Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else is super hyped about this game?

12346»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Wizardry said:
    I am curious how PLAYERS are going to shape the balance?

I know an entire guild can shape the balance but i do not see individual players as having any meaning at all but maybe i am missing something?

A guild is made up of individual players and the whole game is based around guilds. However, from what I have read, even if you are not in a guild, you build the strength of your faction by doing pve and pvp quests.

Obviously one individual player is unlikely to have much of an impact, but just by playing the game you contribute to world change, which is different to most other mmos which have completely static worlds.
    What does "strength of your faction" do for you and others of that faction?
    I don't know the details yet, but the new world site says:

As your Faction controls more Territories, your attacks against the creatures of Aeternum will be more effective, you will find higher quantities of resources when gathering, craft equipment at higher base qualities, and find yourself luckier when looting. The more Territories your faction controls, the more powerful you become.

So basically percentage bonuses to damage and gathering skills? I think eso used to have something similar when it started out.
    Yeah ESO had those at launch and for a while afterward depending on the current status of your PvP campaign but they got rid of them for PvE activities and the bonuses just applied to Cyrodiil itself.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TwitchTaranissTwitchTaraniss Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Rhoklaw said:
    For me, the thing is, I don't care if other people love or hate a game. I will always buy / play a game that interests me, because ultimately I am the one who knows what I enjoy. Of course I will listen to what people have to say, but unless their fanboism or hatred has some actual deep rooted reasons, I simply don't care. Most people complaining about NW are PvP players and I can tell you, I rarely see eye to eye with any PvP players. That is why I haven't canceled my pre order. Even if the game becomes boring after a month, still don't care as it's B2P, no subscription. It's not like the alternatives out there offer anything better.

I recently went back to BDO only to realize people are so bored in that game that griefing has come back with style. In fact, just a couple days ago, someone killed me 9 times in less than 2 hours while I was leveling up horses. Yes folks, that is a sign of complete breakdown of game excitement. When you are so bored that killing random people multiple times, which gains you nothing by the way, just because.

So I say, bring on New World because it certainly can't be any worse than the garbage already available.
    ^^^ This exactly.

What interests me might not be what interests someone else. I for one have spent more money on things imo that were far worse or I just wasted it looking back. If the game fizzles out for me in a month as well I will still not consider it a waste of money if I got a month worth of entertainment. 
    [Deleted User]SovrathYashaX[Deleted User]
    Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/taraniss

Legends - Heroes fade..Legends last Forever
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Rhoklaw said:
    For me, the thing is, I don't care if other people love or hate a game. I will always buy / play a game that interests me, because ultimately I am the one who knows what I enjoy. Of course I will listen to what people have to say, but unless their fanboism or hatred has some actual deep rooted reasons, I simply don't care. Most people complaining about NW are PvP players and I can tell you, I rarely see eye to eye with any PvP players. That is why I haven't canceled my pre order. Even if the game becomes boring after a month, still don't care as it's B2P, no subscription. It's not like the alternatives out there offer anything better.

I recently went back to BDO only to realize people are so bored in that game that griefing has come back with style. In fact, just a couple days ago, someone killed me 9 times in less than 2 hours while I was leveling up horses. Yes folks, that is a sign of complete breakdown of game excitement. When you are so bored that killing random people multiple times, which gains you nothing by the way, just because.

So I say, bring on New World because it certainly can't be any worse than the garbage already available.
    Um.... sorry about that :)
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Wizardry said:

I know an entire guild can shape the balance but i do not see individual players as having any meaning at all but maybe i am missing something?

A guild is made up of individual players and the whole game is based around guilds. However, from what I have read, even if you are not in a guild, you build the strength of your faction by doing pve and pvp quests.

Obviously one individual player is unlikely to have much of an impact, but just by playing the game you contribute to world change, which is different to most other mmos which have completely static worlds.

As your Faction controls more Territories, your attacks against the creatures of Aeternum will be more effective, you will find higher quantities of resources when gathering, craft equipment at higher base qualities, and find yourself luckier when looting. The more Territories your faction controls, the more powerful you become.

So basically percentage bonuses to damage and gathering skills? I think eso used to have something similar when it started out.
    So it doesn't change the world at all.  It just affects the buff that everyone gets (more for those in your faction, less for those in other factions assuming its' a competitive thing)

That's kinda lame, IMHO.
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Wizardry said:

So it doesn't change the world at all.  It just affects the buff that everyone gets (more for those in your faction, less for those in other factions assuming its' a competitive thing)

That's kinda lame, IMHO.
    Like I said, I don't know all the details, but there does seem to be more than just % bonuses. For example the owners of the forts change hands, which could potentially have flow on effects. 

What type of world change would you consider to be interesting?
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    YashaX said:

That's kinda lame, IMHO.
    Like I said, I don't know all the details, but there does seem to be more than just % bonuses. For example the owners of the forts change hands, which could potentially have flow on effects. 

Well, the original context was "just by playing the game you contribute to world change, which is different to most other mmos which have completely static worlds."

So I guess... anything that's more than just a token change in a programming flag like "Who owns this fort"

Does owning the fort let one change the trade routes?  Does it change the landscape?  The mobs? The loot?  The natural resources available there? Do they get to decorate the fort?  Does the fort have a greater effect on the WORLD where the lore and politics going on in the storyline change based on who has the fort?

And that's just basic stuff.  Basically, anything above and beyond "Oh, NEWBANGERS own this fort" and "NEWBANGERS and associated allies now get +3% bonus to their harvesting skills"
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    I have access to several betas including Crowfall and CU.  I find myself playing neverwinter right now.  Don't get me wrong I am excited about this game and it will be fun to play with former UO, DAOC, and Shadowbane guildies but...
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2020
    All i can suggest is watch  the IGN video from March and THEN watch the newer June one.
    The one from June seems like a bunch of shills and fake smiles and well BS.One thing i got from both videos is people are trying to hype up a combat that is factually NO DIFFERENT than for example playing Atlas or any other survival game.

They seem to be attempting to compare TNW combat versus mmorpg's which of course has ZERO bearing because this is NOT a mmorpg.The combat is NOT improving anything at all.

So there will be early game quests and again the second video tries to basically hype everything up but the first tells it more real>>boring pointless quests that are mostly lots of running around.

Anyone is free to argue but what i see is a game that is NOT geared towards PVE'rs whatsoever past the first 1-3 days.
    The game EXACTLY like Atlas will be gather a large guild control an area and thereby controlling the resources and the tax rates,EXACTLY like Atlas so nothing new here.

So how is this game separating itself from the pack "truthfully" and not in a way like the shills try to hype it up?The early training mode quests,the world is more empty than say Atlas's open world "not a good thing" and the main focus is the 50-50 sieges.

So imo since the first few days don't really make a game,it is a lesser game than Atlas in overall design but trades away the ships/water for the 50-50 sieges.Does this make it a worthwhile game to play,well unless i see more...nope.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited July 2020
    It's simply put, this is a rushed product that made big promises and has little to show for it. NW videos have dropped again and again showing off their PvP and its content that people will have to fight over to just be a part of and it only happens once a week for 50 gamers. Why is this the focus of showing off the game? From the leaks it seems that's not even playing well. Amazon has no reason for doing this. This is one company that could have launched an MMO right. Why rush it? 
  • AshaiaAshaia Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Honestly, I have no expectations for this game, neither positive, nor negative. It is nice see that the developers try to create some kind of new setting. But beyond that it looked quite gnereic to me, without true conviction to play it. I mean, in the last 20 years or so, there were so many MMORPGs released, but only 2-3 could really catch my attention to regularly play it. Maybe they have a bigger budget than others, but will it be fun, partuclarly for a longer time period? I am not sure right now.
    YashaX said:

That's kinda lame, IMHO.

Well, the original context was "just by playing the game you contribute to world change, which is different to most other mmos which have completely static worlds."

So I guess... anything that's more than just a token change in a programming flag like "Who owns this fort"

Does owning the fort let one change the trade routes?  Does it change the landscape?  The mobs? The loot?  The natural resources available there? Do they get to decorate the fort?  Does the fort have a greater effect on the WORLD where the lore and politics going on in the storyline change based on who has the fort?

And that's just basic stuff.  Basically, anything above and beyond "Oh, NEWBANGERS own this fort" and "NEWBANGERS and associated allies now get +3% bonus to their harvesting skills"

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'm interested in seeing more details about. I am hoping it amounts to something more than just a % change to some skills.

It would be really interesting if they set this up as a proper RvR game, because then entering another faction's area to gather resources or trying to undermine their power base would be  exciting (and meaningful). 

However, even seeing territory expansion in an mmo world is something new for me. In other games that kind of thing is tucked into a separate instance like in eso, or just doesn't exist at all even if the game has factions. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I go back and forth between f-this game to I’m going to pre order now!! But never do. I just don’t think amazon has figured out what type of game new world is... makes it hard for the customers to actually buy into it. Outside of a gamble.
    If you're on the fence just wait 2 1/2 weeks. The NDA drops when the beta starts and streamers have gotten the green light to stream beta game play.

There will be game play videos everywhere after July 25.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]bcbully
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• pwettypwetty Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Iselin said:
    I go back and forth between f-this game to I’m going to pre order now!! But never do. I just don’t think amazon has figured out what type of game new world is... makes it hard for the customers to actually buy into it. Outside of a gamble.
    If you're on the fence just wait 2 1/2 weeks. The NDA drops when the beta starts and streamers have gotten the green light to stream beta game play.

Still not seeing that many videos anywhere. I'm trying to find information on good builds or classes or maybe just anything to learn more about the games' mechanics, but I only found an article about that here, and it's not even that detailed.. Hope more info will be available soon.
    pwetty said:
    Iselin said:

Still not seeing that many videos anywhere. I'm trying to find information on good builds or classes or maybe just anything to learn more about the games' mechanics, but I only found an article about that here, and it's not even that detailed.. Hope more info will be available soon.
    That's because the game was delayed until next year. There is a limited time preview/alpha/play-test starting at the end of August for people that preordered. That play-test or whatever is not under NDA so you should see a lot more information at that point.
  • Abscissa15Abscissa15 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    I just finished up with the player density test as well. Looking back I have to concur with *coughKanocough*: prepare to be underwhelmed. However - it is not even official beta yet so ... who knows.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    I am now.
    I will only say two things...

- They were right to delay the release, because of content variety, not because of quality.
    - The production quality of this game is VERY high, their engine is really good, the graphics are utterly gorgeous and is runs without problems on my PC (see sig) with everything maxed out at 60+fps in 2560x1440 and at 40-45 fps in 4K, I haven't noticed any major bugs, no lag either despite playing on US servers from the EU.

After being in this test, I pre-ordered.

The production quality is definitely better than Crowfall's. Can't wait to talk about it more once the NDA lifts.
  • Aliantha_AngelAliantha_Angel Member UncommonPosts: 225
    I was disappointed with the density test, after over 100 tries to just get out of the starter area and to have it constantly re-set me to the beginning, I saw nothing to know if it's what I was waiting for or not.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    They really need to be great to have people move from their current game and play their game, otherwise, it's going to be cricket.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    You can never replace REAL human created factions with 2-3 created ones by the developer.This has been my number 1 beef with faction based games,ok this one has 1 more than the typical lazy 2 faction game but 3 is still like why bother.
    Give me 10+ more like 20 is what i want to see not 3.

Having only 2 factions is merely like flipping a coin,1 more is not much more than flipping a coin,it just feel very weak from a design perspective,something i just could not get in to.

Now i never personally got into pvp in Atlas,i just don't like the idea of losing everything in a mere seconds,that would make all my efforts a waste of time.I did watch a lot of the warfare and i have to say a lot of those human made factions were having a LOT of fun and WHY,simple,they were with their friends<<<,keyword FRIENDS.

You cannot create the same atmosphere or camaraderie in a prefab faction like you would with friends.I witnessed tons of laughter,like tons of laughter,how often do you see that in a pvp game?Even Forsen's band of misfits were having FUN,i can't stand him personally but i saw FUN and that is the most important part of gaming is to go out with friends and have some fun.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.