Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Obsidian RPG Avowed Announced at Xbox Games Showcase

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited July 2020 in Videos Discussion

imageObsidian RPG Avowed Announced at Xbox Games Showcase

Obsidian has announced Avowed, their next big first-person RPG during Microsoft's Xbox Games Showcase leading up to the launch of Xbox Series X.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Was that a candle or a flaming arrow?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    I agree we learned nothing about the game. Same thing with the fable trailer
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's the latest trend in revealing games: you reveal that a reveal is coming. I think Raph started it for gaming with his reveal of next year's reveal :)

But it's not a new thing in advertising. I still see it with cryptic billboard ads although they at least usually have a date for the real reveal of WTF it is.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815

Abimor said:

I disagree we learned that arrows in the game travel very far.
    infomatzcheyane
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872

Abimor said:

I disagree we learned that arrows in the game travel very far.
    True and that frogs eat fairies

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2020
    That Xbox reveal was sketchy as heck.
    They hyped their own product,the speeches were  prepared and read off some screen.
    I am so proud of our guys yada yada.

Here is what i saw,typically what i expected to see,games that look like they could be made for the present Xbox
    What i see here was more a big showcase to advertise their game pass.The games looked rushed like no more effort put in than the last time like Halo looked imo boring and as i said no effort,a grappling hook,umm yeah exciting.Even the mob Ai was like just run at the player and die.
    Then the Xbox dude comes on and tells us about raytracing and 60 frames per second ,great vistas because you know in an intense shooter people are staring into the sky lol.Speaking of which i didn't see any Zaxis fighting,all the mobs just running along the ground.

Some other game with a chick and some undead wolf,State of Decay that's it,didn't really show us anything expect another game with facial closeups and an empty map that spawns one creature.
    So here is the BIG PICTURE.Does Microsoft or the Xbox team get to brag abotu 60 frames per second if they are making games that could run on older consoles but now have much more power?
    To me it is like showing us Super Mario and bragging it can run at 200 frames per second.What i watched in all those games was pretty much EVERYTHING should EASILY run at 60 frames and even 95% of the time on the present consoles.
    So let's rush out some half assed games to push our games pass and tell everyone how lucky they are to play these games for the price of a pass.
    No matter how you slice it , you cannot beat the pricing but i don't see anything i want to play so how is that a deal plus i am not buying an Xbox...ever.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

remsleep said:

Hard to tell anything from that trailer.

pet peeve - trailers that dont show off gameplay

True.
    But the big reveal was that game will obviously be from first person perspective, like Skyrim. So its kind of a big deal
    Sovrath

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Obsidian has an feminist sjw bent to everything now since outer worlds and I’m not a fan of it. They intentionally said “queens and kings” instead of “kings and queens”. It’s so cringe and forced. Makes me nauseous.
    Considering the volume of bikini armor we usually have in fantasy games, Obisidian's bent is relatively harmless and a lot harder to notice.
    IselincheyaneSovrathTacticalZombeh

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    That is gameplay. You are an arrow.
    Sovrath
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited July 2020
    Obsidian doesn't have to reveal anything to me. I'm just stoked there is something big coming from them.
    Sovrathboris20TacticalZombeh
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

remsleep said:

True.
    But the big reveal was that game will obviously be from first person perspective, like Skyrim. So its kind of a big deal
    I do hope third person is also available. I get headaches in first.
    chrisnyc48Emeraq
    Chamber of Chains
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited July 2020

remsleep said:

It's very informative, if you know Pillars of Eternity lore and are aware that Feargus has been saying since POE1 that he wanted to make a Skyrim-like RPG set in that setting. The game was confirmed to be set in it (Eora).

Just based on the teaser I can infer that the game is set after 2260 AI in Aedyr (required for the undeads to exist). Based on the voice over, it's also after the Aedyr Empire creation in 2399 AI as well (queens & kings + forge our empire). On top of it, it's full of Woedica related stuff (broken crown symbol, oaths, the sword says Oathbinder) and she is mostly worshiped in Aedyr. It also talk about "monsters born of our sins" a clear reference to animancy.

So we are talking about a skyrim-like* game set in Aedyr about 400 years before the first Pillars of Eternity game that will (again) involve the goddess Woedica and animancy...

*Might not be full open-world, as it's not mentioned anywhere to be. **It's a long way off, they only started to work on this late last year.
    GorweRelampago
    edited July 2020

remsleep said:

azarhal said:

remsleep said:

It's very informative, if you know Pillars of Eternity lore and are aware that Feargus has been saying since POE1 that he wanted to make a Skyrim-like RPG set in that setting. The game was confirmed to be set in it (Eora).

Just based on the teaser I can infer that the game is set after 2260 AI in Aedyr (required for the undeads to exist). Based on the voice over, it's also after the Aedyr Empire creation in 2399 AI as well (queens & kings + forge our empire). On top of it, it's full of Woedica related stuff (broken crown symbol, oaths, the sword says Oathbinder) and she is mostly worshiped in Aedyr. It also talk about "monsters born of our sins" a clear reference to animancy.

So we are talking about a skyrim-like* game set in Aedyr about 400 years before the first Pillars of Eternity game that will (again) involve the goddess Woedica and animancy...

*Might not be full open-world, as it's not mentioned anywhere to be.
    **It's a long way off, they only started to work on this late last year.

If they released a 6 hour video talking about lore and showed no gameplay - that wouldnt change my position at all.

Also skyrim like without showing gameplay could mean anything, Witcher is skyrim like, so is Legend of Zelda, and as you said we dont know how open world it will be - so again speculation, we dont know.

All I want to see is gameplay, lore is litteraly the least important thing to me

So again from where I stand "very informative" is an absurd thing to say 

Also 1st person only- huge turnoff 

Witcher and Legend of Zelda aren't Skyrim-like. Both are strictly 3rd person to start with. Witcher is very story based with lots of cutscenes and has poor open world exploration while Skyrim is all about world exploration (or doing whatever you want really). Also, the Witcher 3 open world is designed like a an Ubisoft open world games and that's not like a Bethesda open world at all. Nobody does open world games like Bethesda does (well minus Obsidian with Fallout New Vegas).

Also, by Legend of Zelda I presume you mean Breath of the Wild, because otherwise I'll have to conclude you really don't know what you are talking about. I haven't played it, but from what I saw it's more of an adventure game set in an open world, not a RPG.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

remsleep said:

azarhal said:

remsleep said:

If they released a 6 hour video talking about lore and showed no gameplay - that wouldnt change my position at all.

Also skyrim like without showing gameplay could mean anything, Witcher is skyrim like, so is Legend of Zelda, and as you said we dont know how open world it will be - so again speculation, we dont know.

All I want to see is gameplay, lore is litteraly the least important thing to me

But where he stands very informative = very informative.

I would say I'm in the middle. Game play is NOT the most important thing for me and setting and art design are higher.

And in truth there is a small bit of "game play" with the avatar holding the sword and casting a spell. Which looks very good. I imagine it is in first person given that reveal.

I'm also impressed that he/she knew all that.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    azarhal said:

remsleep said:

azarhal said:

remsleep said:

Witcher and Legend of Zelda aren't Skyrim-like. Both are strictly 3rd person to start with. Witcher is very story based with lots of cutscenes and has poor open world exploration while Skyrim is all about world exploration (or doing whatever you want really). Also, the Witcher 3 open world is designed like a an Ubisoft open world games and that's not like a Bethesda open world at all. Nobody does open world games like Bethesda does (well minus Obsidian with Fallout New Vegas).

Also, by Legend of Zelda I presume you mean Breath of the Wild, because otherwise I'll have to conclude you really don't know what you are talking about. I haven't played it, but from what I saw it's more of an adventure game set in an open world, not a RPG.
    Absolutely this.

I tried playing Witcher 3 like an elder scrolls game and it just didn't work. Once one realizes it's predominantly a quest based game set in an "open world" it plays much better.

Breath of the Wild has Role Playing game elements and does reward exploration but is not like an elder scrolls game.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • chrisnyc48chrisnyc48 Member UncommonPosts: 25

remsleep said:

True.

Skyrim is NOT a 1st Person game. There we were given a choice. To me, 1st Person means a lack of character creation or useless character creation. I'm only barely going to tolerate it in Cyberpunk 2077, but here? I'm really not a fan of playing as a walking camera.
    edited July 2020

remsleep said:

True.

Skyrim is NOT a 1st Person game. There we were given a choice. To me, 1st Person means a lack of character creation or useless character creation. I'm only barely going to tolerate it in Cyberpunk 2077, but here? I'm really not a fan of playing as a walking camera.
    He is talking about camera: First person game means that it uses first person view, meaning that camera is attached to your character's head and you see what your character would see. Whereas third person games use third person viewpoint of someone who'd float in the air and watch your character from outside.
    Post edited by Vrika on

• GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,424
    Sovrath said:
    azarhal said:

remsleep said:

azarhal said:

remsleep said:

Absolutely this.

I tried playing Witcher 3 like an elder scrolls game and it just didn't work. Once one realizes it's predominantly a quest based game set in an "open world" it plays much better.

Breath of the Wild has Role Playing game elements and does reward exploration but is not like an elder scrolls game.
    How do you play a TES game? What are you referring to?
    Iselin
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    cheyane said:

remsleep said:

True.
    Likewise. I typically only used First Person in skyrim when I wanted to use my bow. Everything else, third person!
    chrisnyc48
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    cheyane said:

remsleep said:

True.
    Likewise. I typically only used First Person in skyrim when I wanted to use my bow. Everything else, third person!
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    azarhal said:

remsleep said:

azarhal said:

remsleep said:

Absolutely this.

In TES game you can head to do a quest, but then find some stuff to gather, and a hamlet you want to explore, and get another quest to nearby cave, and need to haul and sell loot, and find another interesting place to explore, and then have some crafting to do.

Then you've played 5 hours and realize you're on the wrong side of the mountain from your original quest objective. But it doesn't really matter because there's interesting stuff here that you want to do.

• chrisnyc48chrisnyc48 Member UncommonPosts: 25

Vrika said:

remsleep said:

True.

He is talking about camera: First person game means that it uses first person view, meaning that camera is attached to your character's head and you see what your character would see. Whereas third person games use third person viewpoint of someone who'd float in the air and watch your character from outside.

What?? You just explained the difference between the 2 perspectives...which was never in question. The point is, it should be up to the player to decide which perspective suits them, especially in an rpg. More often than not, games that force the 1st person perspective are games I usually avoid.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Vrika said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    azarhal said:

remsleep said:

azarhal said:

remsleep said:

Absolutely this.

In TES game you can head to do a quest, but then find some stuff to gather, and a hamlet you want to explore, and get another quest to nearby cave, and need to haul and sell loot, and find another interesting place to explore, and then have some crafting to do.

Then you've played 5 hours and realize you're on the wrong side of the mountain from your original quest objective. But it doesn't really matter because there's interesting stuff here that you want to do.
    You are literally describing how I play the Witcher 3 lol. W3 is no more quest based nor less explorable than Skyrim.

The biggest difference is in quality: W3 quests are just plain better - more compelling subject matter, better voice acted etc. If you find yourself following the quests and not exploring it's probably because their quests drew you in more and you want to follow them.

But if you do that exclusively you'll miss out on a lot. There is just so much that is not quest based and found through exploration that it's almost impossible to see it all and do it all.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I truly believe most of the early games shown for the new consoles are going to be rushed games just to get something out there for the mad rush of sales.That was a LAZY video,very little effort put into it and of course no game play,not even any life but one skeleton standing there just for the video's sake.

"viewpoint":I disagree,it SHOULD not be up to the player,it depends what the designer is trying to accomplish.A FSP view is by far the TRUE realistic and immersive view while the 3rd view is more of a CHEAT view.

The ONLY time the view concerns me is when 3rd person comes into play because often the camera is too close to the character which can cause headaches if playing for any length of time.Point is that if you are going to use 3rd person the camera needs to be able to go a good distance away from the character which is often not the case.

My personal view on this game is that these are marketing hype videos and still they showed us nothing,that really tells me the game is not going to be very good.It is like movie trailers,they try to show you the best parts to sell the movie,if there are no best parts to sell,then yeah,keep your money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited July 2020

Vrika said:

Gorwe said:

Sovrath said:

azarhal said:

remsleep said:

azarhal said:

remsleep said:

Absolutely this.

To add to this, TES DNA is in dungeon crawlers. The quests exist to lead you to "dungeons" or content, but the quest aren't required to have access to most of the game content. And while most quest givers are in cities, they can give you quests that send you all over the place.

In TW3, if you ignore the quests, you have a landscape with trash mobs on it and a few activities/POI to clear. All the "dungeons" are locked to quests and you need the quest before you can enter them. The only quests you "stumble" upon are the witcher contracts and most will send you back to the quest giver before you can kill the monster anyway

Short version: in TES the meat is in the gameworld, in TW3 the meat is in the quests.