Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LG UltraGear nano IPS 38GL950G-B monitor

Abscissa15Abscissa15 Member UncommonPosts: 69
edited July 2020 in Hardware
Can anyone who has this monitor comment on your satisfaction in gaming please ? I am considering this on my next build and holding out for an OLED is a waiting game that will probably carry on too long to be practical for me - not interested in a 55" "monitor". Thanks.

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I don't own that monitor, but:

I'd question if it's worth the extra price over this:
      https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34gn850-b-gaming-monitor

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    remsleep said:
    Can anyone who has this monitor comment on your satisfaction in gaming please ? I am considering this on my next build and holding out for an OLED is a waiting game that will probably carry on too long to be practical for me - not interested in a 55" "monitor". Thanks.

OLED is being dumped by manufacturers as they transition to microLED

So don't hold your breath for OLED

Also oled burn in is real
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/7/24/21336883/lg-display-oled-panel-manufacturing-plant-tv-china-lcd

Agree with not holding your breath but I wouldn’t exactly call OLED dead and dying either
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited July 2020
    I'll tell you in a week. Just order a LG 38WN95C-W which is the same panel for a professional setting with HDR600 instead of a high refresh rate. This means it uses 10-bit color instead of 8-bit and a different backlight array.
  • Abscissa15Abscissa15 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Thank you all for the feedback - waiting for the 38WN95C-W experience.
  • AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    I strongly looked at this monitor, especially with the x1600 height. At the end of the day was too rich for me so I went with this ultrawide https://us.aoc.com/en/gaming-monitors/cu34g2x which I am currently really enjoying (managed to get it for $510 on sale)

• tomahawk1930tomahawk1930 Member UncommonPosts: 43
    I strongly looked at this monitor, especially with the x1600 height. At the end of the day was too rich for me so I went with this ultrawide https://us.aoc.com/en/gaming-monitors/cu34g2x which I am currently really enjoying (managed to get it for $510 on sale)
    I just want to say I love your avatar. Was a big fan of Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors back in the day.
    AmazingAvery
  • tomahawk1930tomahawk1930 Member UncommonPosts: 43
    I just want to say I love your avatar. Was a big fan of Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors back in the day.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Alright, just got the monitor, and didn't mess with the settings. Here are a few things I notice.
    First... Compared to my old monitor. It was an LG 27" 4k display from 5ish years ago costing around $600 with no HDR.
    The text is more blurry, but that is to be expected moving from a much higher pixel density.
    The auto brightness is not as bright as what I typically set my monitor to, but that's probably because I set the brightness too high.

Second... On using the monitor quick things I noticed.
    I thought I had backlight bleed, but it was a black background and my mouse pointer was in the area so the backlight array made it brighter.
    NOTHING is scaled to 21:10. This page takes up maybe 1/3rd the width of my monitor.
    Out of the box it sets itself to 120hz 3840x1600 with a DisplayPort 1.4 connection. I think to set 144hz you need to do something special.
    I cannot set it to DCI-P3 out of the box, I will need to see how you do that.

Third... The reviews on your particular monitor.
    People complain about the fan noise.
    It has a review on LTT that goes into depth on issues when trying to get the fastest response time.

If you do decide to go with this monitor, I suggest waiting for the 38GN950G-B which is the successor for this monitor and coming out soon. If anything it will reduce the price of the GL. I would also see if they still have issues with the cooler fan. I think most monitors that are over 144hz with a VA or IPS panel has a cooling fan. When I was shopping for this monitor I was also looking at the Samsung Odyssey G7 and G9. Although this monitor has decent contrast, the Odyssey models have 3 times the contrast level at the cost of color accuracy. I think they also have cooling fans that may be problematic.
    Abscissa15AmazingAvery
  • Abscissa15Abscissa15 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Thanks Cleffy - a wealth of good info. I may very well wait to evaluate the successor. Since this is not a prime time to begin a system build (CPU giants are near the edge of new product releases i.e. Q4 via the grapevine), I'll bide my time and keep my eyes open. Thanks again.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Cleffy said:

NOTHING is scaled to 21:10. This page takes up maybe 1/3rd the width of my monitor.
    Web pages, productivity programs and such will never really be scaled to 21:10. It's just too wide. Text that uses normal sized font becomes harder to read if the lines are allowed to grow that long.
    Ozmodan

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Sorry, tried a widescreen monitor.  They are just too wide and have no depth of screen.

I have found that 32" displays are MUCH better.  They have more depth which means far less scrolling.  You will not like the widescreen.

• youngdaniilyoungdaniil Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited January 2023
    I can definitely understand wanting to upgrade your gaming setup. I haven't personally used the LG UltraGear nano IPS 38GL950G-B monitor, but I would suggest checking out some reviews online before making a decision. Try looking for honest reviews on websites like https://zumroad.com/sport. I always check them out when a new gadget is released or whenever I want to buy something new for myself. I find those reviews helpful and honest. It's always a good idea to see what other gamers have experienced with a product before making a purchase.

Post edited by youngdaniil on