Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArenaNet Provides Update on Guild Wars 2 WvW Performance Testing

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageArenaNet Provides Update on Guild Wars 2 WvW Performance Testing

ArenaNet earlier provided an update on Guild Wars 2 WvW performance and map cap testing following an initial test last Friday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ShutaraShutara Member UncommonPosts: 140
    What about updating your game to meet modern standards instead?
    doomex
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Shutara said:

A Game engine is very hard to update. Especially one that is so old, like the GW2 engine.

GW2 actually is better than ESO, if you have ever played the WvW version there. It makes GW2's lag look great.

Also, GW2, is one of the few games that actually does Collision detection, which means is you shoot a projectile, it only shows damage if it hits it's target. Other games just assume, especially tab-targeting games.

They are also using Amazon game servers now, so they might have to optimize for those servers compared to what they used before (NCSoft servers).

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    botrytis said:

Shutara said:

A Game engine is very hard to update. Especially one that is so old, like the GW2 engine.

GW2 actually is better than ESO, if you have ever played the WvW version there. It makes GW2's lag look great.

Also, GW2, is one of the few games that actually does Collision detection, which means is you shoot a projectile, it only shows damage if it hits it's target. Other games just assume, especially tab-targeting games.

They are also using Amazon game servers now, so they might have to optimize for those servers compared to what they used before (NCSoft servers).
    Culling would like to have a word with you sir.
    Viper482
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

botrytis said:

Shutara said:

Isn't the GW2 engine the GW1 engine?
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    skeaser said:
    I was under the impression that they made GW2, because they wanted to do a lot of things that the GW1 engine would not allow them to do, so, they made GW2 on a whole new engine and platform.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    skeaser said:
    I was under the impression that they made GW2, because they wanted to do a lot of things that the GW1 engine would not allow them to do, so, they made GW2 on a whole new engine and platform.
    No - GW2 is on a modified GW1 engine. That is why the games deliver patches the exact same way. A.Net has a patent on that to make it easier to deliver content and patches.

bcbully said:
    botrytis said:

Shutara said:

Culling would like to have a word with you sir.
    I don't have culling. Most people are having issues with lag not culling. That was problems when another patch came out and A.Net fixed that.
    psychosiz1

botrytis said:
    Ungood said:
    skeaser said:
    No - GW2 is on a modified GW1 engine. That is why the games deliver patches the exact same way. A.Net has a patent on that to make it easier to deliver content and patches.
    then why the hell make a whole new game?
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited July 2020
    Ungood said:
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:
    skeaser said:
    then why the hell make a whole new game?
    Upgrading an engine essentially means redeveloping all the assets for the new engine. It isn't as simple as plug and play, much as everyone would want to believe otherwise.

I'd have loved for it to be the case, since I think GW1 is a much more unique game, but they clearly didn't want to redevelop it for an upgrade.

I think there are also certain things they wanted to get away from. For example, the standalone campaign model meant that they had to make clone skills to guarantee minimum viable builds for each expansion. Why they didn't just make a large set of core skills is beyond me. They also set a precedent that each campaign would have two new classes, while also supporting the old ones with new content. And while I don't think it actually matters, it has been brought up that new classes/skills could overpower old content.

They also clearly bought into the popular mindset that open world = good, instances = bad. It's a stupid mindset, because the fully instanced approach offers unique advantages that GW1 really took advantage of (and most modern instanced games do not). Regardless, they clearly wanted a MMO, and thus abandoned the incredible CRPG they already had. 

Shit, more modern games like Destiny, Warframe, and Marvel Heroes have shown that you can have your cake and eat it too. You can put large, persistent MMO-lite patrol instances with dynamic events inside of a fully instanced game. They're a lot of fun, and if the GW1 engine were capable of it, I'd love to see it.
    psychosiz1
    I get that making a new engine takes time and resources, hence the 5 year break between GW1 pretty much going Maintenance mode, and GW2 launching.

But then again, I have already come to terms that Anet had no concept of long term development, hence their willingness to just toss out whatever, because no doubt their abandoned "Side" project was GW3 and they already had plans to maintenance mode GW2 by now, so they didn't care if people left or felt alienated by their choice in GW2, with the knowing that they would get most of them and a whole lot more back, with a GW3 launch.

They very well might have been correct, but it seems that plan kinda died in the water, and now they are stuck with the bed they made, no wonder so many jumped ship.

doomex

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited July 2020

botrytis said:

Shutara said:

I would disagree with that. What makes GW2 lag worse is the culling, where enemy does not even render on your screen. Not sure if that is still a thing but it was last time I was in that mess. And ESO has the same collision detection. GW2 WvW has been egregiously neglected since release, that's one difference. It is why I quit that game long ago. For all its faults I would take Cyrodiil over WvW any day.
    Ungoodpsychosiz1bcbully
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Ungood said:
    I get that making a new engine takes time and resources, hence the 5 year break between GW1 pretty much going Maintenance mode, and GW2 launching.

But then again, I have already come to terms that Anet had no concept of long term development, hence their willingness to just toss out whatever, because no doubt their abandoned "Side" project was GW3 and they already had plans to maintenance mode GW2 by now, so they didn't care if people left or felt alienated by their choice in GW2, with the knowing that they would get most of them and a whole lot more back, with a GW3 launch.

They very well might have been correct, but it seems that plan kinda died in the water, and now they are stuck with the bed they made, no wonder so many jumped ship.

Well, the plan from the beginning was biweekly content updates. That was meant to be inherently, adaptable, I'm sure. Because even if multiple updates could happen before negative feedback really impacts the game's direction, the frequency of updates should keep the community satisfied in the meantime. 

Of course, the reality that this cadence was unfeasible should be obvious. Putting out content at that speed results in wildly inconsistent quality. Some of Season 1 was great. Some of it was bugged to Hell. Some of it offered a sizeable and unique experience. Some of it wasn't even worth the 2 week wait. Damn near all of it was temporary.

I shouldn't have to explain that the expansions were the result of that. They came about as a desire for permanent content and features that the biweekly cadence (that eventually became a 'when it's ready' deal in Season 2) weren't delivering. 

Maybe that was the wrong decision. Maybe players were confused and didn't truly want endgame so much as more permanent new content in the moment. I don't know and I don't claim to know. I do know that what I personally wanted was more skills and build diversity to play with, and if the expansions had only delivered that through advanced classes (which they also really needed to add a f2p Core Tyria advanced class for the sake of fairness), with normal content, I would have been completely satisfied. That's the largest part of what I look forward to anyway.

I think that nowadays, they at least have a direction. The 3-4 month content updates are really excellent and reliable. Having a new map and story on such a predictable basis is amazing.
    botrytis
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:

Well, the plan from the beginning was biweekly content updates. That was meant to be inherently, adaptable, I'm sure. Because even if multiple updates could happen before negative feedback really impacts the game's direction, the frequency of updates should keep the community satisfied in the meantime. 

Of course, the reality that this cadence was unfeasible should be obvious. Putting out content at that speed results in wildly inconsistent quality. Some of Season 1 was great. Some of it was bugged to Hell. Some of it offered a sizeable and unique experience. Some of it wasn't even worth the 2 week wait. Damn near all of it was temporary.

I shouldn't have to explain that the expansions were the result of that. They came about as a desire for permanent content and features that the biweekly cadence (that eventually became a 'when it's ready' deal in Season 2) weren't delivering. 

Maybe that was the wrong decision. Maybe players were confused and didn't truly want endgame so much as more permanent new content in the moment. I don't know and I don't claim to know. I do know that what I personally wanted was more skills and build diversity to play with, and if the expansions had only delivered that through advanced classes (which they also really needed to add a f2p Core Tyria advanced class for the sake of fairness), with normal content, I would have been completely satisfied. That's the largest part of what I look forward to anyway.

I think that nowadays, they at least have a direction. The 3-4 month content updates are really excellent and reliable. Having a new map and story on such a predictable basis is amazing.
    .. I get the fan-boi.. Really I do. But, you can't tell me a game you stopped playing is "Amazing" and expect to be taken serious.
    Aeander

Ungood said:

With the way people talk, I don't think there will be a GW3. Why should they? People will say, 'It's not GW1' and others 'It's not GW2'.

I think they did but being owned by NCSoft, who really only has games in Asia now, which is a totally different market, makes it hard for A.Net to really do anything (my opinion).

No long term planning? The game is 8 yrs old. Yeah - they had no long term plan.

Ungood said:
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:

.. I get the fan-boi.. Really I do. But, you can't tell me a game you stopped playing is "Amazing" and expect to be taken serious.
    Almost 5,000 hours will do that. My problem has always been that I set too many simultaneous goals for myself and I remake too many characters. I've deleted more level 80s than most people own. These are bad habits that result in a lot of wheel spinning and eventual burnout. 

Some people say there isn't enough to do. I laugh and say that there's so much to do that I overwhelm myself with goals. That actually is amazing.
    Viper482 said:

botrytis said:

Shutara said:

I would disagree with that. What makes GW2 lag worse is the culling, where enemy does not even render on your screen. Not sure if that is still a thing but it was last time I was in that mess. And ESO has the same collision detection. GW2 WvW has been egregiously neglected since release, that's one difference. It is why I quit that game long ago. For all its faults I would take Cyrodiil over WvW any day.
    It is not a thing anymore - hasn't been since Southsun Cove came out. 

It also depends on your distance you have set and the number of players set in your video presets in the game. If you have it very set for very short distance, than it is your rendering that is the issue not culling. Two very different things.

edited July 2020
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:

With the way people talk, I don't think there will be a GW3. Why should they? People will say, 'It's not GW1' and others 'It's not GW2'.

I think they did but being owned by NCSoft, who really only has games in Asia now, which is a totally different market, makes it hard for A.Net to really do anything (my opinion).

No long term planning? The game is 8 yrs old. Yeah - they had no long term plan.
    Surviving is not the same as having a plan.

Millions upon millions of people survive for 60+ years without any real plan of what to do with their life, they just seek to survive, and react as situations come up. The same could be said for Anet, they might have had a plan at the start, but that was long dead by the end of season 1, where they just kept changing things, trying new things, tossing out anything they thought might work and getting rid of things that were not working well enough for them.

Also keep in mind, when NCSoft basically shut down their side project, that they had half their 300+ team working on, that was so important to them and they were so invested into that project, they openly let HoT fumble around and launch with many unfinished features... after NCSoft shut that down.. MO quit. If there was a sign that the plan was to drop GW2 and launch that "side" project as their new flagship.. that would be it.

So yah.. they may have had a plan, and It is a very safe bet that plan was to drop GW2, and launch GW3, just like what they did to GW1.

botrytis said:
    Ungood said:

I guess my deal is that the market should have a place for both. GW2 would make for a fine standard MMO, but something like the original would also fill a gap in the market. If they were smart, they'd support both so as to not be the one game studio that they are today.

Of course, with the direction of the industry something tells me that GW3 would be "everything you love about GW2 on your phone." 
    Aeander said:
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:

I guess my deal is that the market should have a place for both. GW2 would make for a fine standard MMO, but something like the original would also fill a gap in the market. If they were smart, they'd support both so as to not be the one game studio that they are today.

Of course, with the direction of the industry something tells me that GW3 would be "everything you love about GW2 on your phone." 
    They have one person working PT on GW1. He brought improved graphics to GW1, from GW2. GW1 will still be up as long as there are servers for GW2.

I think that is the game that was being developed before the big cull that happened in the recent past. They were working on a mobile game, but was canned by NCSoft.

edited July 2020
    botrytis said:
    Aeander said:
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:

They have one person working PT on GW1. He brought improved graphics to GW1, from GW2. GW1 will still be up as long as there are servers for GW2.

I think that is the game that was being developed before the big cull that happened in the recent past. They were working on a mobile game, but was canned by NCSoft.
    Which is great. I applaud the effort. The man is a damn hero.

But it isn't enough to bring back the population needed to make certain content/modes lively again. My favorite past-times (aside from PvE) were Alliance Battles and Fort Aspenwood. These need more players if I'm ever to really enjoy them again. And GW2's WvW will never be a viable substitute for AB's for me. Namely because ABs were actually fun.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Aeander said:
    botrytis said:
    Aeander said:
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:

Which is great. I applaud the effort. The man is a damn hero.

But it isn't enough to bring back the population needed to make certain content/modes lively again. My favorite past-times (aside from PvE) were Alliance Battles and Fort Aspenwood. These need more players if I'm ever to really enjoy them again. And GW2's WvW will never be a viable substitute for AB's for me. Namely because ABs were actually fun.

making the game worse over the years also don't help
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • doomexdoomex Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Wish they would update their damn engine just like wow did, to work well on multicore.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    doomex said:
    Wish they would update their damn engine just like wow did, to work well on multicore.

wow did? still looks like crap to me
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    doomex said:

wow did? still looks like crap to me
    It has had major graphical updates. The side by side comparisons are striking. The old models really did look like shit.

But the difference is that WoW is the largest MMO in the industry with an active subscription fee and expansions... that still has the gall to have a cash shop. I would be frankly appalled if they didn't do things like this with the money that they fleece from their players.
    doomex said:
    WOW is not multicore either - they just put more stuff on the servers. GW2 relies more on the server and PC connection, hence why the PING that is reported in game is actually the connect to the game server and back not just one way. So, connection issues can hamper GW2 - I remember about 9 months ago there was a router between me and the game server dropping packets like mad. It affected play. I had to show the ISP proof it was them and not me or the game.

Well, when you have as many people as WOW, that can happen, A.Net is small maybe 200-250 employees. Blizzard North is 4700.