Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not So MMO: Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris Impressions

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageNot So MMO: Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris Impressions

Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris has its share of flaws, it's not a perfect game.I find that it's a rather generic RPG, with a nice paint job portraying it as Sword Art Online. It has the potential to be the perfect Sword Art Online game, if only Bandai Namco steps up to the plate and addresses some much-needed attention to certain aspects of the game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    Whoever made the game spoiled the ending of the story as the beginning tutorial, and then do a flashback. facepalm anyone?
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    These games always felt so half-arsed to me.
    mrputts
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    So far ive heard that you could rewrite this game in notepad and it would be better optimised
    Tuor7
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I am not a fan of combo skill combat. Leaves you hitting the same skills in the same order and require memorization over skill. This also makes it harder to play a few chars, as you dont play one for a set amount of time and you have to refresh yourself on all its combos. So the knowledge of the class is useless. Its great for Console games that you drop when you complete them. Pass!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2020
    I bought into this franchise a couple months back for the first time.
    It looks ok'ish on paper,face value but once i got inside the game i was itching to get out.

Sadly i bought two of the SA games and after the first i didn't even try the second game.I am trying to completely erase the game from my mind ,all i can remember is the ever so annoying...nice...nice...nice...nice.I had to compliment my sidekick of or something to get a buff.

There is a big time trend in Asian UI/controls compared to NA,i think i can count one time i struggled with NA settings/UI but Asian games are often painful.

The biggest issue i have and seems a trend in Asian games and it was the same in PSo2 ,they like to have the camera flipping around all over,why on earth would my eyes not at least be looking where my eyes would naturally be looking.Why would the camera face behind my head,makes no sense at all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Well NAN i would point out that is EXACTLY how you train skills is through memory and repetition.
    Nobody in real life could walk up to a hockey stick and handle it better than a professional hockey player.Nobody could grab a pool cue and run the table like a pro,you need to practice and part of learning is memorizing how to make shots,how to play a table,where is the sweet spot on the baseball bat.
    Nobody on this planet is just born with skill,you acquire it.Using the same term "COMBO" a boxer will practice his combos,a left right cross,or a left cross into a right uppercut.
    In hockey there is a player to player combo,we call it a one timer,the first player lays up a perfect saucer pass so the other player can step into the shot full stride,full power all the while making the goalie move side to side to open up the net.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Of course there is no SIMPLE answer.response,if the game does combos in some weird unrealistic way then yeah it just looks stupid,that is why games are so hit n miss,some do some ideas better than others.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Wizardry said:
    Well NAN i would point out that is EXACTLY how you train skills is through memory and repetition.
    Nobody in real life could walk up to a hockey stick and handle it better than a professional hockey player.Nobody could grab a pool cue and run the table like a pro,you need to practice and part of learning is memorizing how to make shots,how to play a table,where is the sweet spot on the baseball bat.
    Nobody on this planet is just born with skill,you acquire it.Using the same term "COMBO" a boxer will practice his combos,a left right cross,or a left cross into a right uppercut.
    In hockey there is a player to player combo,we call it a one timer,the first player lays up a perfect saucer pass so the other player can step into the shot full stride,full power all the while making the goalie move side to side to open up the net.

Your analogy of a hockey and muscle memory fits very well and it the reason I dont play MMOs like this. Its no longer about skill and knowledge of a class. It becomes the same 3-8 combo skill you memorize with muscle memory. That becomes overly repetitive and boring.  

In ESO I would use up to 6 loadouts with sometimes some shared skills between the loadouts but not always in the same place on my hotbar. Looking at the load out and the order I put them in, I knew what role I was trying to fit while gaming. This type of game you wont have the same depth. Also, you learn a new muscle memory for a new class. Play that heavy for 3 months, you have undone the muscle memory of the other class. It would be like training for hockey for 3-6 months and then chucked into (raid) competitive game where every moment counts to win but the game is Baseball. 

In other MMOs that dont play that way. I could juggle 3-6 characters and a top level raid or PvP raid like RvR or WvW and not skip a beat. Fill what class is needed for the guild. This game, that will not happen. Not my cup of tea. 
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited July 2020
    Whoever made the game spoiled the ending of the story as the beginning tutorial, and then do a flashback. facepalm anyone?
    Sword Art Online is poorly written gutter trash anyway.

Albatroes said:
    These games always felt so half-arsed to me.
    Then they're entirely faithful to their IP.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    This looks really good. Best SOA game so far.
  • APerfidiousDaneAPerfidiousDane Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I'll never understand why these games even bother putting on co-op when it's the worst form of co-op. Specific side missions are the worst type of co-op. Just give us the option for campaign co-op like any decent game does.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited July 2020
    Mikeha said:
    This looks really good. Best SOA game so far.

The bar for these games is also pretty low....

That said, some of these games do have varying playstyles (like I think the first 3(?) being heavily melee focused and the fatal bullet one being guns and I guess this one has both). That said, the overall content is usually the same repeat stuff. Honestly better off dealing with PSO2 and its problems for free vs buying into this franchise for an even more limited feel.
    vegetableoil
  • kenzopoker1kenzopoker1 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    that one of my favorite anime
    and now i can play that games
    so coollll
    Mikeha
  • CombspeCombspe Member UncommonPosts: 140
    I farts.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I loved the anime I haven't tried the game though because it is too actiony for the likes of me.
    Chamber of Chains
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited July 2020
    Why do adults play games where everyone looks like they’re 12? ill.
    You know what I find ill that you associate these anime/manga characters to real people.

Asian culture and one I belong to love cute things. There is a huge demand for cuteness. Manga and anime are reflections of this. Not saying there aren't manga or anime that don't feed off this misconception and association but I personally love the cuteness factor and have ever since I was a little girl watching anime.

You don't understand it because you don't belong to the target audience and I think your prejudice is your own issue and has nothing to do with the medium. Plus even older anime/manga/manwha can have old characters that look like kids by your perception. The medium is about telling a story and a style that is familiar. Amazing stuff is written and drawn daily which you will never be able to access which is your loss.

Stop associating real human beings with manga/anime and you won't have a problem with it.

Of course the medium can also show extreme violence and sexual context. All of it is art though not real. Get that through your head it isn't real.