Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or has the MMO genre shifted towards Action MMOs and Full Loot FFA PvP Sandboxes?

2»

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited July 2020
    cheyane said:
    tzervo said:
    nate1980 said:

What's bad about it are a few things:

1. It's a myth that games are just for children and young adults. The more actions per/min (APM) a person has to perform, the more our hands hurt for older folks.
    2. MMO's are repetitive games that can take hours to accomplish the same level of progress that you feel you've achieved in a single-player game. Once again, high APM combat systems after hours of play can impact even younger players joints and ligaments in their hands.
    3. MMO's are more complex than SPG's. Having to click your mouse to attack and move to dodge swings etc (Souls) while also having to input a sequence of commands to execute an ability, or to hit abilities traditional style while doing the above isn't great in a MMO raid and/or complicated 5 mans.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like a Dark Souls MMORPG sharing the same combat, but what MMO's that have action combat make you do is spam action combat stuff and tab target combat stuff at the same time. That's uncomfortable and needlessly complicated for an old clicker/keyboard turner like myself.
    I don't think that action combat systems are always or have to be more shallow or fast-paced than tab targeting.

Haven't played Dark Souls, but I played MHW and from what I hear from those that played both the combat system is similar. It is action combat and it did not feel more fast paced or more shallow than tab targeting systems. And I say that as a middle-aged gamer with mediocre reflexes. MHW also proves that action combat can fit quite well in more complicated group fights.

It is not at all about how slow or fast paced it is.

I have played Monster Hunter World. I find after 40 minutes I am exhausted and have a headache from turning around and trying to hit things. Tab target never does that to me. It is how you react to action combat, I noticed this while playing Phantasy Star Online 2. The state of readiness to react and jump and run and avoid is nowhere what a tab target games is at. Your whole mind and body reacts to a state that is completely different from a tab target that is based on dice roles to one where you have to actively move. Even if it isn't based on dice roles the fact that you have to manually aim is already a  big problem for some players.

Each person has a different threshold of what they can manage. What you may find easy may be impossible for me and quite honestly you're not in my position to know what it is like.

It completely annoys me when people advice me to try something they think is easy from their point of view because they don't actually suffer from slow reflexes. They think they are slow but in fact are far better than I am. You will never appreciate what another person is suffering unless you have the same handicap to reflexes and it isn't something you can reason away.

Plus after awhile my hand hurts and that is an added problem many people never have to deal with.

Then there are those that say 'oh you are not trying enough' or 'are not practicing' and that is why you cannot do it. I am trying hard and I have spent hours trying but I cannot achieve any success and that seems to be something some find impossible to understand because they are gauging things from their own capabilities and it is unfathomable to them why you would find it hard.

That is why before I buy a game I try to ask how the game plays and watch videos to see if I can handle it or find a class that I might be able to play that will allow me to play an action game. It isn't that cut and dry as fast or slow paced. I can handle fast paced games with ease if I am not in the thick of the fight like a summoner fighting and the pet is actually fighting and I am far away commanding it's moves.

I can also hit buttons on my mouse and heal and cast in games where I am not also running for my life very quickly and have achieved quite good grades from other players that have praised my quick reflexes in healing them.

I am very leery of games that tout action combat because of this.
    This may help......However it only somewhat helps me with video games.

Several years back I was driving my car down the road.  MY right foot is working the gas and break peddle and my left is doing nothing..... But instead I noticed it's REALLY PINNED HARD AGAINST THE FRONT FIRE WALL. Once I realized this I always now make a decision to remember and ease up, same with griping the wheel.

To me this is a subconscious stress reaction in case of an accident.  It's a false and negative and un needed reaction. 

Same holds true in:
    Shooting a firearm
    Playing golf 

If you make a consciousness effort in ALL three examples, they all improve drastically.

I'm able to releave the finger stress for K/B and mouse, play much better, fingers don't hurt therefore my neck doesn't ether at least as bad....... XBox controller nothing helps, I avoid using it. 

Unrelated I'm having physical neurological problems and may have to give up on video games :(  
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    The MMO genre hasn't so much "shifted towards FFA full loot PvP sandboxes". More like it's being flooded by low budget, Indie crap that tries to cut corners by having the "players provide the content".
    IselinAlBQuirky

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Winning a match in a PvP video game is like telling someone on the internet that you can beat them up when you know their five thousand miles away and don't know your address....... Seriously they should be ashamed of themselves. 

It's like that big fat New England Patriots fan that has on their sweat pants with dip and wing sauce rubbed in...... They actually think they play :) 
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Wtf lol PvP can be sportive it doesnt have to be unbalanced.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    edited July 2020
    I noticed MMO developers of new MMOs seem to be doing a lot more focus on Action Combat, but not just that. Sandbox PvP FFA FL MMOs seem to be the new trend. MMOs take about 5 years on avg to make, so this trend had to be in the works for the last 5 years now.            

seem crazy a decade ago. But here we are. Whats funny is that Amazon's New World MMO backed out the original plan for going the Sandbox FFA FL PvP path due to complaints of gang fest KoS PvP griefing.               

But because if this new wave trend of Sandbox PvP MMOs coming out, I wonder if this will lead to another MMO Depression period if these new MMOs flop? Thats a concern. 

Action combat, sure, full loot? No, not really. The main games doing full loot aren't MMOs. Amazon's New World never had full loot and never had plans to do full look afaik, I am pretty sure that was just words being twisted / a rumor. Prove me wrong on that one with a source if you know otherwise. I dunno what new wave of Sandbox PvP MMOs you are referring to though. BDO?

I wouldn't really calling PSO 2 or MHW MMOs though. Those are more of co-op online RPGS similar to gw1.
    AlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    wait someone link me the ffa pvp games OP talking about. 

been waiting for the next darkfall type game but nothing.

new world was hope but pve karens ruined it again

https://www.mortalonline2.com/
    Wow, I really hate the new art direction for the Mortal Online franchise. 

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    The big shift happened when MOBAs became the big thing. When they started making more money then MMOs everyone thought they could make a hybrid MMO. Now Battle Royal is the big thing and again thats becoming a thing MMOs have to deal with. Funny that most of the biggest MMOs that keep pulling in big numbers are tab target or trinity style combat. ESO seems to be one of the exceptions to that rule. IMO if Pantheon ends up being that modern MMO they have promised with old school tab targeting/trinity combat. I think it may do very well. 
    AlBQuirky
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    edited July 2020
    I dont think we are even close to saturation point.  There is alot of people out there that will play a good game.

Every industry would love to make money releasing trash inexpensive products for extremely high markups.  These devs just keep releasing turds trying to convince people they are diamonds. 

What is an extremely high quality MMO that released recently either PVP or PVE that has failed due to lack of players?

Blizzard was a leader in the market and they totally dropped the ball.  Did Starcraft PVP online fail?  Did Diablo PVE Online fail?   Nope, only Blizzard failed to develop a good game for people to play.  Lack of management has hurt the entire genre.

Someday a good MMO will release, and it will re-energize the MMO marketplace again.  Hopefully its sooner than later.

AlBQuirky
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited July 2020
    I don't know enough about upcoming MMOs to answer.  But I think the theme park style MMO is pretty damn close to saturation between WOW, FF14, ESO, SWTOR and LOTRO and whatever else is hanging on.  It's pretty damn hard to make it in that market without an established and popular IP.  (I wouldn't invest in any MMO that was also creating a new IP, that is unless say CDPR was behind it and had a great sales pitch) 

Everything that can be done has been done in that area.  Well until some amazing VR or AI tech arrives. 

And so it makes sense for companies to look outside of that segment in order to succeed and attract players that don't usually play MMOs.  Making a hybrid game that is also an MMO isn't a horrible idea.  But it sure as hell is risky.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky