Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Memory (RAM) leak

StonemasonStonemason Member UncommonPosts: 26
I use Firefox web browser. When I load www.mmorpg.com everything appears normal. However, my RAM usage starts increasing, in a continues fashion. Its starts at about 3500 MB and continues to climb at 40-50 MB per second. This continues until it has used 35,000 MB or so. My full installed RAM. Then the site gets a bit choppy. I believe this is a memory leak, but I do not have the knowledge of such things. No other web site nor game is up and running in the background. No other web site nor game create the same issue. I have tested all that I can think of to solve this issue.

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    I use Firefox web browser. When I load www.mmorpg.com everything appears normal. However, my RAM usage starts increasing, in a continues fashion. Its starts at about 3500 MB and continues to climb at 40-50 MB per second. This continues until it has used 35,000 MB or so. My full installed RAM. Then the site gets a bit choppy. I believe this is a memory leak, but I do not have the knowledge of such things. No other web site nor game is up and running in the background. No other web site nor game create the same issue. I have tested all that I can think of to solve this issue.
    Have you tried to use another browser? Edge or chrome? 

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Have you tried something like Ghostery? Blocks ads, cookies and trackers I believe. I use it. I'll turn it off now and then so they can have their ads run, but as soon as they start causing my browser to bloat, I shout down the browser and restart with Ghostery turned on. Damn advertisers.  Don't care if the slow you system down to a crawl. Don't need no damn advertiser following me all over the web. Screw them. Would like to see no trackers and static ads.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I use Chrome, and I sometimes have issue where the forums are choppy. I haven't ever bothered to find out why, but whenever that happens turning on Adblock fixes the problem.

I think the video ad on right side of the page is causing that problem, but I haven't ever verified if it's that ad. It just seems there's an irritating video there every time the issue happens.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's not the site itself but some ads running amok. I would be happy to whitelist this site if it wasn't for that.

When not blocking the ads here I have had many Chrome crashes or worse.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    What's your anti-virus? That seems more like a virus than anything else. A site downloading 40-50 mb/s would be a terrible design and usually something your computers system would not allow. 
    Gdemami
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Anyone else notice that often you have to back page twice to get out of an article or thread?It started doing this about 2 weeks ago here and does not happen anywhere else,EXCEPT on those sketchy sites.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• StonemasonStonemason Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Further to my original post. I installed Chrome. Loaded the same page "www.mmorpg.com" the result... No issues at all, the memory leak (constant RAM increase) did not occur. The only time it does is if the active window is www.mmorpg.com using Firefox. End of story. I have sent a bug report to firefox, I hope it is resolved.  
    maskedweasel
  • BuzzingLight22BuzzingLight22 Newbie CommonPosts: 10
    Further to my original post. I installed Chrome. Loaded the same page "www.mmorpg.com" the result... No issues at all, the memory leak (constant RAM increase) did not occur. The only time it does is if the active window is www.mmorpg.com using Firefox. End of story. I have sent a bug report to firefox, I hope it is resolved.  

Seems really weird that Firefox caused you a memory leak. Been using Firefox for more than 3 years now and been completely fine :p  

Did it only happen in mmorpg.com?