I hope they make this VR capable soon.
  • RedFireCERedFireCE Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Star Citizen is officially the biggest joke in gaming history. Congratulations to everyone who contributed!
    Babuinix
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    edited August 2020
    RedFireCE said:
    Star Citizen is officially the biggest joke in gaming history. Congratulations to everyone who contributed!

Nah that spot is reserved for asian mobile games.

And since you had to bring Star Citizen into this news thread, I'll just add that walking on planets (with different kinds of atmospheres and multiple biomes) has been in a thing in Star Citizen for a couple of years now :D
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    Gdemamiultimateduck
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Babuinix said:
    RedFireCE said:

Nah that spot is reserved for asian mobile games.

And since you had to bring Star Citizen into this news thread, I'll just add that walking on planets (with different kinds of atmospheres and multiple biomes) has been in a thing in Star Citizen for a couple of years now :D

No first is Duke Nukem Forever - 2nd is SC. If SC doesn't put out a game in the next year, they will beat DNF, they already have them beat for money raised for a non-game.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    edited August 2020
    botrytis said:
    No first is Duke Nukem Forever - 2nd is SC. If SC doesn't put out a game in the next year, they will beat DNF, they already have them beat for money raised for a non-game.
    Star Citizen has had a playable build since 2013 which has been updated constantly along the years and it doesn't need the approval of anyone besides of it's backers B)

Gdemami
  • NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    edited August 2020
    Ya'll really know how to derail a post.....
    [Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited August 2020
    So an empty world surface is something to get excited about............

I would get more excited if someone showed up at my front door with a pizza and a couple Monster Energy drinks.
    I don't need more half assed gaming,i need actual game development,don't half ass shit,either do it right or don't bother.

Now if they plan on populating that surface/s with assets/life and this is just an early implementation,then sure fair enough but i want to hear that there is more to this than just ...this.

"Atmospheres"Yeah it's called zone properties,been around gaming for 30+ years already.So depending on how their tools/menus coding is already designed,they could simply place a check mark for zone property=zero gravity or whatever else their menu has it called.That would take all of 5 seconds to implement.If they are just adding in a newgravitational property xyz to their zone properties ,again hours to implement.

So they make this video to try and act like this is some amazing breakthrough ,well it's not.
    Gdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It would take a bit of work if there were a lot of separation on the planet ,meaning different properties all over the place,perhaps even temperature and climate effects,particle effects.Instead this could simply be one giant zone property covering the entire surface.

You could have areas of snow ,radiation,extreme heat,some kind of water zone within or a different dangerous chemical other than water ,perhaps acid pools etc etc,lava pools.

I am just tossing out simple ideas that many a game have already done over the years,you know put some EFFORT into your implementation of ideas.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    It would take a bit of work if there were a lot of separation on the planet ,meaning different properties all over the place,perhaps even temperature and climate effects,particle effects.Instead this could simply be one giant zone property covering the entire surface.

You could have areas of snow ,radiation,extreme heat,some kind of water zone within or a different dangerous chemical other than water ,perhaps acid pools etc etc,lava pools.

I am just tossing out simple ideas that many a game have already done over the years,you know put some EFFORT into your implementation of ideas.

I'm pretty sure each planet does have resources and people can build on them. I'm not sure what else you're looking for. As easy as you make it seem, it's something Eve hasn't been able to do even though many people have wanted it.

I think this is a good step. I look forward to it when they make it VR capable.

tzervo said:
    Wizardry said:

I'm pretty sure each planet does have resources and people can build on them. I'm not sure what else you're looking for. As easy as you make it seem, it's something Eve hasn't been able to do even though many people have wanted it.

I think this is a good step. I look forward to it when they make it VR capable.

They clarified that building would not be available in this release.

But resources still exist. There's a reason to go there other than just going there. Building on them is coming. I don't see why you take issue with this.
  • enesisxlr8enesisxlr8 Member UncommonPosts: 163

Wizardry said:

So an empty world surface is something to get excited about............

I would get more excited if someone showed up at my front door with a pizza and a couple Monster Energy drinks.
    I don't need more half assed gaming,i need actual game development,don't half ass shit,either do it right or don't bother.

Now if they plan on populating that surface/s with assets/life and this is just an early implementation,then sure fair enough but i want to hear that there is more to this than just ...this.

"Atmospheres"Yeah it's called zone properties,been around gaming for 30+ years already.So depending on how their tools/menus coding is already designed,they could simply place a check mark for zone property=zero gravity or whatever else their menu has it called.That would take all of 5 seconds to implement.If they are just adding in a newgravitational property xyz to their zone properties ,again hours to implement.

So they make this video to try and act like this is some amazing breakthrough ,well it's not.

totally agree, will get boring very fast and you are then left with the same thing all over again... Game could of been amazing with thargoids and space combat, mother ships, hotzones with thargoids ! who knows!?? but nope.. you get to walk around..
    [Deleted User]
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2020
    As easy as you make it seem, it's something Eve hasn't been able to do even though many people have wanted it.
    1) everything seems easy when you have no clue what it takes...

2) it isn't a question of technology but design - not how to do it but why?

How would EVE benefit from leg content?

Coming up with meaningful leg content within primarily a spaceship game is much more difficult than you think.

Case in point ED's surface content and EVE's captain quarters - only a waste of resources.
    [Deleted User]
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2020
    tzervo said:
    Those playing E:D right now are satisfied enough to keep playing it and support it. 
    ...are they?

Looking at the google searches, forums and youtube, there is very little(proportionally) traffic regarding surface content.

Like with any content, you want your content to be used by as many players as you can while costing you as little as possible.

In that regard, more you deviate from your core gameplay, more it will require of new technology and assets as well as more limited your audience will likely be. It is inefficient.

On top of that, wider you go with your development, harder it will be to keep it updated - your development is too spread.

EVE is a great example of that. CCP is notorious for not finishing new features, leaving most expansions half-assed and never itterate on them.

Players might complain about it but it is the best development wise - new content drive sales(2 expansions per year), expands your core gameplay all while keeping development at fast pace and sensible development cost.

EVE playerbase wants leg content as much as any other spaceship game - SC, ED, X4, w/e , but with other projects that shared tech for walking in stations being dropped and not much idea for actual station content, the development was simply for CCP too expensive to keep it going.

The key here is opportunity cost - for the same money, you could develop something with more return.
    [Deleted User]ultimateduck
    Gdemami said:
    As easy as you make it seem, it's something Eve hasn't been able to do even though many people have wanted it.
    1) everything seems easy when you have no clue what it takes...

2) it isn't a question of technology but design - not how to do it but why?

How would EVE benefit from leg content?

Coming up with meaningful leg content within primarily a spaceship game is much more difficult than you think.

Case in point ED's surface content and EVE's captain quarters - only a waste of resources.

I never said it was easy. I said it may seem easy but if it was, Eve would have done it.

This looks like step on of a larger idea. From what I understand, you will be able to build on the surface and gather resource and the resources will be available on launch.

From a person that plays this game with an HMD, it provides something Eve can't... I get to actually sit in and pilot my ship with controls, not mouse clicking on a spreadsheet. They just need to figure out how to add the out of ship content to VR users. If it's done right, they will get a lot more users very quickly.
  • McFearMcFear Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Well, lets see... The players in this field are:
    1) No Mans Sky - who have a secret new "ambitious" project after finally surpassing their original promise.
    2) Dual Universe - who have an in depth crafting system on a similar theme with a small start of a universe.
    3) What's that other one where you can spend your life savings to get one of a thousand ships and fly it from one of 3 locations? Ah, I can't remember, but that one has lots of money behind it.
    4) I'm thinking, I'm thinking.... Hmm, anyway... This one seems to be the most playable in an MMO sense and seems to be ahead of the rest in development. The main difference is that they don't promise anything until they're almost done it. I am interested to see what this next No Mans Sky project is all about though.