Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO tests turn-based combat to fix lag

2»

Comments

• GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:
    Regardless, I deeply dislike always online. I don't want my fun to depend on net stability, international protests, climate etc. I just want to game and have fun on my own terms.

This is my current "where is gaming going?" fear. In the USA, we have data caps, crappy unreliable infrastructure, and monopolies that make "always online" not as pretty as most marketers make it out to be.

I really don't know what I'll do if gaming keeps going this way...
    Data caps lol. I'd just ask them whether it's ISDN or (fiber optic) (A)DSL. Wouldn't surprise me if they still used ISDN. So much for America, that's all folks! :)
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:
    Regardless, I deeply dislike always online. I don't want my fun to depend on net stability, international protests, climate etc. I just want to game and have fun on my own terms.

This is my current "where is gaming going?" fear. In the USA, we have data caps, crappy unreliable infrastructure, and monopolies that make "always online" not as pretty as most marketers make it out to be.

Data caps lol. I'd just ask them whether it's ISDN or (fiber optic) (A)DSL. Wouldn't surprise me if they still used ISDN. So much for America, that's all folks! :)
    In reality, it is just another made up thing ISPs can charge extra for. It costs ISPs $0 whether I use 1TB or 1KB of data in a month.
    GdemamiGorwe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:

In reality, it is just another made up thing ISPs can charge extra for. It costs ISPs $0 whether I use 1TB or 1KB of data in a month.
    Fully agreed. A cable is a cable and it costs "x", regardless whether people use 1 Gbps or 1 Mbps. Ok, the giga range could require better infrastructure, but it doesn't excuse data caps. But USA is like that, dog eat dog, not really my kind of mentality.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:

Fully agreed. A cable is a cable and it costs "x", regardless whether people use 1 Gbps or 1 Mbps. Ok, the giga range could require better infrastructure, but it doesn't excuse data caps. But USA is like that, dog eat dog, not really my kind of mentality.
    That "better infrastructure" doesn't have infinite capacity. Data caps are just their way of managing what customer base they have within the limits of their capacity.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:

That "better infrastructure" doesn't have infinite capacity. Data caps are just their way of managing what customer base they have within the limits of their capacity.
    It doesn't have to but it does have to have excess depending on what traffic the infrastructure has now. Many ISP would rather just limit bandwidth rather than actually planning properly for actual use based on what traffic they have now.

I live in the middle of nowhere, yet we have better Internet because the local ISP out here PLANNED IT THAT WAY. 
    GdemamiYashaXAlBQuirky

• JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Gorwe said:
    Brainy said:
    Iselin said:
    Umm... that's not what "turn based" means :)

They're just adding cool downs and progressively increasing resource cost to combat AOE spamming.
    LOL when I first read the headline, I thought it was moving to something like Civilization.  I was wondering how that would work.  Didn't sound good.
    Sure is a clickbait and a half! Regardless, I deeply dislike always online. I don't want my fun to depend on net stability, international protests, climate etc. I just want to game and have fun on my own terms.
    If you hate always online games so much then why do you like MMOs? True MMOs HAVE to always be online...
    YashaX

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    edited August 2020
    JamesP said:
    Gorwe said:
    Brainy said:
    Iselin said:

They're just adding cool downs and progressively increasing resource cost to combat AOE spamming.
    LOL when I first read the headline, I thought it was moving to something like Civilization.  I was wondering how that would work.  Didn't sound good.
    Sure is a clickbait and a half! Regardless, I deeply dislike always online. I don't want my fun to depend on net stability, international protests, climate etc. I just want to game and have fun on my own terms.
    If you hate always online games so much then why do you like MMOs? True MMOs HAVE to always be online...
    @Gorwe is referring to single player games that require you to be connected to the internet to be able to play, not MMOs....
    AlBQuirky
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:

Do realise that in many countries there is no data cap at all and 1gb connections are being introduced everywhere so households easily stream 4k 4 hours a day. Data cap sounds a 100% like an artificial barrier to nickle and dime the customer to me.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirkyGdemami
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

JamesP said:
    Gorwe said:
    Brainy said:
    Iselin said:

Because I'm here more due to inertia and company, not because of MMOs. The only real reason I liked MMOs was because I was almost forced into them. Think in terms of year, say, 2012. What could I have played from the following franchises to get even semi RPG feel: Warhammer, Conan, LoTR? The closest is BFME. So it was either WAR / AoC / LoTR:O or bust. Not much of a choice, but eh.
    Gdemami
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    JamesP said:
    Gorwe said:
    Brainy said:
    Iselin said:

Expectations. I knew when I bought an MMORPG that I had to have internet access to play. SINGLE PLAYER games is what I'm talking about.

First, online connections were a form of DRM. Now, companies want a steady stream of cash coming in so they go to a "Games as a Service" model for SINGLE PLAYER games, just to keep that cash coming in. But... That "always online" means if my internet goes down (and it will... frequently) I can't play ANY of those SINGLE PLAYER games.

Maybe that's just a trade-off from not actually buying the game? Play only when you're connected?
    ScotNyghthowler

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:

Do realise that in many countries there is no data cap at all and 1gb connections are being introduced everywhere so households easily stream 4k 4 hours a day. Data cap sounds a 100% like an artificial barrier to nickle and dime the customer to me.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Indeed, I can get an unlimited data plan for $90 a month (about USD50) in Australia. The download and upload speeds seem to be the limiting factor here (88Mbps down, 15Mbps up).
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    ESO 101
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited August 2020
    remsleep said:
    Aeander said:
    They really just need to do everything they can to eliminate the animation canceling shenanigans that make this game a complete joke.

Every time animation canceling is taken out - combat gets really dull and boring for me

Animation canceling shenanigans is what makes combat skill ceiling higher and gives a lot more options for skilled play.

That's just my preference.

what is animation canceling? my guess is if it helps server lag it'l lbe the first thing they do because usually mmo's--esp. mmo's--error on the side of caution--meaning they appeal to casual audiences that want gameplay skill ceiling eased. i consistently see this in game development. it's more prevalant in mmo's because it's a shared multiplayer space.

same thing happens when you stuff people into a room. they're forced to adopt community rules and commonality. in the absence of a privacy, the common denominator takes over. for games, this leads to them appealing to the largest audience stuffed into their room--and otherwise appealing to common denominators.

many players play mmo's to get a sense of achievement. this isn't possible if the skill ceiling is too high. a high skil ceiling means only a select group of players reach the pinnacle of achievement. so it's lowered and they find ways as game developers to incite players play for other reasons whilst creating the illusion of achievement--nevermind almost everyone has the same achievements, barring time. everyone can be at the top if they have time. but evne time is problematic, so some games are turning to cash shops and rest experience so nobody feels underachieved.

in the end games are just illusions meant to entertain us. what's unspoken is genuine competition and achievement are HARD. to be at the top is HARD. it's not fun. it's somethign else. not every game is about creating merely entertainment or fun, but most are.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on