Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shroud of the Avatar Gives a Sneak Peak at Their PvP Queue System

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageShroud of the Avatar Gives a Sneak Peak at Their PvP Queue System

The Shroud of the Avatar team has provided a sneak peak on their PvP queue system in their latest community update.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Game is dead. Devs.. correction , the dev is milking the whales.
    I still wonder why we're still talking about this trash..
    McSleazgastovski1Agent_Joseph

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited July 2020
    Because only SotA and Albion Online have launched, for all the issues those games have that's still an achievement.
    BruceYeeLeFantome
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Shoot the corpse again Timmy, I can still see it twitching....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    McSleazAmathekitaradScotangerbeaverLeFantome
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Is that Skeletor's castle in the pic?
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Yes, yes and yes... finally some battle ground pvp coming. :)
    AegirisMcSleazLeFantome
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    This is really interesting tbh I thought the game was finished.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Amathe said:
    Is that Skeletor's castle in the pic?
    By the power of Grayskull!!
    Amathe
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

Scot said:

Because only SotA and Albion Online have launched, for all the issues those games have that's still an achievement.

Yes, it was an achievement for SotA, back at launch. The game had many differences from the current MMORPG norm, giving a point to playing it despite some lacking elements.

Since then, not so much. Most of the features that set it apart were abandoned or trivialized to broaden appeal. Now the main thing that stands out about the game is how poorly it performs compared to it's contemporary fellows while offering virtually the same experience.

Hopefully Albion Online did and fared better.

BruceYee said:

This is really interesting tbh I thought the game was finished.

It's still wheezing along, and has some faithful players. Be prepared for a less than optimal experience in terms of performance if you give it a go.

I'm not sure the game is going to survive to be honest, but if it does it will be at a pretty niche level. Still, if you don't mind that you may find it of interest. At least you can try it without putting any money up front, unlike when I started.
  • bgzgamerbgzgamer Member UncommonPosts: 127
    what a fucking joke of a game.. chris spears is so far from understanding how to run a fucking mmo, it is laughable.

This has nothing to do with how it performs, or them broadening anything. Chris has flat out said "yeah we arent fixing the core reasons why we only have 20 fucking players because were devoting time to make crown store items because we all have families to feed.. we will just keep piling shit on top of shit until we just blame everything but ourselves for this absolute abomination"

Game has no quest log system, no sense of direction to anything at all, 500 player owned towns that are ghost towns(most of the time, there is jsut dozens of player owned towns everywhere and nothing to actually explore), no hit feedback system, no UI that explains ANYTHING, still has copy/paste "zones" to level in, still the same set of 10 monsters that you see everywhere else, no rewarding loot system, "leveling" consists of everyone standing in 1 spot AOEing liches for no reason at all, quest rewards are non-existent..... how much more do you need?

They completed ZERO of their past 2 quarter goals for content and still didnt fix anything. What the fuck did you do? Host more dance parties? You released a FEW zones to replace your copy/pasta forests littered in the world and made tweaks to abilities and classes... still not focusing on why EVERYONE HATES YOUR GAME.

"uhhh so what do we do then if we arent milking whales with more dance bullshit?" - Make a plan on what you are going to do to fix the problems of the game and ACTUALLY DO IT.

Chris will never own up to the shitshow that the game is. He is along the same level as a trump supporter who refuses to open their eyes and try to know any better about their current surroundings.

This is coming from someone who has devoted thousands$ to the game. Any time i see news about SOTA that isnt fixing the CORE issues with the game, it pisses me right the fuck off.

LeFantome
    bgzgamer said:

This has nothing to do with how it performs, or them broadening anything. Chris has flat out said "yeah we arent fixing the core reasons why we only have 20 fucking players because were devoting time to make crown store items because we all have families to feed.. we will just keep piling shit on top of shit until we just blame everything but ourselves for this absolute abomination"

Game has no quest log system, no sense of direction to anything at all, 500 player owned towns that are ghost towns(most of the time, there is jsut dozens of player owned towns everywhere and nothing to actually explore), no hit feedback system, no UI that explains ANYTHING, still has copy/paste "zones" to level in, still the same set of 10 monsters that you see everywhere else, no rewarding loot system, "leveling" consists of everyone standing in 1 spot AOEing liches for no reason at all, quest rewards are non-existent..... how much more do you need?

They completed ZERO of their past 2 quarter goals for content and still didnt fix anything. What the fuck did you do? Host more dance parties? You released a FEW zones to replace your copy/pasta forests littered in the world and made tweaks to abilities and classes... still not focusing on why EVERYONE HATES YOUR GAME.

"uhhh so what do we do then if we arent milking whales with more dance bullshit?" - Make a plan on what you are going to do to fix the problems of the game and ACTUALLY DO IT.

Chris will never own up to the shitshow that the game is. He is along the same level as a trump supporter who refuses to open their eyes and try to know any better about their current surroundings.

This is coming from someone who has devoted thousands$ to the game. Any time i see news about SOTA that isnt fixing the CORE issues with the game, it pisses me right the fuck off.

For me poor game performance has a great deal to do with it, seeing that it is rather central to playing the game.

I have a quest journal in SotA, so it's there. I can pin what I want to focus on of my available quests to a list on the side of my screen as well, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about here.

There are quest lines for each of the three virtues focused on, and some side quests as well. I didn't find them all that wonderful or plentiful though.

My UI tells me everything I want to know. What do you feel is lacking?

The development is going nowhere fast, that's for sure. They probably have to focus on crown items for the faithful just to tread water at this point, as I highly doubt they are bringing much in the way of new players in.

I'm glad I didn't waste thousands of dollars on it. Sorry for your loss.
  • hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    I backed the kickstarter for $25 and today gave it a first real try and I liked it. Don't know how long till I start to see things that will turn me away, but none on the first day.
    LeFantomestrawhat0981
  • bgzgamerbgzgamer Member UncommonPosts: 127

bgzgamer said:

For me poor game performance has a great deal to do with it, seeing that it is rather central to playing the game.

I have a quest journal in SotA, so it's there. I can pin what I want to focus on of my available quests to a list on the side of my screen as well, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about here.

There are quest lines for each of the three virtues focused on, and some side quests as well. I didn't find them all that wonderful or plentiful though.

My UI tells me everything I want to know. What do you feel is lacking?

The development is going nowhere fast, that's for sure. They probably have to focus on crown items for the faithful just to tread water at this point, as I highly doubt they are bringing much in the way of new players in.

I'm glad I didn't waste thousands of dollars on it. Sorry for your loss.

Sure, I'll bite.

Quest log: There is a journal that writes static messages about who to see. To this day, I have a dozen or so "loggings" of different quests that i cannot move, abandon, find where it came from, if it even gives anything rewarding (it doesnt, besides some lore reading) and most of all, to restart them because the shit is still bugged in the first place. The "log" in place is so absolute barebones system that has deterred the vast majority of players.

UI: Im surprised you asked. Wheres the map? There is none in the game. It is a UI window that loads an external webpage for the map in place and tries to place you where it thinks you are related to it.. and a lot of the times completely bugs out and doesnt work.. or the map is just blank or gives you absolutely no information whatsoever.

What does STR do? What does INT do? What is your percent chance to parry with the parry modifier from something on the talent tree? What LEVEL are you? Do you know how to find that out? Why isn't it obvious what simple statistics of your character can and cannot do wether it be defensive or offensive abilities. Your sword adds a 7% additional proc chance based off dex. What does DEX do initially without the 7% additional effect? These are core values that a player should know to build upon and feel a sort of progression to their character. The UI is so simplistic with so little information, it feels like a damn browser game.

Additionally, the UI looks like absolute ass. It looks like they found some base Unity skins and smeared it together with windows 3.1 border art and called it a user interface. The interface is key to the success of a game. It creates no fantasy immersion. They tried opening it up to the community to take care of the UI for them.. and that has also failed miserably.

I understand that performance is a big deal to a lot of people and I was not trying to downplay that... and SOTA definitely sucks with its poor optimization. But, if there was a decent base game in place but also had poor performance, id take the poor performance over it.

I feel like SOTA has the right core system in place for a great MMORPG, but lacks the leadership and understanding of what players actually want or need in order to stick around the game. The idea behind SOTA is great... the execution of these systems is complete half-assed (not even half assed.. more like 1/16th assed) and they refuse to backtrack and realize the problems to fix them to generate population that comes back.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    queue system for a dead game..great stuff! Guess they are preppin for the big scale up! lol
    LeFantome[Deleted User]xpsync

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Like 9 people play this game....I feel bad for the odd guy left out of the scenario every match.
    [Deleted User]xpsyncstrawhat0981LeFantome
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    All i could think was, is there really so many players there is a need for such a system? The whole game was supposed to be based on old school. Queue systems are not old school.
    LeFantome
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Scot said:

Yes, it was an achievement for SotA, back at launch. The game had many differences from the current MMORPG norm, giving a point to playing it despite some lacking elements.

Since then, not so much. Most of the features that set it apart were abandoned or trivialized to broaden appeal. Now the main thing that stands out about the game is how poorly it performs compared to it's contemporary fellows while offering virtually the same experience.

Hopefully Albion Online did and fared better.
    The story of MMO's today and to a lesser extent all gaming: "Most of the features that set it apart were abandoned or trivialized to broaden appeal."
    bgzgamer

Actually they do exactly that, free (non optimized) unity assets used to build their full game.

They have no gfx designer, never had. So they tried to put together a game with only free unity assets and ask money from us. Most of the players do not know this.

they don't use free non optimized assests rofl. there maybe only a few the rest were built in house. The issue is unity itself is not optimized for this type of game. this is the largest game developed on unity. Not to mention they are no where near the current build of unity which has a lot more GPU threads these days. back when we first started we got 6fps in towns now we get 45fps. Some of the current QA tests on the new unity build have shown a huge improvement. there was also a bug found with the UI and FPS. you can confirm this simply hitting f9 and running around with out he Ui fps go up over 20fps with no hitching.

Hillt

The Quest log I agree is crappy, they have a rework version coming in but it sound like it was only for the ep2 stuff. something to do with how the ep2 npc systems work vs the older system. time will tell. there are still some bugs if you were an old player. new characters do not seem to have the issue where some of us 7+ year people still have some quests that are stuck even though they were completed. a simple message to support and they will fix that up for you.

UI: they are still working on the LUA stuff to unlock the ability for mod makers to build newer interfaces. there are some really good lua which fills a lot of the missing things but nothing to replace skill bar, group stuff etc yet. they have not been as focused on the 2nd phase of the lua as they have been fixing a lot of things the last 2 months rather than pushing out content. Given they have a really really small team they still get a lot done, just not as much as some would like. It looks like ASS as you put it simply because they wanted old school uo like feel not modern. I think it will stay old school even with the changes coming unless a LUA modder makes something better.

performance is a huge one. they have got a lot better than it use to be, and if they can ever get to a more current unity build as well fix the UI fps issue than we will see comparison to more action like mmos. currently if you are in a 8+ man group and you turn off the UI it goes silky smooth in adventure zones. Player towns are still an issue though as there are millions of assests in them... all in good time but it does hurt the game for weaker hardware.

SOTA will get there eventually the biggest issues they have is that the team is very small only a handful so between fixing old systems that are riddled with issues and trying to move things over to new unity builds along with trying to add content and make better content it will be a long struggle. As they found unity does not seem to care about supporting old previous versions it was not designed for long running mmo's with backwards compatibility but more for one time builds on a version which from almost the first year they regret using unity as its been a pain. the problem with switching over to a new engine is the team is too small to do it or they would have looked at unreal which was mentioned a few times in the past.

I will continue to back this game until its done plain and simple and unlike some in this forum that QQ a lot about the state or wishing it failed and die it wont happen because of dedicated people who like myself will keep backing the game development and helping pay those developers on the project so we get the game we wanted which was a successor to UO (Not a single player Ultima game which some figured this would be)

The PVP stuff coming out is only one step in whats they are working on and I fully expect to see the ability for player made CTF, and capture and hold points like other games. pvp mini games help get people into feeling good about pvp stuff which later leads to more contested content all in good time. This alone will increase the population even more.

I don't care to hear steam numbers thrown as the be all, 7+ year I have a friends list larger than many and can see how many people are on at almost any given time. There are approximately 3000-4000 player characters per month that are listed on the leader boards well some for sure are alts. the majority are not. It has been stated and shown in previous streams the numbers and show that it now has growth. well at a slow rate it is still growing and retaining more.

the game itself is what you make of it. Some people adventure, some build communities, markets, pvp areas, and some just simply choose to grind with groups. If people are bored going to one spot grinding than its up to them to stop and do something else. myself I hate grind groups its not playing the game when you are in one area 24/7 trying to level up to someone that has played 7 years lol. than they complain the game is boring and unrewarding... well duh. but that is their style. some just love crafting, some love gathering, some are commodity traders well others are stock marketers. There is something for everyone in the game.

Look forward to what is to come and if there is anything you think the game needs there is a wishlist area in the forums that is long enough to fill a life time but slowly one by one each players desires do trickle in which well some complain about store items and the likes these are wishes of other players who just like you waited to get what they asked for.

Cheers.

Xee of Silverdale Market / Tower of Xee

HilltKyleran
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Xee2018 said:

The Quest log I agree is crappy, they have a rework version coming in but it sound like it was only for the ep2 stuff. something to do with how the ep2 npc systems work vs the older system. time will tell. there are still some bugs if you were an old player. new characters do not seem to have the issue where some of us 7+ year people still have some quests that are stuck even though they were completed. a simple message to support and they will fix that up for you.

UI: they are still working on the LUA stuff to unlock the ability for mod makers to build newer interfaces. there are some really good lua which fills a lot of the missing things but nothing to replace skill bar, group stuff etc yet. they have not been as focused on the 2nd phase of the lua as they have been fixing a lot of things the last 2 months rather than pushing out content. Given they have a really really small team they still get a lot done, just not as much as some would like. It looks like ASS as you put it simply because they wanted old school uo like feel not modern. I think it will stay old school even with the changes coming unless a LUA modder makes something better.

performance is a huge one. they have got a lot better than it use to be, and if they can ever get to a more current unity build as well fix the UI fps issue than we will see comparison to more action like mmos. currently if you are in a 8+ man group and you turn off the UI it goes silky smooth in adventure zones. Player towns are still an issue though as there are millions of assests in them... all in good time but it does hurt the game for weaker hardware.

SOTA will get there eventually the biggest issues they have is that the team is very small only a handful so between fixing old systems that are riddled with issues and trying to move things over to new unity builds along with trying to add content and make better content it will be a long struggle. As they found unity does not seem to care about supporting old previous versions it was not designed for long running mmo's with backwards compatibility but more for one time builds on a version which from almost the first year they regret using unity as its been a pain. the problem with switching over to a new engine is the team is too small to do it or they would have looked at unreal which was mentioned a few times in the past.

I will continue to back this game until its done plain and simple and unlike some in this forum that QQ a lot about the state or wishing it failed and die it wont happen because of dedicated people who like myself will keep backing the game development and helping pay those developers on the project so we get the game we wanted which was a successor to UO (Not a single player Ultima game which some figured this would be)

The PVP stuff coming out is only one step in whats they are working on and I fully expect to see the ability for player made CTF, and capture and hold points like other games. pvp mini games help get people into feeling good about pvp stuff which later leads to more contested content all in good time. This alone will increase the population even more.

I don't care to hear steam numbers thrown as the be all, 7+ year I have a friends list larger than many and can see how many people are on at almost any given time. There are approximately 3000-4000 player characters per month that are listed on the leader boards well some for sure are alts. the majority are not. It has been stated and shown in previous streams the numbers and show that it now has growth. well at a slow rate it is still growing and retaining more.

the game itself is what you make of it. Some people adventure, some build communities, markets, pvp areas, and some just simply choose to grind with groups. If people are bored going to one spot grinding than its up to them to stop and do something else. myself I hate grind groups its not playing the game when you are in one area 24/7 trying to level up to someone that has played 7 years lol. than they complain the game is boring and unrewarding... well duh. but that is their style. some just love crafting, some love gathering, some are commodity traders well others are stock marketers. There is something for everyone in the game.

Look forward to what is to come and if there is anything you think the game needs there is a wishlist area in the forums that is long enough to fill a life time but slowly one by one each players desires do trickle in which well some complain about store items and the likes these are wishes of other players who just like you waited to get what they asked for.

Cheers.

Xee of Silverdale Market / Tower of Xee

If only Lord British had put as much effort into creating the game as you do defending it.
    Kyleran
  • HilltHillt Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Xee is a blind sheep. Like the time he said Player Dungeons, Lua, Obsidian Trials, Inky, Maps, Crafting, and the tons of other systems in this game were supposed to be great and drive in huge amounts of players. HAHAHA

He and Chris are both the laughing stock of the gaming world!!
  • YupmanYupman Newbie CommonPosts: 18
    Chris banned Fizol and others from House of Mangar. Now there is basically no one left to pvp. Great use of resources building a queue system for NO ONE!