Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old school games were clearly better

124»

Comments

• GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    Where's Warhammer or Magic? Kinda like, yeah, less known games. ;)
    [Deleted User]
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Gorwe said:
    Where's Warhammer or Magic? Kinda like, yeah, less known games. ;)
    Are you new here ?

Only kidding :)
    [Deleted User]
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Parcheesi plays like Ludo except Ludo has only one die. Interesting I guess these games are in different forms all over the world. It is a Native American game from what I read when I googled it.
    AlBQuirky

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    edited August 2020
    Tabletop gaming has really taken off in the last 10-15 years thanks to the success of Catan, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride and the like. It seems like even those who were primarily videogamers have flocked to the hobby for the in-person social play that videogames lost with the proliferation of online multiplayer and the rarity of couch co-op these days, and the wide variety of experiences you can get in tabletop gaming reflects that.

Rolling a die and moving along a track was fun as a kid, but I now have a collection of nearly 150 games with a wide variety of game mechanics, themes, and artistic styles that blow away what most of those old school games did. Even since the pandemic began, my most-played game is Tabletop Simulator on Steam, which allows our group to get together every weekend like usual and play a game or two. 
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    As an avid boardgamer, I'm kinda bummed that I'm just now seeing this thread. 
    bonzoso21AlBQuirky

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Monopoly was a grind fest.
    Monopoly is simply a bad game. Luck based, tedius, and the winning strategy is obvious.

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Aeander said:
    I don't play bored games.

Unfortunately that sums it about up ...

Also, there is no board game one couldnt transport to the computer.

This thread would actually be better if it WAS about old computer games.

edited August 2020
    Aeander said:
    I don't play bored games.

Unfortunately that sums it about up ...

Also, there is no board game one couldnt transport to the computer.

This thread would actually be better if it WAS about old computer games.

Computers don't allow you to throw a pillow at your cousin or upset the board on purpose when you're losing. Going for a glass of water and keeping an eye out to see if anyone is changing their position or cheating.That simply does not happen when you're playing these games on a computer.

They also don't give you any tactile responses. The wonderful feeling of the Mahjong tiles in your hands as you mix them. The clacking of the tiles as you gently move them around at 3 am hoping a new complaint from the neighbour does not come in the morning. You miss all that so no they are not 'bored' games they are far from that and playing with family members is such a treat and  an experience I would never cheapen by calling the time I spent with them as boring.

My best memories of my cousins were when we were playing games and even at this old age we still get together every few years or so to play something and all the memories come flooding back make making my chest tight.
    AlBQuirky

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Monopoly is simply a bad game. Luck based, tedius, and the winning strategy is obvious.

Always be the banker and steal from the till when no one is looking?

;) 
    [Deleted User]kitaradAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited August 2020
    Kyleran said:

Always be the banker and steal from the till when no one is looking?

;) 
    Good thing you weren't our banker. My cousin was the most honest banker and she often lost at Monopoly so definitely not a thieving player.
    Post edited by kitarad on
    AlBQuirky

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    WOW, this thread is kind of like some of the Audiophile threads on certain forums where they say, 'Young people don't want good sounding music.' Remember back in the days when. Memory is a dangerous and fickle thing as it is tied into our emotions so much that, it is hard to divorce one from the other.

Let us just say, just because things are different, doesn't mean they are bad.
    SovrathAlBQuirky

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited August 2020
    Naw, we’re mostly reminiscing and having some fun, few are taking this as any sort of serious point of view.   

Just as I prefer newer music (hey, last 10 years in newer for me) I prefer newer games, you won’t see me playing Axis and Allies much these days even,  and would play board games but I don’t have anyone in my friends circle who would be interested.

Wait, I don’t really have a friends circle either, perhaps that’s the problem?  

:)
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Chess
    3D Chess
    Backgammon
    And my all time favorite:
    Cribbage

My grandfather and I would play cribbage for hours on long winter nights, when the snow was piled feet deep. I miss those days.
    SovrathAlBQuirkykitarad