Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Large database for each server realm ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
This really is a question, I don't know
It's my understanding most if not all mmorpgs have identical replicas for each server/realm, including the environment and creatures. 

The only thing missing are the players and their inventory.

But with Ashes of Creation their will be constant change in it's environment........ How will this be stored in each realms database memory ?
Sounds like a lot of work, hardware and up-keep. 

Short story,
MY friend at work downloaded a Vanilla World of Warcraft emulator.  This emulator came with the entire stagnate world that included all the creatures.  He was able to manipulate creatures damage and drops, his own characters armor and weapons and inventory, but NOT THE ENVIRONMENT, that was fixed.  He could never get the game to work online to allow friends, but that's besides the point.

The point is the world was a fixed copy..... Easy to make copies for multiple realms/ servers. How will this work with an ever changing environment ? 

Seems to me most mmoprgs,  characters and inventory are the only thing needed in a database.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    It's my understanding most if not all mmorpgs have identical replicas for each server/realm, including the environment and creatures. 

But with Ashes of Creation their will be constant change in it's environment........ How will this be stored in each realms database memory ?

Short story,
    MY friend at work downloaded a Vanilla World of Warcraft emulator.  This emulator came with the entire stagnate world that included all the creatures.  He was able to manipulate creatures damage and drops, his own characters armor and weapons and inventory, but NOT THE ENVIRONMENT, that was fixed.  He could never get the game to work online to allow friends, but that's besides the point.

The point is the world was a fixed copy..... Easy to make copies for multiple realms/ servers. How will this work with an ever changing environment ? 

Seems to me most mmoprgs,  characters and inventory are the only thing needed in a database.
    My guess is Ashes is desgined differently than World of warcraft. I imagine very differently since it is a "newer" game.

There is probably a data base for each server world that records what is going on.
    delete5230
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Simple,they would have save states every so often,example in Atlas it auto saves the state every 7 minutes.
    There would be a BASE file that never changes and then files that determine what items and objects go where.The Base file would simply be the entire game/world without any change,just the simple starting place as if the game just launched.

Anyhow your question was timed saved states,that is how.I am sure there might be other methods that i don't know about.

So for example if i run my own Atlas server and it crashes ...A LOT,like everyone else lol,it will restore to the last 7 minute phase and then likely crash again lol.

delete5230

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited July 2020
    Sovrath said:

Short story,

My guess is Ashes is desgined differently than World of warcraft. I imagine very differently since it is a "newer" game.

There is probably a data base for each server world that records what is going on.
    My guess its just like said in @Sovrath post. My guess would also the back up mirrors would be backing up as changes happen. Or at set times of the day. Depending on how they do it, if something critical happens. There could be a server roll back. That would end up being more dramatic then in a typical MMO where just some character progression is lost.  
    Catibrie