Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I havent followed this much cant believe this hasnt been posted with everyone losing their minds....

rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s82xJnx1EY

For guys who like twitch ( I dont but) there is also a reaction video with Summt1G watching this trailer.

If everything in the trailer is true it would be the most epic game ever made.

But as it is I suspect most people will bitch and moan about 'the combat'. Which is basically the only thing they (allegedly) havent fully fleshed out yet.
Gdemami

Comments

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    edited July 2020
    Apparently Asmongold did one too. So a couple of the biggest streamers (left) on twitch had some thoughts.... As well as 'interviews' with the developers. Those might be worth watching as well.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2020
    I don't often watch videos of people playing games, nor streamers talking about playing games, nor trailers about video games.

Try using your words to tell us why.this game is worth bothering with.

YashaXAzaron_NightbladeSoybean

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited July 2020
    I watched a bit of that video. I must say it does look intriguing.

Lazypeon does explain everything quite well. Thanks for the link. My only concern is how well the corrupted system will deter griefing. If it is successful then I may consider playing it. I intend to take part in defending the caravans and in sieges but I refuse to  participate in random ganking.

I am hoping the system works and does not end up with just a few guilds dominating or just round robining nodes between them. I don't trust players not to find loop holes and screwing things up. However I am willing to give the game a chance and play it.

It is good that the mayoral system enables people to pick a new one again and get rid of any corrupted ones but I would not put it past players to control things via thuggery and unfair methods that the developers failed to foresee.

I also think this type of games needs a threshold population or else the nodes will remain unchallenged as there will be ample space for other nodes to thrive without the need to destroy the claimed ones. Might be great at launch but not so a year later. We'll see I guess.
    YashaX

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Wait a minute didn't they do the Battle Royale thing. Hmm ....
    YashaX

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Wargfoot said:
    kitarad said:
    Thanks for the link. My only concern is how well the corrupted system will deter griefing. 

It won't work.

Right off the cuff I guess that most grief players will simply find the fastest way to level a FOTM class to mid-levels and then murder lowbies.  Loot and so forth will be transferred to clean account.  Once the grief character is overburdened with 'corruption' it will be deleted and re-rolled.

Grief play will not be eliminated until game companies simply identify and ban people who are assholes (they're a tiny minority) - even when said asshole is not technically breaking the rules.

Exactly. It doesn't work because players who want to grief don't treat these characters as important. They are disposable. They'll do exactly what you said, level them until they are formidable to starting characters and then use them until they are no longer needed. I would even venture a guess that they will form "red" or "chaotic" guilds and just roam the countryside taking out small groups of lower level players.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I don't think I have ever seen a trailer that was anything like the actual gameplay, and you can never believe the streamers because they are being paid.
    YashaXKyleran
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Conceptually this game has always had my interest with their tweaks on the familiar MMORPG tropes. I still won't pre-order or "donate" or whatever they're calling it, but I'll keep watching with interest.

And like others I'm also skeptical that their corruption system will be "gaming the system" proof. Players always figure out ways to get around this stuff and ignore deterrents if a way exists. I guess we'll see.

[Deleted User]YashaXKyleranRemyVorender
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    rodarin said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s82xJnx1EY

For guys who like twitch ( I dont but) there is also a reaction video with Summt1G watching this trailer.

If everything in the trailer is true it would be the most epic game ever made.

But as it is I suspect most people will bitch and moan about 'the combat'. Which is basically the only thing they (allegedly) havent fully fleshed out yet.
    This game looks like we are back in 2000s. 

From my point of view is very below average. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited July 2020
    remsleep said:
    The only thing that would make a MMORPG exciting for me at this point is to make it as far removed as the current whack-a-mole design of the last 20 years.

Kill - XP - Loot 
    Quest - XP - Reward
    End game - gear grind/resource grind
    Some bullshit cyclical siege/PvP/node control crap where it's a never ending meaningless guild swap that becomes yet another grind

Give me a new design, a different approach - and you will have my interest.

Because I am done with the same old same old, been there, done that don't want to relieve another groundhog day mmorpg anymore

But those who are excited for this - hey go right ahead
    Careful there. Every game can be boiled down to just you and your mouse and KB or controller mashing buttons. Take that been there, done that attitude too far and you will no longer play games at all.

And then why would you even come here under this or any future account names? :)
    YashaXboris20
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618
    kitarad said:
    I watched a bit of that video. I must say it does look intriguing.

Lazypeon does explain everything quite well. Thanks for the link. My only concern is how well the corrupted system will deter griefing. If it is successful then I may consider playing it. I intend to take part in defending the caravans and in sieges but I refuse to  participate in random ganking.

I am hoping the system works and does not end up with just a few guilds dominating or just round robining nodes between them. I don't trust players not to find loop holes and screwing things up. However I am willing to give the game a chance and play it.

It is good that the mayoral system enables people to pick a new one again and get rid of any corrupted ones but I would not put it past players to control things via thuggery and unfair methods that the developers failed to foresee.

I also think this type of games needs a threshold population or else the nodes will remain unchallenged as there will be ample space for other nodes to thrive without the need to destroy the claimed ones. Might be great at launch but not so a year later. We'll see I guess.

The corrupted system sounds similar to what Lineage 2 had, and that game had crazy grind where you could lose hours or xp on death.  They still killed new people even with the risk of dropping weapons that took a while to grind.
    SovrathYashaX

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited July 2020
    Iselin said:
    remsleep said:
    The only thing that would make a MMORPG exciting for me at this point is to make it as far removed as the current whack-a-mole design of the last 20 years.

Kill - XP - Loot 
    Quest - XP - Reward
    End game - gear grind/resource grind
    Some bullshit cyclical siege/PvP/node control crap where it's a never ending meaningless guild swap that becomes yet another grind

Give me a new design, a different approach - and you will have my interest.

Because I am done with the same old same old, been there, done that don't want to relieve another groundhog day mmorpg anymore

But those who are excited for this - hey go right ahead

And then why would you even come here under this or any future account names? :)
    Awwww, I see what you are doing there, with that ‘subtle but not too subtle’ dig, nice. Very meta too  B)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Iselin
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Like I said I didnt jump right on the band wagon 3 years ago when this was first put out there. I did watcht he video and I am a big believer in 'anti-griefing' systems simply dont work. This one is no exception.

But in the grand scheme it seems semi minor but I am sure it will get addressed eventually. There are plenty of options (apparently anything that ANY MMO has EVER done is getting put into this project. At least according to the video.

In the end they are having a non NDA 'test' phase. Who that involves and if its '
    critics' or actual gamers (and nont the 'elites' remains to be seen.

I am sure it will offer something for anyone who wants to play it. Like a lot of other MMOs already do. Whether its the end all be all will remain to be seen.

Another thing he sort of slipped in was that its going to take 200-250 hours of game play to max level. Math guys can double check but I think I remember he said 40-45 days @ 4-6 hours a day. Of course there will be speed leveling and all that but even so that does seem like a lot of hours. Which I am not against but it will border line on some people claiming the ever present 'grind'.

I am always critical of crafting. They SORT of cover it but for the most part I have always said (and am proven right over and over again) that no game has 'crafting', at least not MEANINGFUL crafting. They all have GATHERING and SUPPLYING but in no game ever (even the legendary SWG) was a FINISHED product worth the sum of its parts.

I said the way to address that would be have a very specialized system where not everyone could master (max out) everything. They sort of touch on it here. But I stil think that there should be other incentives as in 'cooler' looking skins, or a choice of skins for every 'master level' crafter. SO each one would have a unique look. Same exact stats but we all know these days it doesnt matter how good something is if it doesnt look cool. So give the crafter a list, (with diminishing choices obviously) of what skin they want to be associated with. Then people could choose which skin they liked the best. Which is always subjective. They could also make it 'guild' exclusive. Meaning some guys might never sell anything openly only make it fr the guild. As to keep 'freelance' trader options open.

When it comes down to it crafting and housing/storage are the top things on the vast majority of lists, followed by combat. But no game has done crafting right. Their housing sounds fine but we all know that servers with 8-10K people will be full of housing (even with the mechanic of one 'large' house per account not server. Assuming of course  that many people play and stay. Which if its what they want it to be they will.

Also if they do in fact get the system they want in it will 'fix' the actual biggest problem MMOs face iin general...replayability and what to do once a server has reached 'maturity'. The node system and reworking of everything involved with nodes and how they work and advance is pretty interesting. They claim that is 100% fleshed out, tested and working. We will see I guess. The only downside to that I can see is if mega guilds start dictating everything on particular servers. Then it could put a lot of people off.

Similar to the flying mount thing. Those just seem like payola for large guilds and their leaders to play the game in the first place. That and allowing the 'mayor' of a node to be a popularity contest under a certain set of advancements.

There are pros and cons to a lot of what they are saying. Overall it seems like theyre doing what most people claim they want. But then again no one really knows what they want until they ysee it in practice.
    edited July 2020

Post edited by kitarad on

edited July 2020
    sorry

Sovrath said:
    Wargfoot said:
    kitarad said:
    Thanks for the link. My only concern is how well the corrupted system will deter griefing. 

It won't work.

Right off the cuff I guess that most grief players will simply find the fastest way to level a FOTM class to mid-levels and then murder lowbies.  Loot and so forth will be transferred to clean account.  Once the grief character is overburdened with 'corruption' it will be deleted and re-rolled.

Grief play will not be eliminated until game companies simply identify and ban people who are assholes (they're a tiny minority) - even when said asshole is not technically breaking the rules.

Exactly. It doesn't work because players who want to grief don't treat these characters as important. They are disposable. They'll do exactly what you said, level them until they are formidable to starting characters and then use them until they are no longer needed. I would even venture a guess that they will form "red" or "chaotic" guilds and just roam the countryside taking out small groups of lower level players.
    That's disappointing.

edited July 2020

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    I think Kitarad is disappointed
    Sovrath
    Oh dear I posted but nothing appeared so I posted again. Sorry about that.

kitarad said:
    Sovrath said:
    Wargfoot said:
    kitarad said:

It won't work.

How disappointing
    That's what happened in Lineage 2. People had "alt" red characters and would use them to take out players in the starter areas. Then, a clan formed on our server with all red characters. Safety in numbers sort of thing.

I'm not saying this shouldn't happen but that these systems don't really dissuade this type of game play.
    YashaXKyleran

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

kitarad said:
    Sovrath said:
    Wargfoot said:
    kitarad said:

It won't work.

How disappointing
    That's what happened in Lineage 2. People had "alt" red characters and would use them to take out players in the starter areas. Then, a clan formed on our server with all red characters. Safety in numbers sort of thing.

I'm not saying this shouldn't happen but that these systems don't really dissuade this type of game play.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    If the game fails it won’t be because of griefing lowbies. 
    [Deleted User]Kyleranbcbully

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    As pointed out the combat is a big question. You will be able to advance your char with tab targeting skills or you can pick the path of action combat skills. Also they have broken the avatar of each character into 2 hit boxes, main body for reg damage, and head. Action combat skills can be used to do head shots that can kill in one shot, not all action skills can but there are a number of them. To balance this, Tab Targeting skills will do a higher overall average damage, doing a little more then the action skills when they do body shots. They think this will balance things out. I do not.

Other area of concern is Ashes was sold on this node system that will give a dynamic event system. It was their main selling point but we have yet to see it in action or any word on what systems they have to make it work. Hmmm?!?!?!
    [Deleted User]bcbully