Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - In A Content Drought, Players Are The Oasis

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - In A Content Drought, Players Are The Oasis

From roleplaying to real graduation ceremonies, FFXIV's players made Victoria's wait between patches lively and better than bearable.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

trying to jump in an old MMO like this one is overwhelming

there is just too much content to do to catchup and play with the playerbase

this is why MMO genre as we know it is dead

expansions shouldn't split communities

instead they should put everyone on the same area, new starting zones for old and new players, so people can play in together no matter what

a bit like how PoE is doing with leagues and the upcoming PoE 2, new campaign = everyone start from fresh

FF14 isn't PoE, not same genre, so maybe some stuff could be adapted

but i reiterate, the current formula is dead, it has show its weaknesses

The reason this game thrives is because the community. I've played many MMOs over the years (B2P,F2P, P2P) and very few I've come across these days has a community as welcoming and helpful as this one. GW2 would be another. So while you may think overall the MMO genera is dead, games are boring, FFXIV is doing fine it seems. Honestly this game really brings me back to the good old days of MMORPGs when people put effort into their characters and the lives they create for themselves in an online world.
    ZenJellyGormogonBuschkatzethighhighsRoin
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    edited July 2020
    This game isn't really *old* though.

Also I have yet to see wakes and vigils and protests such as the ones mentioned here, in other mmos like ESO, WoW and so on. I do know LOTRO has had them in the past, but they still have quite a big RP group too. I'm gonna re-sub again when I can afford it, I miss my cat-girl.
    TillerZenJellyBuschkatze
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146

foxgirl said:

This game isn't really *old* though.

Also I have yet to see wakes and vigils and protests such as the ones mentioned here, in other mmos like ESO, WoW and so on. I do know LOTRO has had them in the past, but they still have quite a big RP group too.

I'm gonna re-sub again when I can afford it, I miss my cat-girl.

There was a vigil a couple weeks ago for a WoW player who killed himself. IT was massive. hundreds of players. It happens in many games. FF14 is not the first one or the last one to do it.
    Buschkatze
  • bgzgamerbgzgamer Member UncommonPosts: 127
    ffxiv is one of the best, if not the best mmorpg's on the market today. I love the Shadowbringers story.. and only hit 80 recently. Im trying to catch up for the patch and the yokai watch event :)
    BuschkatzethighhighsRoin
  • marcio519marcio519 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Seems a great mmo, yet i'm trying to get hooked but i just can't get over the global skill cd in this game.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited July 2020
    marcio519 said:
    Seems a great mmo, yet i'm trying to get hooked but i just can't get over the global skill cd in this game.

It gets faster for most classes. By 80 you should be constantly busy dodging, hitting skills, chaining and combo'n all while watching target casts. It gets pretty hectic.
    Buschkatzemarcio519riningear
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Tiller said:

instead they should put everyone on the same area, new starting zones for old and new players, so people can play in together no matter what

a bit like how PoE is doing with leagues and the upcoming PoE 2, new campaign = everyone start from fresh

FF14 isn't PoE, not same genre, so maybe some stuff could be adapted

but i reiterate, the current formula is dead, it has show its weaknesses

The reason this game thrives is because the community. I've played many MMOs over the years (B2P,F2P, P2P) and very few I've come across these days has a community as welcoming and helpful as this one. GW2 would be another. So while you may think overall the MMO genera is dead, games are boring, FFXIV is doing fine it seems. Honestly this game really brings me back to the good old days of MMORPGs when people put effort into their characters and the lives they create for themselves in an online world.

Absolutely! The fact that the game calls for expansions, for people to rise up to "catch up" so to speak, is a core part of how this game works, and how the community gets built and develops. The same was true of FFXI. The moment they did away with the things that encouraged meaningful discourse between players and true collaboration in FFXI was the moment the game began to fall apart (Abyssea). I don't play FFXI or FFXIV anymore, but I do play Guild Wars 2 regularly, and can attest to the fact that the buy to play nature of the game, the "fee" to entry, is a core reason why the community has remained as amazing as it has.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Not everyone likes doing leagues though. I started a standard character and the economy in Standard for items is crazy it seems. Maybe it is just because I am new, but things seemed unreasonably expensive unless you had been farming currency for 2 years lol. Not the exact same, but just mentioning as a point to POE has issues for new people vs people playing for 5years now.