Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I've seen so far

xD_GamingxD_Gaming Member EpicPosts: 2,739
1. character creator limit. Not a fan, as someone who likes to make characters and get them just right for my adventure it is a hamstring and a very poor way to handle gold sellers. I've personally never heard of such a mechanic. I'm kind of stuck at playing a character I don't really want to advance or playing something else. 

2. Game runs great as it should since it is 10 years old.

3. Everyone is on discord, how do I know, chat is comepletely dead.

4. waiting ten levels to add another professional, meh. 

5. pretty solid player base, good many people buzzing around. 

So far, I like what I'm seeing. The start is really slow and that gives me too much time to say " I don't like his skin color, im a reroll" which is all the time for me. Be it the name, the eyes , lips its butt who knows, I want to beable to instantly reroll and not wait for a full day.

Trying to get going is almost like watching paint dry, it is tediously slow and really so far, the worst part of my experience atm. 
There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
Twitter : @xD_Gaming_Merch
xD Merch : https://bit.ly/2v13MT8
"Dragons are tilly folly !"

Comments

• xD_GamingxD_Gaming Member EpicPosts: 2,739
    The smell of coffee kicks in and I will just make a new account, which side steps their uninspiring bot deterrent, as I'm sure the china bot does exactly what I'm doing now. #rip #xD 
    edited August 15
    SO I was able to make a new character,decided to wait and use the same account. The difference between starting in the tower city and the Forest is night and day. 

Rolled a cat dude archer, and the gameplay immediatly become much more enjoyable. The elven race is so stiff and run funny, but the cat people are a lot more fliud and I would assume that is how they designed them.

The forest, I'm getting slight goosebumps of Vanguard visuals, beautiful texturing and the most optimized mmo experience I've ever had. 

It does remind me a lot of Vanguard and what could of been. Vanguard's biggest draw though was non-instanced content. So I would say FFO is like Vanguard, but with instances or "closed Zones". 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,752
    xD_Gaming said:
    1. character creator limit. Not a fan, as someone who likes to make characters and get them just right for my adventure it is a hamstring and a very poor way to handle gold sellers. I've personally never heard of such a mechanic. I'm kind of stuck at playing a character I don't really want to advance or playing something else. 

So far, I like what I'm seeing. The start is really slow and that gives me too much time to say " I don't like his skin color, im a reroll" which is all the time for me. Be it the name, the eyes , lips its butt who knows, I want to beable to instantly reroll and not wait for a full day.

Trying to get going is almost like watching paint dry, it is tediously slow and really so far, the worst part of my experience atm. 

I do that. I levelled a character in Elder Scrolls Online to early 40's at the start of the game and deleted it as I couldn't stand the look anymore.

I think because you can play multiple classes on one character they limit it to one unless you buy more slots or some such thing. I remember it being more money per month at one point to have more characters.

xD_Gaming
    That Vanguard texture style  <3 it !

blueturtle13
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,390
    edited August 15
    I seem to stumble in so many threads you make haha. 

With the new trial system, I was considering coming back to the game with a new account. My old one had many of the classes maxed out (level wise) but I'd be like a fish out of the bowl with all the changes. Especially having to re-familiarise with all the abilities again.
    xD_Gaming

Bloodaxes said:
    I seem to stumble in so many threads you make haha. 

With the new trial system, I was considering coming back to the game with a new account. My old one had many of the classes maxed out (level wise) but I'd be like a fish out of the bowl with all the changes. Especially having to re-familiarise with all the abilities again.
    It doesn't feel to over whelming. I just got into the Guildhest Duties which are neat side quests . The game is doing a really good job of easing me into its content. 

I never had this game on my radar at all, simply becaus eof the weirdness of the content, but after so many years of playing mmos, this seems very tame now. Tera has puffy clouds puking rainbows, I dont think it can get any weirder then that or Tera's poopie hats lol. 

FFO is exactly how mmo developers should look at maintaining content and longevity of an mmo with the ability to "remaster" the graphics much like BDO and FFO. I logged into LotRO the other day and was blown away about the continued whittling of textures. 

MOO's imho are still viable if the right people are at the helm, and apparently FFO have the right people !
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,924
    edited August 17
    It gets better. I played the trial off and on for two years until they gave away the base game for free and then HSW. One day I figured why not sub for a month and see how I like it. I  changed classes to Archer, and by the time I unlocked Bard I was hooked. Then grabbed the rest of the expansions on sale. That was about 7 months ago. Now I've leveled all DoLs and almost finished all DoH, finished all the MSQ up to this most recent one, and still there is tons of features I'm still finding to unlock.

It can get a bit overwhelming because some days I'm ADHD and don't know what I want to work on next. Been working on Squad missions, beast tribes ect. Still lots to do.

If you plan on staying and don't mind the sub now is good time to purchase the game while it's on sale, or wait till winter. This honestly is one of the few games I feel is worth the sub price. I also did something I never thought I would do in any game and found myself purchasing emotes lol. I also payed for an extra retainer which you can use to store stuff on like a mule and they sell on the market. You set a class and send it on missions, combat or gathering. I set one as a fisher and at about level 30 they start bringing back rarer fish which as chef 30 and above you can de-synthesize and find some rare and valuable outfit items on.

As for character creation, you actually unlock more hair style options in the game, among other things. Starting out you look basic, but over time you gain more customizable options.
    xD_Gaming
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,736
    edited August 17
    When I tried FFXIV, I remember getting the first quest then deciding I'd like to explore a bit before doing it....Well the game doesn't allow you to do anything but that quest. Is it like that the entire time? Is the game that much on rails? I hated that I couldn't explore and deleted it....I tried going several directions and it would say "your quest is not in that direction" or something to that effect.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,966
    I seldom care about how my character looks,it will be covered in gear soon enough,leaving only the eyes and mouth visible lol,so yeah who cares.

I have not played in some time,over a year now but i think i understand what is going on with the limitation.

You'll never rid games of rmt and cheating.You can however make it cumbersome for RMT by being able to easily trace back and catch multiple characters.If RMT coud lsimply erase and start a new each day it would make it near impossible to trace all the gold from character to character.In the past they have removed millions in currency by tracing backwards on multiple transactions.

poster above "quest" query?I never found the game to be like that at all,i actually spent loads of time just wandering around before i did any quests.Simple reason is that i did not understand what quests were needed//important yet and which were just filler content,so i waited.

Besides i look for NEW types of content when i play,i noticed some large circles so i went to investigate,i seldom EVER want to do quests unless it feels like a real epic quest.I also remember doing the Shantotto cross games ordeal and looking into my Chocobo and how to armor it.

None the less i would not tell anyone that FFXIV is not still similar to other mmorpg's because it is but i would say that it is better than the rest...ahem except FFXI,it is better than FFXI except in character and combat design.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,924
    When I tried FFXIV, I remember getting the first quest then deciding I'd like to explore a bit before doing it....Well the game doesn't allow you to do anything but that quest. Is it like that the entire time? Is the game that much on rails? I hated that I couldn't explore and deleted it....I tried going several directions and it would say "your quest is not in that direction" or something to that effect.

Well a long time ago it was like that for the entry tutorial, not sure now. Last time I made a new character I was able to freely explore. Either way you aren't gonna wanna venture far into the wilds as a newbie lol. First 30 levels fly by anyways and at 20 in the MSQ you get a mount, which in the later expansion zones you find you really need as zones are bigger. Hell I hardly like flying across some as they take a bit when I'm in a hurry so I just TP.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,966
    if i had to rate with a score FFXIV would be #1 but ALL mmorpg's are failing the genre and badly.Sure FFXIV has some limited housing,some different types of content but quite identical to other mmorpg's like ZONE type completion stuff and instance Boss fights.

The reason mmorpg's are so far away from being better is they would have to sacrifice a HUGE amount of profit and a lot more server power to be able to operate a AAA design.
    This is how the board meeting would go...
    Ok guys we havee the manpower,the tech,the tools,the money to really make this a AAA game.

Members ask:How much will this cost us?
    Speaker: Well about 50% of our profits and we will need another 300-500 server machines to power it.
    Boards answer:NOT a CHANCE IN HELL.How about cash shops and merch ,how can we make more profits from that?

xD_Gaming

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 2,291
    Sovrath said:
    xD_Gaming said:

I do that. I levelled a character in Elder Scrolls Online to early 40's at the start of the game and deleted it as I couldn't stand the look anymore.

I think because you can play multiple classes on one character they limit it to one unless you buy more slots or some such thing. I remember it being more money per month at one point to have more characters.

One character per server for $12.99/mo or 8 characters per server for the gold standard $14.99/mo. 

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,752
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Sovrath said:
    xD_Gaming said:

One character per server for $12.99/mo or 8 characters per server for the gold standard $14.99/mo. 

I think that's a newer rate. I tried the game when its original released as well as the remake and you could't get 8 characters for $14. Or at least that wasn't my memory of it. I remember some sort of incremental for each additional character.
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 2,291
    Sovrath said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Sovrath said:
    xD_Gaming said:

I think that's a newer rate. I tried the game when its original released as well as the remake and you could't get 8 characters for $14. Or at least that wasn't my memory of it. I remember some sort of incremental for each additional character.
    Been that way since forever. Only different price was the $9.99/mo for 8 characters per server if you were a legacy player. Sucky part is I let my sub lapse and now pay the $14.99 like everyone else.

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.