Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

These New MMO Will Fail 2020

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
YashaXGdemamiircaddictsIselindragonlee66

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    He has covered a lot of the games that we are looking forward to. There are also some games like Project Gorgon which is already out. I don't think he is really wrong though. They might attract people but not enough to be massively multiplayer. That is the main problem about the games he covered they aren't going to do really well as an MMORPG.

He also mentions Crowfall and Camelot Unchained. I am not sure about those two but it does not look good for those two either.
    MikehaNanfoodleAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Crowfunded hype fatigue is real.

Privately funded games developed mostly in secrecy, time their progressive reveal of features and game play footage to maximize hype at or near release.

Crowdfunded games rely on hype to raise funds during development and that hype is just not sustainable even if the game is a good one. They all just feel like yesterday's news after a while with the over-saturation of forced reveals of even the most trivial of updates.
    NanfoodleMendel[Deleted User]bcbullyYashaX[Deleted User]Azaron_NightbladeAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited July 2020
    Almost all of these still look better than the eastern MMOs you hyped up. Except for Blue Protocal and PSO2 New Genesis - those look legit.

The east makes better single player games, but man do they suck at online games.
    AlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    This isn't a very good video. 

Pantheon won't launch in 2020, Project Gorgon is it's own unique thing, a passion project for the devs Camelot Unchained won't launch in 2020, 

Elion won't fail because of a slightly older engine. If it fails it will fail because of game play.

Crowfall is still being developed. Wait until it releases then say it doesn't run well. 

I don't know "tem tem" or whatever it is but I don't see why it can't just be "social." Doesn't need to have "world bosses" or "World PvP." It can be its own thing.

Nanfoodle[Deleted User]YashaXAlBQuirkyLackingMMOAmathe
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Sovrath said:

Pantheon won't launch in 2020, Project Gorgon is it's own unique thing, a passion project for the devs Camelot Unchained won't launch in 2020, 

Elion won't fail because of a slightly older engine. If it fails it will fail because of game play.

Crowfall is still being developed. Wait until it releases then say it doesn't run well. 

I don't know "tem tem" or whatever it is but I don't see why it can't just be "social." Doesn't need to have "world bosses" or "World PvP." It can be its own thing.

Also, Tem Tem is already, definitively not a failure. It's already wildly exceeded beyond expectations, and it's exactly what was pitched.
    SovrathNanfoodle[Deleted User]YashaXAlBQuirkyLackingMMOAmathe
    tzervo said:
    Aeander said:
    Also, Tem Tem is already, definitively not a failure. It's already wildly exceeded beyond expectations, and it's exactly what was pitched.
    He has a fetishism with MMORPG semantics.

For example about Tem Tem advertising itself as an MMORPG, he could argue that this is mislabeling, but mislabeling != game gunna fail. That's a totally false logical jump.

Video sounds just like a rant based on his preferences, even if some of his points make sense.
    That isn't what he said though . He said Tem Tem didn't have what it takes to be a successful MMORPG because it didn't have a lot of the elements in place for an MMORPG interaction but he does not mean that it would not  be successful game just not a successful MMORPG. There is a difference.
    MikehaAlBQuirky[Deleted User]kitaradstrawhat0981IsilithTehroth
    Chamber of Chains
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited August 2020
    Sovrath said:

Well you don't pay $40 for a SOCIAL app "TemTem" or you shouldn't be.The Internet which we already pay for is our social playground,FREE to use everywhere.

I don't think the PREMISE of the video was to target 2020 but merely an opinion based video.I mean he basically addresses this very subject in the beginning of the video.
    Failure is in reality a VAGUE term,you can fail the industry,your business and or the gamer.
    The simpletons tend to always just look at the numbers and of course when numbers are good that becomes the MAIN focus of both the developer and the fanbois.

What has been selling and making loads of money is cash shops,the f2p venue,is this really good for gaming,is this what gamer's want,systems that can cost MORE to play a game than simply buying a game?So let's not get fooled by what is making money as being a success.As a mater of FACT there are millions of success stories everyday that NEVER have a single thing to do with money.

Back on the game TemTEm "since devs like to toss around numbers when favorable",they sold MORE than 500k copies and already by end of first month were down to a few thousand players and soon after 1500 or less.The game is a super cheap low budget game so they most certainly succeeded at profits but if all the players leave quickly,you failed the game,the players and longevity of the game.
    With a sudden renewed up from advertising and marketing,TemTem got a few thousand players back but nothing compared to the likely 600k copies sold.

Personally i can see a "potential gem" from no way a gem, almost instantly or just from the marketing video.Simply offering a "social"expereince is something any and all mmo's can offer,what really matters is if the game offers something unique,stylish,with a professional look.

As to the author of that video,make no mistake he is typically a shill and as a matter of fact i called him out on it recently.So although i feel he is likely being a lot more honest with the seldom negative video,i feel he is likely trying to avoid the appearance of being a shill by putting out on of these every year or so.

AlBQuirkyKyleran

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Why even post this garbage video here? He is throwing around outrageous personal beliefs/opinions like they are absolute universal truths. Saying devs of those games "don't listen to players" is complete horse s**t cause some of them REALLY do and work really hard sometimes even when it works against their interests. This guy needs to stop the molly for a couple months before making his next video cause he is basing too much of what he says on emotion and not actual personal experience. Not once did I hear in that video "my experience playing this game". The only game he mentions playing is WoW and in the first 3 minutes states WoW features are what other MMO's should have and is basing the "MMO experience" off his experience in WoW. At the end he says we should band together behind the ones that are "truly truly good and truly have a chance". Predetermining their failure which not a single person on earth can do and then having the gall to pass judgement on which ones are "good" assuming everyone has the same taste in everything. His remarks about Project Gorgon clearly proves he has never played the game so why even listen to someone commenting about games they haven't played?

I'd rather watch a youtube video about how much Amazon/Blizzard/Gamigo sucks by Remsleep/DMKano every day of the week while punching myself in the face than suffer through another minute of this guy.
    YashaXPanzerbeorne39AlBQuirkystrawhat0981dragonlee66
    edited August 2020
    tzervo said:
    cheyane said:
    tzervo said:
    Aeander said:
    He has a fetishism with MMORPG semantics.

For example about Tem Tem advertising itself as an MMORPG, he could argue that this is mislabeling, but mislabeling != game gunna fail. That's a totally false logical jump.

Video sounds just like a rant based on his preferences, even if some of his points make sense.
    That isn't what he said though . He said Tem Tem didn't have what it takes to be a successful MMORPG because it didn't have a lot of the elements in place for an MMORPG interaction but he does not mean that it would not  be successful game just not a successful MMORPG. There is a difference.
    His video is titled: 
    These New MMO Will Fail 2020
    I watched the video and didn't notice his title. He should have titled it differently because his video is his opinion on why they fail as MMORPGs. 
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyMikeha
    Chamber of Chains
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Ah, yes... The "Doom and Gloom foreseers" are coming out. What is it with "gamers" and their need to "predict" things, either success or failure? Just so in 1 year they can say, "See?!?!?!?!! I TOLD you so!!!11!!1!11!"

[Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    How can he fault Pantheon for having a low player population when the game is still in alpha? 
    AlBQuirkydragonlee66

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Amathe said:
    How can he fault Pantheon for having a low player population when the game is still in alpha? 

Or releasing in 2020?  2021 is only 5 months away.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Amathe said:
    I don't have the energy to go back and watch that because the summer heat is killing me. I have no idea how people enjoy this season it is the absolute worst.

I thought he said the number of views on the videos that Pantheon had put up were low, did he also say the game had a low population or based on the views he predicted it would be low?
    AlBQuirky

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Predicting new MMORPGs will fail is like buying a lotto scratch off ticket and saying... I predict I'm not going to win the big prize. :D   
    [Deleted User]achesomaAlBQuirkydragonlee66YashaX
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Just a click bait video. As everyone pointed out, these games aren’t launching in 2020. Then he proceeds to talk about them as if they already launched. The guy sounds like he got all his info from reddit posts and just regurgitated what he read. 
    AlBQuirky
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    kitarad said:
    Amathe said:
    I don't have the energy to go back and watch that because the summer heat is killing me. I have no idea how people enjoy this season it is the absolute worst.

I thought he said the number of views on the videos that Pantheon had put up were low, did he also say the game had a low population or based on the views he predicted it would be low?
    Even that is a screwed view though, i wont watch the streams live or on youtube because they are so dull and boring. Cant expect people to watch an hour of monotone people, much easier to catch the notes after.
    AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    What does the OP think? Don't just post a video, this is not Twitter, we want to know what you think. :)
    AlBQuirkyMendel[Deleted User]YashaX
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Scot said:
    What does the OP think? Don't just post a video, this is not Twitter, we want to know what you think. :)
    Exactly! A few posters seem to think we want to read or hear what people not on this site think. I'd much prefer to read/hear what posters here think :)

The guy who made this video is not here to explain, defend, or accept feedback What's the point?
    Mendeldelete5230[Deleted User]Scot

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scot said:
    Exactly! A few posters seem to think we want to read or hear what people not on this site think. I'd much prefer to read/hear what posters here think :)

The guy who made this video is not here to explain, defend, or accept feedback What's the point?
    I've always thought that posting a link to a video with no text of your own whatsoever was a chicken shit way for the poster to keep his/her options open to react with the flow after they see which way the reactions go :)
    [Deleted User]ScotAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    edited August 2020
    Crowfall, Dual Universe, New world, Camelot unchained...all of these will flop based on what I played. Star citizen I think won't ever flop because it will never be released and they already have 500 mil. Kickstarter/crowdfunded mmorpgs are a let down and really the only one I am interested in is Profane and even then they probably won't make a good mmorpgs either.
    Post edited by IsilithTehroth on
    AlBQuirky

MurderHerd

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Iselin said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scot said:

I've always thought that posting a link to a video with no text of your own whatsoever was a chicken shit way for the poster to keep his/her options open to react with the flow after they see which way the reactions go :)
    It's better than the normal Asian "random crap" the OP post.
    AlBQuirky