Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOSide Chat - Do You Like Log-In Rewards?

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageMMOSide Chat - Do You Like Log-In Rewards?

We're talking daily log-in rewards on this MMOSide chat - love them, hate them, we want to know. Do you like log-in rewards in your MMORPG?

Read the full story here

Comments

• BlackAdder77BlackAdder77 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I like them with i play the game daily, hate them when i feel i need to login just for them.
    TheocritusmoshraSaltyDog79KyleranMcSleazinfomatzGorwegamergoddess40
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Mostly, daily rewards seem to be another way to clutter up a limited storage space.  From my experience, any game that has daily log-in rewards also has a means to sell bank/bag space in-game.  Not my favorite thing.

Valdheimgamergoddess40

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    No.
    [Deleted User]Valdheim
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    I personally do not like them. If the game is good with enough content, logging in to simply play is more then enough reward.

I feel the daily logins are just a way to make the game look more populated then it is. Aka all those announcements you see we have 200k ppl a day on the game... when half are just ppl logging in for 5 mins to get thier daily login.

Tuor7Valdheimzerokaion
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Some games I only log in for rewards until there is something new to do in them.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I love my EvE log in rewards.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    For myself it is not so much i like or hate them it is more i wonder about WHY?Is the developer trying to bait us to stick around or just to login to make the game look busy.

I know my fave game FFXi started doing it but it was done pretty good because you gain points that you can spend on whatever you feel you need.Sometimes it is statues for the home or maybe a rare NPC that only comes around once a year or maybe it is a drop/item you need to do a rare craft.

Outside of FFXi i have not really seen any meaningful login rewards,sometimes it is like 10 or 50 free heal pots and i don't even like when games rely on heal pots.Sometimes the logins are a way to steer us towards their cash shop,again not a cool idea.

I guess what i am saying is not many games put much effort into it,more like a lazy baiting scheme.If the intent seems legit i see no harm but if it seems like a lazy idea,then yeah there is an agenda behind it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298
    No, its annoying and ultimately worthless trash usually done to get people used to and comfortable with using the cash shop interfaces.
    Tuor7
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    remsleep said:

If a game has to entice players with cheap "daily" gimmicks, it just means  that game lacks compelling content to keep players logging in every day.

This is a big red flag for me personally - games that have daily login rewards - means they are compensating for shallow repetitive gameplay.

Personally whenever I see daily rewards - immediate turnoff, as it really exposes the Skinner box design method behing most games.

I'm with remsleep 100% here: daily login rewards are a red flag that usually mean the game is bad or in trouble.

If I'm playing a game that has daily rewards, chances are I completely ignore them as the rewards are usually worthless. If the rewards start becoming meaningful then that signals that the game is in a really bad state, or that the devs are no longer building a game for me. So, I'll leave.
    Tuor7[Deleted User]
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 487
    Having daily log in rewards is an admission that your game is garbage.

Players should be logging in because the game experience itself is fun, memorable, and addictive.

Not log in once a day for 1 min to snatch that crap daily reward just to get that 30th reward that is actually worth something.
    [Deleted User]
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • DadButNotOutDadButNotOut Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    I like daily rewards. Free stuff ppl
    strawhat0981jshackleford8314
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited July 2020

remsleep said:

If a game has to entice players with cheap "daily" gimmicks, it just means  that game lacks compelling content to keep players logging in every day.

This is a big red flag for me personally - games that have daily login rewards - means they are compensating for shallow repetitive gameplay.

Personally whenever I see daily rewards - immediate turnoff, as it really exposes the Skinner box design method behing most games.

I'm with remsleep 100% here: daily login rewards are a red flag that usually mean the game is bad or in trouble.

If I'm playing a game that has daily rewards, chances are I completely ignore them as the rewards are usually worthless. If the rewards start becoming meaningful then that signals that the game is in a really bad state, or that the devs are no longer building a game for me. So, I'll leave.

Well I think you're both 100% wrong and don't have a clue what you're talking about.

See what I did there? Just like you 2, I made an over reaching statement without a shred of evidence to support it.

Are some log in bonuses crap? Sure, LotRO's instantly come to mind, but just because they have them sure doesn't mean the game lacks compelling content or the content they have is shallow.

100% in trouble? NO. DDO had a weekly lottery for a long time. They ended up destroying the database some how and replaced it with a daily log in bonus. Games not bad or in trouble.

Age of Conan pretty much straddles the line, while the normal one's can be ignored if you want, they do provide items for free that you'd need to pay money for in the store so that's not too bad, but during festivals you do need to log in daily to get the end of the 2 weeks main reward, but again the stuff they give you is pretty good and useful.

Daily log in rewards, loyalty rewards, free gifts, what ever. All I see them as is a small gift from the Dev's for playing the game.
    jshackleford8314

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If I am in a game that offers them, I slavishly pursue log in items like the rat in a skinner box that I am.

But I don't like like them. Ultimate EZ mode.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Nebless said:

remsleep said:

Well I think you're both 100% wrong and don't have a clue what you're talking about.

See what I did there? Just like you 2, I made an over reaching statement without a shred of evidence to support it.

Are some log in bonuses crap? Sure, LotRO's instantly come to mind, but just because they have them sure doesn't mean the game lacks compelling content or the content they have is shallow.

100% in trouble? NO. DDO had a weekly lottery for a long time. They ended up destroying the database some how and replaced it with a daily log in bonus. Games not bad or in trouble.

Age of Conan pretty much straddles the line, while the normal one's can be ignored if you want, they do provide items for free that you'd need to pay money for in the store so that's not too bad, but during festivals you do need to log in daily to get the end of the 2 weeks main reward, but again the stuff they give you is pretty good and useful.

Daily log in rewards, loyalty rewards, free gifts, what ever. All I see them as is a small gift from the Dev's for playing the game.

The purpose of a daily login reward is to get you to login more often.

That is only needed if the game can't get you to login through it's own merits.

If the game can't get enough people to login through it's own merits, then it is, by definition, either a bad game or in trouble.
    strawhat0981
  • AirikkEllissonAirikkEllisson Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    personally, it doesn't matter to me, but it would be nice if the reward was something useful instead of just cluttering up my inventory(i.e. health potions etc) But I also agree with the other
    side of the coin . Is the reward used to get people to actually log in? or is the content lacking
    that much that you need to be coaxed to log in ?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    That's a negatory ghost rider.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• dokinbadokinba Newbie CommonPosts: 2

Nebless said:

remsleep said:

If the game can't get enough people to login through it's own merits, then it is, by definition, either a bad game or in trouble.

!!RANT WARNING!!!

This is probably my first post on this website but I just had to chime in how fucking negative everyone on here is. Daily rewards do not mean a game is bad or dying, or doesn't have content to force me to login. I'm going to use the example game that everyone loves to hate, BDO.

I love BDO, but I don't have nearly the time I did to play it 3 years ago. I do however keep fishing, cooking, farming and a few simple things I can complete in 45min or less every night if time allows. But login rewards have really helped me continue to make gains in areas I don't have the time to collect materials for. Every few months I use the materials from login rewards to either make/enhance items or sell them for cash to use towards things I need. Without the login rewards my progress would be ALOT less then it is now. The developers have also given away plenty of cash items as daily logins that have rounded out my account and increased my personal QoL even during my short play sessions. Roast me if you want, but this place is a echo chamber of negativity and I check the comments alot less these days. Most of you people act like your opinion is a absolute truth.

/endrant

tldr: as a filthy casual I love login rewards
    Ungoodstrawhat0981jshackleford8314Nyghthowler
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    GW2 does log in rewards the best I have seen. Miss a day and you don't lose out. You just get that days reward tomorrow. Also all the rewards are useful. Even helping you get end game gear. More games need to take note of GW2 in this matter.

In short I love log in rewards, if done right.
    Pirrayastrawhat0981jshackleford8314Nyghthowler
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    remsleep said:

lol @ Kano
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Hate them with a passion.

Are they ever even done without accompanying ads for whatever they're pushing? In every case I can think of, the log-in reward is secondary to the ad they make you see while collecting them.

It's just a thinly disguised form of in-game advertising.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]SensaiValdheim
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Iselin said:
    Hate them with a passion.

Are they ever even done without accompanying ads for whatever they're pushing? In every case I can think of, the log-in reward is secondary to the ad they make you see while collecting them.

It's just a thinly disguised form of in-game advertising.
    Ya, GW2 just drops a treasure chest on your screen and opening shows you how to earn more daily rewards not by doing anything but playing the game. 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    dokinba said:

Nebless said:

remsleep said:

!!RANT WARNING!!!

This is probably my first post on this website but I just had to chime in how fucking negative everyone on here is. Daily rewards do not mean a game is bad or dying, or doesn't have content to force me to login. I'm going to use the example game that everyone loves to hate, BDO.

I love BDO, but I don't have nearly the time I did to play it 3 years ago. I do however keep fishing, cooking, farming and a few simple things I can complete in 45min or less every night if time allows. But login rewards have really helped me continue to make gains in areas I don't have the time to collect materials for. Every few months I use the materials from login rewards to either make/enhance items or sell them for cash to use towards things I need. Without the login rewards my progress would be ALOT less then it is now. The developers have also given away plenty of cash items as daily logins that have rounded out my account and increased my personal QoL even during my short play sessions. Roast me if you want, but this place is a echo chamber of negativity and I check the comments alot less these days. Most of you people act like your opinion is a absolute truth.

/endrant

Just a heads up, people here hate free stuff, they like being ganked in owpvp, they hate stories in games, hate reading, hate decent graphics, and anything mainstream for the most part. Really no one here likes MMORPGs ......So Welcome.
    Viper482jshackleford8314Nyghthowler
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    dokinba said:

Nebless said:

remsleep said:

!!RANT WARNING!!!

/endrant

Welcome to the forums. Of course you love them, it's OK to enjoy playing bad games, I see people here do it all of the time.

Bad of course being any game I don't like, right?

Keep coming back.

:)
    Ungood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Can't stand them. It makes it feel like if you have to miss a day for something in the real world you missed out. Gaming should be for fun, not logging in to get rewards everyday because you feel like you have to or miss out.
    ValdheimGorwe
  • ValdheimValdheim Member RarePosts: 614
    Wanted to add my two cents but you guys said everything that has to be said. Usually I try to avoid being negative but everything involving the word 'daily' triggers me so hard I just can't sit still :#

Daily Log-In rewards are basically a daily quests little cousin. The only thing similar I can tolerate are loyalty systems, like the one FFXIV is using, where you get rewards based on how long you've been subscribed to a game.

Tuor7