Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost Ark kills the gender lock and preps for global release

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
Momentum is picking up for the long-long-awaited Lost Ark, which just began its closed beta (in Japan). A Redditor reported that the beta patch included some significant changes, such as the removal of the controversial gender lock and the addition of player housing islands.

“We are currently working hard to prepare for global release,” said the studio. “We can’t mark the date yet, but we want to tell you that we are working on it and looking forward to announcing some good news in the near future.”

https://massivelyop.com/2020/07/13/lost-ark-kills-the-gender-lock-adds-the-scouter-and-preps-for-global-release/

cheyaneDragnelusDibdabs[Deleted User]FTrunks21foxgirl

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Mikeha said:
    Momentum is picking up for the long-long-awaited Lost Ark, which just began its closed beta (in Japan). A Redditor reported that the beta patch included some significant changes, such as the removal of the controversial gender lock and the addition of player housing islands.

“We are currently working hard to prepare for global release,” said the studio. “We can’t mark the date yet, but we want to tell you that we are working on it and looking forward to announcing some good news in the near future.”

https://massivelyop.com/2020/07/13/lost-ark-kills-the-gender-lock-adds-the-scouter-and-preps-for-global-release/

Exciting news indeed, Once again Massively gets the scoop.
    Mikeha
    Chamber of Chains
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Why did they word it so oddly?
    You can't just remove a gender lock,you have to ADD in the animations,thousands of animation frames for the relevant class/gender.

Also odd is that this looks way more like a mindless Korean arpg than a Jpn game.
    Characters look silly out of place very typical of KR designs and the combat is just ...terrible would be putting it politely.
    I have zero interest in arpg's because you can play them with your eyes closed,press one button and everything dies...no thanks.

So after seeing the type of combat this is,now i understand the odd wording of removing gender lock,they are likely using the same animations no matter what class.I mean all you see is boom everything is dead in a cloud or the character spins around in a circle so fast you can't tell what the animation is or even see any detail in the character anymore.

DibdabsOzmodanFTrunks21Greatness

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited July 2020
    It is a Korean game @Wizardry not Japanese. Supposed to be an MMORPG.

I liked the scouter class video.
    Ozmodan

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    the sooner it gets to the US the better.  IMO.
    Groqstrong

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I've really been wanting to try this game. Super excited for it to release here. 
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Tokken said:
    the sooner it gets to the US the better.  IMO.
    EU
    Aeander

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,821
    Thank fuck. Having the only proper support class, the bard, be female exclusive is terrible game design.

Also, this means that I'll be playing the fisting-enthusiast. Giggidy.
    Mikeha[Deleted User]
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    @Wizardry

If you play PoE on hardcore mode, the fact that one misstep and you die, makes the game playable, otherwise, all arpg are boring.

Have you ever played a game in HC mode
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    edited July 2020
    I can't really get 'excited' anymore.  But I will be interested to see how they handle the cash shop in the West.  If left unchanged, many will be turned off by the fact that people that pay have more runs in the daily content.  and that's how you 'progress' by getting higher ilvl gear from them.

I despise MMO style lockout timers in ARPGs where we just want to nolife it til we get bored and wait for the next season.  Unless it's a game that doesn't lock all of the best gear behind them, ala Marvel Heroes raid gear being mainly one or two items that may be BiS.

It still should do pretty well in the west  thanks to Wolcenn and TL3 flopping and POE getting buggier and staler each league.  Well, at least until POe2 arrives.
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    2 years to late. Not even gonna give it a shot anymore to be honest
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    edited July 2020
    remsleep said:
    This was nice ... like 2 years ago.

It already looks dated.

The worst part if combat is how every skill stun-locks a group of mobs and it looks like - stop animation hurk-jerk crap, it's not visually appealing at all...

...Decent option to play for several weeks and then move on
    I agree entirely.  It looks absolutely atrocious with the stop-go movement and - the seething cloud of smoke and flashy lightning permitting - you can glimpse every mob doing the exact same actions.  Definite hard pass on this product!
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    cheyane said:
    Mikeha said:

Exciting news indeed, Once again Massively gets the scoop.
    Because MMO developers know, Massively is the last MMO site thats features MMOs. 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited July 2020
     Diablo 1-2 had gender lock and no one complained ever; and no one cared because they were fun games. WTF happened over the years and why do so many care all of a sudden? Just play the damn game. Even in SWG there were doods who played female avatars for whatever reason, no one cared. Maybe too many lives ruined in WOW when they found out the e-crush they ERPed with is a guy. LMAO I don't care either way, I just find it hilarious.
    MikehaTheocritus
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited July 2020
    The camera seems to be a MO-ARPG? Is it click driving or WSAD?
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    While this looks fun and should have came out years ago, I am more excited for diablo 4...whenever it comes out.

MurderHerd

Tiller said:
     Diablo 1-2 had gender lock and no one complained ever; and no one cared because they were fun games. WTF happened over the years and why do so many care all of a sudden? Just play the damn game. Even in SWG there were doods who played female avatars for whatever reason, no one cared. Maybe too many lives ruined in WOW when they found out the e-crush they ERPed with is a guy. LMAO I don't care either way, I just find it hilarious.
    Slap MMORPG on a title means you are going to get people who like to role play. This market was created (MMOS) to make a new way to role play in a virtual world. I was a huge PnP player and got pulled into EQ1 because of it. So RP matters when you slap that on a label. I personally dont like to RP a woman. To me, this is more than just a game. Hope that helps you understand. 
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Fun game and some of the best animations ive seen in an arpg.  
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    remsleep said:
    This was nice ... like 2 years ago.

It already looks dated.

The worst part if combat is how every skill stun-locks a group of mobs and it looks like - stop animation hurk-jerk crap, it's not visually appealing at all

Hey while not amazing, it certainly isn't total poo like Torchlight 3

The endgame is pretty dumb, but its probably worth a single playthrough just to see the content before end game repetition 

Decent option to play for several weeks and then move on
    I don't know about it looking dated. But it doesn't really look fun.

If I can, as you put it, stun lock groups and then take them out, where is the fun in that?

I always like there to be a little danger. Then again, if this is viewed as an mmorpg it sort of falls in line with "grinding mobs."

Also hate the "light show."

Dibdabs
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    Lost Ark is a great game, it's an insane amount of content is crazy and the overall play mechanics are fun. More so than pretty much anything we have around rn of the type.

The grindfest of Last Ark is an annoying linearity on daily content on what you repeat every day to get the shines so the late game not really balancing well.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    MaxBacon said:
    Lost Ark is a great game, it's an insane amount of content is crazy and the overall play mechanics are fun. More so than pretty much anything we have around rn of the type.

The grindfest of Last Ark is an annoying linearity on daily content on what you repeat every day to get the shines so the late game not really balancing well.

you've played it?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Tiller said:

Change happened. D1-2 came out a long time ago. Several ARPGs without gender lock were released after, including D3. You can just play the damn game regardless, so why make an issue of it. At worst it makes no difference at all, and it can potentially draw in more players simply by better catering to preference.
    Aeander
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Gender lock doesn't bother me one iota in video games...its not like we are cross dressing and playing a woman in real life.
  • BuzzingLight22BuzzingLight22 Newbie CommonPosts: 10
    Seems cool. pretty excited to see what's next.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    edited July 2020
    Tiller said:
     Diablo 1-2 had gender lock and no one complained ever; and no one cared because they were fun games. 

I mostly didnt care because after playing it once it had zero replayability and frankly the first round had already been boring.

D2 was one of those games that many people play and personally I just dont understand why they bother. The game gave me no reason why I would want to play.

P.s.: Oh and I have no clue why anyone would mention D2 in a MMO context in the first place. Nobody ever claimed it was a MMO.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    When I was playing Path of Exile I was pissed I could not play a female for every class but I got over it. Generally gender locks are not enough to prevent me from playing a game but I guess it bothers some folk enough to make that an issue.