Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Baldur's Gate 3 Hits Steam Early Access in August...Maybe

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited June 2020 in Videos Discussion

imageBaldur's Gate 3 Hits Steam Early Access in August...Maybe

It looks like Baldur's Gate 3 is headed to Steam Early Access in August 2020...maybe.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Will bg3 ea come in august? "rolls dice"
    achesomaScotultimateduckstrawhat0981
  • redcoreredcore Member UncommonPosts: 108
    maybe.../shaking head, and -10 points for incredibly boring trailer.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

Remali said:

Will bg3 ea come in august? "rolls dice"

Goodluck. Covid has AC of 19.
    strawhat0981
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Odd,why did i see a WOTC logo on the screen.My main concern,how open does the world feel or is it mostly dungeon crawling.Well we didn't see enough,a hint there is some open world how much we don't know.
    Also it only hinted at one character instead of a team so i smell a lazy effort here like all the rest of developers in this era of gaming.
    Panzerbeorne39

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• EnsiferEnsifer Member UncommonPosts: 49

Wizardry said:

Odd,why did i see a WOTC logo on the screen.My main concern,how open does the world feel or is it mostly dungeon crawling.Well we didn't see enough,a hint there is some open world how much we don't know.

Also it only hinted at one character instead of a team so i smell a lazy effort here like all the rest of developers in this era of gaming.

First off Larian Studios makes the Divinity games which are both team based games, baldurs gate 1 & 2 are both also team based. So why would you even think it would be a possibility that this would be a single character? Second again its being made by Larian studios and its Baldurs gate so you can assume its semi open world with lots of guidance on where to go. Third WOTC publishes D&D which is what Baldurs Gate uses as a ruleset.
    Valdheim
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    Sold me at BG3.
    achesomastrawhat0981
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    I can wait... I don't want to, but I can. I've been craving a good RPG for a few months now.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    If they do this anything like the first two games an don't try and change a ton of stuff this will be a great game. The first two where two of my favorite games. Developers tend to screw up when they try an take a game system that is great an innovate on it an end up destroying everything that made them good in the process most of the time. If they just use the same game flow and basic combat from the first two and updated graphics they will have a great game.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Cannot wait will be a definite buy later  when it is in full release.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    maybe? why announce if it's still a maybe.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Great to see they're making progress.

Early Access doesn't really interest me but the fact that they'll be at that milestone in a couple of months means we don't have all that long to wait for the full release. Larian is not the kind of studio that will keep the game in EA for years.1
    YashaXValdheimstrawhat0981
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

It’s really a shame this studio got ahold of BG. Their DOS games are unmitigated disasters and highly overrated games. They aren’t real RPGs. Lazy amateur hour crap loaded with bad game design and cringe writing.

I would argue that BG is overrated before Divinity, and I'm a huge BG fan. Divinity just does so much more than BG ever did in terms of gameplay. The writing isn't as good, but that's to be expected considering the powerhouse writers WOTC has at their disposal.
    YashaX
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    It’s really a shame this studio got ahold of BG. Their DOS games are unmitigated disasters and highly overrated games. They aren’t real RPGs. Lazy amateur hour crap loaded with bad game design and cringe writing.
    I think there are a ton of people who would disagree with you. Otherwise you don't really know what "unmitigated disaster" actually means.

I'll agree I don't like their writing but there are worse games out there for writing. And in truth, the Baldur's Gate games didn't really have "amazing writing."
    YashaX
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Sovrath said:

I think there are a ton of people who would disagree with you. Otherwise you don't really know what "unmitigated disaster" actually means.

I'll agree I don't like their writing but there are worse games out there for writing. And in truth, the Baldur's Gate games didn't really have "amazing writing."

the divinity games are good, but the way they are working on BG3 is kinda wrong, looks more like a game who is happening in swordcoast, not a real baldur gate game, and for that they could call it anything
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well you have to rate games by the era they were created and not by the overall scope of gaming.
    BG 1998,i was actually surprised it was late 90's but still that is 22 years ago,that's a long time.I owned at least two sets of BG,the large foldout with the 6 or 8 discs and i enjoyed it for that era of gaming.

Fast Forward i bought Divinity Original Sin:I felt the game did not do a very good job of advancement in the field of game design 16 years after BG and when compared to other rpg's made back in the early 2000's.IMO Divinity was a step backwards.

So now fast forward 5-6 more years,i had an assumption it was going to be a very weak video.Well i was surprised the video looks ok but there wasn't really much at all to see in the video,so it might be a smokescreen or it might be good who knows.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Sovrath said:

the divinity games are good, but the way they are working on BG3 is kinda wrong, looks more like a game who is happening in swordcoast, not a real baldur gate game, and for that they could call it anything
    I think that's where the expectations would have to change.

It's essentialy "Larian's Baldur's Gate" as opposed to them taking the previous Baldur's Gates games and expanding them.

I'm sure that there are people who would have wanted the same type of art design/graphics as the previous games but with quality of life improvements and a new adventure.

For this, it's "how can we, with our style, make a Baldur's Gate game."

And if people can get on board with that it it "could" be good. What I saw at PAX East was good so I'm ok with at least trying it.
    YashaX

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Sovrath said:

Sovrath said:

It's essentialy "Larian's Baldur's Gate" as opposed to them taking the previous Baldur's Gates games and expanding them.

I'm sure that there are people who would have wanted the same type of art design/graphics as the previous games but with quality of life improvements and a new adventure.

And if people can get on board with that it it "could" be good. What I saw at PAX East was good so I'm ok with at least trying it.

and here is where you are wrong, if they wanted so much to do a game like this they could use a new name or make a new ip using baldur's gate as a main city, baldurs gate was never a city with only one adventure tale to tell.

problem is they ARE using baldur gate name and IP to try and sell, doing so make you have certain expectations based on the previos games, if you can't keep this up better don't make it, or amke a new ip, or get ready for the backslash.

so what you can AND SHOULD expect from a baldur's gate 3 game,

real time combat, with we already know they fails to deliver,

at least 6 part members (knowing from divinity don't expect anything more then 4)

telling us the damage done by the last 2 games to sword coast

some others I don't feel like listing really, but I belive these 3 are the main for me at least

I know one is already out, possible another is out too

so yes, even though they are trying to sell the baldur'gate 3 thing it will not be a baldur's gate game, so with lucky maybe after 3 years after launch when I had nothing else to play I will take a look, IF they have a 70% discount on the tag
    YashaX
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    edited June 2020

and here is where you are wrong, if they wanted so much to do a game like this they could use a new name or make a new ip using baldur's gate as a main city, baldurs gate was never a city with only one adventure tale to tell.

problem is they ARE using baldur gate name and IP to try and sell, doing so make you have certain expectations based on the previos games, if you can't keep this up better don't make it, or amke a new ip, or get ready for the backslash.

at least 6 part members (knowing from divinity don't expect anything more then 4)

some others I don't feel like listing really, but I belive these 3 are the main for me at least

so yes, even though they are trying to sell the baldur'gate 3 thing it will not be a baldur's gate game, so with lucky maybe after 3 years after launch when I had nothing else to play I will take a look, IF they have a 70% discount on the tag
    I think that's opinion, not a weighing of "wrong or right." For example, there are people who love Bethesda's Fallout which is a far cry from the original game.

It's no different from a movie studio doing a remake of a movie, it's a new vision using the property.

As far as I know, there are no laws or cardinal rules against taking a property and expanding on it with a different vision.

IselinYashaX

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Sovrath said:

Sovrath said:

I think what you are asking for is a recipe for "unmitigated disaster". Thank god you are not the producer.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Early Access to BG3 ? That doesnt sound good to me at all. :(

BG1 and BG2 both simply released in a finished state. Sure we got a couple bugfix patches, and there later was an addon to each, but that was all.