Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The RPG Files: Ghost of Tsushima Review

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Oh yeah and the mongol archers are polite enough to say duck in their language right before they fire at you even if none of their companions are still alive.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited July 2020
    The reviewer over on Eurogamer seems less enamored with the game than Joseph appears to be.

They don't give scores but I'm thinking they would be closer to @blueturtle13 's 7.5 based on the final summary.

"It's desperately frustrating, because I maintain that Ghost of Tsushima is still, largely, quite fun. The problem is it's an easy, breezy, lite beer kind of fun - the kind that Sucker Punch is known for, after all - and the blanket genericism of it just doesn't sit well against such a po-faced tone. It's another game fallen victim to the palatability blender, coming out the other side as a slightly formless smudge of every genre, without a mastery of any. Going back to Ghost of Tsushima's roots, as an American game inspired by the comics and the movies of Japan, in a way it's quite apt. It's what happens when you want to pay homage, but don't want to add anything new of your own. It's Hollywood."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-14-ghost-of-tsushima-review-a-likeable-if-clunky-hollywood-blockbuster

AsheramYashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    Kyleran said:
    The reviewer over on Eurogamer seems less enamored with the game than Joseph appears to be.

They don't give scores but I'm thinking they would be closer to @blueturtle13 's 7.5 based on the final summary.

"It's desperately frustrating, because I maintain that Ghost of Tsushima is still, largely, quite fun. The problem is it's an easy, breezy, lite beer kind of fun - the kind that Sucker Punch is known for, after all - and the blanket genericism of it just doesn't sit well against such a po-faced tone. It's another game fallen victim to the palatability blender, coming out the other side as a slightly formless smudge of every genre, without a mastery of any. Going back to Ghost of Tsushima's roots, as an American game inspired by the comics and the movies of Japan, in a way it's quite apt. It's what happens when you want to pay homage, but don't want to add anything new of your own. It's Hollywood."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-14-ghost-of-tsushima-review-a-likeable-if-clunky-hollywood-blockbuster

I bought it and the camera position is terrible you can really get hosed fast by it. My review is its ok I wish I liked it more. The combat when the camera is not being screwy os good the visuals on the ps 4 pro are good and the story is good. The camera really hurts it for me. Maybe they can patch it or make a change.
    Asheram
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I’ll be playing Deadly Premonition 2, the ultimate anti AAA Hollywood game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AeanderAsheramSovrath
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Oh my lord
    lahnmir
    Asheram said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Oh my lord
    I LOVE Deadly Premonition, best writing in the industry, absolutely genius  <3

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AsheramSovrath

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited July 2020
    Mine came in late yesterday. I've been having a good time so far.

What I like most is that it strikes a brilliant balance between giving me direction to objectives (which I need) and a minimalistic UI that lets me appreciate the world as I follow the wind. The guiding wind is absolutely brilliant and actually makes the game even more beautiful in motion.

The camera has stuck out as the biggest problem to me. And it absolutely amazes me how all of these decades later, the most fundamental part of gaming is so consistently botched by so many games.

I completely disagree with all of the popular youtubers saying this is the "best Assassin's Creed." Even the modern AC games have more functional stealth map design. And when you do go into combat, the AC games have far better combat, whereas this falls apart when large groups of enemies are involved. Plus, the modern AC games have more satisfying gear and slightly more compelling skill trees. And then there's Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor/War, which put both franchises to shame.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    YashaXAsheram
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Asheram said:
    Game is really good so far. I'm enjoying myself.(only about 4 hours in so far)
    The world and setting is good. Graphics are really great. Gameplay is like most third person open world games.
    Not as good as Shadow of Mordor to me. 
    I would give it a 7.5 out of 10
    I would rate it a bit higher but it plays very similar to many other games I have already played.
    Yet good fun.
    I agree, the world feels alive like RDR2.
    But there are also alot of annoying mechanics too and some story parts I have issue with dont want to spoil though.
    You are on a quest which they call a tale and take a few to many steps from area get get a 5-15 second timer says leaving tale area and miss getting back in time have to start the whole sequence over.
    Enemies seem very unintelligent seems they cant hear much or see very far so easy backstabs.
    Jin cant ride horses, only can ride the forever horse you get (guess he cant die like in RDR2) plus he cant swim either so there are invisible walls like horse cant cross river til he gets past that IW to an area that has land spots.
    Also foliage areas that you would think you can go through but nope invisible wall.

Not that far into it hope that though maybe it gets better as you go along.

edit: some horses can be rode it seems maybe I was in a tale/quest mode why the little circle indicator for mounting them didnt show.
    Jin can swim! i swam a few times now lol. And the leaving quest area is on the main stuff. 

This game is very similar to RDR2, if you liked that game then this game is right in line to your liking.

Im digging the stances too.
    Asheram said:
    The world and setting is good. Graphics are really great. Gameplay is like most third person open world games.
    I would rate it a bit higher but it plays very similar to many other games I have already played.
    Yet good fun.
    But there are also alot of annoying mechanics too and some story parts I have issue with dont want to spoil though.
    You are on a quest which they call a tale and take a few to many steps from area get get a 5-15 second timer says leaving tale area and miss getting back in time have to start the whole sequence over.
    Enemies seem very unintelligent seems they cant hear much or see very far so easy backstabs.
    Jin cant ride horses, only can ride the forever horse you get (guess he cant die like in RDR2) plus he cant swim either so there are invisible walls like horse cant cross river til he gets past that IW to an area that has land spots.
    Also foliage areas that you would think you can go through but nope invisible wall.

edit: some horses can be rode it seems maybe I was in a tale/quest mode why the little circle indicator for mounting them didnt show.
    Jin can swim! i swam a few times now lol. And the leaving quest area is on the main stuff. 

This game is very similar to RDR2, if you liked that game then this game is right in line to your liking.

I did not like RDR2 at all, but I find this enjoyable.

The difference is the type of details that each emphasizes. Ghost of Tsushima knows when to sacrifice realism for the player experience. For example, looting in Ghost of Tsushima doesn't have a long animation like in RDR2, and you can even do it from your horse.
    Asheram said:
    Yet good fun.

I meant his horse sorry, I tried to cross a river and the horse couldnt go in, was like a invisible wall, I had to ride shore til I found a bridge or a shallow part that had patches of land that made a crossing.

Arterius said:
    I don't know what it was about Ghosts but I think it may be the worst Playstation exclusive, IMO. I think the combat is really great and the game looks amazing. The story and the open world is just lack luster. I have played for about 10 hours or so and quit. Selling my PS4 Pro. The PS4 had a good run though. I will remember the gen memorably. Now it's time for the Xbox Series X.

With Devs talking about how much creative freedom Microsoft is giving them because of Gamepass I am super excited for Thursday's show. I love Playstation and will be getting a PS5 a year after launch but these last four or five exclusives felt very samey to me. Think its the reason I am excited by Ratcet and Clank now more then ever. A PlayStation exclusive that is not a Open world game.

P.S. Before people say it. I know The Last of Us Part 2 was not an open world but it felt like it had some of the same problems considering how big the environments were.
    God of War wasn't an open world game, and it was amazing. The best PS4 exclusive, not counting the third party Persona 5, IMO. 

Also, I'm predicting that the Xbox showcase will suck. Because Xbox's lineup has sucked for a really long time. And I'll buy the line that they give their developers creative freedom when they stop misusing Rare and almost killing studios like Platinum and Obsidian with canceled contracts.
    YashaX
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    This game has the same score as FFXV, big laff.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I've never heard of it (or maybe I don't remember) UNTIL NOW!

The trailer is awesome. Thanks!
    lahnmir
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Combat summed up if GoT 
    Zegaloth said:
    Aeander said:
    Arterius said:
    I don't know what it was about Ghosts but I think it may be the worst Playstation exclusive, IMO. I think the combat is really great and the game looks amazing. The story and the open world is just lack luster. I have played for about 10 hours or so and quit. Selling my PS4 Pro. The PS4 had a good run though. I will remember the gen memorably. Now it's time for the Xbox Series X.

With Devs talking about how much creative freedom Microsoft is giving them because of Gamepass I am super excited for Thursday's show. I love Playstation and will be getting a PS5 a year after launch but these last four or five exclusives felt very samey to me. Think its the reason I am excited by Ratcet and Clank now more then ever. A PlayStation exclusive that is not a Open world game.

P.S. Before people say it. I know The Last of Us Part 2 was not an open world but it felt like it had some of the same problems considering how big the environments were.
    God of War wasn't an open world game, and it was amazing. The best PS4 exclusive, not counting the third party Persona 5, IMO. 

Also, I'm predicting that the Xbox showcase will suck. Because Xbox's lineup has sucked for a really long time. And I'll buy the line that they give their developers creative freedom when they stop misusing Rare and almost killing studios like Platinum and Obsidian with canceled contracts.

God of War is my pick for best game this gen. The Last of us 2 is probably my least favorite game of this generation. They managed to prove that good graphics only go so far without some stellar gameplay, and a decent story to back it up.

I also really enjoyed Spider Man, Days gone was pretty low on my list, I dunno if they ever fixed the performance issues, but it was pretty much unplayable on my PS4 Pro, not sure how base systems handled it, but I was getting some major FPS issues.

I am going to be picking up a PS5, and probably avoiding the Series X entirely. I already have a PC, and since they release a good portion of their games on PC through Gamepass. I see no reason to pick up the Series X at all.

PS5 exclusives though...
    Days Gone really is a painfully generic, underwhelming game. And yet it still looks downright appealing next to Microsoft's zombie exclusive, State of Decay.

I simply cannot believe that many of the former GW1 developers are wasting their talents on State of Decay. It hurts me.
    Zegaloth said:
    Aeander said:
    Arterius said:

God of War is my pick for best game this gen. The Last of us 2 is probably my least favorite game of this generation. They managed to prove that good graphics only go so far without some stellar gameplay, and a decent story to back it up.

I also really enjoyed Spider Man, Days gone was pretty low on my list, I dunno if they ever fixed the performance issues, but it was pretty much unplayable on my PS4 Pro, not sure how base systems handled it, but I was getting some major FPS issues.

I am going to be picking up a PS5, and probably avoiding the Series X entirely. I already have a PC, and since they release a good portion of their games on PC through Gamepass. I see no reason to pick up the Series X at all.

PS5 exclusives though...
    Days Gone really is a painfully generic, underwhelming game. And yet it still looks downright appealing next to Microsoft's zombie exclusive, State of Decay.

I simply cannot believe that many of the former GW1 developers are wasting their talents on State of Decay. It hurts me.
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I'd give it a 8/10. The AI are pretty bad and the stealth play is god awful. needed more time to cook. Rest is amazing. SOme of the best combat I've had to privilege to play. Boss fights are fun. Becomes very easy half way through the game even on Hard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

For all I've said on the game, there is something compelling about it, because I've finished most of the game. The PS4 doesn't track hours played that I'm aware of, but I played pretty much non-stop from Sunday-Wednesday.

I think that for everything the game does well, there's also a caveat. And because it does so many things well, I have a lot of good and bad to say.

The world is beautiful and expansive, but it's full of Ubisoft-style formulaic content.

The skill tree has quite a few fun things to play with, which is good. But it's one of those soft RPG systems where you eventually unlock everything and become a jack of all trades, which is bad.

The gear lets you define a playstyle, which is good. But the content often locks you into moments which require a gear swap (ie: swap to Samurai Clan Armor for boss battles), which is bad.

The story takes bold risks, but it only makes sense if you play Jin dishonorably/pragmatically like I have. If you choose to play Jin honorably, his later decisions are out of character. On the flip side, the game locks you into honorable duels with no way to cheat them if you happen to be playing Jin dishonorably.
    AsheramYashaX
    edited July 2020

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Aeander said:
    For all I've said on the game, there is something compelling about it, because I've finished most of the game. The PS4 doesn't track hours played that I'm aware of, but I played pretty much non-stop from Sunday-Wednesday.

I think that for everything the game does well, there's also a caveat. And because it does so many things well, I have a lot of good and bad to say.

The world is beautiful and expansive, but it's full of Ubisoft-style formulaic content.

The skill tree has quite a few fun things to play with, which is good. But it's one of those soft RPG systems where you eventually unlock everything and become a jack of all trades, which is bad.

The gear lets you define a playstyle, which is good. But the content often locks you into moments which require a gear swap (ie: swap to Samurai Clan Armor for boss battles), which is bad.

The story takes bold risks, but it only makes sense if you play Jin dishonorably/pragmatically like I have. If you choose to play Jin honorably, his later decisions are out of character. On the flip side, the game locks you into honorable duels with no way to cheat them if you happen to be playing Jin dishonorably.
    Yeah it tries to Ubisoft the gameplay loop but does not do it justice.
    I, as well as millions of others, very much enjoy the Ubisoft gameplay loop and they have perfected it per their respective franchises. This game makes a good go of it but lacks the freedom of gameplay choice that a Far Cry or Assassin's Creed does. Of course it falls way short of the stellar and genre defining Shadow of Mordor/War games or even another WB Games title Mad Max. (Which was almost criminally under-rated)   
    Overall the further I got into the game the more disappointed I became with it. 
    It is not a bad game it is just a good game.  My first impression score was a 7.5 out of 10.
    My finished game score is a 7 out of 10. 
    Get it on sale.  
    Together with “Citizensplaining” “Ubisofting the gameplay” is the best phrase of the year, so recognizable.

I must ask though, is it Ubisofting the old way, or is it Ubisofting the new way? Because I hated what Ubisoft did for many years and only with AC: Odyssey and Division 2 did their games gain identity and fun again (for me of course).

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Wizardry said:

I watched several review videos and i got a very clear picture something sketchy is going on.

There is a very clear and present accent on the "looks great" the "atmosphere" is great.There are times when you can just tell someone is exaggerating to be a shill and i got that feeling often

from all reviewers.

It is tough in an internet chat box to fully explain the why and why not's in deciphering chit chat and the game.

So before i try and explain why i think the game is an absolute sham,i truly got the feeling either Sony or Sucker Punch really got some shills on board to hype their half assed game.

The world:predominantly empty,boring.

hand holding/immersion breaker:The obvious reason for them to guide you directly to where you need to go,the world is boring.

When your world is mostly empty it is a heck of a lot easier to exaggerate the flowing grass animations and blowing leaves,a LOT easier.All that sea of white flowers or red flowers is actually easier on the rendering.Point is that even the constant theme of promoting the "world looks great"is exaggerated.

Combat:can't hide bodies to avoid detection.We can do this in Dishonored but not in this game,more corner cutting.Combat is more like your Souls games,all about timing,either an easy stealth kill or counter your foes attacks with timing.

Character building,world life is very lackluster.Overall personally this game offers me nothing at all,nothing is well done.My take on the game's early hype,well Sucker Punch began marketing this 3 years ago,so they have spent a lot of money to make sure this half assed game gets more hype than it deserves.

3/10 =not worth playing,not worth buying.

This aged like milk lol.

This guy is never happy though.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited July 2020
    lahnmir said:
    Aeander said:

I, as well as millions of others, very much enjoy the Ubisoft gameplay loop and they have perfected it per their respective franchises. This game makes a good go of it but lacks the freedom of gameplay choice that a Far Cry or Assassin's Creed does. Of course it falls way short of the stellar and genre defining Shadow of Mordor/War games or even another WB Games title Mad Max. (Which was almost criminally under-rated)   
    It is not a bad game it is just a good game.  My first impression score was a 7.5 out of 10.
    Get it on sale.  
    Together with “Citizensplaining” “Ubisofting the gameplay” is the best phrase of the year, so recognizable.

I must ask though, is it Ubisofting the old way, or is it Ubisofting the new way? Because I hated what Ubisoft did for many years and only with AC: Odyssey and Division 2 did their games gain identity and fun again (for me of course).

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Its a little bit like the newer AC games but with less grinding and possibly more focus. You are role playing a samurai so you only use a katana and a bow, but for various reasons you will be forced to learn some sneaky/assassination-type skills.

The Japanese voice acting of the main character is done by the person who plays Zoro from the anime One Piece, which I think is really fitting.
    YashaX said:
    lahnmir said:
    Aeander said:

Get it on sale.  

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Its a little bit like the newer AC games but with less grinding and possibly more focus. You are role playing a samurai so you only use a katana and a bow, but for various reasons you will be forced to learn some sneaky/assassination-type skills.

The Japanese voice acting of the main character is done by the person who plays Zoro from the anime One Piece, which I think is really fitting.
    He also voiced Mugen from Samauri Champloo.
    YashaX