Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just started watching Star Wars in chronological order from Episode 1.

CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
edited January 2020 in Off-Topic Discussion
I never watched Episode 1~3 since I knew they weren't good. Now I get to appreciate them in chronological order. Episode 1~3, Solo, Rogue One, Episode 4~8.

Episode 1: The CGI is bad. The 3D lighting techniques of the time were limited and they create too much contrast which is easily visible in viewing. The acting is overt and cartoonish, or absolutely emotionless. There are obvious toy tie ins. The set pieces lack a purpose and seem to be there for effect.

Episode 2: The CGI is vastly improved. They used new techniques of 3D rendering which produces more realistic results. There are some sections that show the limitations of the time that reveal the uncanny valley. The animation lacks anticipation at times. The set lighting was phenomenal. The set pieces seem to have more purpose built into them creating a more believable world. The acting wasn't as flat as in episode one but it was still pretty bad. I thought Anakin was played well if you consider him an awkward teenager. The story jumps around a bit too much, but the transition between Anakin on Tatooine and Obi-Wan on Geonosis was well done. The non-jedi action scenes were also pretty good. Outside of Obi-Wan, the jedi action scenes were stiff like 2 old men were practicing with sticks. The sound track was poorly done and often doesn't work well with the visuals or dialogue.

Episode 3: The CGI shows 3 years of progress in the technology. The shadows have a sufficient amount of ambient light probably from a realistic light map. The tone mapping was on point with the art design. There is still the appearance of the uncanny valley with the clone troopers looking like they are from the TV series and the transition of the greenscreen. The set pieces continued to be well thought of and developed. The story telling and pacing wasn't a mess probably due to less locations visited and not packing as much in. The sound actually complimented what was happening on the screen. The acting for the most part was better aside from Samuel Jackson who's performance was more cartoonish. The action for the most part was better including for the Jedi fight scenes. They were more dynamic in their posing than before with the exceptions of Emperor Palpatine and Mace Windu who once again fought like 2 old men practicing with sticks. Out of the prequel trilogy, this one was definitely the best. The negative point would be that it's goal is to setup for Episode 4. There is also some fanservice creeping in and one big I don't care to explain this plot point.
Post edited by Cleffy on
AlBQuirky

Comments

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Darth Maul best baddie aside from the iconic Vader.  He was underutilsed and should probably have been a mainstay nemesis throughout episodes 1-3 instead of killing him off in episode 1.

AlBQuirky
  • VarrborVarrbor Newbie CommonPosts: 12
    I agree with you there. The character of Darth Maul is interesting to me and I would like to see more of him.
  • alexriderralexriderr Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Watch all, its amazing.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited September 2020
    I finished watching them all a while ago. To me, I think the best ones were A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, then Rogue One in that order. The others were middling in quality with the exception of Episode 1 and The Last Jedi which were awful in my opinion.
    The first few movies were new and they concentrated on conveying the story in a believable manner. But like all successful entities, it became a franchise/institution. The acting became a caricature of the originals which makes the movies suffer. They also add things that would typically be cut in production. 
    Post edited by Cleffy on
    AlBQuirky
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Cleffy said:
    I never watched Episode 1~3 since I knew they weren't good. Now I get to appreciate them in chronological order. Episode 1~3, Solo, Rogue One, Episode 4~8.

Episode 1: The CGI is bad. The 3D lighting techniques of the time were limited and they create too much contrast which is easily visible in viewing. The acting is overt and cartoonish, or absolutely emotionless. There are obvious toy tie ins. The set pieces lack a purpose and seem to be there for effect.

Episode 2: The CGI is vastly improved. They used new techniques of 3D rendering which produces more realistic results. There are some sections that show the limitations of the time that reveal the uncanny valley. The animation lacks anticipation at times. The set lighting was phenomenal. The set pieces seem to have more purpose built into them creating a more believable world. The acting wasn't as flat as in episode one but it was still pretty bad. I thought Anakin was played well if you consider him an awkward teenager. The story jumps around a bit too much, but the transition between Anakin on Tatooine and Obi-Wan on Geonosis was well done. The non-jedi action scenes were also pretty good. Outside of Obi-Wan, the jedi action scenes were stiff like 2 old men were practicing with sticks. The sound track was poorly done and often doesn't work well with the visuals or dialogue.

Episode 3: The CGI shows 3 years of progress in the technology. The shadows have a sufficient amount of ambient light probably from a realistic light map. The tone mapping was on point with the art design. There is still the appearance of the uncanny valley with the clone troopers looking like they are from the TV series and the transition of the greenscreen. The set pieces continued to be well thought of and developed. The story telling and pacing wasn't a mess probably due to less locations visited and not packing as much in. The sound actually complimented what was happening on the screen. The acting for the most part was better aside from Samuel Jackson who's performance was more cartoonish. The action for the most part was better including for the Jedi fight scenes. They were more dynamic in their posing than before with the exceptions of Emperor Palpatine and Mace Windu who once again fought like 2 old men practicing with sticks. Out of the prequel trilogy, this one was definitely the best. The negative point would be that it's goal is to setup for Episode 4. There is also some fanservice creeping in and one big I don't care to explain this plot point.

I've experimented with various different orders for watching the star wars movies. Chronological is certainly a logical choice and ive been through them that way a few times, but I have a different preference:

Rogue 1
    Ep 4-6
    Ep 1-3
    Solo
    Ep 7-9

Rogue 1's story perfectly sets up the original films, so I like to start there. I prefer the original films near the start of my viewing, partly because they have the best stories but simply because they are the most iconic in my mind. They instill that feeling of rebellion against the oppressor and has some great cameradery (defs spelt that wrong!).

Also, as the originals have the oldest tech, I like them near the start. I find if I watch too many of the modern films before the originals, then I end up missing the special effects. Especially the lightsaber battles. The originals just don't have many lightsaber scenes at all, let alone good ones compared to modern standards.

I also like having the original story come first. Even though I obviously know all the story, a lot of the plot points of the originals seem silly if you already know all the history. Hard to watch all the luke/leia and luke/vader scenes when you saw Padme give birth to Anakins children just a few hours before.

Onto the prequels.....for me, this is all about filling in the story and world to support the originals.

I can agree, somewhat, with your points about the CGI in Ep1. But, for 1999, they were great. It can sometimes be worth watching this on an older format, as the dodgy CGI blends in a lot better at lower res. Watto (anakins slave master) in particular looks terrible on blu-ray, the depth perception is so off, but on DVD he looks way better.

I'm actually a big fan of The Phantom Menace. Yes, Jar-Jar is irritating as hell. Sure, Natalie Portman seems to forget how to act. But, you have to remember that these are childrens films and George Lucas can't write dialogue for shit. It's bad in every single star wars movies, including the originals.

But, the film contains a lot of great stuff. I love the Podrace (minus anakins face shots). I like finding out about Anakins history, even if the virgin birth / prophesy storyline is terrible. The gungan society is fascintaing (tech wise and beast wise anyway), very visually appealing. There's a ground battle, a space battle, a load of new planets. Plus, Darth Maul, probably my favourite bad guy. and he has the second-best lightsaber fight in the whole series - after obi-wan vs anakin in ep 3.

Ep 2 is one of my least favourite SW films. The initial assassination attempt and subsequent chase through the skies is pretty cool, and all the stuff on Kamino with the cloners and Jengo Fett is really cool. But the rest of it I don't really like. Hayden Christenson just isn't a good enough actor to do the role justice, and his courtship of Padme is badly handled. And yeh, that final lightsaber battle is shit.

Side note: Christopher Lee (dooku) actually did a fair bit of his own duelling. He is/was an actual fencer in real life and refused to use the lightsaber that was made for him. So, he made them design a new one, with the curved handle, because that matched a normal fencing blade and suited his fencing style of fighting.

Ep 3 is pretty awesome. I like pretty much everything about the film. Great opening sequence. Best lightsaber battle in the whole series, obi-wan vs anakin, that seems to go on forever - though the conclusion of the duel is shit. "I have the high ground" /facepalm. Love the visit to the wookie homeworld, plus all the stuff on Utapau.

The film is really all about Obi-wan for me. Ewan McGregor perfects the role, and the costume department finally perfects the look (hated his mullet in ep 2!). Can't wait for the new series!

Main downsides: Anakins turn to the darkside is poorly handled. It's setup well, but final turn and then instant willingness to slaughter his friends and innocent children just doesn't sit well.

Padme's dialogue and story is also terrible. In Ep1, she's a teenage Queen, leader of armies and a real political force. By ep 3, she's lost all of her innate power and personality.

Anyways, glad you made it to the end. As I said before, just remember these are childrens films. Depth and consistency take a back seat to spectacle and obvious moral messages and story.
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Cleffy said:
    I finished watching them all a while ago. To me, I think the best ones were A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, then Rogue One in that order. The others were middling in quality with the exception of Episode 1 and The Last Jedi which were awful in my opinion.
    The first few movies were new and they concentrated on conveying the story in a believable manner. But like all successful entities, it became a franchise/institution. The acting became a caricature of the originals which makes the movies suffer. They also add things that would typically be cut in production. 
    One thing that bugs me between the original films and those that came after was the tech advances that happened between them. R2-D2 went from a dwarf actor inside a plastic tube to a CGI creation that somehow had "little rockets" for mobility in the prequels. Rockets that got lost somewhere along the way.

When film makers have the tech, it is nigh impossible for them to NOT implement it.

PS: Out curiosity, did your viewings include "Lucas's Twiddlings?" (added/refined scenes)
    Catibrie

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Unfortunately yes. This was on Disney+ since I can watch it in 4K HDR on an OLED TV. But not all of the Lucas Twiddlings were bad, like Cloud City improvements.
    AlBQuirky