Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End of an era, DAOC goes F2P today

13»

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    edited November 2019
    Wizardry said:
    Took me all of one day to realize this game was just bad.Back then there wasn't much competition in the gaming market,sure lot's of console games but even with a smallish PC market DAOC would be far far down my list,Geesh AnarchyOnline was better and there was a game i forget the name of that recently went under that was even better.

I would play that MO run by a kid game over DAOC,That game run by a Greek was also a better choice,yeah i am saying DAOC was just a really bad game.What did people even find interesting about the game...pvp?

PVP in a rpg carries zero value for me.

You and your unconventional opinions.....so edgy. 

/rolleyes
    UtinniKyleran
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    SlyLoK said:

It was unfinished. Hibernia for example didn't have all of its content.
    My first lvl 50 was an Enchanter. I don't recall any missing content.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    https://playphoenix.online/

Nobody cares about live DAoC
    ultimateduck
    Utinni said:

I do. The best way to get a DAoC2 type game is to support the original DAoC when you get the urge to play.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited November 2019
    SlyLoK said:

You weren't paying attention then or have forgotten.

Quite a few zones were very sparsely populated as they were pushed out too early.

Play a pre SI freeshard with a 1.69 RSV and you can see how it was back then.

As a chanter you probably spent much of your time pulling for groups in one of a few camps (Finns, Gobos) from level 42 or so onwards and may not have noticed so much.
    SlyLoK

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    edited November 2019
    Viper482 said:
    Wizardry said:
    Took me all of one day to realize this game was just bad.Back then there wasn't much competition in the gaming market,sure lot's of console games but even with a smallish PC market DAOC would be far far down my list,Geesh AnarchyOnline was better and there was a game i forget the name of that recently went under that was even better.

I would play that MO run by a kid game over DAOC,That game run by a Greek was also a better choice,yeah i am saying DAOC was just a really bad game.What did people even find interesting about the game...pvp?

PVP in a rpg carries zero value for me.

You and your unconventional opinions.....so edgy. 

/rolleyes
    He hates every game ever made based on his posts on this forum.  Not sure why he even bothers coming here or playing any game for that matter.
    Viper482
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    SlyLoK said:
    gervaise1 said:

The differences were great - or not; sort of, maybe, potentially. 

The classes were never fully tested pre-launch - DAoC was pushed out unfinished. Then there was the new character class added with the "annual expansion". Which had to be "the best" to drive sales. 

So it was balance patch after balance patch from day 1. Usually monthly - hence fotm. And this was not at all wonderful.
    DAoC didn't launch unfinished...lol. It did launch with bugs, as do all MMOs. It's just a very old MMO.

They definitely didn't drop an "annual expansion" for sales. SI with 6 new classes was free. Foundations had no new classes and was free. ToA added new races and was the first payed expansion 2 years after release. New Frontiers was free and no new classes. Catacombs was paid and added new classes, which is the first paid expansion to add classes three years after release. DR was paid and had no new classes, Lab was free and included one race and class I believe. Most people didn't play FotM build, they played the builds they liked.

You sure you're talking about DAoC?
    And Albion's dungeons were not stocked - which caused much gnashing of teeth and grumbling.  

As for expansions to drive sales that is precisely what MJ said. Emulate the EQ1 model to drive sales. SI was paid btw - in the EU anyway. 

Did people play what they liked or fotm? Well Mythic did a lot of coding for nothing if people were simply playing what they liked. Or maybe they weren't. Neither I - or you - know. The changes were pretty constant though.

SlyLoKKyleran
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    SlyLoK said:

And? It was a fact. They got it added after release.
    SlyLoK said:
    and?... I never noticed a problem. Never had it effect my leveling.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    SlyLoK said:
    and?... I never noticed a problem. Never had it effect my leveling.
    Not as a Chanter, more solo centric classes definitely could struggle to find appropriate level NPCs to killl.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    It's funny but I never played DAOC on the official servers, always on private ones.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Utinni said:

I do. The best way to get a DAoC2 type game is to support the original DAoC when you get the urge to play.
    ESO is probably your closest bet for an actual live game. I doubt we'll ever see another DAoC.
    Kylerangervaise1SpiritofGame
  • SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    edited March 2020
    I loved DAoC RvR back in the day, and I played all three realms at different times.  All were fun.

But now, DAoC is a Model T Ford.  It's old and clunky and the graphics are archaic.

~~~

Here's a tip:

Elder Scrolls Online is playable on PC, XBox or PlayStation and the mega-server is divided by Region and by Platform.

Essentially, Cyrodiil and Imperial City are the PvP (AvA, Alliance vs Alliance) areas of the game.  Like DAoC, you can begin in the HUGE and GROWING PvE areas, which are fun and interesting, and at level 10 you can do the small Battlegrounds -- or -- you can do Non-Champion Points Cyrodiil.  (ESO PvP/AvA is essentially an updated copy-paste of DAoC RvR system:o   :D   :o

Champion Points-enabled PvP/AvA is for the full Level 50 characters with MAX Champion Point passive buffs -- 810 CP currently.  It's like DAoC's Realm Point system.  Yes, you CAN play in the CP-enabled AvA Cyrodiil area without full CP but you will be at a severe disadvantage.  The good point is that you can operate siege weapons as well as anyone!   :D

All the things you know and love about RvR is in ESO AvA like siege warfare with battering rams, catapults, ballistas, etc., attacking and taking castles, outposts, and resource outposts, big battles, small battles, nightblade gankers (rogues), archers, tanks, mages, healers, etc.  If you played DAoC PvP/RvR, then you already understand ESO PvP/AvA.

However, the best part is that the game is GORGEOUS and graphically stunning with excellent combat animations.

This year, they are pushing Performance Optimization and this is important since ESO is currently 15 million players worldwide and growing.  There are A LOT of people playing!

~~~

Also, ESO's PvE game is huge and contains the greater part of the world with all manner of PvE activities, overland questing, soloable dungeons (delves) and group dungeons.

(Edit -- forgot to mention Crafting!  Tons of crafting to enjoy! :smiley: )

Character customization is deep and armor and weapon styles and costumes are beautifully designed and always increasing.   And there is lots of customizable player housing at small, medium (for individual players) and humongous sizes (like, for guilds).<3

Sorry, this went so long, but I wanted my old-time DAoC players to know that if you want a new game, an immense and growing game that has excellent PvE and a three-alliance  AvA (RvR) system, that game exists in ESO.

Try it -- I think you will be pleased.

Special Note:  if you play on XBox or PlayStation, haul your comfy chair up to your HUGE Ultra High Def TV and enjoy the amazing graphic beauty of the game!   <3

In this time of "social distancing" a good video game is like gold!   :D

Signed,
    "Ivy Wanderwild"
    Bosmer (Wood Elf) Nightblade
    NA (North America) Server, PlayStation

Post edited by SpiritofGame on

~ Ancient Membership ~

• Babyboy5189Babyboy5189 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited July 2020
    I loved DAoC RvR back in the day, and I played all three realms at different times.  All were fun.

But now, DAoC is a Model T Ford.  It's old and clunky and the graphics are archaic.

~~~

Here's a tip:

Elder Scrolls Online is playable on PC, XBox or PlayStation and the mega-server is divided by Region and by Platform.

Essentially, Cyrodiil and Imperial City are the PvP (AvA, Alliance vs Alliance) areas of the game.  Like DAoC, you can begin in the HUGE and GROWING PvE areas, which are fun and interesting, and at level 10 you can do the small Battlegrounds -- or -- you can do Non-Champion Points Cyrodiil.  (ESO PvP/AvA is essentially an updated copy-paste of DAoC RvR system:o   :D   :o

Champion Points-enabled PvP/AvA is for the full Level 50 characters with MAX Champion Point passive buffs -- 810 CP currently.  It's like DAoC's Realm Point system.  Yes, you CAN play in the CP-enabled AvA Cyrodiil area without full CP but you will be at a severe disadvantage.  The good point is that you can operate siege weapons as well as anyone!   :D

All the things you know and love about RvR is in ESO AvA like siege warfare with battering rams, catapults, ballistas, etc., attacking and taking castles, outposts, and resource outposts, big battles, small battles, nightblade gankers (rogues), archers, tanks, mages, healers, etc.  If you played DAoC PvP/RvR, then you already understand ESO PvP/AvA.

However, the best part is that the game is GORGEOUS and graphically stunning with excellent combat animations.

This year, they are pushing Performance Optimization and this is important since ESO is currently 15 million players worldwide and growing.  There are A LOT of people playing!

~~~

Also, ESO's PvE game is huge and contains the greater part of the world with all manner of PvE activities, overland questing, soloable dungeons (delves) and group dungeons.

(Edit -- forgot to mention Crafting!  Tons of crafting to enjoy! :smiley: )

Character customization is deep and armor and weapon styles and costumes are beautifully designed and always increasing.   And there is lots of customizable player housing at small, medium (for individual players) and humongous sizes (like, for guilds).<3

Sorry, this went so long, but I wanted my old-time DAoC players to know that if you want a new game, an immense and growing game that has excellent PvE and a three-alliance  AvA (RvR) system, that game exists in ESO.

Try it -- I think you will be pleased.

Special Note:  if you play on XBox or PlayStation, haul your comfy chair up to your HUGE Ultra High Def TV and enjoy the amazing graphic beauty of the game!   <3

In this time of "social distancing" a good video game is like gold!   :D

Signed,
    "Ivy Wanderwild"
    Bosmer (Wood Elf) Nightblade
    NA (North America) Server, PlayStation

Hey man just in case you didn't know "Matt Firor" the guy who was one of DAOC designer's is also involved with ESO. That's why it's very similar and that's why I personally involved myself in the ESO closed beta so many moons ago. But do I play ESO since playing the beta and getting the game on release?...No. Would I go back to DAOC? Hell yeah! I've realized that if you peel back all those graphics on ESO what do you honestly have? I'd say Daoc with it's old looking self still has ESO beat where it truly counts.. I've had some of my best gaming memories to this day all because of DAOC. The lore back then just was in a league of it's own, the community? Unmatched to this day. There was rarely a time you couldn't find a pick up group while exping exploring your realm! Every stranger back then was looking to have a good time! Though that level 1-50 grind was brutal but once you achieved 50 you felt like a King!(Kings armor quest aside) I even follow Daoc's social media posts and there's so many similar positive memories from those earlier 2000s days. I'm sure there's many others who could say such great things about this game but I honestly feel this new era of gaming with ESO as a newer staple could never touch what DAOC is and was in it's prime...So long story short I feel majority of DAOC die hard fans won't find a replacement in their heart with ESO...