Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG with huge farming(gold farming/crafting material) aspect?

ExercisExercis Member UncommonPosts: 3
hey,
ive played Metin2 back then ( maybe someone remembers ). You could always farm to get better items, you literally never had the best weapon. There was always the possibility to farm more money to get a better weapon(items). You had to spent a lot of time to farm for gold and sell those items. Level up your skills took ages without using itemshop. This kind of grinding is what i liked. And i like that the abilitys had different looks ( you could see if it is maxed out or still at 60%). This would be a great to see in another mmorpg aswell, but its not a must have. I like to do some PvP too, but most of time i like to farm and go for better gold, new cosmetics and stuff like this. I like to get rare stuff and good items. I dont like PvP if it is like WoW PvP, where everyone has the same items. I like fair and skill based fights, but i kinda like gear>skill too sometimes.
Metin2 would be the best game, i kinda look like a "new and popular" game thats exactly like metin2. Maybe a bit less P2W than Metin2. But this game is kinda dead so im looking for a game which is kinda popular. Are there any games out there like ive described?

Thanks for time and suggestions :)

Comments

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    If you can't find an MMO like that, try Stardew Valley.  That game is made out of farming gold, farming actual plant-growing-type-farming, farming fishing, and you can indeed buy better weapons to kill monsters in the mines with.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • JakkssJakkss Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I know this is off topic but I didn't think I'd find someone who also played Metin2 on this forum. You could try TERA, but all the crafting is outdated and... I don't think they will do anything about it. Perfect World is also dead but it HAD a good crafting system back in 2008... Mmmm... I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I just decided to install Aion to give it another go.
  • coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,827
    Lineage 2 Classic. Subscription based MMORPG with no cash shop.

It has much more hardcore rates than the original L2 (C1-C4). I think it is the grindiest game ever made :).

Super rare gear, endless grinding for crafting mats (all gear craftable), spell books, recipes, experience,....

Also, you can make a "Spoiler" class which is a character that has an ability to spoil monsters to get extra loot which you would otherwise not be able to obtain from them.
  • VardahothVardahoth Member RarePosts: 1,472
    Lineage 2 Classic. Subscription based MMORPG with no cash shop.

It has much more hardcore rates than the original L2 (C1-C4). I think it is the grindiest game ever made :).

Super rare gear, endless grinding for crafting mats (all gear craftable), spell books, recipes, experience,....

Also, you can make a "Spoiler" class which is a character that has an ability to spoil monsters to get extra loot which you would otherwise not be able to obtain from them.
    Or if you life in the USA (Lineage 2 Classic not available), you can try Lineage 2 warland private server (interlude - 2006). Pretty much everything he said...

I Quit.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/436845/page/1 -> http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/436845/what-killed-mmorpgs-for-you/p1

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2316034
    Retired Gamer: all MMORPG's have been destroyed by big business, marketing of false promises, unprofessional game makers, and a generation of "I WIN and GIVE ME NOW" (brought to you by pokeman).

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,534
    ArcheAge is all about farming, both literally from things you plant as well as other components needed for upgrading your gear. It's pretty hard to get the best items in the game. Takes a ton of farming and grinding, as well as quite a bit of luck with all of the RNG.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    From what you described OP BDO would be the best option for you. I've heard stories at least that to get the BiS you have to grind quite a bit and there is PvP.
  • coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,827
    Keep in mind though that both, ArcheAge and BDO have aggressive cash shops.

"Aggressive" being subjective here. Maybe for some other people, the cash shops are not that bad. Nevertheless, there have been numerous discussions about the games and their "P2W" nature. There are some useful videos on youtube explaining how the cash shops in these games work.

All I am saying is that before jumping into any of those games, check out their monetization models. You specifically mentioned that you are looking for something "less P2W" than Metin and I am not sure these games would meet this condition. I never played Metin though. 
  • ExercisExercis Member UncommonPosts: 3
    NPCPak said:
    I know this is off topic but I didn't think I'd find someone who also played Metin2 on this forum. You could try TERA, but all the crafting is outdated and... I don't think they will do anything about it. Perfect World is also dead but it HAD a good crafting system back in 2008... Mmmm... I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I just decided to install Aion to give it another go.
    Try BlackDesert.. it has the same P2W aspect, but grinding is like in Metin2.

I bought Black Desert and need to say its super good.. about the p2w aspect.. yea it is p2w. But at least you got the chance to buy stuff in auction house, even tho its luck based.
    Are there any MMORPGs with that grind aspect coming out in the future?(i guess ill stick with BlackDesert from now on, but i would still like to be a part of the first hours of a new mmo).
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Earlier I would reccomend game with player-driven economy, no cash-shop and sometimes really hard grind for resources.

Istaria.

Some recipes are monster-drop only, so you need luck to get that one you need. Then, materials that can be harvested from nodes or from monsters (golems, walking trees). Highest tier require special crafting armour and sometimes - good protection (from monsters).
    Since everything is playe-driven, best equipment used to drop from end-game areas or be crafted by some kind player. When I played Istaria, one of my clan members supplied me with two very good weapons and few pieces of quality armour.
    Money (in my times) was always a headache. You get loot, you sell it to NPC or post at auction. As a Dragon - you need lots of loot for your own hoard. As a biped - you need stuff to sell to NPC.

Right now Istaria became pay-to-play (f2p can advance to lvl.20 only). In my times population was low, yet very loyal and helpful.
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member UncommonPosts: 548
    edited July 28
    Exercis said:
    hey,
    ive played Metin2 back then ( maybe someone remembers ). You could always farm to get better items, you literally never had the best weapon. There was always the possibility to farm more money to get a better weapon(items). You had to spent a lot of time to farm for gold and sell those items. Level up your skills took ages without using itemshop. This kind of grinding is what i liked. And i like that the abilitys had different looks ( you could see if it is maxed out or still at 60%). This would be a great to see in another mmorpg aswell, but its not a must have. I like to do some PvP too, but most of time i like to farm and go for better gold, new cosmetics and stuff like this. I like to get rare stuff and good items. I dont like PvP if it is like WoW PvP, where everyone has the same items. I like fair and skill based fights, but i kinda like gear>skill too sometimes.
    Metin2 would be the best game, i kinda look like a "new and popular" game thats exactly like metin2. Maybe a bit less P2W than Metin2. But this game is kinda dead so im looking for a game which is kinda popular. Are there any games out there like ive described?

Thanks for time and suggestions :)

Me and you are similar. it's rare i read a post and almost completely agree with it. you aren't by chance drawn to sandbox open world gaming? I think i was always attracted to sandbox games/mmo/mmorpg.

i don't like it when a game is too manufactured or engineered or designed or balanced or preconfigured or gamey. ironically, i keep going back to something sid meier said years ago during a talk. he said to the effect "i don't like games with too little direction. or too many choices. you shouldn't have to find the game. you shouldn't have to make it. it should be ready to play." i disagreed. even strongly. he was going against the principles he stood by when he was a young game maker. why does it seem aging game designers become bloated with an incination to overdesign. they're trying to make the perfect game, but sometimes i think "flaws" in a game are good. i think young designers will always have the upper hand, mostly because they don't know how to do it yet, and it's their ignorance that makes them strong.

my recommendation is stay away from aaa. it's pervasive.

but why? do i feel this way? i think because i'm not really looking for a game. i'm looking or a world. and a world is full of flaws. it's full of gaps and emtpy places. it's full of frustration. it's full of things that aren't fun. but it's a world. that's immersive to me. it's amazing. to be thrown into something not necessarily desinged for your enjoyment, with almost nothing and somehow figure it out on your own or with some buddies. the good and the bad. bad people and good people. it's not a game i was exclusively looking for. games, by themselves, are shallow.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on