Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel's Avengers Looks...Good?

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageMarvel's Avengers Looks...Good?

With the release of the July War Table, I think I've finally crossed into highly anticipated territory with Marvel's Avengers. The game looks well-polished at this point and the team's willingness to show a good deal of gameplay (and allow players to play through a solid chunk of content in the beta) inspire confidence in me that Crystal Dynamics may have something solid on their hands.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Looks like a more fleshed out anthem with more popular characters, which is a good thing. It just needs to continue adding compelling content over time and it'll do just fine.
    TacticalZombehFedaygin
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I ALWAYS thought it looked good. 

I'll be playing Iron Man, Thor, and Hawkeye.

Add Star Lord, Dr. Strange, Daredevil, Winter Soldier, Spiderman, and some X-men, please.

Utinni said:
    Looks like a more fleshed out anthem with more popular characters, which is a good thing. It just needs to continue adding compelling content over time and it'll do just fine.
    I liked Anthem. Or what little there was of it. The gameplay was awesome. It just needed more polish and a lot more to do.
    ZenJellyStoneRosesFedayginMrMelGibsonArglebargleHuntrezz
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I'm going to wait and watch some streamers play it before getting hyped. I'm worried about the monetization and replayability.
    BruceYeeTacticalZombehMrMelGibsonstrawhat0981
  • Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Looks interesting, inclusion of Kamala Khan (Ms Marvel) in the lineup as a character in initial line up given hardly anyone will know who she is smacks of a patronizing diversity inclusion as she was an "avenger" in a panned series for a few brief months.
    ZenJellyStoneRosesAeanderHuntrezz
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Looks interesting, inclusion of Kamala Khan (Ms Marvel) in the lineup as a character in initial line up given hardly anyone will know who she is smacks of a patronizing diversity inclusion as she was an "avenger" in a panned series for a few brief months.
    I have been reading comics of that character since I was a kid. She is far from new. 
    maskedweaselrkipCatibrie
    edited July 2020
    It's so far off from a pandering inclusion.

If anything, it feels like the game's story is written around Ms. Marvel, not the other way around. She is the MOST central to the story they are trying to tell, and it's pretty obvious that it would not work without her.
    NanfoodleZenJellyHuntrezz
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Nanfoodle said:

I have been reading comics of that character since I was a kid. She is far from new. 

Just to clarify: the Ms. Marvel you read was likely Carol Danvers, who is now Captain Marvel. Ms. Marvel is now Kamala Khan, a different person with different powers.

TokkenScotmmolouMrMelGibsonstrawhat0981rkip

Might want to check your facts there, bud. Kamala Khan is incredibly popular.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/ms-marvel-sold-half-million-trade-paperbacks/
    ZenJellyBabuinixMrMelGibsonrkip
    I will say that I really approve of their decision to include Kamala. She's a bright, lovable character who is essentially Richard Reed with a personality.

Actually, when I told my brother she'd be the main character, he was ecstatic. He mained in her MUA3.
    maskedweaselMikeBZenJelly
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    MikeB said:

Nanfoodle said:

Just to clarify: the Ms. Marvel you read was likely Carol Danvers, who is now Captain Marvel. Ms. Marvel is now Kamala Khan, a different person with different powers.

Technically if he was 18 or 19 now, that could still work since Kamala Khan has been around for the creater part of the last decade.

That being said, she's probably one of the most recognizable Inhumans right now, outside of maybe Blackbolt, Medusa and Quake. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited July 2020
    MikeB said:

Nanfoodle said:

Yup and as always comic retell the same story with retelling that have a new twist. Everything is constantly changing in comics, even their powers. Superman to start could not fly, just leap building in a single bound. We have Green Lantern now as a black guy who likes guys. Venom is now an anti hero. Lex Luthor was a red head monk and now can fight Superman toe to toe and is bald. Ms Marvel is not new to the Marvel Universe as they tell a new story. 
    Catibrie

Nanfoodle said:

MikeB said:

Nanfoodle said:

Yup and as always comic retell the same story with retelling that have a new twist. Everything is constantly changing in comics, even their powers. Superman to start could not fly, just leap building in a single bound. We have Green Lantern now as a black guy who likes guys. Venom is now an anti hero. Lex Luthor was a red head monk and now can fight Superman toe to toe and is bald. Ms Marvel is is not new to the Marvel Universe as they tell a new story. 

Kamala Khan's story is definitely unique.
    ZenJelly
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Note to other developers.  That is how you create a video.  Professional actor, not talking heads.  Scripted message that makes its points and moves along, accompanied by some animated examples.

I had (and have) significant doubts to weather I would like this, but I almost want to check it out.  Even if their 'Beta' has all the points I attribute to a 'Launch'.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Bleeding Cool is a crap site to use for anything.
    rkip
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Wait a minute right there...

We are going to question the FIRST time one of these super hero games looks like a professional studio made it "good OR bad"but praised all the utter crap in previous years...seriously?

I am not a big super hero fan when comes to gaming and i think that is because in all the past years everything has looked like a super cheap cash grab.So the whole genre has jaded me and all the cheap ass dev studios are to blame.
    This game even if i choose to play it or not,does at least look pretty cool,pretty good,imo the FIRST super Hero game that looks worth buying.Everything prior and YES including even the recent Spiderman game you couldn't pay me to play those games.This game has visuals effects better scenery ,yeah it looks worth playing.

Looking over the studios,it looks to be a collaboration of 2 SE studios and the purchased Eidos Tomb Raider studios.It smells of EFFORT and that is a positive in the gaming industry in 2020 moving forward.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• enesisxlr8enesisxlr8 Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Decided to preorder after there last awesome video. Reminds me of Anthem / Div / Marvel Heros

Finally a game to look forward to... please dont change the release date! *cough* *cough* new world
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Everyone should just keep in mind that Marvel does shut down more of their online games than they keep up. They have no problem stopping service for any reason even when there was hardcore whaling going on so just a warning. If you think because it has nice gfx and the devs spent years developing the game all that is meaningless to the mouse.
    FrodoFragins
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    This comment is not in bad way or light. When i first heard about this game was excited, then found out Khan was the main character then felt let down because when i think avengers i want to play as either thor or hulk. Now seeing gameplay and the way missions are and how the flow is I'm more than happy buying this!

Basically reminds me of a more mature version of the lego games :-) If you got kids you know what i mean haha!
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited August 2020

Nanfoodle said:

MikeB said:

Nanfoodle said:

Yup and as always comic retell the same story with retelling that have a new twist. Everything is constantly changing in comics, even their powers. Superman to start could not fly, just leap building in a single bound. We have Green Lantern now as a black guy who likes guys. Venom is now an anti hero. Lex Luthor was a red head monk and now can fight Superman toe to toe and is bald. Ms Marvel is not new to the Marvel Universe as they tell a new story. 

Back in the day the changes were not made to convey political messages, today that's all these "new twists" seem to be used for.

Indeed, what occurred in the past could be seen as power progression or in fact power inflation. So I don't think you are comparing like with like here.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Scot said:

Nanfoodle said:

MikeB said:

Nanfoodle said:

Back in the day the changes were not made to convey political messages, today that's all these "new twists" seem to be used for.

Indeed, what occurred in the past could be seen as power progression or in fact power inflation. So I don't think you are comparing like with like here.

Comics, ESPECIALLY back in the day, were made to convey political messages.
    MikeB[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    edited August 2020
    Sometimes their diversity characters work and attract a cult following (Miles Morales, Kamala Khan, Spider Gwen), sometimes they don't (Riri Williams and the new New Warriors). 

So, I'm not going to entertain the argument that diversity in comics is bad. But I'm also not going to celebrate it as inherently good. A good comic is a good comic and a bad comic is a bad comic, regardless of intent.

The X-men are one of the most popular comic book franchises ever, despite being an allegory for oppressed minorities. We loved them then. We still love them today. They're fucking awesome, and the only threat to their popularity has been a lineup of mediocre movies that didn't embrace the inherent campness of their concept.
    Scotrkip
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    If it's as good as the latest SpiderMan game this series will print money.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Utinni said:

Scot said:

Nanfoodle said:

MikeB said:

Nanfoodle said:

Yes, but eventually we got past the second war and I would not say comics after that were any more political than any other form of fiction. What is happening now is a hallmark of the last decade and no doubt this one.
    Tuor7
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Aeander said:
    I will say that I really approve of their decision to include Kamala. She's a bright, lovable character who is essentially Richard Reed with a personality.

Actually, when I told my brother she'd be the main character, he was ecstatic. He mained in her MUA3.
    Maining Ms Marvel, now if that doesn’t sound like an adult movie...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Ridelynn[Deleted User]angerbeaverTuor7
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Utinni said:

Scot said:

Nanfoodle said:

MikeB said:

Nanfoodle said:

In the 70's and 80's it was story with a side of politics...now it is politics with a side of story and lots of restarts of failing series.  Marvel and DC are failing due to lack of good stories.  You can get away with a lot if you have engaging characters and good stories.  You can throw a lot of political messages in.  

Manga and indy comics are growing.  
    ScotTuor7