Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pagan Online is Now Known as Pagan: Absent Gods

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2020 in Videos Discussion

imagePagan Online is Now Known as Pagan: Absent Gods

Pagan Online has now transition from an online game to the single player title Pagan: Absent Gods. The Devblog that announced this information explains that the reasons behind the change were due to the strain of maintaining the multiplayer servers.

Read the full story here

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Pagan: Absent Fun
    Pagan: Absent Quality
    Pagan: Absent From My Harddrive

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]enesisxlr8HuntrezzPurplePepedragonlee66
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 407
    Let's the game die in peace x.x
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Leave religion out of my games pls. If you have to have one for lore sakes, make one up. 
    alkarionlogCatibrie
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Nanfoodle said:

Leave religion out of my games pls. If you have to have one for lore sakes, make one up. 

but religion on games is so easy, you don't even need to push a reason, just say religion a hates religion b and they are killing each other ever since
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited August 2020
    Pagan. Absent. Absent. Absent.

Post edited by Amathe on

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    It's actually a smart move to salvage a dead online game.
    [Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Yea, kinda wish most other online games, even the bad ones, would do something like this instead of be gone forever.  I hear it's not cheap to do it in most cases though (probably affordable enough in Pagan Online's case at least since more of it is client side, I guess)
  • evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151

Wish they did that with Warhammer Online.
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    edited August 2020
    evolgrinz said:

Wish they did that with Warhammer Online.

Return of Reckoning is up and running strong right now. Currently 458 players online.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Man the world of gaming is full of so many oddity's.

Why would a new owner take over a failed game and declare it in maintenance mode,makes no sense?So i have a guess,this is the actual owner all along and WGN was just a publisher who was taking a large % of the profits from sales.So they lost their shirt had to let everyone go and just hope and pray that Steam can deliver enough money to kickstart development again "not happening".
    So using powerful intuition,this game is in essence DEAD,no game other than FFXIV will come back from failure and that was because no game has the longevity of the Final Fantasy franchise.

Personally,the gaming market is way too full of crappy games,way too many Indie developers.I know i heard the arguments for YEARS about how we need Indie devs,well i haven't seen gaming evolve for over 10 years now so why again do we need Indie Devs?Oh yeah to flood the market with more crap and to allow all the third party peripheral businesses an opportunity to profit from them.
    niceguy3978

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    The game itself wasn't that bad. It was the choices that the devs made that hurt the game more than anything. At first unlocking characters was a horrible chore. If you picked a character you didn't like you had to play that one till you grinded enough to unlock another. They tried to fix this but in the end it was already to late because the player base had already written it off.

Some people didn't like the waves of mobs. It was a move here fight some, then move here type of game. It wasn't a constant flood of action.

It was one of the few ARPG that allowed keyboard movement which is something that I prefer. Don't really enjoy click to move ARPG's that much to be honest. I like to be able to move my mouse away from what I am doing and still run in the opposite direction. Everyone has their own things like like and dislike, keyboard movement is one of my likes.

I am glad that they made it into a single player game in the end because to be honest that is all it ever needed to be. Every game released doesn't have to be online. Especially when it comes to ARPG's. Wish more games could be saved like this in the end. There are people that actually enjoy games that just get shut down with no recourse.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I mentioned before how gods have been removed from MMO's over the course of MMO history while magic remains a central theme. Well now the gods are absent. :)
  • PurplePepePurplePepe Member UncommonPosts: 122

Wizardry said:

Why would a new owner take over a failed game and declare it in maintenance mode,makes no sense?So i have a guess,this is the actual owner all along and WGN was just a publisher who was taking a large % of the profits from sales.So they lost their shirt had to let everyone go and just hope and pray that Steam can deliver enough money to kickstart development again "not happening".

So using powerful intuition,this game is in essence DEAD,no game other than FFXIV will come back from failure and that was because no game has the longevity of the Final Fantasy franchise.

Personally,the gaming market is way too full of crappy games,way too many Indie developers.I know i heard the arguments for YEARS about how we need Indie devs,well i haven't seen gaming evolve for over 10 years now so why again do we need Indie Devs?Oh yeah to flood the market with more crap and to allow all the third party peripheral businesses an opportunity to profit from them.

I hear your frustration and I share it. Still, there is hope.

No Man's Sky managed to pull off a nice come back and private servers have managed to continue an IP long after the original studio shut down.

We're also at the point where we will find out in the next couple of years whether or not the consumer response toward funding Kickstarter titles in protest to major studio's ignoring of player's wants will bear fruit. Path of Exile was a much needed response to disenfranchised Diablo players. Niche MMO players are awaiting Crowfall, Ashes of Creation, Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen among other titles. Many crowdfunded titles will and have failed of course, but we only need one or two major hits in order to convince major studios to change their tune. (I won't hold my breath either.)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    It's better than the game being abandoned like Marvel Heroes. At least the few people that like it can still play it.

I personally hared the WASD movement, lack of customization and tunnel zones.
  • SIMOMEGASIMOMEGA Newbie CommonPosts: 1

Wizardry said:

I hear your frustration and I share it. Still, there is hope.

No Man's Sky managed to pull off a nice come back and private servers have managed to continue an IP long after the original studio shut down.

We're also at the point where we will find out in the next couple of years whether or not the consumer response toward funding Kickstarter titles in protest to major studio's ignoring of player's wants will bear fruit. Path of Exile was a much needed response to disenfranchised Diablo players. Niche MMO players are awaiting Crowfall, Ashes of Creation, Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen among other titles. Many crowdfunded titles will and have failed of course, but we only need one or two major hits in order to convince major studios to change their tune. (I won't hold my breath either.)

"No Man's Sky managed to pull off a nice come back and private servers have managed to continue an IP long after the original studio shut down."
    "long after the original studio shut down."?????

They literally just released No Man's Sky on Switch, and they're still releasing updates, Hello Games hasn't shut down lmao.