Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO tests turn-based combat to fix lag

YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
Good news folks, ZOS has decided to try out turn based combat to see if they can reduce the lag in Cyrodill:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/539136/update-on-cyrodiil-performance-upcoming-aoe-tests

As part of our ongoing performance optimizations, we have been spending a lot of time analyzing and addressing problems in Cyrodiil. I'm going to give a summary of what has happened over the years, what we have been doing to alleviate the problems, and our future plans.

When talking about ESO server performance, it is important to understand that all abilities in the game (with some exceptions) have a "soft" limit on the number of times they can be executed. An example of a "hard" limit on an ability is an ability that can be executed one time every two seconds, enforced by the server. ESO doesn't have many of those. Instead, we designed the game to have soft limits, which mean you can execute as many abilities as you want as long as you have the resources - Stamina or Magicka - to cast them. There is a global "cool down" timer on all abilities, which is set to 1000 milliseconds.

The design goal of soft limits in any game is to allow players to create builds that let them execute abilities more often depending on build choices made, and not to have hard ceilings on damage or healing per second. This gives a lot of control to the player, which makes for a really fun and interesting system, but it can lead to situations where players cast too many abilities too quickly (and continuously) if strict limits on resources are not enforced.

Over the years, player power has grown considerably. With the addition of the Champion System, various armor/weapons sets, and changes to abilities, we have reached the stage where players - with the right build - can cast near-infinite numbers of abilities. If you add in a properly managed group, with some focused on damage and some focused on healing and regen boosts, you have a perpetually running never-ending stream of abilities.

With that in mind, consider how Area of Effect (AOE) abilities work: when cast, they look at a specific target area - almost always the area directly around the caster - find targets, and perform the ability. Each of those steps requires server calculations.

At launch, Cyrodiil’s processes were able to keep up with the number of AOEs cast, because most players couldn’t cast that many of them: they ran out of Magicka or Stamina, so they had to use AOEs judiciously. Over time, as player knowledge grew and regen builds grew in power, more players could cast more and more AOEs before running out of resources.

During these years, we found and fixed many performance issues in Cyrodiil, and we continue to do so. We've fixed significant issues, uncovered more, and continue to find and fix with every Update.

However, one foundational issue remains. At some point, we crossed a threshold where most players in PvP were able to cast endless AOE abilities, without ever running out of resources. This is done through player knowledge, builds and group mechanics – resulting in a constant stream of AOEs with many players never using any other type of ability.

This is not what we intended, but part of the fun of Elder Scrolls games is designing a build that has unexpected and powerful results, and we allowed it. However, as this behavior grew more prevalent, we reached a point where casting so many continuous AOE abilities in such a small area started to overwhelm the server process for that area, leading to situations where the "lag meter" spikes and the server becomes unresponsive for a period of time.

Our initial response to this problem – starting with Update 22 – was to find (and fix) more than a few problems with AOE ability calculations and make them more performant - and we stayed (mostly) ahead of the problem. But as more players reached maximum Champion Level and more players started utilizing this particular method of "AOE spamming", we have reached the point where we cannot fix this issue around the edges: we need to address the core problem, which we will be starting with Update 27.

To do this, we will need to first do some analysis, and we can only do this on the live servers. As much as we try to avoid running tests on live servers, they are the only place where the combination of player behavior, specific builds, and mass battles happen. So, starting the week of August 24, we will be running a series of tests on the live PC servers – both NA & EU, only in Cyrodiil. Please note that we will not be running these tests on any Console servers. Each test should take about a week, but if needed, we will extend the testing time.

The first round of tests we are planning will focus on Area of Effect (AOE) abilities in Cyrodiil and will make it more difficult for AOE abilities to be the only abilities used, adjusting cooldown, cost and regen values of all AOEs (damage and healing).

Specific details on the tests we will be running in Cyrodiil are as follows:
  • Test 1 – Shared global AOE cooldown - 3 second timer. This test adds a global 3 second shared cooldown to any AOE ability. This means that when you cast an AOE, you will not be able to cast another for 3 seconds. For example, as a Templar, if I cast Ritual of Retribution, I wouldn’t be able to cast Puncturing Sweep for 3 seconds.
  • Test 2 – Individual AOE cooldown - 3 second timer. This test adds an individual AOE cooldown to each AOE ability. This means that when you cast an AOE, you will not be able to cast that same AOE ability for 3 seconds. For example – as a Templar, if I cast Puncturing Sweep, I wouldn’t be able to cast Puncturing Sweep again for 3 seconds.
  • Test 3 – No cooldown, global ramping AOE cost. This test adds a global ramping AOE cost for each AOE cast. Similar to how streak or roll dodge works, where when you cast an AOE you receive a debuff for 5 seconds, each stack of the debuff increases the cost of any AOE cast.
  • Test 4 – Individual AOE cooldown – 3 second timer, global ramping AOE cost. This test adds an individual AOE cooldown to each ability as in test 2, but also combines that with a global ramping cost from test 3.
During the times that any of these tests are active, we will be awarding double Alliance Points for anyone active in Cyrodiil.

After we complete the above tests, we may try other combinations of cooldown, cost, and regen values on AOE abilities. However, we need to run these tests first and then assess the data. We will then let everyone know what we found and how we will move forward. We will be very upfront, but please be aware that if these tests confirm our hypothesis, then chain-casting AOE abilities will no longer form the core of the ESO PvP experience in the way it has for the last few years. We would then go through each class and ensure that there are viable builds for each and make adjustments as necessary.

Iselin[Deleted User]Kyleran[Deleted User]Amathebcbully

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Umm... that's not what "turn based" means :)

They're just adding cool downs and progressively increasing resource cost to combat AOE spamming.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]NyghthowlerKyleranBrainykitaradNanfoodleboris20Babuinix[Deleted User]and 7 others.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Iselin said:

They're just adding cool downs and progressively increasing resource cost to combat AOE spamming.
    LOL when I first read the headline, I thought it was moving to something like Civilization.  I was wondering how that would work.  Didn't sound good.
    YashaXFedayginGorwedragonlee66
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Right you are.  So, NOT turn based then.  That's a relief!
    Fedaygin
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I.E. we don't know how to make a game with more then 2 players online and have an action combat system? Give me a break...
    Fedaygin[Deleted User]
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I left because of performance problems. I was unable to play Cyrdiil for almost 3 months. I had enough. I hope they get this fixed. 
    Fedaygin
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    They really just need to do everything they can to eliminate the animation canceling shenanigans that make this game a complete joke.
    Nanfoodle[Deleted User]jitter77[Deleted User]Fedaygin
    Aeander said:
    They really just need to do everything they can to eliminate the animation canceling shenanigans that make this game a complete joke.
    That would lower the input lag by a large %
    [Deleted User]Fedaygin
    remsleep said:
    Aeander said:

Every time animation canceling is taken out - combat gets really dull and boring for me

Animation canceling shenanigans is what makes combat skill ceiling higher and gives a lot more options for skilled play.

That's just my preference.

If your combat system is so bad that it requires an exploit to work, you need a new combat system.

Also, not everything that makes your game more skillful makes it better. In fact, it often does the opposite.

I could program my MMO to require a Dance Dance Revolution style quick time event every time I want to use a skill. That would certainly make the game harder to play. It would also make the game suck.
    SovrathMendelYashaXGdemami[Deleted User][Deleted User]Gormogon
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Certainly an interesting move, and I'll agree, this is not a switch to turn-based combat, simply adding in more cooldowns to reduce the server load.

From the endless complaints about server performance in Cyrodiil, I can only assume this will be a good thing in general. Given that Cyrodiil is the only thing that makes ESO an MMO, it should definitely be a priority!
    Fedaygin
    edited July 2020
    remsleep said:
    Aeander said:

Every time animation canceling is taken out - combat gets really dull and boring for me

Animation canceling shenanigans is what makes combat skill ceiling higher and gives a lot more options for skilled play.

Animation canceling is needed for some things. Like using a skill and now someone is attacking you. So animation canceling to dodge is needed. Problem with ESO is everything uses animation canceling. Its over done. The game is no longer about combat skill but how good you can animation cancel to chain every skill into a long line of non stop death. This is a big part of lag because everyone's builds are built this way. So the number of keystrokes are crazy when you think of large scale battles. Adding cool down times to skills will do nothing if animation canceling is still in play. 
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Minor prediction.  Adding a cool-down timer won't fix a universal performance problem.  At best, it can hope to reduce the lag *within the constraints of the current population*.  If they hope to have more people participating in Cyrodill, there will be a increased number of characters casting AOE spells at one time.  At some point, the server will have as many AOE calculations as is believed to be causing the performance issue, just split across more players.

In my opinion, adding cool-down timers is a solution that doesn't scale.

Kyleran[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Nanfoodle said:
    remsleep said:
    Aeander said:

Animation canceling is needed for some things. Like using a skill and now someone is attacking you. So animation canceling to dodge is needed. Problem with ESO is everything uses animation canceling. Its over done. The game is no longer about combat skill but how good you can animation cancel to chain every skill into a long line of non stop death. This is a big part of lag because everyone's builds are built this way. So the number of keystrokes are crazy when you think of large scale battles. Adding cool down times to skills will do nothing if animation canceling is still in play. 
    I can't claim to be a fan of arbitrary "it's awkward because skill" mechanics in any genre, even fighting games.

One of my favorite parts of Smash Bros. is just how simple and intuitive the controls are. It's all about being good at the game, not being good at the controller. And I really hate how some of the new characters (Ryu, Ken, and Terry) brought all that special input nonsense into the game.
    Nanfoodle
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I see turn based and think Knight to Queen's Bishop 3.  Or woot I  finally landed on Park Place. Time for me to build some houses bishes. 

This must be different.
    AlBQuirkyAsheram

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Iselin said:

Yeah, obviously a clickbait title. Anyone who has played in the CP campaign during prime time would know that turn-based combat has been a feature for quite some time now.
    GdemamiGormogon
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    yeah, I was terrified when I saw Rich's post lol.. but this is actually just "Hey AoE spammers, you are breaking our game, glad you are having fun, but we gotta nip ya."

It actually should help a ton with performance. I think its a good call. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2020
    1 They sort of get it !
    2 They are basically in a nutshell talking about not having a "handcuffed" combat system,something i have mentioned a lot over the years.
    3 Full turn based=no timers,you can go bake a cake and come back and nothing has happened and to that i say hell NO.
    4 Answer>>FFXI ,slower combat,tons of action reaction with slower timers.You can make your resources last a long time which doesn't handcuff combat.
    5 FFXi is the perfect example of how to make a game work because it had to work,multi platform and for the PS2.I have personally played seeing pings over 400,NO OTHER game can be played with that type of ping,so yeah take a look at how FFXi does it,IT WORKS.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    remsleep said:
    Aeander said:

There are two types of animation cancelling.
    - Cancel to abort an action as an reaction to the enemies action, e.g. cancelling your long animation attack to block an enemies attack
    - Cancel to just shorten the time of the animation to do more damage over time than when letting the animation finish

While the first one is totally ok and is e.g. what makes M&B, Mordhau, Chivalry combat so good the second one is just stupid imho.

It should be an action-reaction system with clear consequences for cancelling and not just cancel to do MOAR DAMAGE which is ESOs system
    YashaXGdemamiAlBQuirky[Deleted User]NyghthowlerGormogon

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    remsleep said:
    Aeander said:

- Cancel to abort an action as an reaction to the enemies action, e.g. cancelling your long animation attack to block an enemies attack
    - Cancel to just shorten the time of the animation to do more damage over time than when letting the animation finish

While the first one is totally ok and is e.g. what makes M&B, Mordhau, Chivalry combat so good the second one is just stupid imho.

It should be an action-reaction system with clear consequences for cancelling and not just cancel to do MOAR DAMAGE which is ESOs system
    Technically there is only one type of animation canceling: you can either cancel out of a skill animation or you can't.

Many games have canceling that makes no sense to abuse because if you cancel you lose the effect of what you canceled. That is done by the simple method of calculating and applying the effect of the skill only if the skill animation is completed.

ESO's problem and why it leads to canceling abuse to increase DPS is that they calculate and apply the effect at the beginning of the animation so there is zero penalty for canceling it early.

They have the ability to change that any time they want since they already have many skills in the game, all channeled skills, that work by having several "ticks" that are calculated at different times in the channeling animation. When you cancel out of those skills, which you can do, you get the partial effect of only the ticks that were counted before you canceled.

All they need is the will to do it - to change when in the animation the effect is calculated and applied.

That wouldn't slow down just AOE spam but all skill spam since no one would cancel for any reason other than legit defensive reasons if canceling meant a DPS loss.
    YashaXGdemamiAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BlazerXBlazerX Member UncommonPosts: 86
    edited August 2020
    LOL what a joke with those of you who actively promote the BULLSHIT that is Animation Cancelling.  For fuck's sake you can just program that shit into a mouse like a macro.   There is no "skill" that is involved in that shit show at all. IT IS AN EXPLOIT.  DEAL WITH IT.

Hell I might even try this again if they EVER take this shit out.
    GdemamiYashaXeoloe
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    BlazerX said:
    LOL what a joke with those of you who actively promote the BULLSHIT that is Animation Cancelling.  For fuck's sake you can just program that shit into a mouse like a macro.   There is no "skill" that is involved in that shit show at all. IT IS AN EXPLOIT.  DEAL WITH IT.

Hell I might even try this again if they EVER take this shit out.
    Hey. 
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Iselin said:
    remsleep said:
    Aeander said:

Technically there is only one type of animation canceling: you can either cancel out of a skill animation or you can't.

Many games have canceling that makes no sense to abuse because if you cancel you lose the effect of what you canceled. That is done by the simple method of calculating and applying the effect of the skill only if the skill animation is completed.

ESO's problem and why it leads to canceling abuse to increase DPS is that they calculate and apply the effect at the beginning of the animation so there is zero penalty for canceling it early.

They have the ability to change that any time they want since they already have many skills in the game, all channeled skills, that work by having several "ticks" that are calculated at different times in the channeling animation. When you cancel out of those skills, which you can do, you get the partial effect of only the ticks that were counted before you canceled.

All they need is the will to do it - to change when in the animation the effect is calculated and applied.

That wouldn't slow down just AOE spam but all skill spam since no one would cancel for any reason other than legit defensive reasons if canceling meant a DPS loss.
    His first example isnt an abuse, you would understand if you played any of the 3 games he listed. Its called a feint, trick your enemy into thinking you are attacking in 1 direction by canceling attack by hitting the block button. It is also useful in stopping an attack that might hit a team mate as they have friendly fire too.
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    Brainy said:
    Iselin said:

LOL when I first read the headline, I thought it was moving to something like Civilization.  I was wondering how that would work.  Didn't sound good.
    Sure is a clickbait and a half! Regardless, I deeply dislike always online. I don't want my fun to depend on net stability, international protests, climate etc. I just want to game and have fun on my own terms.
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited August 2020
    Gorwe said:
    Regardless, I deeply dislike always online. I don't want my fun to depend on net stability, international protests, climate etc. I just want to game and have fun on my own terms.

This is my current "where is gaming going?" fear. In the USA, we have data caps, crappy unreliable infrastructure, and monopolies that make "always online" not as pretty as most marketers make it out to be.

I really don't know what I'll do if gaming keeps going this way...
    GorweHawkaya399

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    AlBQuirky said:
    I really don't know what I'll do if gaming keeps going this way...
    ...you will find out soon.
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    3 sec global CD on AOE abilities... 3 secs is a lifetime in PVP.  It's not not you have 20 other skills equipped either in ESO to choose from... compared to other MMOs.

I'm not saying this is game breaking or anything, but they are basically nerfing classes/playstyle... not for balance, but because of server issues.  

Game was built around 2012?  Upgrade the servers and code.  

Warhammer private server has sometimes 600v600 battles in one area, and the code isn't even optimized for multithreading.  But the devs were able to get it running smoothly with zero budget, but some hard work.
    GdemamiYashaX