Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Waylanders Early Access Impressions

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageThe Waylanders Early Access Impressions

I've gotten hands-on with The Waylanders during Early Access and have put nearly a dozen hours exploring the world of Galicia. So is this the next great RPG of our times, or should you hold off on The Waylanders? Here's our thoughts.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Sorry... they sold this "Early Access" in Steam for $31.49 and refused to allow people who bought the $30 Kickstarter tier into the game (or even pay the difference). That's beyond low.
    migthefig

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Sorry... they sold this "Early Access" in Steam for $31.49 and refused to allow people who bought the $30 Kickstarter tier into the game (or even pay the difference). That's beyond low.
    Wow, is there more to the story than that?  That sounds like a shit move.
    Nanfoodle
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Been a while since I have seen a review that actually stated "Buyer Beware". I appreciate that a lot as it isn't just some paid fluff piece which have become all to rampant in sites today. Felt this was an honest review that the game really isn't ready for people yet other than those that truly want to be a part of the testing.

Steam EA is an awful product in itself, it has doomed many games already because people go in thinking they are buying a full product that is ready to play. I would always advise any gamer to stay away from anything Steam EA unless you actually want to be a tester for a product that might never live up to the hype of the development.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Not really.   The base game cost $30 in Kickstarter.  They are calling this "Early Access" and are not allowing those who bought the base game to play it until it launches... sometime next year.   When asked about it the studio responded that they would give "extras" to the backers which would make it all OK.

They said Kickstarter backers can pay an extra $10 ($40 total) to get access to the Early Access game currently on Steam which they offered new people for $31.49

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Not really.   The base game cost $30 in Kickstarter.  They are calling this "Early Access" and are not allowing those who bought the base game to play it until it launches... sometime next year.   When asked about it the studio responded that they would give "extras" to the backers which would make it all OK.

They said Kickstarter backers can pay an extra $10 ($40 total) to get access to the Early Access game currently on Steam which they offered new people for $31.49

Yeah, that's shitty.  They don't care if they piss off their original backers over a few dollars, I guess.  They've already got their money.
    angerbeaver
  • PortzPortz Member UncommonPosts: 118
    My library is full of those RPGS that ended up unfinished for years and still are in alpha. Got them through cheap bundle so no loss on me.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    Early Access implies a product exists that you can have early access to for a fee. This is different than a kickstarter game that takes donations without any guarantee of a product at all, like Star Citizen.

In this case, they are going to have to produce something for sale. Once they do that, and it gets decent to good reviews, I might take a look.
    HatefullTuor7

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• onemegonemeg Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I really wish the whole "early access" concept was taken off of steam. All they are doing is getting people to pay to be beta testers. This review, while may be accurate, is an alpha review. Things like the character stuck in a T-pose don't matter at all, obviously this type of thing would be fixed before go-live. Alpha reviews like this ultimately hurt a game, even if everything broken is fixed at launch because it creates an air of negativity around a game before it even launches. That's one reason early access is bad, the other reason is unfortunately, sometimes when they "make enough money" from the early access stage games never get finished. Or maybe they run out of funding, or some other reason but the result is ultimately the same - people paid for an unfinished product.
    Personally I will never kickstart another game, nor purchase anything in early access again. It's a bad idea for games and gamers, and only good for devs that want people to pay to be beta (or alpha) testers. My two coppers.
    GarrickDRboris20
  • GarrickDRGarrickDR Member UncommonPosts: 28

onemeg said:

I really wish the whole "early access" concept was taken off of steam. All they are doing is getting people to pay to be beta testers. This review, while may be accurate, is an alpha review. Things like the character stuck in a T-pose don't matter at all, obviously this type of thing would be fixed before go-live. Alpha reviews like this ultimately hurt a game, even if everything broken is fixed at launch because it creates an air of negativity around a game before it even launches.

I couldn't agree more! I think Early Access ultimately hurts a game. I was personally very excited for The Waylanders because I am someone, like I alluded to in my preview, that can't wait for Dragon Age 4. That said, I've played many other games in 'Early Access' that are a lot more polished than this. If anything, maybe separate Early Access tiers should be introduced? Like EA Alpha and EA Beta tiers?

And that's why we wanted to give a preview for The Waylanders. It's a lot rougher than other EA launches (in my experience), so I wanted to relay information about the state of the game currently. Already, there have been several updates like I mentioned in the preview. Rest assured, when The Waylanders officially launches, I intend to give it a fresh set of eyes and a fair shake. If not me then someone else, to be sure!

Thanks for your two coppers!
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

This review, while may be accurate, is an alpha review. Things like the character stuck in a T-pose don't matter at all, obviously this type of thing would be fixed before go-live.

You'd think, but Wolcen was "released" and still had T-Pose issues and cutscene issues. Those never got fixed in Alpha or Beta and was released on Steam.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

This review, while may be accurate, is an alpha review. Things like the character stuck in a T-pose don't matter at all, obviously this type of thing would be fixed before go-live.

You'd think, but Wolcen was "released" and still had T-Pose issues and cutscene issues. Those never got fixed in Alpha or Beta and was released on Steam.

why would tehy? you already paid
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.