Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The latest devblog. Forced PvP is gone.

18910111214»

Comments

• tzervotzervo Member RarePosts: 489
    edited July 16
    Bloodaxes said:
    Worlds Adrift  :D Man, was that game hot garbage.
    Dunno, I did love the concept and art style a lot. I would have given it a shot if it released regardless of PVP or PVE (I am not personally a PVPer, I love both PVP and PVE).

I haven't played it since I only buy into released games, so I cannot know if it was garbage, and I can't argue with you there. But the point I was trying to make is: if a PVPer says it is hot garbage, they "find excuses". If a PVEer says  it is "hot garbage", it must be the one and only truth ;)

Post edited by tzervo on
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,342
    edited July 16
    tzervo said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Worlds Adrift  :D Man, was that game hot garbage.
    Dunno, I did love the concept and art style a lot. I would have given it a shot if it released regardless of PVP or PVE (I am not personally a PVPer, I love both PVP and PVE).

I haven't played it since I only buy into released games, so I cannot know if it was garbage, and I can't argue with you there. But the point I was trying to make is: if a PVPers says it is hot garbage, they "find excuses". If a PVEer says  it is "hot garbage", it must be the one and only truth. ;)
    It was interesting, but ultimately suffered the same fate as most indie survival games. The game had barely anything to do. Sure, the grappling hook was fun and all, but for how long can you keep doing that before it loses it's charm?

And that's why it failed. Adding a PVE server when there was barely anything to do (even for PVPers) was not going to work anyway. 
    tzervo

• tzervotzervo Member RarePosts: 489
    edited July 16
    Brainy said:
    Legends of Aria?   Isnt that the game where the devs said they wanted to lure in as many PVE sheep as possible for the PVP players to gank them?  LoL ya PVEers gonna believe them.

PVE players are starting to get wise to these PVP gankfest games tactics.

Albion is Free to play, they couldnt even get people to buy the game or sub. These "active players" can all be from china for all I know.  Steam shows 8k in the middle of covid when games have increased numbers right now.

If I was New World, I would cancel this project name,  take the dev team and the game, release a new named full sandbox PVE game with raiding dungeons in 1-2yrs and watch them rule for a decade with cash growing on trees around their dev studio.
    Textbook victim syndrome. :)

Legends of Aria flip flopped many times trying to get both sides and failed in both. Neither PVP nor PVE players believed them. But when they DID change their scope between PVE and PVP, you would hear the same "excuses" from both PVP and PVE players: a resounding "We don't trust you.". If the excuse is not lame for the PVE players, it is not lame for the PVP players.

Re Albion: Steam charts give partial concurrency numbers. The link I gave has the official total monthly numbers, including the non Steam client. So you compare partial apples with official complete oranges with some anti-China paranoia from your side thrown in for good measure. ^^

As an indie average sized OWPVP FFA FL that has grown in the past couple of years (weren't those prophesized to be dead/doomed?) it is doing better than Worlds Adrift (added PVE like you recommend, died), better than Population Zero (added PVE like you recommend, died), and better than recent PVE indie success stories (https://steamcharts.com/app/342940 which shows that pure numbers are not everything).

As for New World (and any other PVE game), I don't disagree with the PVEers' claims that a successful PVE MMO is on average more popular and profitable than a successful PVP MMO. At least that's what history proves up to now. But I do not agree with the rest of their conspiracy theories. 
    Post edited by tzervo on
    YashaX
  • ikcinikcin Member RarePosts: 2,211
    Wizardry said:
    As some mentioned,pvp players often talk the talk but don't walk the walk.
    Atlas was intense pvp as it happens in any game and after the dust settled all those in favor were crying foul.
    They din't like losing days,weeks,months of very hard work just to start all over again,i saw it and it is FACT.
    No, it is not a fact. There is not such a thing as PvP players, as PvE players too. Some people are just more competitive. Others are more delusional - they see the grind as work and progression. But in general all the players want to compete in the MMOs. Some just want to do it when they feel ready - usually when they think they have advantage, or they believe they are at least equal. But the players play MMORPGs for the immersive virtual worlds. There is a lot of grind in LoL for example. The grind is not PvE or PvP thing. The immersion too. 

The purpose of the MMORPGs is to provide a place for interaction among the players in an immersive virtual world. So, more interaction - competition and cooperation, makes the game better. But also could make it less immersive, like the ganking does, as it makes some people to feel like victims. So it is essential to integrate all the activities in the lore, and to provide places for them. The easiest way is to break the world of the game - so a place for PvE, and a place for PvP. The hardest way is to balance the activities with proper rules. Here they switched from FFA PvP to safe PvE with faction competition, which is quite the opposite. And as any game without competition the PvE will be pointless. Nobody will care how much you grind in your delusional hard work.