Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

spambots

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Bloodaxes said:
    What's even sadder, no mod even replied as of yet.
    Man they don't care.  They had that spelling error, "Dunamically," in the title of one of their articles for like 10 days with no change, last I saw.
    mmolou
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Bloodaxes said:
    What's even sadder, no mod even replied as of yet.
    Man they don't care.  They had that spelling error, "Dunamically," in the title of one of their articles for like 10 days with no change, last I saw.
    Whoa cowboy, maybe Dunamically refers to the way former Jackass’ star Ryan Dunn handles things, which would be poorly of course.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    mmolouMightyUncleanAlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 110
    Greetings all,

I've passed this thread along to the staff. I know how annoying spambots can be, and they have been more prevalent as of late. 

Thanks all! 
    TillerlahnmirScot[Deleted User]
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    TBH I am glad to see so much feedback on this thread.
    I  thought it would be burried on page 5 by now without any further input.

Tells me this community still cares about mmorpg.com
    AlBQuirky
    Harbinger of Fools
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I have a clarification question, if I may.

"Spambot" means an actual bot, or are humans lumped in, too?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

From my perspective it only refers to real bots.

Otherwise we would have to put Captain LOL on the list...
    Asm0deusSlapshot1188AlBQuirky
    Harbinger of Fools
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    We need to get rid of em !
    AlBQuirky

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    They really picked up the pace with the necros last few days.
    AlBQuirky
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Not a word from the mods on this post or anywhere else.
    AlBQuirky
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    Not a word from the mods on this post or anywhere else.

And the spam bots keep taking over the whole site.

The most incomprehensible thing in the screenshot below is how the three bottom posts are marked 'necro' and yet the spam posts (and the spammer) that necroed those threads remain.

Truly baffling.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Nanfoodle said:
    Simple fix is give limited mod rights to trusted forum members. Also add some of the things mentioned above. Like no links till you have done 10 posts. No ability to create a thread till you have 20 replies. Some action is better then none. 
    Oh God, no.  Moderator rights to members would be so much worse and cause so much more unhappiness than the spambots do.
    Agreed. Just imagine me with power....

Scary.

;)
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Interestingly enough, I've never seen a spambot post over on MassivelyOP, I wonder what their secret is?

Something to do perhaps with having to use social media accounts to log in with?
    SovrathAlBQuirky

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    So many spam bots. So so many now. It's like with stray cats. Feed them and they live on your front porch. So what are you feeding them? Unfettered easy access maybe?
    AlBQuirkyKyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Is there any way for us to contact the site moderators directly?  I finally gave up flagging spam posts because they didn't even do anything about them any more.  It's just...they've given up, so I have, too.  And I'm sure that some of them have seen this thread.  They're just choosing to ignore it.
    AmatheAlBQuirkyKyleran
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    My question is always:  Who actually clicks those?  I mean, what level of human sees a bot post, in poor English, making insane claims about "I make $16k a month and you can too!" on an MMORPG site and decides to click the link?

Exactly.  $16k per month?  What a joke.  I don't click on anything under $35k per month.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]Kyleran
    Still the new reality without any feedback:

AlBQuirkyKyleran
    Harbinger of Fools
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I flag posts but they never remove them any more so I shall be stopping the flagging.
    AmathecheyaneNyghthowlerAlBQuirky

• zenomexzenomex Member UncommonPosts: 242
    what's more scary to me is that after a decade I still see the same people with the same pic posting the same types of messages.. there's little to none influx of new members here as far as my eye can tell so this website is a dead man walking anyway.. or maybe it's the MMORPG genre ?
    Kyleran
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I wonder how spam bots pick the threads to spam in. What are the trigger phrases that cause it to choose a thread to necro?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Kyleran said:
    Interestingly enough, I've never seen a spambot post over on MassivelyOP, I wonder what their secret is?

Something to do perhaps with having to use social media accounts to log in with?
    Bree basically sits there and insta-deletes any perspectives she doesn’t agree with so taking care of spambots is a freebie.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    kitarad said:
    I flag posts but they never remove them any more so I shall be stopping the flagging.

Yea, I just flagged 3 more in delete's latest post. I see many more threads with the same bots as the "latest posters" so I think I'll quit reporting, too. It seems rather pointless when the site seems to not care one little whit whether I do or not.
    Kyleran

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    It's like beetlejuice, say it too many times and here they are!

Kyleran said:

Bree basically sits there and insta-deletes any perspectives she doesn’t agree with so taking care of spambots is a freebie.
    Well, they do have an automatic spam detection service, one reason I log in with multiple accounts is on occasion I've found my posts have been directed over to it for review and it can take a few days to appear back on the site which by that time the thread has usually dropped from sight and further comment.

Bree appears to be one of several full time employees there while most of the folks here this seems to be some sort of part time endeavor to their real day jobs.

In fact it appears this site is now run by the publishing equivalent of Gamigo, where games go to when well past their prime.

harken33AlBQuirky

Awesome, just friggin awesome.

:# 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited July 2020
    miajiwa said:
    [mod edit]
    Pls tell me more, this thread was made just for you ;-)
    Post edited by Vaross on
    [Deleted User]