Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Red's Read on Starborne

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageRed's Read on Starborne

On a whim, Red Thomas takes a look at the "MMO" space strategy game, Starborne. Red regales readers with his operatic tale of space adventure and gives a little insight into who might find the game interesting and who should probably avoid it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ChumoChumo Member UncommonPosts: 16
    You need to play the game more and have your articles proofread by people who know more about the game than you do. You don't carry credits and resources across servers and your whole concept of " spending two months building an industrial empire in one game that exists only to supply my military campaign over two months in the next game" is wrong on every level. I don't even know how you would get that impression or, more importantly, why you would put that into your article without fact-checking it by simply starting on a new server (for free) to check your "hypothesis".

The only thing that "travels" with you are (a) blueprints, which offer tiny 10% discounts on the credit price of crafting cards and (b) your research traits which are time based and apply small focused buffs to a variety of skill lines depending on what race you are playing.

I'm not here to bash the game or your opinion of it. I'm merely here to correct misinformation and to ask you to please not spew out articles without first verifying if the content is indeed accurate.
    FedayginIndahole
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    I could be wrong. Like I said, I haven't experienced that aspect of the game yet, but I'd read on purchasing the various packs and what you kept between games. It seemed to me like research, cards, and blueprints follow you to a new game. Thus, spending a game building up a stock of cards in particular, to roll into a new game would make a lot of sense to me.

If you don't keep the cards.... still feel about the same. A game focused on upgrading/researching so that you start the next in a better position still makes sense. If you know you don't keep them, then I stand corrected, but it'd read like you do.
    FedayginGdemami
  • ChumoChumo Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Cards and Credits do not carry over. The convenience from researches and blueprints are very minor and any good traits will not unlock early on the new server (min level requirements). The most important thing you carry with you to the next server is just gameplay experience and map knowledge since every server map is identical.

The P2W aspect of the game is also very hard to nail down. All cards and credit generation can be handled via in-game mechanics. Most servers will end with at least a couple completely f2p players in the top 10 influence. That being said, the greatest thing about this game, and you touched on this, is that no whale, not even 4-5 whales, can stand up to an organized alliance. The only real issue becomes when you have an entire alliance (or two) of fully p2w players, but that doesn't happen almost at all, with the result being that most serious f2p players can find themselves in coalitions that are legitimately competing for an end-game win as long as they are dedicated enough to the game's quite onerous time requirements.
    Red_ThomasIndahole
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    A really excellent article Red.
    FedayginRed_ThomasGdemamiIndahole

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• c0ntrol3rc0ntrol3r Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    The amount of blatantly incorrect information here is disappointing; for starters servers don't last 60 days, alliances contain 15-20 members depending on server, you MUST be in an alliance to win a game, and factions and NPCs are separate meaning you can't join an NPC faction. People are still learning new things about the game after 2-3 full servers being completed so I don't understand how you can pass judgement after just a few days.