Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legends of Aria Review

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageLegends of Aria Review

Legends of Aria is a sandbox MMORPG that pays tribute to the games that inspired it from MMOs of yesteryear. Matt breaks down his thoughts on the debut title from Citadel Studios. Here is our Legends of Aria review.

Read the full story here

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited July 2020
    My favorite feature about this game is that when you log off your char falls asleep and stay in the game world defenceless. Players can then attack you and take all your stuff. So when you log off you turn into a node for farmers. How awesome is that?
    Fedaygin
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119

Nanfoodle said:

My favorite feature about this game is that when you log off your char falls asleep and stay in the game world defenceless. Players can then attack you and take all your stuff. So when you log off you turn into a node for farmers. How awesome is that?

They didnt do it like UO? Where you stay in game for like 10 mins unless you log out at inn?
    Fedaygin
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I played this in Alpha on the Ultima Online style server. I heard they were going to recreate the UO map completely.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Game was a waste of money for me. Shards idea gone..... so many changes and indecisions from devs.
    Fedaygin

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 150

Nanfoodle said:

Log out at the inn to negate this. lol
    NanfoodleFedaygin
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I already read the competing reviews of this game by @delete5230

"This is the greatest game ever and the one true mmorpg."

"This game sucks."

MightyUncleanCryomatrixFedaygin

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I think most people have wanted this game to succeed but it's been so inconsistent on what it was supposed to be its hard to care about anymore.

I want to like this game.
    Fedaygin
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I told yas over a year ago , there is only one place to get a UO experience ...

https://uo.com/

Dont be fooled by imitations
  • jason523jason523 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    The game is hardly "high fantasy" the world has barely a story with is actually lower than low fantasy.
    Fedaygin
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    This is my favorite of all the kickstarter mmo's.

The game even from 1 year ago has improved greatly and if you think about how much it has improved since first being public ready IMO it's about 200%. When the game was first only available through their launcher it was a clunky no direction mess. Now it's a complete MMO that can only improve from this point going forward.

A couple of the cons of this review I think can be moved to the pro side depending on who is reading. The combat for me is very fun because of the slower speed for a person like me who is getting up there in age and does not have the good reflexes I once did. There is quite a bit of theorycrafting for builds if you don't follow other people's advice and discover things on your own. If you like feeling the impact both good and bad of your decisions then this game is a blast. I've had to re-roll characters cause I screwed up + OCD but that was part of the fun of it all.

The full loot open world pvp was a great decision by the devs in the end because it adds to the excitement of open world experiences. You have to be cautious about what you do and I've found that for every ganker there are 10 people who will not bother you and in some cases will offer to help or just want to talk and possibly become friends. Sure there are gankers but the devs added arpg-like loot so now even at a early level everyone has loot which decreased the incentive to gank.

If I were to rate the game I'd personally give it 6.5-7.5. The housing, gathering, crafting and skill leveling alone should give it a 6.5. Add .5 for the well thought out zone geography + mob uniqueness then add another .5 for for constant developer improvements, community systems, banking/inventory, player vendors, group content and one of the best animal taming/creature handler class designs I've played in any MMO.
    Fedaygin
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    I couldn't get past the loading screen. It got as far as the company logo then it hung there forever. Not worth it.
    Fedaygin

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• DeathtognomesDeathtognomes Member UncommonPosts: 155

Nanfoodle said:

ziabatsu said:

Nanfoodle said:

Log out at the inn to negate this. lol

This puts me off on multiplayer games, it means you if you cant play for too long, you cant run too far away from an inn. "busy gathering resources in the middle of nowhere?" well you're screwed like in ARK...
  • AurorikinAurorikin Member UncommonPosts: 38

Nanfoodle said:

Pretty certain you need to log out in an inn or your house to avoid this. Sleeping the wilderness is dangerous (fyi)
  • AurorikinAurorikin Member UncommonPosts: 38

This puts me off on multiplayer games, it means you if you cant play for too long, you cant run too far away from an inn. "busy gathering resources in the middle of nowhere?" well you're screwed like in ARK...

Pro tip - click your hearth stone to teleport back to the inn.
    angerbeaver
  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    As someone who grew up on UO... It's clear these devs learned nothing from the decades of feedback and lessons UO had available. They managed to recreate the worst parts of UO that were more oversights than intentional design.

People played UO because it had magical moments no other game can recreate, but UO was and is a tedious game that most players largely play "afk" and these designers sat down and made the ocnscious decision to recreate the biggest barrier of entry UO had. It's incredible.
    Fedaygin
     I've been here a while...
  • SheylannaSheylanna Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I didn't play for long -- the biggest turn off for me, of all things, was the looting. Having to individually click each and every item with a cast bar was beyond tedious. If they tightened up some of the tediousness (Even Everquest had a 'loot all' option!) I'd probably give it a second chance.

An item like a bedroll or something would solve the have to log out in an inn option.
  • MorBladeMorBlade Member UncommonPosts: 49
    When I need my old time MMO Fix, I log into my old Everquest Account. I still cannot make myself play these Top/Down MMOs.
  • RoxRocksRoxRocks Member UncommonPosts: 19
    "The full loot open world pvp was a great decision by the devs in the end because it adds to the excitement of open world experiences. You have to be cautious about what you do and I've found that for every ganker there are 10 people who will not bother you and in some cases will offer to help or just want to talk and possibly become friends. Sure there are gankers but the devs added arpg-like loot so now even at a early level everyone has loot which decreased the incentive to gank."

There will always be gankers and griefers. Some people get their giddies from making someone else unhappy. I don't like to pvp and will not be forced to participate in someone else's idea of fun. I loved UO and would have liked to give this a go, but forced pvp makes it a no.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    "Set in the high fantasy world of Celador, LOA drops players in the middle of a bustling world with a little backstory and even less direction. This may seem like a critique at first glance. However, in an age of theme parks and linear progression, Legends offers a call back to the adventure of the unknown."

"This Sandbox...."

Then gets cons for

"Lack of direction might put off new players"
    "Lack of focused narrative"

Seems unfair to penalize the sandbox game for being a sandbox game and just letting you decide where to go and what to do.
    [Deleted User]